Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Quick question about Dark Eldar (From the 5th edition codex):
Can a Razorwing fire its weapons at different targets? I don't see anything in the Codex, FAQ, or Rules that say it can, but my buddy wants me to make sure. It's our first time messing with flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Quick question about Dark Eldar (From the 5th edition codex):
Can a Razorwing fire its weapons at different targets? I don't see anything in the Codex, FAQ, or Rules that say it can, but my buddy wants me to make sure. It's our first time messing with flyers.

It cannot.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

SRM posted:

This is really cool, thanks for sharing! I've never really thought of tumblr as a means to present battle reports either.

Glad you like it! I figured tumblr is handy to keep a narrative and upload the pictures. I'm currently building a manufactorum (slowly, I'm moving house soon) and we're planning an all vehicle clash as Inquisitor Ahn Senior tries to haul arse down the Ork held Deff Row to help the Marines guarding the manufactorum - I'll post it here when that happens!

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Cooked Auto posted:

Does anyone have a nice and fairly simple colour scheme for Krieg?

I remembered that I have suddenly access to a whole bunch of GW paints, almost the entire normal paint line in this case except a lot of the newer technical paints, which makes me want to try something extra for once instead of sticking to the few paints I usually have.

So I kinda want to paint up my Krieg Command HQ Squad that I've had lying around for a couple of years now and do them a bit better or more impressive than my average Guardsmen.

Speaking of which, discovered that both my Castellan Green pots got ruined with no amount of shaking and water addition could save. :(

Dark grey armor. Light grey pants. Blue coats. You can be as fancy as you want with washes on different shades of brown for the boots and gear. Another goon did this with red pants for a more French WWI theme. Very cool stuff, and simple. I think I put a wash on the boots and the pack, and did some edge highlighting on the armor plates, and left it at that.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wytches aren't great but it looks like they can be used for mid/late turn objective grabbing. Zoom them up and jump on a non-troop unit that is hanging by an objective. Can wracks still be troops (aka objective secured)?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
No, they can't, even in the Coven special detachment.

Wyches are just worse at grabbing objectives than Warriors (as they're 2pts more expensive, have no shooting, and have a worse armor save.) They particularly needed help (that they didn't get) because of their shoddy survivability outside of combat- realistically, the new book only made them marginally worse (due to Haywire, which was actually pretty useful) but they were so deep in the hole already that's not saying a lot.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Reynold posted:

Dark grey armor. Light grey pants. Blue coats. You can be as fancy as you want with washes on different shades of brown for the boots and gear. Another goon did this with red pants for a more French WWI theme. Very cool stuff, and simple. I think I put a wash on the boots and the pack, and did some edge highlighting on the armor plates, and left it at that.

Not bad, any chance you have a run down of what specific paints you used or?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey Abuse Puppy, within the vacuum of 7th edition codicies. How do you think they balance and how well does DE stand up? So just looking at Orks, Wolves, GK and DE.

General consensus has been that all the 7th ed books, on some level, suck a pile of donkey balls. But in the land of donkey balls... the one balled donkey is king... or something.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts. Cause, I know a lot of these books seem to suck when compared to Eldar, Tau or Space Marines but if there's a consistency between the 7th ed books there may be a bit of hope once things become more consistent with the new design ethos particularly the "no force org manipulation" thing that's been going on.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Cooked Auto posted:

Not bad, any chance you have a run down of what specific paints you used or?

Russ Grey for the coat.
Dawnstone for the pants.
Steel Legion Drab for the boots, pack, and leather bits. Wash in Seraphim Sepia.
Skavenblight Dinge for the armor. Highlights in Dawnstone.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

AbusePuppy posted:

No, they can't, even in the Coven special detachment.

Wyches are just worse at grabbing objectives than Warriors (as they're 2pts more expensive, have no shooting, and have a worse armor save.) They particularly needed help (that they didn't get) because of their shoddy survivability outside of combat- realistically, the new book only made them marginally worse (due to Haywire, which was actually pretty useful) but they were so deep in the hole already that's not saying a lot.

