Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I drafted a really greedy BG deck splashing for Baleful Strix with hardly any duals. The deck also featured several BBB cards.
Solution: draw Urborg EVERY game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Greed, you say?

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Lord Of Texas posted:

Greed, you say?

Please tell me there are three islands somewhere in that deck.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
How do you guys clean your dragon shield sleeves. They're pretty nice and protect your cards well but drat they get dirty insanely fast.

Edit:

WhiteWolf123 posted:

potomacdistribution is dirt cheap on bulk sleeves. If you're going to single-sleeve, I'd go with Dragonshields. If you're going to double-sleeve, I'd use KMC perfect fits and KMC sleeves.

Holy crap :stare: that is some cheap bulk buying for sleeves.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 26, 2014

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Thisuck posted:

How do you guys clean your dragon shield sleeves. They're pretty nice and protect your cards well but drat they get dirty insanely fast.

Easiest thing you can do is use a playmat. I find my sleeves stay relatively clean as long as I'm not playing on grungy FLGS tables.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Lord Of Texas posted:

Easiest thing you can do is use a playmat. I find my sleeves stay relatively clean as long as I'm not playing on grungy FLGS tables.

Doesn't matter with Dragon Shields. They're filthy by the end of one or two tournaments just from behind handled. They're DURABLE sleeves, but they just accumulate grime like no other, which is why I never use them.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Yeah I do all the time. The problem is, I have this stupid genetic condition where I have sweaty hands, apparently it's a nerve issue that I need serious surgery for :/

And my sweaty hands leaves these black dirt/fiber specs on my card sleeves when I shuffle or move them around while holding them.

I recently switched to KMC hypermat for one of my decks, depending on how those turn out and also how cheap it is to buy them in bulk now that someone linked that site, I can just fully sleeve my cube and my decks with the KMC

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Thisuck posted:

I recently switched to KMC hypermat for one of my decks, depending on how those turn out and also how cheap it is to buy them in bulk now that someone linked that site, I can just fully sleeve my cube and my decks with the KMC

Yeah, I use KMC Matte Blue for my cube and have had no issues with grime. Good luck!

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
The last two years I've had my cube in the regular matte sleeves (blue, then black). They accumulate some grime on the front, but it was never bad. Just resleeved the whole thing in hyper matte this time, and I'm hopeful for them. Potomac Distribution is totally the way to go.

Also there's nothing better than how great cards look in fresh perfect size/outer sleeves.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

WhiteWolf123 posted:

potomacdistribution is dirt cheap on bulk sleeves. If you're going to single-sleeve, I'd go with Dragonshields. If you're going to double-sleeve, I'd use KMC perfect fits and KMC sleeves.

This, but I prefer KMC Hyper Matte sleeves even if you are just doing single sleeve. They are by far the best sleeves I've ever used.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah I recently switched to KMC Hyper Matte greens for my cube. I re-did the whole thing for like $55 from Potomac. I was tired of having to clean my Dragon Shields every so often and, also, the front of Dragon Shields get cloudy over time which really detracts from the prettiness of foils! :bigtran:

Benefit of KMC Hyper Matte is that 1) they're cut perfectly to size, 2) fit KMC perfect fits... perfectly and 3) don't get gross as quickly as Dragon Shields (and possibly not at all). However they do split...

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
I'm thinking about making the plunge and building a cube of my own.
What's the best way to start building one? Just grab a bunch of commons/uncommons and throw them together, or should I really sit down and work out exactly what strategies I'd want to see played?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It really depends on your budget, your expected number of players, and what you want out of cubing (playing with Power 9, building a custom draft environment, using all Rebecca Guay art, etc).

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Man_alive posted:

I'm thinking about making the plunge and building a cube of my own.
What's the best way to start building one? Just grab a bunch of commons/uncommons and throw them together, or should I really sit down and work out exactly what strategies I'd want to see played?

My best advice is to read this thread and start there. You only have to pony up a few hundred to invest in all of the uncommons/commons, sleeves and a cardboard box to house them in. It really can simulate a powerful draft experience (because it's 360 of magic's best uncommons and commons!) without breaking your bank. And over time you can start putting rares in it as money permits.

Alternatively, you can just throw a cockamamie pile of random together and draft it, but it won't have any sort of color balance or fixing.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Null1fy posted:

My best advice is to read this thread and start there. You only have to pony up a few hundred to invest in all of the uncommons/commons, sleeves and a cardboard box to house them in. It really can simulate a powerful draft experience (because it's 360 of magic's best uncommons and commons!) without breaking your bank. And over time you can start putting rares in it as money permits.

Alternatively, you can just throw a cockamamie pile of random together and draft it, but it won't have any sort of color balance or fixing.

Thank you for the tip. I've had a flick through some of the cubes there and found a couple that I like the look of.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Anyone else here draft the limited resources cube? I just did it for the first time this past thursday and had a ton of fun. I even wrote about it in my blog.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
I think every cube should have Villainous Wealth.

