Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Major Spag posted:

Are any of the Timberwolves on sale worth it?

Only if you already have MC and are impatient. I wouldn't recommend buying MC to take advantage of the sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Only if you already have MC and are impatient. I wouldn't recommend buying MC to take advantage of the sale.

I still have MC when I mistakenly thought this was going to be a great game (founders pack :smithicide:).

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Major Spag posted:

I still have MC when I mistakenly thought this was going to be a great game (founders pack :smithicide:).

Then go hog wild I guess, unless you figure you might need that mc for premium time later or what have you.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
I've got over 1k hours of premium time I've not used (also from the founders pack).

I assume these will be available for Cbills next year?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the Timber Wolf will be one of the last ones available for c-bills. As far as "pay to win" goes, it's the best heavy mech in the game by a long shot. It runs at 89km/h, has the armor of a heavy and the firepower of an assault.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
http://mwomercs.com/news/2014/05/865-clan-mech-release-schedule

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lol

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Whew that means I don't have to start buying and leveling assaults and mediums.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

•Store Improvements

•All store items now have roll-over information panels
•All categories now have sorting
•The Battlemech category now has 'Mechs grouped by chassis.
•The Battlemech category now has sub-tabs for weight and type
•Mech Skills improvements

•Mech Sorting filters have been added
•Mechlab improvements
•Trial 'Mechs now appear only in the Trial tab
•The grid now loads faster

BAAAAAABY STEPS

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Has there ever been a user interface improvement that didn't have something to do with the store?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

pixelbaron posted:

Has there ever been a user interface improvement that didn't have something to do with the store?

They moved trial mechs into their own tab?

Edit: Huh, I just got an email from Niko saying I get a free month of premium time because they took too long to answer my support question. It wasn't anything critical either, just a clarification question.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 8, 2014

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
This game really does not want me to play it. Installed the game again today, found my old login and even watched the UI 2.0 tutorial. Three attempts to lab up a Mech, three CTDs.

I played back in the good old days, but had to quit before things apparently went to poo poo. Reading the thread I guess i didn't miss much.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
It's a sign, it means don't play

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Anta posted:

This game really does not want me to play it. Installed the game again today, found my old login and even watched the UI 2.0 tutorial. Three attempts to lab up a Mech, three CTDs.

I played back in the good old days, but had to quit before things apparently went to poo poo. Reading the thread I guess i didn't miss much.

Highblood posted:

It's a sign, it means don't play

It nice when things are simple.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

pixelbaron posted:

The Store still has the worst UI, so improvements there are needed. For some obscure reason you don't get any info pop-up you when hovering over a mech with the mouse that appears in any other part of the UI, nor do you get a visual preview of the mech if you select it. You're basically buying blind with no info on what you aquire, you have to tab out and google what that mech is actually capable of and equipped with.

Well, maybe they finally fixed this with this patch, haven't logged in yet, but the store is (or was) pure crap.

It's like :pgi: doesn't want you to buy their stompy robots.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Feindfeuer posted:

You're basically buying blind with no info on what you aquire, you have to tab out and google what that mech is actually capable of and equipped with.

Haha what the gently caress? Seriously? I never knew that because I (praise Jesus) was never actually fooled into throwing actual money at this piece of poo poo game.

That's great though. Just knowing that even the storefront is that lovely makes me happy.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Yes and that also includes the non-premium content. Want to know what those different expensive assault mech variants come with? Better tab out and take a look... well, according to the patchnotes you finally get roll-over infos now. But before, if you only relied on ingame information, you were buying those mechs blind.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Feindfeuer posted:

It's like :pgi: doesn't want you to buy their stompy robots.

This is how I feel about the pricing. "I would maybe like to be a Stormcrow pilot. Oh, I see I can only buy MC in intervals that let me buy one at a time for real money and have useless amounts left over. Neat."

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Still reading those patch notes, but the champion Trebuchet is a kick in the balls. Comes with a 320XL engine, engine cap is 325. :pgi:

Feindfeuer posted:

You're basically buying blind with no info on what you aquire, you have to tab out and google what that mech is actually capable of and equipped with.

Note: You can go into the mechlab and find whatever mech you're interested in (filter by weight, then swap from 'owned' to 'purchasable'), click on a mech to highlight it, then hit the Show Details (or whatever it's called) button to the lower right to see what it comes equipped with.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 8, 2014

RangerAce
Feb 25, 2014

WarLocke posted:

Still reading those patch notes, but the champion Trebuchet is a kick in the balls. Comes with a 320XL engine, engine cap is 325. :pgi:

Note: You can go into the mechlab and find whatever mech you're interested in (filter by weight, then swap from 'owned' to 'purchasable'), click on a mech to highlight it, then hit the Show Details (or whatever it's called) button to the lower right to see what it comes equipped with.

