Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Would it be possible to make a non-lethal 100Z level drop with an adamantine floor? I remember reading that the damage is simulated by hitting the falling creature with a same-sized block of floor material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You remember right. I dunno about heights like that, but low density and impact yield of the floor material have a lot of say in fall damage, true.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

my dad posted:

Would it be possible to make a non-lethal 100Z level drop with an adamantine floor? I remember reading that the damage is simulated by hitting the falling creature with a same-sized block of floor material.

DODGE THE EARTH~! :black101:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

*parry* the Earth. Learning several HUNDRED level's worth of experience in fighting skills along the way.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I thought you had to be falling onto at least one upright weapon in order to parry it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Johnny Aztec posted:

That's how you fly.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Neurion posted:

That's how you fly.

No, that's missing the Earth.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

reading posted:

It may severely complicate the "hardening" of dwarves by dropping animals into the meeting hall from 15 z-levels up.

I'm not sure this works 100% because I have a certain fisherdwarf, and she freaks out every single time she sees the corpse/garbage pile just outside the regular entrance. Pretty sure seeing a real death would have her losing her mind.

Karmalis posted:

So I decided to play within adventure mode after a very, very long time. Selected an Elf (because it was closest to a destroyed fort of mine) with a mission to go check it out. After talking to a bunch of elves I attempted to go down the tree, so went to the side, started climbing. "This is easy" I thought as I let go of my grip to go down, fell to the ground and died as it appeared I was too high.
Loved it. Best Adventure ever.

Just like Icarus.

Now see if your fortress makes statues, figurines, or engravings of your epic.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
What is the syntax of the gizzard and gizzard stone dropped as an EXTRA_BUTCHER_OBJECT?

The default is [EBO_ITEM:SMALLGEM:NONE:ANY_HARD_STONE] but I'm not sure what each of those categories are. The SMALLGEM position can take any piece of furniture or object category, but I notice in Masterwork they use several more categories, often followed by ":NONE" .

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

It's the same as in reactions. ITEM:ITEM_SUBTYPE:MATERIAL:MATERIAL_SUBTYPE.

The definitions can get a little long if the material is something related to a creature or a plant, since then the definition has three parts - PLANT_MAT or CREATURE_MAT, the source thing and then the material itself. An extra-butcher token that drops a halberd made from cave crocodile eyes would be [EBO_ITEM:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HALBERD:CREATURE_MAT:CROCODILE_CAVE:EYE].

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Dumb noob questions about dumb dwarf problems!

In my stocks screen I can see that lots of seemingly random items of clothing are Forbidden. Whats going on there? Should I unforbid all that stuff?

How does a barracks actually WORK and how big ought it be vs. my number of military dwarves? And how do I actually force the fuckers to wear their uniforms, even enabling 'replace' instead of 'wear over' is just causing a number of them to be walking around with no shirt on and upset about the fact when there's plenty of perfectly good iron mail to go around. Rhetorically, why is this military interface so abominable and am I missing some Dwarf Therapist option that will let me mess with it out of game?

Finally, I got attacked by a minotaur and even when I hit the :getin: burrow emergency button the idiots carrying rocks to my wall construction project decided to slowly carry their burdens back inside instead of dropping their poo poo and booking it. Fortunately a single hero marksdwarf dispatched the minotaur by knocking it out with a headshot and crushing its skull with his bismuth bronze crossbow, but in the future, is there any way to make these nerds stop hauling and run for it?

My biggest problem with troubleshooting DF issues is that googling any given combination of words is likely to bring up patch notes from 2009

reading
Jul 27, 2013

scamtank posted:

It's the same as in reactions. ITEM:ITEM_SUBTYPE:MATERIAL:MATERIAL_SUBTYPE.

The definitions can get a little long if the material is something related to a creature or a plant, since then the definition has three parts - PLANT_MAT or CREATURE_MAT, the source thing and then the material itself. An extra-butcher token that drops a halberd made from cave crocodile eyes would be [EBO_ITEM:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HALBERD:CREATURE_MAT:CROCODILE_CAVE:EYE].

Haha I tried out that example and got cave crocodile fatty halberds. How would I change the ITEM to get a meat product? The game crashed when I tried [EBO_ITEM:CREATURE_MAT:HORSE:EYE], which I had assumed would produce a meat thing since it didn't have an item type. Does meat have an item type and subtype that I need to include?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It does! It's just MEAT:NONE. It's right there in the item token list, number 47.

Ixjuvin posted:

Dumb noob questions about dumb dwarf problems!

In my stocks screen I can see that lots of seemingly random items of clothing are Forbidden. Whats going on there? Should I unforbid all that stuff?

Has your fortress seen someone die? By default, their dropped belongings are immediately forbidden to avoid the abominable "gently caress the curfew, I need that sock" situation. The Orders menu lets you change it. Zoom in on the forbidden things to see what's what.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

scamtank posted:

It does! It's just MEAT:NONE. It's right there in the item token list, number 47.

