Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, to be real clear Angulars templating lang is actually pretty poor at complex interactions. That's where you drop back to jQuery but that's through the aforementioned directives. That way you can turn your complex interaction into a reusable component that's ready to be dropped in to templates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manta
Jul 22, 2007

This is a newb question. What software tools do people use? Like if you were making a web site from nothing.
I find that I have a dozen files open in Notepad++ and I have XAMPP running. I keep making a change->saving the file->reloading it in my browser->"inspect element" to find problems->goto first step. It takes really long to get the right layout or get the js function I found online to work or whatever. What do you use to get your page layout, do people use tools like Dreamweaver or something like that? Do you use some IDE? I should be using a framework and am not yet so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Manta posted:

This is a newb question. What software tools do people use? Like if you were making a web site from nothing.
I find that I have a dozen files open in Notepad++ and I have XAMPP running. I keep making a change->saving the file->reloading it in my browser->"inspect element" to find problems->goto first step. It takes really long to get the right layout or get the js function I found online to work or whatever. What do you use to get your page layout, do people use tools like Dreamweaver or something like that? Do you use some IDE? I should be using a framework and am not yet so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Sublime Text 3 + Chrome developer tools does the job for me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If you're hung up on layouts and not design inclined I'd use a framework IMO.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Analytic Engine posted:

I'm having trouble supporting the SVG foreignObject element across multiple browsers and I'd appreciate the hell out of some advice.

svg:ForeignObject has uneven support and it's never going to change and it's bad practice to use it.

Instead, use a div that's positioned in absolute/relative/fixed (depending on your situation) with top/left corresponding to x/y of how you're positioning your SVG elements.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

Manta posted:

Pycharm (but any Jetbrains IDE is pretty good). One click to save/reload/run/test.

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't trace CSS usages or have LESS auto compile for me with full usage traceability like Pycharm gives me. (on top of regular Python/Django dev IDE goodness)

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

Manta posted:

It sounds like a lot of your trouble is just from inexperience with HTML or CSS and not necessarily the tools. I can throw together the structure of a page usually without having to check in the browser and be pretty confident its going to look as intended when I do check.

But yes, still your method is kind of a slower way of doing things. I use Grunt (http://gruntjs.com/) with BrowserSync to do live browser reloading and the browser is usually refreshed with the changes before I even turn my head to look at the monitor. It injects the changes via JS and so its not even a page reload.

I used CodeKit before I got comfortable with Grunt to do similar things, really super awesome no hassle setup but its Mac only.

Also for tweaking small things and debugging annoying problems, I just do most of that right in Chrome devtools. Now you can even just save the CSS changes straight from Chrome, using source maps for SASS/LESS preprocessed stuff. Same for JS tinkering, I dont even use devtools to its full potential for JS stuff but it can do a lot.

v1nce
Sep 19, 2004

Plant your brassicas in may and cover them in mulch.

streetlamp posted:

It sounds like a lot of your trouble is just from inexperience with HTML or CSS and not necessarily the tools.
Seconding this. There's a hell of a lot to learn and your slow progress is completely natural, so don't sweat it too much when things feel arduous and you come up against "simple" bugs.
Sometimes it's a case of learning a "trick" to something, sometimes you'll miss something obvious, sometimes it's about learning what you can't do. That low-level learning experience is quite important, and you'll be thankful for it when you end up debugging complex things at a low level later on.

If you want to make your life easier, yeah, switch to an IDE that's geared directly at the kind of development you're doing. I work with PHP so I personally use JetBrains PhpStorm.
An IDE with syntax highlighting, code completion and code inspection is incredibly helpful. After a long time in an IDE, having to work in notepad is like using hammer and chisel instead of an iPad. IDEs also usually have a recommended workflow for whatever you're editing, so look for any articles related to that.

When it comes to HTML and CSS debugging, as streetlamp said, get real handy with Chrome DevTools. Use devtools to modify your page and figure out those bugs in-browser, then apply the same changes to your original code. That'll help cut down on your back-and-forth.

Once you're feeling handy with HTML and CSS to a reasonable level, go look at HTML/CSS frameworks like Bootstrap3 or Foundation or whatever the flavour of the year is. These frameworks aim to standardise, simplify, and just make the whole thing of HTML/CSS more straight forward for everybody. Pick one. Play with it. Understand it. Work with it the way it was intended.

There's a lot of ways for you to be doing it wrong, but there's no 100% correct method. Give things a try before you get tied down to one approach and come to this thread when you get stuck, or when something doesn't make sense.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Well I prefer editors because it makes me actually read what's in the API instead of playing the "guess the method game" that autocomplete brings with it. Better for learning IMO.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Speaking of software:

I've been using Linux for a long time but I'm thinking of switching to Windows, and I'm wondering how I'm gonna preserve some of my workflow. Any Windows users here who still use command line tools like grunt, bower, ssh, git etc? How do you do it? I guess I should just run a virtual linux machine?

