Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

chumbler posted:

Did it look to anyone else like Cia doesn't have a dodge roll but instead does a brief dodge in place?

Might be an alright trade-off, she seems really, really strong. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

She seems to laugh after quite a bit of her attacks, which may be grounds for me to turn off the sound while playing her.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fix posted:

What is VS dragon? I don't think I've ever seen a VS skill.

All I've ever had are useless skills - bomb+ or strength IV or whatever, that are really situational and never worth moving stuff about for.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hell, I haven't even gotten +Bomb...it's all Strength (roman numeral), +Element, or +Rupees/Mats/Hearts/Slots. How do you get those skills?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mr E posted:

She seems to laugh after quite a bit of her attacks, which may be grounds for me to turn off the sound while playing her.

Look at this wrong opinion. I bet you didn't even give Ganondorf some time to savor his victory before finishing legend mode.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

chumbler posted:

Look at this wrong opinion. I bet you didn't even give Ganondorf some time to savor his victory before finishing legend mode.

His laugh doesn't annoy me, so of course I do! I also let Darunia do his kickin rad Saria's dance.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

So I did an Adventure map where you have to fight two Imprisoned, in order to get some Ice Arrows to reveal the A rank reward. I used Sheik, and got an A rank easy.

Then I revealed the A rank reward, which you have to use Sheik to get. :v: Welp. At least I know I can do it!

(Seriously Sheik is so loving good oh my GOD!)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Hell, I haven't even gotten +Bomb...it's all Strength (roman numeral), +Element, or +Rupees/Mats/Hearts/Slots. How do you get those skills?

Easiest way is to use mixes to increase the chance of them showing up on drops. I think the first mix for VS skills shows up at 10 Skulltulas.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Bomb+ was an unlock skill. I think having to get Skulltulas to get the better abilities is bollocks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So wait, I got the first full illustration using the first two skulltulas from Hard Mode... Aren't I supposed to unlock some kind of a grinding LEVEL UP HERE map or scenario or something?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

So wait, I got the first full illustration using the first two skulltulas from Hard Mode... Aren't I supposed to unlock some kind of a grinding LEVEL UP HERE map or scenario or something?

It should be a new option under "Adventure Mode". It's a map that has every named character on it as bad guys.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The level 2 Darunia's weapon mission is driving me crazy at the moment. I've tried a couple different strategies at this point but the Allied base always seems to go down if I'm not standing in it the entire time. Doesn't help that I have like 0 good Darunia hammers so I'm basically stuck doing YYYB with a level 1 weapon with +Fire to make any kind of dent.

On my last attempt I had everything ready to go for an A rank, just running up to the final boss in the north of the map, and halfway up failed because the loving base got taken.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
For the person last page asking, Agitha's XXXXY is the only move you should ever be using. All others are pretty much garbage, but that one charges a green beetle in front of you for a decent distance and does ridiculous damage. You can even go into butterfly mode immediately after and dive bomb anything you missed.

Though I'll go ahead and admit I hate using Fi. She feels so weak and floaty. Her XXXY is about the only saving grace.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

It should be a new option under "Adventure Mode". It's a map that has every named character on it as bad guys.

I found it. I tried it as Ruto, playing her for the first time, and totally flopped, then managed to clear it (with a C for damage and a B for time), but I didn't particularly notice that I leveled a ton. I think I gained a total of two levels and about the normal amount of rupees, although the materials rewards dropped from killing all of the good guys were quite nice. :D

I'm still in the early 30s for levels though, which I don't feel like is going to be good enough for adventure mode.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Drakenel posted:

For the person last page asking, Agitha's XXXXY is the only move you should ever be using. All others are pretty much garbage, but that one charges a green beetle in front of you for a decent distance and does ridiculous damage. You can even go into butterfly mode immediately after and dive bomb anything you missed.

BBBY is good too. If an enemy can be picked up they'll get trapped in the wind. This also lets you hit them with the butterfly's other attacks, although that's of questionable usefulness. That's the real problem I have with her - her butterfly seems like it's intended to be the centerpiece of her moveset, but it usually turns out to be more trouble than it's worth.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

The person playing seems to have missed that you can make Cia stomp several times for maximum mob clearing. :black101:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

I found it. I tried it as Ruto, playing her for the first time, and totally flopped, then managed to clear it (with a C for damage and a B for time), but I didn't particularly notice that I leveled a ton. I think I gained a total of two levels and about the normal amount of rupees, although the materials rewards dropped from killing all of the good guys were quite nice. :D

I'm still in the early 30s for levels though, which I don't feel like is going to be good enough for adventure mode.

I think it's not so much for leveling as it is for rare character drops.