Well, wyches did get buffed in the sense that they no longer have to kill anything (or get a specific combat drug) to get feel no pain. Stick them in reserves in a raider with ethersails.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
Poor, poor Wyches.Are the Hekartyx or whatever, Blood Brides back? I remember those were just not worth the points most of the time. I'm wondering if they're in just as bad as a sinkhole as Wyches are.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Also it looks like the army is literally built around harrassement on the first turn and then everything else comes in and you can manipulate that chart so like saying Wyches is terrible isn't really actually true, starting off they're kind of meh, but you are going to charge at least turn 2 and there are multiple ways to manipulate that chart so that the turn is 2 turns earlier so you can actually easily have turn 2 Furious Charging , Feel no pain Wyches, which is pretty good for 10 points.

Like that's the core special rule of the army and it's a really loving good one. The army get's better as time passes which actually makes sense from a fluff point which is cool.

Anyway I think it's a really cool codex and has a lot of cool poo poo. Considering almost everyone can get those loving Phantasm launchers it seems.

It's really weird that the Dark Eldar codex has like 12 different Special Characters mentioned and then 3 actual models I think. Like there's like 6 pages I think on Veck and it's like where is he?

This all leads me to believe that next year is the year of the Data slate. I mean it makes sense that GW would want to move to this piecemeal system. Like all the books are out and then each month they supplement the codexes with Dataslates cause it's really strange.

There's even it looks like either a conversion or a actual model of a Special Character in the pictures. Maybe it's a conversion though.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 8, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Seems to me that the most powerful lists I keep seeing are Eldar, Tau, or involve a knight. Once Eldar and Tau get updated they may be more in line with the other armies, but I don't see knights as ever being anything other than really good. (Though I wouldn't call them broken at all.)

Though one way to give knights a bit of a nerf would be to give monstrous creatures armorbane again. It's really a shame that a ten point guardsman with a melta bomb is better at killing vehicles in close combat than most monstrous creatures.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Would Eldar be fixed if Serpent Shields remained their 5th edition incarnation and lost their gun?

Master Twig posted:

Though one way to give knights a bit of a nerf would be to give monstrous creatures armorbane again. It's really a shame that a ten point guardsman with a melta bomb is better at killing vehicles in close combat than most monstrous creatures.

The most amusing variant of this being if the Avatar of Khaine points his sword at a vehicle from 12" away, he is better at killing it than if he's in base to base with it.

Clawtopsy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 8, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

So who is their LoW, since Vect got the shaft?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

So who is their LoW, since Vect got the shaft?

Nobody, they don't have one.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

WAR FOOT posted:

Would Eldar be fixed if Serpent Shields remained their 5th edition incarnation and lost their gun?

The most amusing variant of this being if the Avatar of Khaine points his sword at a vehicle from 12" away, he is better at killing it than if he's in base to base with it.

As an Eldar player, I think the jink nerf was directed at us and was a positive step towards getting the wave serpent reasonable (though it had a side effect of wrecking my Ravenwing), but honestly it's more that the gun is way too powerful. I like the idea that I make a tactical choice to leave myself vulnerable to go all out with guns, but a twin linked S 7 ignores cover gun with up to 7 shots? Murders any kind of vehicle short of a Land Raider because of no cover saves, and the twin linking makes it a flyer killer.

Honestly just make scatter lasers not twin link things. I have no idea why they do in addition to just being amazing cheap guns otherwise.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Cataphract posted:

Hey Abuse Puppy, within the vacuum of 7th edition codicies. How do you think they balance and how well does DE stand up? So just looking at Orks, Wolves, GK and DE.

General consensus has been that all the 7th ed books, on some level, suck a pile of donkey balls. But in the land of donkey balls... the one balled donkey is king... or something.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts. Cause, I know a lot of these books seem to suck when compared to Eldar, Tau or Space Marines but if there's a consistency between the 7th ed books there may be a bit of hope once things become more consistent with the new design ethos particularly the "no force org manipulation" thing that's been going on.

I'd say that it looks like something like this in terms of armies:

Eldar, Tau, SM, Knights
Orks, Necrons, IG, Daemons, Tyranids
BA, DE, SW, SoB, DA, CSM

I don't think the 7E books are all that consistent in terms of power level; the rankings there aren't wholly accurate in terms of really singling things down, but I would definitely say that Orks are a head above the others, SW are decent but not amazing, and GK and DE are more or less on par (which is to say not very good.)

