Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Shedrakzo posted:

He's certainly getting to be pretty brave.

I think its more likely that he's just been in perpetual terror for so long that his body has built up a resistance to fear hormones. He's like a hardcore alchoholic except for Cthulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Shedrakzo posted:

He's certainly getting to be pretty brave.

I think he's more unstable, obsessive and kinda cracking about the whole thing right now.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Something I just noticed after someone pointed it out in the comments section is that the whole background of the site is actually water with sun rays on top filtering down into darkness. We should have known deep water of some kind was going to be involved from the beginning of the storyline.

There was also this previous comic where he dreamed of himself as a corpse with air bubbles coming out of his mouth. :ohdear:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
The background is named "bh_back_angleworm.jpg". So I guess it's been that since the beginning of book 2? Wayback machine kind of confirms it's been there for quite awhile, all the way back since early in book 2.

This is like the bloodstains in the navigation all over again. Which also seem to have been there since the start of book 2.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Update

I can't remember a webcomic ever making me feel this kind of suspense before. I really really want to know what's down there.

And yet at the same time, I really really don't.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Zoe posted:

There was also this previous comic where he dreamed of himself as a corpse with air bubbles coming out of his mouth. :ohdear:

Maybe what he dreamed about was his uncle's drowned corpse.

And Zane is right, of course. The Bottlefly Boys can't see the big monster bug like he does, but that is because the Bottlefly Boys never open their drat eyes.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

New update.

Wadsworth's unnervingly calm considering what's going on. Poor Iris, though. Imagine what's going on in her head.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wadsworth you dork bravery basically requires being scared

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
You wanna know what the scariest thing is?

Wadsworth isn't going to fix Broodhollow.

Because it isn't broken.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Boy, that's deeper than it initially looked.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Sometimes simplicity is everything. Neat image.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

And finally, the page background works out perfectly with the update.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh god the scary bright horizontal light is back, and this time it's centered on Wadsworth's face.

Also this one really taps into the goon 'gently caress the ocean' mindset pretty well huh :stonklol:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Ah yes, I regularly fall out the bottom of ponds.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
This is reminding more and more of Uzumaki, and it's not helping my nerves! :cry:

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Welcome to the Underdark! Beware of Falmer.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Yeah so that's probably not good.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
holy poo poo :ohdear:

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
This is some SCP poo poo.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
what.

Idrin
Jun 11, 2007

Well he's not going back the way he came in

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
He'll have to ditch the helmet to go exploring, they're going to pull it up and assume he drowned, calling it now. Extra points if he manages to return to the surface just in time to crash his own funeral.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Oh hey, it's that thing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are there little stickfigures painted on the wall behind Zane?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
Turning out even more like Uzumaki now, ominous as gently caress, got that sinking feeling in my belly. Actually surprised Zane didn't crack earlier. Guy's building up a resistance.

Tollymain posted:

Are there little stickfigures painted on the wall behind Zane?
Oh christ, what if they're tally marks?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

They're totally tally marks.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Can't wait to see whatever he just saw.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Carrasco posted:

It's standing right behind you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So every one of the rock piles has a hovering blue light above it with a trademark Broodhollow horizontal blue lens flare.

And the markings definitely resemble the... tall ring-of-lights monster... but it ain't made of a pile of stones.

Also, there's solid shadows going on here. Whatever he's looking at is bright, brighter than any of the other sources.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 8, 2014

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
i just hope the folk up on the surface haven't forgotten why they're standing by the pond

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

amishjosh posted:

i just hope the folk up on the surface haven't forgotten why they're standing by the pond

For a moment I thought that was a joke, but then I realized that it's a real possibility.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Carrasco posted:

You already have.

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

Pavlov posted:

For a moment I thought that was a joke, but then I realized that it's a real possibility.

yah, it's not like this hasn't(potentially) happened before

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

amishjosh posted:

yah, it's not like this hasn't(potentially) happened before

That might be the scariest part about all of this. How many times has it all happened before? And will Wadsworth's Pattern help him break the pattern or is it part of the problem?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
It seems to be too gradual to just happen while they're in the middle of something. If nothing else, they should be able to act as each other's hems right now.

Ariong posted:

You already have.

...drat.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT?

WHY?

NO!

STRAUB, YOU BASTARD!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

drat.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

you sure?
What the gently caress, what the gently caress, what the gently caress!?!?!?!?!?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

So many cairns...

e: some of those cages look like something escaped with great force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well poo poo.

Hell of a cliffhanger.

• Locked thread