Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

There was recently a photo posted on Instagram of a private 7th Heaven reunion dinner at one of their homes and the only regular cast member who wasn't there was Ruthie, the youngest daughter. :tinfoil:

ElwoodCuse posted:

Hey, remember that Slimed book about Nickelodeon?

uh

http://flavorwire.com/480990/pete-p...versity-problem

That's a horrifically disgusting interview but I'm not completely against the point he's trying, but failing miserably, to make in regards to Sanjay and Craig. Simply taking a character and making it Indian without there being anything inherently Indian about the character is lovely in its own way.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

lelandjs posted:

I... Is it possible that someone that... uh... opinionated could possibly write an unbiased book? Like, holy poo poo, what the hell does the chapter on All That read like? Does he describe it as a one man show starring the great *checks IMDB for the white guy's name* Josh Server and also some minorities and women?

Kenan and Kel would have been just as good if the characters were white! Why did they need to cast black kids? It's practically blackface!

Has there ever been an unprompted racist/sexist meltdown like that in an article before that's not on like Stormfront or something?

sportsgenius86 posted:

There was recently a photo posted on Instagram of a private 7th Heaven reunion dinner at one of their homes and the only regular cast member who wasn't there was Ruthie, the youngest daughter. :tinfoil:

That's a horrifically disgusting interview but I'm not completely against the point he's trying, but failing miserably, to make in regards to Sanjay and Craig. Simply taking a character and making it Indian without there being anything inherently Indian about the character is lovely in its own way.

How do you figure? Does he need to be speaking in a heavy accent or wearing a turban or some poo poo? Randomly break into Hindu? Bollywood dance numbers? What are your qualifications for an Indian-American character in a TV show?
His point is loving terrible no matter how you look at it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 7, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Chakotay on Star Trek Voyager was such a nuanced character. Especially since he's Native American and went on a vision quest.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

raditts posted:

How do you figure? Does he need to be speaking in a heavy accent or wearing a turban or some poo poo? Randomly break into Hindu? Bollywood dance numbers? What are your qualifications for an Indian-American character in a TV show?

Exactly. Expecting American minority characters in media to act or behave in easy shortcuts is arguably worse than not having them at all. Which isn't to say that having a character behave like that is wrong--while there are issues surrounding Apu, the Simpsons actually went on to do a very good job at fleshing out his character (Lisa The Vegetarian, Apu's Wedding episode). But then again, Apu's a first generation immigrant. His Indian heritage is still a huge part of his life. Now, I haven't seen Sanjay and Craig, but it's reasonable to believe that a second or third generation American kid of Indian heritage doesn't treat his heritage as a significant part of his life, probably because for most second or third generation kids it's simply isn't.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lelandjs posted:

I... Is it possible that someone that... uh... opinionated could possibly write an unbiased book? Like, holy poo poo, what the hell does the chapter on All That read like? Does he describe it as a one man show starring the great *checks IMDB for the white guy's name* Josh Server and also some minorities and women?

I have got to see what this guy looks like. Even before the racism bit, his insistence on Clarissa not fitting into his canon paints a picture of a guy who lugs around his basement, just so he could always live in it.

In TV shows filming outside my office news, Gotham and Allegiance are both lensing in the approximate same area of Brooklyn Heights. Like the same courtyard. Weird.

EDIT: Hahaha he's going into stand up comedy of course.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

I have got to see what this guy looks like. Even before the racism bit, his insistence on Clarissa not fitting into his canon paints a picture of a guy who lugs around his basement, just so he could always live in it.

EDIT: Hahaha he's going into stand up comedy of course.

Take a look at his IMDb bio: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1493227/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yessss it is as I predicted.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shageletic posted:

Yep, that looks about right.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Hello I am a adult.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Shageletic posted:

I'm proud of Torgo for being able to write a whole book.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

raditts posted:

lol no. I mean, I'm overthinking the potential societal impact of a kids show, which is dumb on my part. It's a net positive no matter how you look at it.

My issue is an all-white staff trying to write the character and I communicated that exceptionally poorly.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You should complain about Sanjay and Craig because it's a bad show with really annoying, self-consciously "quirky" main characters, not because it stars an Indian kid

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Vincent Van Gross.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I made a Madam Secretary thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670184

It's obviously no West Wing, but it's quite watchable. Check it out.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ElwoodCuse posted:

Hey, remember that Slimed book about Nickelodeon?

uh

http://flavorwire.com/480990/pete-p...versity-problem

The book was loving awful too. He just dumped a bunch of interviews with no real organization or flow and terrble formatting, you had to constantly flip back and forth to know who was talking about what at any given time and he arbitrarily focused on only the mid-90s while ignoring the network's early years and the second half of its lifetime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The book was loving awful too. He just dumped a bunch of interviews with no real organization or flow and terrble formatting, you had to constantly flip back and forth to know who was talking about what at any given time and he arbitrarily focused on only the mid-90s while ignoring the network's early years and the second half of its lifetime.

