Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's not the dread and menace that they have a problem with, it's solely the gore. And yet they're okay with severed vampire dongs.

I'm horrified whenever I see trauma done to genetalia in a movie or tv show and yet the mentioned scene from The Strain didn't give me that reaction. I was shocked but I wasn't horrified, because it was purely fantasy. There's a very real difference in watching horrible poo poo that could never possibly happen and watching horrible poo poo that could and probably does happen every day. The gore is as much tied to the setting and feel of the show as the story content or mood.

I can watch the Walking Dead and The Strain and Supernatural and Game of Thrones and all the horrific poo poo that happens in those shows because the settings and context make it so foreign to my world that it never feels remotely real. But I can't stomach Criminal Minds or SVU because sick human beings do twisted and evil things to real human beings every day and watching that poo poo fictionalized just destroys me. I don't finish an episode of The Walking Dead or The Strain and worry about a zombie or vampire apocalypse. But I don't want to put my head down and think about children being brutalized or something like that because that poo poo is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't like teeth violence.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

SALT CURES HAM posted:

So my parents started watching Utopia (UK) on my recommendation and they think I'm a psychopath now.

Is there a lot more kid killing after the initial episode? It upset me on a base level with the opening scene and I never went back to it.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Ariza posted:

Is there a lot more kid killing after the initial episode? It upset me on a base level with the opening scene and I never went back to it.

Not a lot, but there is some, yes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Ariza posted:

Yes, this show is not for you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The guy who made Glee is now making OJ Simpson: The TV Show.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

zoux posted:

So, OJ's going to crysturbate?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Rarity posted:

Yes, this show is not for you.

:( Maybe they'll neuter the American version.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

David Fincher made the rape(s) in Dragon Tattoo way worse than the original

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oddly, the Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret is coming back.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Twin Peaks and Todd Margaret, drat good day to be a gangsta.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Ricky & Morty season 1 set comes with an actual copy of "The Good Morty" tract, which is just as goofy as you'd think.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

David Fincher made the rape(s) in Dragon Tattoo way worse than the original

Isn't it just accurate to how horrifying the book's description is?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

zoux posted:

I hope it's actually another season of American Horror Story and it will be about ghosts framing OJ.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's gonna take a hell of a retcon to pull off.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh my god whatever accent Scott Bakula is trying to do in CSI New Orleans is the worst thing I've heard.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

angerbot posted:

Oh my god whatever accent Scott Bakula is trying to do in CSI New Orleans is the worst thing I've heard.

We gon have some funnnnnn

I don't know why CBS keeps including that clip in all of their promos as though that isn't a totally embarrassing 5 seconds of one's acting career.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

angerbot posted:

As a Cajun I gotta say it's probably the best part about it, in the sense that at least it's entertaining.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Manhattan Love Story: A second runner-up on America's Next Top Model supposedly can't get dates

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Long shot here, but does anyone have a TiVo Roamio and is able to use TiVo desktop (or kmttg or any other software like it) to connect to and download from their TiVo? I've done about everything I can think of and I still can't get the damned thing to show up in any of those download shows to your PC programs. Even more annoying is that there's all sorts of references online to people stating that they can just go to the TiVo's IP address and access everything there but when I try I just get a page saying "Congratulations for connecting your TiVo to your network! :v:".

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 8, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stephen Collins was in Star Trek. Coincedence?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Stephen Collins was in Star Trek. Coincedence?

MODS WIFE KNEW

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

angerbot posted:

Apparently it's NCIS, or perhaps I'm missing the joke.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Maybe it's because I lowered my expectations to rock-bottom, but I actually enjoyed American Horror Story season 3 a lot! It's silly as gently caress a lot of the time and isn't really that scary, but it's still really entertaining. Why did goons hate it so much?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Kurtofan posted:

Apparently it's NCIS, or perhaps I'm missing the joke.

All these shows bleed together, really.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Maybe it's because I lowered my expectations to rock-bottom, but I actually enjoyed American Horror Story season 3 a lot! It's silly as gently caress a lot of the time and isn't really that scary, but it's still really entertaining. Why did goons hate it so much?

I gave up pretty quickly because I didn't like any of the characters.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Because it had zero sense of drama or danger because they kept introducing plot points only to never mention them again and almost every character dies and is brought back from the dead, often multiple times and offscreen with zero fanfare or consequence.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

It's strange when people state the real reason in their question. Not being scary and being really silly was enough for me to not think it was entertaining. I think I phased out by the time that chick was getting raped by a Minotaur or something. Oh boy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can't remember the last TV show that was actually scary to me. I guess Friday the 13th the Series, but I was like 10.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

The only scary tv shows are documentaries about real things that will kill us all. Fiction shows aren't scary because they aren't real.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Season 4 Fringe episode "Nothing As It Seems" had a stupid jump scare that made me spill my drink all over my food.

They're investigating the house of someone that turned into a huge monster, I was all " guess the monster is here" when I decide to drink and BAM huge monster jumps them, coke is shot up my nose and spills into my plate

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't count jump scares.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

zoux posted:

I don't count jump scares.

Exactly. Getting startled isn't the same as getting scared.

edit: coke is supposed to go up your nose

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fateo McMurray posted:

The only scary tv shows are documentaries about real things that will kill us all. Fiction shows aren't scary because they aren't real.

I find cable news quite scary, but not because of the content.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually, this is pretty scary.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I found the Mad Men episode Mystery Date to actually be pretty scary and surreal. I was unnerved after watching it. The home invasion scene in the second to last Breaking Bad was also scary.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Real World season 3 made me scared of AIDS for the next 10 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

7th Heaven is apparently cursed.

The dad is a child molester, one of the daughters (I guess? I didn't watch it) died at 40, and Jessica Biel's career.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jessica Biel married JT so I think she's doing ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

7th Heaven is apparently cursed.

The dad is a child molester, one of the daughters (I guess? I didn't watch it) died at 40, and Jessica Biel's career.

Sounds like she was the daughter-in-law, so probably married to Barry Watson's character or something.

Also, Biel's career is basically legendary compared to the rest of the cast on that show.

• Locked thread