Every.

Cube.

It's not just wealth, but villainous wealth! :getin:

Edit: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/17469 That's the cube I'm working on, it's a non-powered cube with a bunch of rares/commons I had lying around, I wanted to make a cube where all my friends could play with fun expensive cards. It also have a few dumb combos like Illusions of Grandeur + donate + disenchant. Something we thought up of while debating whether or not Despotic Scepter actually have a place in anyone's deck.

Thisuck fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 29, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

i won this game

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

I Love You! posted:

i won this game

That's because you're supposed to cast Plow Under on turn 2, not turn 4 when they have a looter out to negate a lot of the tempo-loss.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

BaronVonVaderham posted:

That's because you're supposed to cast Plow Under on turn 2, not turn 4 when they have a looter out to negate a lot of the tempo-loss.

Cube is awesome, Looter il-kor is truth.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."

Thisuck posted:

Edit: http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/17469 That's the cube I'm working on, it's a non-powered cube with a bunch of rares/commons I had lying around, I wanted to make a cube where all my friends could play with fun expensive cards. It also have a few dumb combos like Illusions of Grandeur + donate + disenchant. Something we thought up of while debating whether or not Despotic Scepter actually have a place in anyone's deck.

I'd be interested in knowing how good Triplicate Spirits is in this sort of cube.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Ebethron posted:

I'd be interested in knowing how good Triplicate Spirits is in this sort of cube.

I will report once I finish building it! Almost done though. Need some more creature suggestions for black, white, red, and blue though. When I test draft this right now, there aren't enough creatures to do much, just a ton of spells.

I went with that because of potential token deck you can build with it. I'm thinking about throwing a Mardu Ascension as well. So given enough tokens, convoke stuff should be pretty easy to cast.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It just seems like there's better spells to fill that role for cube already, like Midnight Haunting and Lingering Souls.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
Hmm need to get Midnight Haunting now for more [cat]spirit action.

What some fun black cards to add? I'm running out of ideas on ones that are fun to use but not obscenely broken.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Thisuck posted:

Hmm need to get Midnight Haunting now for more [cat]spirit action.

What some fun black cards to add? I'm running out of ideas on ones that are fun to use but not obscenely broken.

Disciple of Bolas and Toshiro Umezawa are cool. Your black aggro section looks kind of weak, maybe some of Thrill-Kill Assassin, Shadow Alley Denizen, Rakdos Cackler, Vampire Lacerator (close to but not exactly like carnophage) could be fun. Virulent Swipe is a really neat combat trick, Tragic Slip rules, Lose Hope is deceptively decent, and Murderous Cut is just sweet.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to break up a bunch of decks I made in a set to put a drafting cube together but decided to try something different. I like playing Magic with more casual people that wouldn't really be able to draft but who can play the game just fine. With them in mind I created a "Smash'Up" cube (based on the other card game by the same name).

I made up 15 "half decks" of 20 cards each each with a theme (like counterspells, mana acceleration, graveyard manipulation, big creatures, direct damage, etc). You can make a functional play deck by taking any two (or three I suppose) half decks and shuffling them together. Each player goes around the table and selects one half deck; then it reverses and everyone gets to select their second. It's a lot easier for a newbie to pick two themes than attempt drafting individual cards. You don't get the same variety you would out of proper cube drafting but there are over 200 possible deck combinations with just these 15. The half decks are mono colour for the most part (except one 5 colour one :v:). I used 5 different colours of sleeves so the decks would be easier to separate after a game.

I have yet to test it with my nephews. I have played a few test hands with some smashed up decks and they all seem to work out nicely with some odd combinations.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 7, 2014

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

a dozen swans posted:

Disciple of Bolas and Toshiro Umezawa are cool. Your black aggro section looks kind of weak, maybe some of Thrill-Kill Assassin, Shadow Alley Denizen, Rakdos Cackler, Vampire Lacerator (close to but not exactly like carnophage) could be fun. Virulent Swipe is a really neat combat trick, Tragic Slip rules, Lose Hope is deceptively decent, and Murderous Cut is just sweet.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I don't really play mono-black, the only black deck I have is my UB faerie deck, and the only black creature in there is pack rats.

Also gonna add bump in the night.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A cube-like box that my friend has he calls a "Battle Box". Each player takes one of each basic land and one of each allied-color guild gate and puts them in the command zone. Both players play off the same deck, which is a stack of ~200 non-land cards, and can play one land from the command zone each turn. It's a lot of fun, and I'm thinking of ideas to build my own - such as a battle box with fewer cards, but effects that put things on the top/bottom of the library as well as lots of shuffle effects so the deck keeps recycling itself.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

BJPaskoff posted:

A cube-like box that my friend has he calls a "Battle Box". Each player takes one of each basic land and one of each allied-color guild gate and puts them in the command zone. Both players play off the same deck, which is a stack of ~200 non-land cards, and can play one land from the command zone each turn. It's a lot of fun, and I'm thinking of ideas to build my own - such as a battle box with fewer cards, but effects that put things on the top/bottom of the library as well as lots of shuffle effects so the deck keeps recycling itself.