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

fuf posted:

Speaking of software:

I've been using Linux for a long time but I'm thinking of switching to Windows, and I'm wondering how I'm gonna preserve some of my workflow. Any Windows users here who still use command line tools like grunt, bower, ssh, git etc? How do you do it? I guess I should just run a virtual linux machine?

Personally I roll with Git-Bash wrapped inside Console.
It's kinda hacky but gets the job done on a daily basis.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
On that note, I have real problems using Sass with Grunt on Windows (7 specifically). I wonder if anyone can offer advice, I'm probably doing something wrong...

To get it work currently, I have to use Compass, which works but takes so long to compile. I would much rather use Grunt, but I get error messages each time I try and set it up. Specifically, I want to use it with Zurb Foundation, using the directions here:

http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/sass.html

Everytime I install via Grunt I get an error message saying "Error: Cannot find local grunt file" or something, even though the grunt file has been created and exists. I have everything installed - and have worked with Grunt a few times, often get the same error message and have to just try again, but recently it's been impossible to set up, so I've had to work with Compass, which is massive hassle. I've re-downloaded nodeJS, checked the version of Ruby is OK, use the ruby command line as administrator, re-installed Bower, re-installed Foundation, re-installed Grunt, but I get the same error no matter what.

What am I loving up?

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Chris! posted:

On that note, I have real problems using Sass with Grunt on Windows (7 specifically). I wonder if anyone can offer advice, I'm probably doing something wrong...

To get it work currently, I have to use Compass, which works but takes so long to compile. I would much rather use Grunt, but I get error messages each time I try and set it up. Specifically, I want to use it with Zurb Foundation, using the directions here:

http://foundation.zurb.com/docs/sass.html

Everytime I install via Grunt I get an error message saying "Error: Cannot find local grunt file" or something, even though the grunt file has been created and exists. I have everything installed - and have worked with Grunt a few times, often get the same error message and have to just try again, but recently it's been impossible to set up, so I've had to work with Compass, which is massive hassle. I've re-downloaded nodeJS, checked the version of Ruby is OK, use the ruby command line as administrator, re-installed Bower, re-installed Foundation, re-installed Grunt, but I get the same error no matter what.

What am I loving up?

Grunt 0.3.X looks for Grunt.js, Grunt 0.4.X looks for Gruntfile.js.
Could be the version they're using and your globally installed version are different.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

fuf posted:

Speaking of software:

I'm curious, why are you considering switching?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fuf posted:

I guess I should just run a virtual linux machine?

This is what I do, and it works perfect. I developed straight on Windows for years, but a couple years ago I decided to move to my current setup with Ubuntu in VMWare on two of my three monitors.

There's always some little issue on Windows with all these tools and libraries.
There's some ancillary benefits as well.

I really like being able to just suspend the VM when I'm done working without worrying about stopping ongoing tasks saving files, etc.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I work the opposite way. I run Linux Mint natively and I run Windows in Virtualbox. Linux is for all my development (and personal use), and Windows is strictly for Photoshop and IE testing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

caiman posted:

I work the opposite way. I run Linux Mint natively and I run Windows in Virtualbox. Linux is for all my development (and personal use), and Windows is strictly for Photoshop and IE testing.

This is what I'd do if it wasn't for games.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

fuf posted:

Speaking of software:

I perform some really menial amateur tasks with grunt in Windows. It's all done through CLI and I have a gruntfile.js that provides all the instructions and arguments. I've done some NodeJS work with Windows and like how NPM has played nice so far, but I think I'd drown if I had to do anything complex. The real difficulty curve for me has been learning the filesystem directories that Grunt/NPM/Git/etc use in Win7 and up.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

caiman posted:

Which version of Photoshop do you run and what's the performance like? I'm thinking of doing this but don't have good experience wrt VM performance.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gmaz posted:

Which version of Photoshop do you run and what's the performance like? I'm thinking of doing this but don't have good experience wrt VM performance.

CS6. Performance is great, just be sure your computer has sufficient memory. I've got 16GB and everything is smooth as silk.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

fuf posted:

Speaking of software:

CygWin with http://sourceware.org/cygwinports/ to round out anything the mainline CygWin is missing

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks for the responses.

Thermopyle posted:

This is what I do, and it works perfect. I developed straight on Windows for years, but a couple years ago I decided to move to my current setup with Ubuntu in VMWare on two of my three monitors.

How do you share files between the two? This is my only worry. Do I have to sync two directories somehow, or can they share?

caiman posted:

I'm curious, why are you considering switching?

I bought a badass new laptop and it has really bad linux support. I've persevered with linux as my sole OS for about 10 years, but this time I just can't face trying to fix everything. I had an embarrassing incident in a meeting with a client where I couldn't adjust the screen brightness and I was flapping around in the terminal trying to fix it for ages. That was kind of the final straw. I used to not mind having a half-broken computer all the time, but I can't really risk it anymore, I just need something that works.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

fuf posted:

How do you share files between the two? This is my only worry. Do I have to sync two directories somehow, or can they share?

I rarely have a need to, but there's several ways. The way I always do it is to simply copy and paste.