Check out this not a 90s kid who doesn't get it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
So I decided to check out Mathew Klickstein's page on Amazon to see what he writes when not focusing on Nickelodeon. If you guessed Erotic Fiction, you're right!

http://www.amazon.com/Mathew-Klickstein/e/B00E7KUD6U

Here's the synopsis for an e-book he wrote last year, called Rag Doll:

quote:

From Mathew Klickstein comes a new classic of erotic horror: Oliver Maxwell is demented, depraved, and disturbed. He's also one of the most caring young men you could ever hope to meet. In his own words, he both loves and hates women with equal intensity, confessing, "Some I hate so much, I have to see them naked." If you think Oliver Maxwell is complicated, just wait until you read about his sex life...

When this conflicted milquetoast discovers a stranger sprawled out and unconscious in an alleyway one night, he decides to take her home with him to "nurture her back to health and consciousness."

Oliver soon realizes that in order to take care of his mysteriously cataleptic housemate - the sudsy bubble baths, the muscle massages, the incessant combing of her silken blonde hair - he will need to indulge in extracurricular sexual diversions to keep from inflicting himself on her tender, vulnerable body.

There begins a litany of progressively perverted episodes for a man whose fantasies might be others' nightmares... and vice versa. For Oliver Maxwell (and the various paramours he comes upon during his nocturnal meanderings), experimentation is only the beginning. He craves the fear as much as the fantasy, and knows he's not the only one. Along the way, Oliver finds his lost angel in a coma might not be as innocent as he presupposed...

:stonk:

hcreight fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 7, 2014

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mathew "hcreight" Klickstein

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Uses milquetoast, he must be a goon.

Oh hey the other day I was thinking randomly about how if the internet judging culture had existed when TNG s2 had a clip show season finale, Paramount would've had to fend off a mob of outraged bloggers and fans. I was wondering, what was the last time a show did a legit clipshow?

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 7, 2014

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

zoux posted:

Oh hey the other day I was thinking randomly about how if the internet judging culture had existed when TNG s2 had a clip show season finale, Paramount would've had to fend off a mob of outraged bloggers and fans. I was wondering, what was the last time a show did a legit clipshow?

Sadly much more recently than you'd imagine. I catch my roommate watching real housewives clip shows often.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Between this and the news about the pastor from 7th Heaven, today’s posting is as skin-crawling as an episode of Hannibal, but not nearly as beautiful or delicious.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

In like an actual sitcom / drama? That's an excellent question, I don't think I've seen one in years. Usually the closest thing to a clip show these days is like a standalone recap show at the beginning or end of a show's season that airs in the timeslot before the premiere / finale, but nothing that's counted as part of the show's run.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

raditts posted:

In like an actual sitcom / drama? That's an excellent question, I don't think I've seen one in years. Usually the closest thing to a clip show these days is like a standalone recap show at the beginning or end of a show's season that airs in the timeslot before the premiere / finale, but nothing that's counted as part of the show's run.

The Office had one in 2010. I guess that is still years ago, though. Oh, and Castle had one last year.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Castle had a clip show episode 2 or so years ago. That's the only one I remember

E: ^^^^Oh yeah the Office too I forgot about that one.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I think even Survivor knocked that clip show poo poo off a few years back.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I see a plenty of clip shows, but the recent trend is much nicer - a lot of them now seem to reshoot the familiar scenes from a different character's view. I think Always Sunny did that recently, and it adds a little value to what would otherwise be a boring rehash of old events.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Manos del Sino posted:

I see a plenty of clip shows, but the recent trend is much nicer - a lot of them now seem to reshoot the familiar scenes from a different character's view. I think Always Sunny did that recently, and it adds a little value to what would otherwise be a boring rehash of old events.

The Gang Recycles Their Trash. They made an entire new episode out of scenes from old episodes and it was still great.

Also Community had a clip show where all the clips were completely new and alluded to nonexistent episodes. But then they killed the joke by doing the exact same gag the following season.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So my parents started watching Utopia (UK) on my recommendation and they think I'm a psychopath now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So my parents started watching Utopia (UK) on my recommendation and they think I'm a psychopath now.

So, win?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Party Plane Jones posted:

TMZ is reporting that the guy who played the dad on 7th heaven is/was a child molester and that they have tape of him confessing it(recorded by his soon to be ex-wife).
Meanwhile the guy who played Walter White is like the nicest guy in the world.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, they watch Walking Dead and The Strain and their only problem with Hannibal is lingering ill will over the oversaturation of the character, I'm not really sure what makes Utopia any different. :psyduck:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

sportsgenius86 posted:

Simply taking a character and making it Indian without there being anything inherently Indian about the character is lovely in its own way.

Hi, I'm brown and have an Indian name. I grew up in America, and there's nothing Indian about me. I don't work in a call center, or talk with a funny accent. I don't work at a gas station, or a subway. It's nice to meet you racist.

quote:

If I were Indian or Jewish, for example, and watched something where the characters are Jewish or supposed to be, and if it’s not specific to that, then I start to wonder, “Why are they doing this?” It becomes blackface.