Ben Stark did a really good primer here which I used to start my own battle box. It's good fun, it's very different to cube in the play experience but much better with 2 and obviously a much faster set-up time.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

BJPaskoff posted:

Is there any reason this might not work with a cube as the Battle Box? Perhaps with the rider that lands have "Exile ~ from your hand: draw a card", so I don't have to pull them out before starting (and increasing the possibility space slightly, as players would have possible access to extra lands if they felt they wanted them). I'm always looking for low player count cube variants, so this is really cool.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Death of Rats posted:

Is there any reason this might not work with a cube as the Battle Box? Perhaps with the rider that lands have "Exile ~ from your hand: draw a card", so I don't have to pull them out before starting (and increasing the possibility space slightly, as players would have possible access to extra lands if they felt they wanted them). I'm always looking for low player count cube variants, so this is really cool.

Card quality really, cubes tend to be about smashing broken cards at each other but that's not the point of a 'battle box'.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Death of Rats posted:

I'm always looking for low player count cube variants, so this is really cool.

Lately, we've taken to Glimpse Drafting. It's a format I settled on after experimenting with several similar player-made alternatives to Winston and Sealed for 2-person cube events. It uses a lot of cards, but you wind up with powerful decks, and archetypes and theaters are equally playable in every draft. A Glimpse Draft works like this:

1. Shuffle the cube and create 9 packs of 15 for each player.
2. Open the first pack and select your card.
3. Before passing to the opponent, take two cards of your choice from the pack and remove them from the draft.
4. Repeat the selection process. Take 1 card, "burn" 2 cards and pass the pack back until all 15 cards from the pack are either picked or burned.
5. Repeat that process for all 9 packs, and you should wind up with a 45 card pool just like any traditional draft.

The decks are awesome and powerful. Mana fixing is important and available, as the "burn" decisions are complicated and interesting. It's been a complete blast, and I recommend trying it out the next time you're playing with just 2 people. It allows the "draft manipulation" cards from Conspiracy to function because it's technically a draft, and it's really thought-provoking and challenging. Plus, you get to pilot a deck with 9 pick 1 quality cards in it, which is sick.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Zoness posted:

Card quality really, cubes tend to be about smashing broken cards at each other but that's not the point of a 'battle box'.

Yeah, I've done this with my cube a couple times and it works well enough when you've got a small, odd number of laid-back people and don't want to make anybody wait to play (we played it so that the lands and mana ramp cards basically didn't exist, and anything that said "destroy target permanent" was errata'd to say "nonland permanent" instead), but it's not really ideal. Most Cubes have too many cards that just count as a near instant-win in this kind of situation - good luck beating whoever draws Sneak Attack. It'll do in a pinch but I'd start thinking about building a dedicated Battle Box if I wanted to play a lot of the format (I do and I have).

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

We can now play sanctioned Cube Drafts as FNM events! Details here:

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/news-10112014-fnm-format-and-regional-ptq-updates/

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

WhiteWolf123 posted:

We can now play sanctioned Cube Drafts as FNM events! Details here:

http://www.gatheringmagic.com/news-10112014-fnm-format-and-regional-ptq-updates/
... As long as you don't use proxies. :unsmith:

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

poo poo... I'm devilishly close to having my cube fully completed. Do collector's edition cards count as proxies or non-sanction..able?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Null1fy posted:

poo poo... I'm devilishly close to having my cube fully completed. Do collector's edition cards count as proxies or non-sanction..able?

Collector's edition copies are not sanctioned material.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
They're not tournament legal so I'd guess no, but I seriously doubt anyone is going to care about whether all the cards in your Cube are legit for the purposes of having fun at FNM.

Especially if your store isn't too big like gets >24 people for FNMs big. If your store is bigger than that you'll probably not be doing Cube anyway unless the Owner/TO wants to suffer the headache of working out how to run a fair Cube draft with 3 (or maybe more) pods all drafting from different Cubes.

Really just talk to your store owner and see if they or anyone else cares about Proxies/Collector's Edition cards in the Cube before you actually bring it in for FNM.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

Null1fy posted:

Depends on the judge running the event. I doubt anyone will care for an FNM level event. Especially since it doesn't create an advantage for one player over another, and it's still WotC product. They'll be a lot less likely to allow people to use their custom homemade foil proxy cards than CE/IE cards (and even gold-bordered cards) I'd guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I finished up work on a month long cube project that was built around crated an environment where the shard/wedge charms are actually worth prioritizing. I feel ok making a crosspost to a different forum because the thread has a poo poo ton of writeup a and example decks:
http://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/charm-cube-shards-wedges.675/#post-26503

Also up at cubetutor if you want a test draft: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/161