My problem with the 7E books aren't that they are less powerful, because power levels are all relative, but more that they have reverted to the extremely bland codex design of 4E and early 3E. Most of the books have clear "best units" in them, with few other options being worth considering, and even the good ones tend to have limited options and very little about them that is unique aside from just being cheaper than comparative choices. I liked a lot of the 6E books because they offered a large number of viable units in many different slots, but 7E is moving away from that.

Dump_Stat posted:

Poor, poor Wyches.Are the Hekartyx or whatever, Blood Brides back? I remember those were just not worth the points most of the time. I'm wondering if they're in just as bad as a sinkhole as Wyches are.

Hekatrix are just like Trueborn- they're an "upgrade" on Wyches that shifts their slot and statline slightly. They're about as bad as they were before.

WAR FOOT posted:

If you make Serpents gunless like that, Eldar are actually a very mediocre codex. They're resting almost entirely on that one unit, which is why I don't think the book is very well-designed. SM, Tau, and others at least have a couple different units/builds to center around, but not Eldar. (Seerstar would still be a thing, but it's very unreliable.)

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

LordAba posted:

Sslyths get CCW, pistol, and carbine... so only two close combat weapons for +1 attack. ...

They still have three attacks base, right? I presumed that represented their extra limbs in close combat.

Urghul never appealed to me because of their lousy save and no shooting weapons.

Cooked Auto posted:

Does anyone have a nice and fairly simple colour scheme for Krieg?

Before there were Death Korps models, Steel Legion had an alternate color scheme called Death Korps Of Krieg. All the soldiers had skulls painted on their mask/goggles, looked pretty baller. I couldn't find any pictures from the article, but it was a bit like this:

I think subdued colors work best and are easy peasy to paint:

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 8, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm trying to remember but what the hell was the Wave Serpents rules in 2nd it had some weird rule and I can't remember what it was. Maybe it emitted a force field or something?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

AbusePuppy posted:

If you make Serpents gunless like that, Eldar are actually a very mediocre codex. They're resting almost entirely on that one unit, which is why I don't think the book is very well-designed. SM, Tau, and others at least have a couple different units/builds to center around, but not Eldar. (Seerstar would still be a thing, but it's very unreliable.)

I mean just the shield gun, not all of them.

Honestly, if a codex is ONLY strong on the strength of one ranged weapon combo on one vehicle, I think it's a pretty awful codex.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm a fan of the Imperial Russian look:

Green, blue, or grey are all great choices because they take washes really really well

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Crossposting from the painting thread.
So every year, my friend who lives in Germany and I send each other packages for Christmas. We tend to send each other various food that we can't get in our respective parts of the world. (He absolutely loves Snyders Bacon Cheddar pretzel bits) Anyway, this year I decided to paint up and send him something special.

He plays 40k and has a pretty sizable Iron Warriors army. The main army he plays against is his friend/boss's Space Wolves army which tends to kick his rear end most of the time. So I figured I would paint him up his own personal pet Space Puppy.

This is Dog.

I forget where I got the arms and heads from since I got them years ago when I first had the idea for an enslaved Wulfen. Originally I was going to make a Dark Eldar beastmaster army which used one instead of a clawed fiend since the fluff mentions that they captured Space Wolves, and used marines in gladiatorial arenas.

Also, I might make a second one because I just found the second arm that I had.

As always, comments and critiques are encouraged.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I'm trying to remember but what the hell was the Wave Serpents rules in 2nd it had some weird rule and I can't remember what it was. Maybe it emitted a force field or something?

In 3E it was AV14 on the front and in 4E it was max Str 8, no extra pen dice. As far as I remember 2E didn't have any rules for the Wave Serpent (or other Eldar skimmers), as they didn't didn't have models at that point other than maybe the Armorcast ones (and the Epic versions.)

WAR FOOT posted:

I mean just the shield gun, not all of them.