Has your fortress seen someone die? By default, their dropped belongings are immediately forbidden to avoid the abominable "gently caress the curfew, I need that sock" situation. The Orders menu lets you change it. Zoom in on the forbidden things to see what's what.

Oh! there's one mystery solved, apparently that was all items being carried or worn by the merchants. :psyduck: Once the caravan departed all those items vanished. I need to have a word with my bookkeeper about what is Official Fortress Property.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Oh, alright. Stuff carried by invaders or visitors shows up as forbidden by default. It'd be ideal if it had some unique tag instead, but it still keeps the loose and held items apart just fine.

And about the military: all you need is a pile of beds and if you're into that, archery targets. Racks, stands and other containers are all but decorative until DFHack fixes everything again.

It's like everyone has problems with this except for me. Try making them wear specific things instead of letting them decide "some metal hat, some weapon I guess". Make a uniform with those iron mail shirts and greaves and pine shields and copper maces your craftsmen make and assign them exactly that. Try activating the squad with assigned uniforms (set to replace, of course) and no barracks, so they don't get confused if they should get dressed or report for drills first.
I'm pretty sure there isn't anything external yet, but DT has had great big advances lately. I haven't kept track.
The interface is poor, but it's the unexpected behavior that's bad.

No comment on burrows, I don't swing that way.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
This is also the first time I've managed to get a fort past ~a dozen guys, keeping 50+ dwarves in line is a whole different business from microing a couple around.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

scamtank posted:

Thanks for this, it makes much more sense now.

I used the example from the wiki of [EBO_ITEM:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:DWARF:SKIN] just to see if I could produce that from killing an animal, and it gives "dwarf skin chop". When I changed it to be a HORSE:EAR, it gives me a "horse skin chop" when I butcher a horse. What's going on? The "skin chop" item doesn't even get processed as skin in a tannery, the dwarves just ignore it, so it's not even real skin in that sense.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It's weird, I grant you. It says something about how arcane corpses and their bits are when you can't even reproduce them in workshops without things going to gently caress.

I'm pretty sure that EAR isn't a material of any sort. Ears are body parts made from skin and cartilage.

As for the skin, the [USE_BODY_COMPONENT] bit of the tanning reaction insists that the reagent is either a CORPSE or a CORPSEPIECE item. The fact that you've made it a straight up MEAT right out of the gate might block that, even if it did come about from butchering something and was made of skin.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

scamtank posted:

It's weird, I grant you. It says something about how arcane corpses and their bits are when you can't even reproduce them in workshops without things going to gently caress.

I'm pretty sure that EAR isn't a material of any sort. Ears are body parts made from skin and cartilage.

As for the skin, the [USE_BODY_COMPONENT] bit of the tanning reaction insists that the reagent is either a CORPSE or a CORPSEPIECE item. The fact that you've made it a straight up MEAT right out of the gate might block that, even if it did come about from butchering something and was made of skin.

Aren't the "prepared" organs (prepared spleen, intestine, etc) not materials themselves but made from cartilage, muscle and fat?

Would an EBO that was tannable need to have [EBO_ITEM:CORPSEPIECE:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:HORSE:SKIN] ?

After assigning a bookkeeper to classify everything, the "horse skin chop" gets sorted as Meat, but the other components I try to make get sorted just as "body part" along with the nervous tissue, hooves, hair, skulls, and so forth. The skin chops don't show up in the Kitchen menu though, despite the bookkeeper calling them meat.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ixjuvin posted:

This is also the first time I've managed to get a fort past ~a dozen guys, keeping 50+ dwarves in line is a whole different business from microing a couple around.

Oh it's easy. A dwarf or two for every profession. 90% of your workforce is haulers. All the dwarves with a specialized profession spend the majority of their time without anything to do and the haulers spend most of their time hauling.

:911:

I wish I could recolor my dwarves easily. I want to make all my haulers the peasant color rather than what they came to the fortress with.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

reading posted:

Aren't the "prepared" organs (prepared spleen, intestine, etc) not materials themselves but made from cartilage, muscle and fat?

Would an EBO that was tannable need to have [EBO_ITEM:CORPSEPIECE:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:HORSE:SKIN] ?

After assigning a bookkeeper to classify everything, the "horse skin chop" gets sorted as Meat, but the other components I try to make get sorted just as "body part" along with the nervous tissue, hooves, hair, skulls, and so forth. The skin chops don't show up in the Kitchen menu though, despite the bookkeeper calling them meat.

Oh, no. Check material_template_default.txt, you'll see all vital organs have their own specific materials with their own specific naming conventions.

