Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-jp-extended-maintenance-and-patch-1082014/

Tonight the servers are going down early, 7pm EDT, and in the morning we get the new Vopar area, level 190 mags, and nothing else in particular no siree no horrible outfits or anything like that
:shepface:

As SEGA's first attempt at reducing server lag, they are temporarily disabling Free Partners and Partial search matches in the ARKS search option of the visiphone. So before the servers go down make sure you already have the 60+ "pso-hack" accounts blacklisted because good luck trying to find them when you can't search for them using a partial match.

And don't go accidentally blacklisting me in the process :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
So, bad news: moving appears to have resulted in me getting 107'd. Same ISP, I'm about 2 miles down the road, but I'm assuming this is the error where I can't log in due to being blocked?

Wonder if this maintenance will address that at all.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Doubtful. Best bet is to set up the NolVac proxy and play through that.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Gunner is officially dead.

GM nerf is 0.3, 0.4, 0.5% HP regain on hit and it can only recover 50 HP max per attack. Stylish roll JATK is lovingly nerfed to might as well not exist anymore at 110% boost the max level.

It hurts to see sega keep 'fixing' my former main class like this.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does the special command for glove weapons just give invincibility frames, or does it have another function as well?

Gloves are definitely my second favorite weapon in the game behind sighing and drawing my katana, but defense-wise I feel like I am missing something.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Overlord K posted:

GM nerf is 0.3, 0.4, 0.5% HP regain on hit and it can only recover 50 HP max per attack.

That's..still pretty good though? Gunner does a lot of hits/attacks and is really easy to dodge things with. Also all the PAs got buffed. Now there's more incentive to actually combo attacks instead of 3x Inf. Fire, 3x Elder Rebellion!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Overlord K posted:

GM nerf is 0.3, 0.4, 0.5% HP regain on hit and it can only recover 50 HP max per attack. Stylish roll JATK is lovingly nerfed to might as well not exist anymore at 110% boost the max level.

However, they did buff the power of all TMG PAs, which I'd assume is significant enough to make up for S-roll. At least I hope.

Can't say I'm too sad to see S-roll nurfed hard, it made Gunner incredibly boring to play, in my opinion.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does the special command for glove weapons just give invincibility frames, or does it have another function as well?

Gloves are definitely my second favorite weapon in the game behind sighing and drawing my katana, but defense-wise I feel like I am missing something.

I use it to keep gear up. Jump in the air, spam shift->attack->shift->attack inbetween your PAs to regain PP fast and still do damage constantly. The jumping part is mostly for bosses though, it works well enough on the ground too. It's pretty precise as a dodge, so it's far safer to use step if you're not confident in the timing.

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's..still pretty good though? Gunner does a lot of hits/attacks and is really easy to dodge things with. Also all the PAs got buffed. Now there's more incentive to actually combo attacks instead of 3x Inf. Fire, 3x Elder Rebellion!

I guess I'll have to actually use it to see just how big a dip it is, but it seems like such a huge one. I just don't get the need to put a HP recovery cap at 50 and lower the percentage that much.

Are there any numbers dug up on the PA boosts? I haven't seen any yet so I'm admittedly mourning in advance.

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
No numbers, just that all the PAs got increased damage and Aerial Shooting and Reverse Tap had adjusted charge times and attack animations, respectively.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is this as fun as the first PSO?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RC Cola posted:

Is this as fun as the first PSO?
More. It's the same structure but you can jump and dodge and roll and air combo and stuff, and it all feels so right.

edit: there are invincibility frames everywhere and you can cancel any attack into dodges and jumps so you can gleefully dance around enemies while stabbing them once you get it down.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 8, 2014

Captain Keene
Dec 20, 2012
Is anyone else having server timeout issues? I can't even get past the ship selection screen.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Mewnie posted:

No numbers, just that all the PAs got increased damage and Aerial Shooting and Reverse Tap had adjusted charge times and attack animations, respectively.

Everything but Infinite Fire got at least a 30% damage buff.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3196321&postcount=67

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Captain Keene posted:

Is anyone else having server timeout issues? I can't even get past the ship selection screen.

Something's up with nolvac. I attempted to contact next but I've yet to get a response from him.

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

Overlord K posted:

Guld Milla has been horrendously broken for the longest time, though. It also encouraged terrible play since you could just tank everything with on-demand super armour from Infinity Fire and still come out on top since you'd just absorb all your health back in a few seconds. Gunners also had no incentive to ever chain PAs together, due to S-Roll JA giving such huge bonuses. Now that they've buffed up alternatives like Showtime+High Time and Chain Trigger+Twice Chain+Chain F Bonus, playing Gunner is way more fun since there are other things to think about besides S-Roll -> PA for every single situation.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
NolVac's fixed now, just needed to update the RSA key so SEGA would accept people connecting through NolVac.