It's true. The best place to find out which 'mech to buy is not the part of the game where you buy 'mechs.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

RangerAce posted:

It's true. The best place to find out which 'mech to buy is not the part of the game where you buy 'mechs.

Well, actually you can buy mechs from the mechlab too.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

WarLocke posted:

That one math sperg on the MWO forums already noted that Champion mechs and their owners are somehow even more detrimental than Trials.

That's only by correlation though. However, a smaller engine is just shite.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Thor-Stryker posted:

That one math sperg on the MWO forums already noted that Champion mechs and their owners are somehow even more detrimental than Trials.

That's only by correlation though. However, a smaller engine is just shite.

BBBBBuuttttt (C) mechs are NGNG approved!

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Thor-Stryker posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this sentence, although it could just me being tired this late.

At least the trials are somewhat optimized (or at least not stock poo poo). The 2xLL, AC10, 2xSSRM2 Orion and the PPC, 2xAC5 Shadowhawk in particular seemed fairly decent to me when I tried them.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

WarLocke posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this sentence, although it could just me being tired this late.

At least the trials are somewhat optimized (or at least not stock poo poo). The 2xLL, AC10, 2xSSRM2 Orion and the PPC, 2xAC5 Shadowhawk in particular seemed fairly decent to me when I tried them.

I'm referring to this post: http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/170174-is-vs-clans-with-science/page__p__3695117#entry3695117

One of the first topics is the effectiveness of (c) mechs in battles. (Hint: It's not good)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Champion mechs are the trial mechs now. They perform terribly because most of their pilots are probably rank newbies. Their builds may not be consistently great, but they're certainly no worse than the ridiculous poo poo we've seen pubbies put together for themselves.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

It's an upgrade from the stock builds newbies were forced in before, but then again everything is better than stock.

Infeckt
Feb 17, 2014

I'ts nice to see they have yet to fix the heat vision performance issue.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
At least the trial mechs are capable of actually cooling on most maps. Remember that Dragon trial that was unable to cool down on Caustic?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I still find it hilarious that champion mechs as trials is are more or less absolute acknowledgement that stock mechs are totally garbage in the context of MWO. But rather then making them replace stock mechs they monetize them as champion mechs that have a really mediocre XP boost. So now a player goes from half-decent trial mechs, to buying a mech that is worse until they spend a ton more cbills to customize it to not be poo poo.

I kinda just wish they'd make a special module slot for an XP or CBill bonus, make champion loadouts replace stock loadouts, and replace the concept of champion mechs for MC with a "stock + XP or Cbill booster" bundle.

Adhering to tabletop has done this game so many disservices. Anyone at PGI who is okay with the design of DHS being mandatory for 99/100 IS Mechs but costing a whole bunch extra deserves a kick in the rear end.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Adhering to tabletop has done this game so many disservices. Anyone at PGI who is okay with the design of DHS being mandatory for 99/100 IS Mechs but costing a whole bunch extra deserves a kick in the rear end.

This isn't really just a tabletop thing. The whole design of 'does twice as much for the same weight' makes SHS obsolete in all but a tiny amount of edge cases (crit-locked assaults with lots of spare tonnage, basically).

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

WarLocke posted:

This isn't really just a tabletop thing. The whole design of 'does twice as much for the same weight' makes SHS obsolete in all but a tiny amount of edge cases (crit-locked assaults with lots of spare tonnage, basically).

I was speaking more to the price of DHS upgrade and the fact that most mech comes with SHS because "well that's how the stock loadout is"

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

WarLocke posted:

Well if one would gently caress around with the heat capacity in the .xml files one could give SHS a very specific niche role of capacity kings. And also help the IS - Clans balance. The same could apply to the base heat capacity and making it dependant on which kind of engine you use. Standard engine would have the biggest bace heat capacity, followed by IS-XL engines and Clan XL-engines having the worst capacity.
Heck one could even find a role for "compact" engines and give them even more capacity than standard engines.

I mean TT construction rules are incredible simplistic. You don't need more than a sheet of paper and something to write. A bit of basic maths knowledge is enough to create something balanced and paying a bit of homage to TT.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Well if one would gently caress around with the heat capacity in the .xml files one could give SHS a very specific niche role of capacity kings. And also help the IS - Clans balance. The same could apply to the base heat capacity and making it dependant on which kind of engine you use. Standard engine would have the biggest bace heat capacity, followed by IS-XL engines and Clan XL-engines having the worst capacity.
Heck one could even find a role for "compact" engines and give them even more capacity than standard engines.