You're welcome to try, but considering the reaction troubles, I don't think you can make bona fide body parts like that here either. You could take the [USE_BODY_COMPONENT] prequisite out of the tanning reaction and it wouldn't discriminate by item type anymore. As long it's a thing made from skin (and I can't think of many things made from raw skin), it'll get churned into leather like usual.

Well, that "skin" is a hunk of MEAT that isn't edible or cookable (defined in the material templates), so no wonder there.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ugh, I'm so stuck. I've played Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld, Gnomoria, Prison Architect, SpaceBase DF-9, AND KeeperRL, while they each have a piece of what I like I can't get one to stick. :cry:

Has there been any UI improvements for Dwarf Fortress? That's really been my biggest issue is no matter how hard I try I can't get anywhere in the game.

E: I'm going to leave this here but I meant for it to go into the recommend me a game thread. Oops.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 6, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

it's so dark

Toady One posted:

Winding up the emotions, we also ended up with a few more tantrum analogs. Previously, a dwarf that didn't have a propensity to lose their temper would not throw tantrums but would still have a final permanent breakdown. Now they'll show some other signs to give you a clue that something is going on that you might want to deal with, aside from the general stress indicators that you have now. Fruit harvesting soon!

Uh oh.

Uh oh. :allears:

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
Urist McDepression cancels sleep: No free burial receptacle found

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Will they start leaving passive-aggressive engravings around the fortress complaining about how useless everyone else is? And will other dwarves seeing those engravings increase their anger?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
I wonder why there's all those dead pets in Urist's cabinet?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Apparently this is in Shadow of Mordor

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Sexpansion posted:

I will murder everything that breathes in Mordor until I find this treasure.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Sexpansion posted:

Fantastic.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
It needs to menace with rings of something.

vvv

EDIT: moller is making a plaintive gesture

moller fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 7, 2014

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Spikes menace, rings hang.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Sexpansion posted:

It's good, but it doesn't reference another artifact or menace with spikes of leather/cloth. I decree it to only be a masterwork craft.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Suicide Sam E. posted:

It's good, but it doesn't reference another artifact or menace with spikes of leather/cloth. I decree it to only be a masterwork craft.

Eh, it was just one of a pile of hundreds of other bone carvings foisted on some tree-lovers in exchange for useful things like animals and cloth. They can't all be winners. What the knife-ears do with them all is anydwarf's guess.:

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I wish I could have indoor plants, rather than just terrariums/aquariums in people's rooms. That would be a good use for pots.

I also wish the human crafts were used somehow- all those boning knives, pans, cauldrons, and so forth. In DF history has there ever been a case of a player buying a craft that the traders bring? Like buying a grown-wood elven toy, or a human toy? They seem totally worthless except for flavor.

One usability improvement I'd love is having the trade screen sorted into sections, and being able to buy a whole section. So if I want all the food I don't have to hit down-enter-down-enter-down-enter one million times.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

reading posted:

One usability improvement I'd love is having the trade screen sorted into sections, and being able to buy a whole section. So if I want all the food I don't have to hit down-enter-down-enter-down-enter one million times.

That would be great, but in the meantime there is a DFhack thing that lets you hold shift as you hit enter, and it automatically moves the cursor down so if you have a lot of stuff in a row to designate for trading you can just do shift-enter-enter-enter-enter-enter etc.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
There's a plugin in the Starter Pack that lets you both search by name and mark/unmark all visible goods for trading easily. To buy all the food, just search for "5" as all the food is in packs of 5 (and then manually remove anything else that shows up in the search afterwards, usually just a few 25-stacks of bolts/arrows).

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
The most annoying thing to me is the inability to skip over bins that you mark for trade.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
Or the fact that to see my bars in the stocks menu, I have to hit pageup-pageup (which overshoots to just above it) then hit down-down-etc until I get to it. And the game really hangs when I pass "threads" because it has to recalculate every loving thread in my entire 12-year old fort every single time my cursor passes over that in the stocks menu.

When I really get my metalworks economy running I have to consult the bars section very very frequently but its buried in the middle of that whole loving list. There's even a spot for books even though I think you'd have to manually bring one as an adventurer. Wish bars would be at the top.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

reading posted:

Or the fact that to see my bars in the stocks menu, I have to hit pageup-pageup (which overshoots to just above it) then hit down-down-etc until I get to it. And the game really hangs when I pass "threads" because it has to recalculate every loving thread in my entire 12-year old fort every single time my cursor passes over that in the stocks menu.

When I really get my metalworks economy running I have to consult the bars section very very frequently but its buried in the middle of that whole loving list. There's even a spot for books even though I think you'd have to manually bring one as an adventurer. Wish bars would be at the top.

I got around this by using the advanced view or whatever it's called. I think it's part of dfhack, it was just baked in to the LNP I got. It makes filtering by name really effortless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So I've been noticing that every time my dwarves or dogs or whatever kill something the corpse is automatically forbidden. Is this a DFHack thing? How do I stop this from happening?