That was what I meant as well. Shuriken Cannon + Scatter Laser is really not very impressive firepower for 145pts.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I think Wave Serpents previously could shoot the shield in Epic and in an Apoc Formation.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
I kinda like firing the shield as a once per game ability. And once it's used you lose the defensive benefits as well.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

This dude is siiiiiiick

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I'm more curious as to if the Serpent Shield is the only thing making Eldar a top-tier codex. If yes, I'd say it's one of the most poorly written.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm more curious as to if the Serpent Shield is the only thing making Eldar a top-tier codex. If yes, I'd say it's one of the most poorly written.

IG went from a top tier codex to a mid tier one based on two units getting nerfed even though nearly everything else in the codex got better or at worst stayed the same. I guess Hydras got worse but nobody was really using them in 6th anyway, and they're still not really bad.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Isn't that a hallmark of GW design? A few stand out units with a lot of mediocre or outright useless ones?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No there was a goofy Armourcast Wave Serpent, I just can't remember what the hell it did. I seem to recall it having rules in 2nd edition.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Hollismason posted:

No there was a goofy Armourcast Wave Serpent, I just can't remember what the hell it did. I seem to recall it having rules in 2nd edition.

I had an old arrowhead Falcon. Is that what you're thinking of?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Nah this old ugly thing ( although I still think with a good paint job they are cool)

Pretty sure this a 2nd edition Wave Serpent.

I think I found them

quote:

SPECIAL:
The Wave Serpent generates a WARP WAVE. The Warp Wave is a template looking much like a bow wave that sits in front of the Wave Serpent. The template is 2 pieces glued together at a 90 degree angle. The template should be about 4" tall (the height of the Wave Serpent), tapering down to 1" at the end. The nose of the Wave Serpent sits at the juncture of the two pieces of the template, the ends of the Wave and the rear of the Wave Serpent should line up.

This wave is totally invulnerable and any shot that hits the wave is nullified, including psychic attacks. As the Wave Serpent moves the Wave moves with it and pushes aside anything shy of a Titan vehicles. If a building is touched by the Wave, treat the building as if it had been rammed.

Before the Eldar player moves, he may shoot off the wave. It will move 2d6x10" directly forward. Troops in the way must roll against their Initiative as if being run down by a vehicle. This roll is made at -1 due to the speed of the Wave. Vehicles are rammed with the ram value of the Wave Serpent itself. The shield is regenerated at the beginning of the next Eldar turn, leaving the Wave Serpent shieldless for the opponent's turn.

If anyone is wondering, I kind of feel like 7th is going back to a degree to 2nd edition. That's a pretty loving cool ability. Just saying.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 8, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ahh yeah, that old thing. I don't think I ever actually saw one in person.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Nah this old ugly thing ( although I still think with a good paint job they are cool)

Pretty sure this a 2nd edition Wave Serpent.

I think I found them

If anyone is wondering, I kind of feel like 7th is going back to a degree to 2nd edition.

pretty sure that's just a fancy iron

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Great, now I can't unsee that. I never saw one in person either, but my friends who played Eldar just built one out of just stuff. I love that you have to make the template. Also it doesn't do anything it just pushes poo poo out of the way and runs over poo poo which I find hilarious.

I want this and the Pulsa Rokkit to come back.

If anyone is wondering what the greatest ork model ever made was this is it, What makes the model is the loving Grot Crew, I wish I had a close up of them this was all I could find, but they are amazing:

And the best vehicle ever Genestealer Cult Limousine :

edit:

Oh jesus Christ SRM how many photos did you upload on DakkaDakka, all impressive but do not help when I'm looking for Orks.

SRM he has 3 , 3 LandRaiders

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/480754-Classic%20Ultramarines.html

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 8, 2014

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Cataphract posted:

Right, I'm off to the flea market to pick up some cheap vehicles.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cataphract posted:

Steam shield, ignores all wrinkles

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Woah this is pretty loving cool. Some serious Ham.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-53986-31464_Classic%20Ultras%202nd%20Codex.html

That's a weird knight there though, I've never seen that before although I think it's a custom build maybe?

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

This is the coolest paintscheme, hands down. I'd love to see a ful larmy of these dudes on the table, they'd look rad as gently caress.

• Locked thread