Yeah, that would work, although it's probably too much effort because :pgi:

Also it would preclude including a proper heat scale with penalties (slowing/sluggishness as heat rises, chance of ammo explosions) although I guess you could work around it. It would just mean they have to choose between paradigms:

- Full heat scale, so players are expected to manage their heat and not go over ~50% unless they're deep in poo poo
- Somewhat less faithful heat scale (no ammo explosions?), you can alpha yourself up to near-shutdown but your mech becomes sluggish, slows and twists more slowly until you dissipate some heat

I just really want the current heat mechanic expanded in SOME way. Th binary 'can I ride this at 97% without hitting the shutdown point' mechanic we have now is just bad/boring.

e: Also bring back the old thermal filter that showed you how hot mechs were running. :argh:

e2: A pubbie just told me that Artemis only effects LRMs when they're direct-fired? That it does nothing if you're using a spotter and don't have LOS? Is it really worth the extra tonnage and crit slots for being situational like that (if true)?

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 8, 2014

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

WarLocke posted:

e2: A pubbie just told me that Artemis only effects LRMs when they're direct-fired? That it does nothing if you're using a spotter and don't have LOS? Is it really worth the extra tonnage and crit slots for being situational like that (if true)?
Correct. So its usefulness depends on how you play LRM boats. If you're doing close support, it is useful. If you like to fire from the next town over, less so. Artemis may also increase lock-on speed, but I'm not sure about that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, that would work, although it's probably too much effort because :pgi:

Also it would preclude including a proper heat scale with penalties (slowing/sluggishness as heat rises, chance of ammo explosions) although I guess you could work around it. It would just mean they have to choose between paradigms:

- Full heat scale, so players are expected to manage their heat and not go over ~50% unless they're deep in poo poo
- Somewhat less faithful heat scale (no ammo explosions?), you can alpha yourself up to near-shutdown but your mech becomes sluggish, slows and twists more slowly until you dissipate some heat

I just really want the current heat mechanic expanded in SOME way. Th binary 'can I ride this at 97% without hitting the shutdown point' mechanic we have now is just bad/boring.

More consequences for heat would be welcome, but I'm actually against ammo explosiosn from tabletop making an appearance in MWO, because you only have the one mech to use, and losing it can mean ~15 minutes of sitting around doing nothing.

I do favor something that ruins ammo and creates duds, so if you run hot, you'll start seeing LRMs/SRMs that misfire or fail in mid-air, or AC ammo that goes 'phunt' and never launches a projectile. CASE would also help mitigate this, just as it would for an ammo explosion, but doesn't stop it, just reduce the chance.

If this (and related heat penalties) got added though, I'd want to revisit the current cooling rate and heat load of weapons, as it's currently an overused blunt instrument for nerfing, and as we add more tools, we should pull back on the one that has been used for so long.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

I do favor something that ruins ammo and creates duds, so if you run hot, you'll start seeing LRMs/SRMs that misfire or fail in mid-air, or AC ammo that goes 'phunt' and never launches a projectile. CASE would also help mitigate this, just as it would for an ammo explosion, but doesn't stop it, just reduce the chance.

After thinking about it for a bit, I think doing this (or adding ammo explosions) would just move the meta towards all-energy boats.

Perhaps forget about ammo explosions or duds, and just have a progressive speed cap/twist speed penalty when you go over ~50% heat (just throwing numbers out here, but maybe if you're riding the edge of shutdown you'd be at 75% of your normal speed and 50% of your twist speed, so it's not so crippling you can't disengage but you're also not in a position to stay in combat safely?)

Couple this with a clear categorization of heat sinks (SHS increase heat capacity a good bit but barely any additional dissipation, DHS increase dissipation a lot but hardly any capacity; IS and Clan DHS are functionally identical except that Clan ones are smaller and Clan mechs don't have the option of switching to SHS) making IS mechs have a higher heat cap before they start getting penalized (but taking a while to cool down again) and Clan mechs suffer the high-heat penalties more because of their low cap but they dissipate the heat faster.

So basically Clan mechs are fast strikers that get in, alpha up, then disengage or use cover to cool down so they can repeat, and IS mechs are attrition brawlers that have to watch their heat a bit more because if they ride their scale hard and get in a situation where they can't disengage they may not be able to cool down (with the option of switching to DHS and playing more like Clan mechs)?

That's literally just 20 minutes of half-baked thoughts, feel free to poke holes.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I want to spend the last of my founders MC. Which Timberwolf is the best?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

drgnvale posted:

I want to spend the last of my founders MC. Which Timberwolf is the best?

They are nearly identical, but if you only get one, bear in mind that the s is going to be stuck with a permanent jump jet soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
I ended up getting the prime because it looks the most like the MW 2 timberwolf. I dropped the dumb pulse laser and shoved in a targeting computer because I've never had one before, but I really have no idea what I should be doing with this thing.

• Locked thread