And I've done a ton of stuff at level 30 in Adventure Mode. It's kinda more dependent on your weapon level than your character level.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Bought this game a couple of days ago and I'm completely hooked, it's great. I'm starting to chip away at Adventure, and even though I'm not on the hard ones everyone talks about yet, it's still really tough! I'm really not a fan of the "recommended element" thing, I just want to use the dudes I like. (Link, Impa, and Fi.)

I did just unlock the ball and chain this morning, and it's loving insane. I didn't know it was possible to so badly mischaracterize a dude like Link, but somehow I think giving him a gigantic fuckoff spiky ball of death puts him a little out of his element. And it's fantastic. What a great game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Bought this game a couple of days ago and I'm completely hooked, it's great. I'm starting to chip away at Adventure, and even though I'm not on the hard ones everyone talks about yet, it's still really tough! I'm really not a fan of the "recommended element" thing, I just want to use the dudes I like. (Link, Impa, and Fi.)

As near as I can tell, recommended elements aren't that big of a deal. Unless you have to use a specific character, just pick whoever you want.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Oh, and this is the advice I got upthread:

bonzibuddy64 posted:

If you complete the first Skulltula illustration, you unlock an awesome "Rewards Map" seperate from the Adventure Mode map. The first mission in the Rewards Map is really, really good for farming weapons, materials, EXP, rupees, and unsealing skills on weapons. The monsters are super easy for any character to kill and the 6 generals start off neutral and surrounded by enemies, and since they're neutral they won't go lower than 1%. So you can just farm around 1000 kills for weapons, materials and stuff, then go recruit a general, kill the other 5 super fast since they're at 1% hp, get their silver/gold materials or weapons, and kill the boss. Every time you clear it you get a 40k rupee bonus, and if you have a weapon with Slots+ and Stars+ on it and a potion from the apothecary you can get really good weapon drops. It's my favorite mission for just fuckin' around and lazily killing stuff, stress-free.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I've ground through that map a few times, and Midna is always the one I rescue because she's in a really secure position relative to everyone else, so she usually has a ton of health if you recruit someone else. Not that it really matters unless you're trying to farm her drops specifically.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
You can just wait longer for her to get low too, but there are definitely better ways to farm Midna drops. It's great for everyone else though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sheik is probably the best character in the game for bullshitting tough missions because she can make herself invincible and fully recharge her special meter constantly

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For the list of good giant boss weakness killers, there's the deku spear's full B combo and BBBBY (dash cancel for the love of god) and Ghirahim has his BBBYY. In fact that is Ghirahim's only combo. He has no other combos, and it is rude to give him the false hope that he might. The deku spear's BYYY combo is also good against smaller bosses. Practically guaranteed to hit everything except darknuts/stalmasters, and you get a water dot after.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

mabels big day posted:

Sheik is probably the best character in the game for bullshitting tough missions because she can make herself invincible and fully recharge her special meter constantly

Yeah, even at low-30s her tier 3 weapon is an absolute cakewalk. Agitha's was still hard even at 70.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

That rewards map sounds insane!

To get the first illustration completed you need the hard-mode Skultullas, right? How do you get those again? Set difficulty to hard mode and...?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

That rewards map sounds insane!

To get the first illustration completed you need the hard-mode Skultullas, right? How do you get those again? Set difficulty to hard mode and...?

First rewards map is all normal mode skulltulas + the first two hard mode ones from Legend Mode

Hard Mode Skulltula require hard mode (duh) and slightly different criteria depending on the mission. In the mission just go to the menu and to "warrior info"

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

More like "go to google" because the description in-game of what you need to do will be something like "Go to ??? and do ??? before ??? happens" and the question marks only get filled in after you get the skulltula.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Suaimhneas posted:

More like "go to google" because the description in-game of what you need to do will be something like "Go to ??? and do ??? before ??? happens" and the question marks only get filled in after you get the skulltula.

If you wanna take away half the fun, sure. :colbert:

Seriously though most of them aren't hard to figure out unless you've forgotten everything about the mission since you first played it.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Not that its very hard to figure out anyway when you've played the stage once already.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

chumbler posted:

Ghirahim has his BBBYY. In fact that is Ghirahim's only combo. He has no other combos, and it is rude to give him the false hope that he might.

Ghirahim's YXX is instant point breaker on non-bosses except maybe re-deads/gibdos because they're cheating assholes. Anyway, that combo is really goddamn good and if their weak point isn't exposed, it even recovers quickly enough that you can start a new Y string while your opponent is recovering. Also YYYYX is fantastic for taking keeps.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Seriously though most of them aren't hard to figure out unless you've forgotten everything about the mission since you first played it.