This is literally the most idiotic thing I've ever read. Klickstein is not just an idiot, he has a PhD in idiocy.

Ravane fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 7, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Don't you get it everything I didn't like as a ten year old is terrible GAWD

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ravane posted:

This is literally the most idiotic thing I've ever read. Klickstein is not just an idiot, he has a PhD in idiocy.

He's so loving stupid that he doesn't realize that what he's complaining about is the exact opposite of "blackface."

Shageletic posted:

Don't you get it everything I didn't like as a ten year old is terrible GAWD

My fondest memories of Nickelodeon are in the late 80s / early 90s, so I don't really identify with the '90s Kid nostalgia. I loved the poo poo out of Double Dare and those other game shows, and I remember Inspector Gadget being on at 7pm every night. Also, those "SPORTS" cartoons they'd play between shows never get enough love. I don't think I really watched anything on the channel after like 1993 aside from Ren & Stimpy and occasionally Rocko, but by then I was way more into watching MTV.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 7, 2014

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah fair enough, I'm a fan of Ren & Stimpy and Rocko and the like myself. But I also realize that watching it as an adult would probably lessen my like and I sure don't go out of my way to cut the legs off other things people find nostalgiac. That's no good.

This guy is right now hitting every terrible nerd bingo. Does SA still do call out threads, because there's probably tons of stuff out there for a guy who takes innocous questions about shows from the 90s to David Duke territory.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I mean, they watch Walking Dead and The Strain and their only problem with Hannibal is lingering ill will over the oversaturation of the character, I'm not really sure what makes Utopia any different. :psyduck:

Well the first two aren't really comparable because they are basically goofy monster shows that for the most part pay homage to movies they probably loved as kids. Hannibal paints such a different picture of the world that you can't relate to it in the slightest.

Utopia is just loving dread, you feel bad watching it because gently caress you bad poo poo happens and there's nothing you can do and they are coming for you and anyone that looks where they shouldn't. Ain't nobody safe, especially not children.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Someone needs to sell me on the second season of Arrow, because I bailed after the Suicide Squad ep when I realized again how bad the writing can get.

Honestly, I feel the Suicide Squad was the low point of season 2 as well but just like the Huntress arc in season 1, if you ride it out some absolutely magical poo poo happens after that patch, much like season 1.

I have a feeling that the show is destined to have some sort of writer burnout just around or prior to the 15th episode and then some sort of production break allows the staff to regroup and tighten up what doesn't work on the show. In the first season, the Huntress is introduced at the 7th episode and is 'resolved' at the 17th. There's a airing break over the Christmas Holidays where the production sits down for a few weeks. The season's true watermark where you can really get sold on it's turning point is the 14th episode, 'The Odyssey' and even though there are a few flabby concepts on paper a lot of the non-serialized aspects of the season's story are almost treated like old business - ideas being followed up out of obligations.

On the second season, the show is stronger and more defined but Suicide Squad [episode 16], while it should be awesome on paper, feels like most of the creative's energy was spent on some of the bigger moments of the show, like the shoehorning of The Flash [which only later was tuned into a full pilot and spin off] and the Deathstroke reveal which made up the pre-Christmas break [The Scientist/Three Ghosts is such a HUGE one-two punch that it could have been a season finale and there was more buzz on the later's montage than many movie trailers last winter]. By the time the mid-point high of 'The Promise' airs at the 15 episode mark again, Suicide Squad feels like a cool concept that was rushed out the door. Again, after that the show tightens up again, even attempting to address the weak spot the Laurel character has become. poo poo, go back and just watch it for the build to the season finale. It all paid off amazingly.

Dead Snoopy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 7, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Zaggitz posted:

Well the first two aren't really comparable because they are basically goofy monster shows that for the most part pay homage to movies they probably loved as kids. Hannibal paints such a different picture of the world that you can't relate to it in the slightest.

Utopia is just loving dread, you feel bad watching it because gently caress you bad poo poo happens and there's nothing you can do and they are coming for you and anyone that looks where they shouldn't. Ain't nobody safe, especially not children.

Yeah, Hannibal is a dark programme, but Utopia evokes dread and menace that can honestly be described as nightmarish.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's not the dread and menace that they have a problem with, it's solely the gore. And yet they're okay with severed vampire dongs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

SALT CURES HAM posted:

For some strange reason, I had a nightmare about the show the other night, and I've only seen the opening scene. It's making me hesitant to watch the whole show, because it's a testament to just how good that scene is in establishing terror.
In the nightmare, the guy in the yellow coat comes in with the other dudes and massacres everyone in a bar because one person in there might know something, but they're not sure who, so better to be safe there. I think it was one of those dreams with a detached perspective, where I wasn't actually in it, but watching from a god's eye view. anyway, a few people managed to escape through an underground passage.
loving dreams.
But, I dunno, on the other hand this might just compel me to watch Utopia soon. Since Hannibal, I've realized dread and atmospheric horror are dope, to use the parlance of Cinema Discusso. well, actually it probably traces back to watching The Innocents, one of the greatest horror films ever.

• Locked thread