If you need something more robust, you can do a network share between them, or VMWare/Virtualbox both have built-in ways of sharing a folder that I don't know much about as I've never messed with it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Thermopyle posted:

If you need something more robust, you can do a network share between them, or VMWare/Virtualbox both have built-in ways of sharing a folder that I don't know much about as I've never messed with it.

It's super easy in Virtualbox (I'm not as familiar with VMWare but I'm sure it's just as simple). In the settings you just select which directory you want to share and it appears as a network location in the Windows guest. If you're pointing to your project's directory the transition is seamless.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Manta posted:

What do you use to get your page layout, do people use tools like Dreamweaver or something like that? Do you use some IDE? I should be using a framework and am not yet so maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Does anyone actually use Dreamweaver other than kids in web development classes?

We have a Joomla site and marketing wants to re-skin it, the internet won't shut up about Dreamweaver (that he's never used before).

My vote is for him to just sit his monkey rear end down with a CSS book and figure it out. Reasons being everyone else who needs to modify the site (me and one other guy) are going to have to buy and learn Dreamweaver instead of just editing the code. The site is nothing fancy.

Am I a caveman?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

My vote is for him to just sit his monkey rear end down with a CSS book and figure it out. Reasons being everyone else who needs to modify the site (me and one other guy) are going to have to buy and learn Dreamweaver instead of just editing the code. The site is nothing fancy.

Am I a caveman?

No, Dreamweaver was literally invented after fire and before using poo poo as pigment in paintings about antelope and the Great Bear Spirit. The last person to use Dreamweaver for professional web development was a young WC Fields. It runs on steam.

What I'm saying is it's old, and you shouldn't use it or let other people use it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TildeATH posted:

No, Dreamweaver was literally invented after fire and before using poo poo as pigment in paintings about antelope and the Great Bear Spirit. The last person to use Dreamweaver for professional web development was a young WC Fields. It runs on steam.

What I'm saying is it's old, and you shouldn't use it or let other people use it.

That's what I thought an emailed the kid this:

Nobody actually uses Dreamweaver. Well, some people do but they shouldn’t.

Here’s my reasoning:

The site wasn’t originally built with Dreamweaver. So you’re really using a screwdriver to pound in nails or however you want to say it.

If we did the site with Dreamweaver, each person who edits the site would then need a $399 copy of Dreamweaver. That might make it easier for Kate but I don’t think she wants to get that deep into it and would rather have myself, perhaps Bill, and of course you do the work.

Dreamweaver creates lots of mess behind the scenes and gets funky after a while.

Probably most importantly, it hides all the ‘work’ from you. Sure, you can still go in an edit code and that but you get a better understanding of the site and how HTML/CSS work by editing it by hand. It’s really not very complicated stuff.

I’d get a nice text editor like SublimeText or NotePad++ and spend a couple afternoons with the book Kate ordered (when it comes in) and you’ll be up to speed in no time.

Now I wish I had emailed him what you wrote.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

And today your browser is basically a WYSIWYG editor anyway.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gmaz posted:

And today your browser is basically a WYSIWYG editor anyway.

What do you mean by this?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
You can edit any page though developer tools and or/ plugins anyway.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You can edit the page by manipulating the HTML/CSS, but I wouldn't call that a WYSIWYG.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

Why wouldn't you call it that? What you see e.g. a change made in the inspector is quite literally what you get when you save that change.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ehh, WYSIWYG generally implies no code manipulation.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Gmaz posted:

Why wouldn't you call it that? What you see e.g. a change made in the inspector is quite literally what you get when you save that change.

I've always thought of WYSIWYG editors to be those that generate code automatically by letting the user directly manipulate the styling. Kinda the opposite of what you're doing in dev tools.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

I suppose, though I wouldn't be surprised if there are browser plugins for that too.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

There's also https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/HTMLElement.contentEditable

lmao at the list of IE bugs at the bottom, though. I hear they've got a lot of devs on their voting site asking for Dart support for their backwards pile of bugs and weird rendering quirks. That'll end well, I'm sure.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Macaw ( http://macaw.co ) is what you want to look into for a good attempt at a responsive and effective WYSIWYG web design tool. It looks alright, and potentially means a lot of PSD choppers will be out of a job in a decade, but I haven't had a reason to use it yet. I think as standards get better and flexbox becomes fully supported for all your expected browser targets, designers directly building into a system like this might be the big thing.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
If you don't want to touch code at all, Adobe Muse is an amazing piece of software. I don't really use it much myself since I find Illustrator easier to design in, and then prototype directly in code, but for a non-coding designer Muse is a godsend.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

A while back I found a website which offered a RESTful API that would send certain error responses for various calls. I didn't save a bookmark unfortunately and I need to have a few calls fail to check some fallback code in an app I'm working on. Don't suppose anyone remembers what it is or has any other ideas for what I could use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone actually use Dreamweaver other than kids in web development classes?
I use Dreamweaver as a bare ftp client because it's on my pc as part of the suite and I'm too lazy to replace it with something else, also I'm a caveman.