Which is pretty much what happened when I spent a bunch of time in adventure mode after beating legend mode, before going back and trying hard mode :v:

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Woo, I unlocked Zelda's rank 2 baton, Link's last weapon, and Link's rank 3 sword. Gonna unlock Zant later today, and then I'll have all the characters at least. But there's still so much to do on this adventure map...

That free DLC pack comes out in like a week, doesn't it? I'll never finish this game.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

HJE-Cobra posted:

Woo, I unlocked Zelda's rank 2 baton, Link's last weapon, and Link's rank 3 sword. Gonna unlock Zant later today, and then I'll have all the characters at least. But there's still so much to do on this adventure map...

That free DLC pack comes out in like a week, doesn't it? I'll never finish this game.

Just to make things clear, the first DLC pack is not free. What is free is a patch that unlocks Cia, Volga, and Wizzro. However, if you buy the first DLC you get a new Adventure Mode map (Master Quest remix of Zelda 1) which has stages meant for the three new villains, the new Epona weapon for Link, and some new costumes and recolors.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Drakenel posted:

Though I'll go ahead and admit I hate using Fi. She feels so weak and floaty. Her XXXY is about the only saving grace.

Man I love playing as Fi and dancing enemies to death. I found that being floaty can actually be an advantage since that means she'll never stop circling enemy officers and they can never block your attacks.

I have a tough time getting into Midna even though both of them have the same element-charging gimmick. Getting the light buff working is easy enough since you just need to dance through a group of enemies and suddenly your attack power sky-rockets, but I can never get the dark buff going because officers will just block all your attacks.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, and this is the advice I got upthread:

Ahh, that makes more sense. I was recruiting my companion way earlier than I probably should have been instead of just loving around wrecking moblins. Getting some better weapons will definitely help, as will some of the badges.

Right now I'm getting murdered on four different corners of the map - the fiery Aerolfos with devastating attacks have probably killed Ruto more times than I can count, the three Imprisoneds are stomping all over Fii. Adventure Mode is hard!!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

For levels where "all attacks are devastating" use the bow to snipe targets from a distance, and always be moving so you're not next to some mook for long enough for it to summon up the courage to tap you

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

For levels where "all attacks are devastating" use the bow to snipe targets from a distance, and always be moving so you're not next to some mook for long enough for it to summon up the courage to tap you

It was mentioned in this thread before, but if you're not trying to do it with a specific character you can just use Zelda's baton and spam strong attack -> dodge to shoot tornadoes out that gib everything.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

a cartoon duck posted:

Man I love playing as Fi and dancing enemies to death. I found that being floaty can actually be an advantage since that means she'll never stop circling enemy officers and they can never block your attacks.

I have a tough time getting into Midna even though both of them have the same element-charging gimmick. Getting the light buff working is easy enough since you just need to dance through a group of enemies and suddenly your attack power sky-rockets, but I can never get the dark buff going because officers will just block all your attacks.

Admittedly, I'm still stuck with 2 star tier 1 weapons on her and badges aren't entirely set up. Also my first real attempt at using her was the adventure mode stage where the last keep fight involved The Imprisoned and two little baby imprisoned. Taking the big guy down took so long that my spite for her wet noodle attacks grew as the fight dragged on. I think. :v:

As for midna, the person that said her YYYYX attack is the thing to use has made her into a much more viable character. It charges the elemental bar and wrecks everything in sight pretty hard. If someone is blocking, start the combo away from your target so the first attack to hit them is the last Y or so.

Also holy poo poo are the 'defeat x number of enemies in 10 minutes' missions unfun. On the later ones you have to focus on the mooks pretty much exclusively and having manhandla (seriously who named that) or gohma sniping you in the butt is annoying, because you can't really take the time to fight them if you want an A rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Drakenel posted:

Admittedly, I'm still stuck with 2 star tier 1 weapons on her and badges aren't entirely set up. Also my first real attempt at using her was the adventure mode stage where the last keep fight involved The Imprisoned and two little baby imprisoned. Taking the big guy down took so long that my spite for her wet noodle attacks grew as the fight dragged on. I think. :v:

As for midna, the person that said her YYYYX attack is the thing to use has made her into a much more viable character. It charges the elemental bar and wrecks everything in sight pretty hard. If someone is blocking, start the combo away from your target so the first attack to hit them is the last Y or so.

Also holy poo poo are the 'defeat x number of enemies in 10 minutes' missions unfun. On the later ones you have to focus on the mooks pretty much exclusively and having manhandla (seriously who named that) or gohma sniping you in the butt is annoying, because you can't really take the time to fight them if you want an A rank.

God those missions blow. I've taken to just using sword link on them unless I need to use someone else to get a weapon or something. I just want them done with so I can move on.

I can't think of another mission type I like less.

• Locked thread