Gunner in general might be fine now, but the real victim here is Gu/Fo.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
The Guld Milla nerf seems kind of sad given how iconic of a weapon it is. Though given how quickly it was released in this game's lifespan it became too common to remain that powerful.

Guld Milla+ as a 14* or some other lazy reskin might show up later on in the former glory along with Eternal Psychodrive or something. :v:

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Overlord K posted:

Stylish roll JATK is lovingly nerfed to might as well not exist anymore at 110% boost the max level.

Hahahaha good riddance stylish roll. 9 free skill points for me.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 8, 2014

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Facility is the best, the good trailer music is the field battle music and I like smashing crab men so hard that they turn into crabs.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Only thing I don't like about the facility is the fact that the bosses are huge chumps

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like how there's so many old bird darkers in the free field spawns.

Fighting 3 Bal Rodos in a row was cool.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

AndyAML posted:

Guld Milla has been horrendously broken for the longest time, though. It also encouraged terrible play since you could just tank everything with on-demand super armour from Infinity Fire and still come out on top since you'd just absorb all your health back in a few seconds. Gunners also had no incentive to ever chain PAs together, due to S-Roll JA giving such huge bonuses. Now that they've buffed up alternatives like Showtime+High Time and Chain Trigger+Twice Chain+Chain F Bonus, playing Gunner is way more fun since there are other things to think about besides S-Roll -> PA for every single situation.

I haven't used IF since the first S-Roll nerf, I've been using Shift Period for quick HP regen. :ssh:

Still, played a bit right after the patch and while GU can still melt bosses with chain, 30% damage to (almost) all PAs really doesn't feel like it balances out GU losing the big bonus skill it had going for it. GU is very likely the weakest class right now.

I am glad they're trying to edge off people from using flip constantly, mind you. Just they're not doing a very balanced job of it from what I played this morning. More forcing everyone to. And watching the piddly numbers for HP regen for GM was really depressing since they're my fire TMGs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is anyone having trouble getting the ship list? I use pingzapper and I am right now. I tried a few different tunnel servers, no dice. Did the update make that method not work anymore?

edit: it's not saying "undergoing maintenance" for all the ships like it does if I try it without the tunnel, it just never load their information in the first place.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 9, 2014

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
To Gun Fu Thanks for Everything, Julie Gumarl
It seems like they missed the opportunity to support the kind of playstyle they want to see for Gunners with skills that reward it. A main class only skill that gives 10% damage when you combo different PAs or one that gives 10% for ranged damage only while you're in the air are both totally doable based on the current mechanics. S-Roll JA Up was terribly overpowered and badly designed, but it at least gave some kind of gameplay hook that wasn't totally passive
or a long CD active skill. There's really no reason to try to pull off cool looking gun combos.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, never mind, I guess it was a local problem on my end.

Anyway, the game gave me all the title awards again for some reason, that's a shitload of grinders and boost items and stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah they realised that 90% of the title rewards were pure rear end (three grinders :wow:) so they redid them all and reset the reward taking bit for everyone.

e: Come to think of it, isn't the combo thing essentially what Tech Arts JA does?

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 9, 2014

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Protocol 5 posted:

To Gun Fu Thanks for Everything, Julie Gumarl
It seems like they missed the opportunity to support the kind of playstyle they want to see for Gunners with skills that reward it. A main class only skill that gives 10% damage when you combo different PAs or one that gives 10% for ranged damage only while you're in the air are both totally doable based on the current mechanics. S-Roll JA Up was terribly overpowered and badly designed, but it at least gave some kind of gameplay hook that wasn't totally passive
or a long CD active skill. There's really no reason to try to pull off cool looking gun combos.

Funny you say that because SRoll punishes you for doing combos. With the bonus you're only S-Rolling and using your first PA, forever. But yeah, they should have at least scrapped the skill if they were going to nerf this one so bad.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
If S.Roll JA is supposed to accomplish anything, it would be to help make-up the DPS loss you take for being stuck flipping around in slow motion. The issue here is that I.Fire and maybe Messiah Time had a long duration, so in theory you would minimize the DPS impact from flipping and maximize the damage bonus from S.Roll JA by using a long PA.

And yeah, you would run Gu/Fi for Tech Arts or Gu/Bo for Shifta Air Attack :v:

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

One thing I'd love to see is S-Roll JA Bonus getting its old damage boost back, but only if you dodge an attack during your S-roll. This prevents it from being a mindless "press button, get double damage" thing while keeping in line with the Gunner's skills that reward you for taking risks and avoiding damage such as High Time, TMG Gear, and Perfect Keeper.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I would like a similar skill to tack onto hunter's Just Counter, but I would be wary of giving hunter even more damage bonuses...

They also really need to rework Guard Stance; you take the damage cost of "not being in Fury Stance" for the benefit of boosting your resistance to one type of damage. :geno: 'game's been making sure all damage types are represented anymore, so focusing purely on strike - resist is shooting yourself in the foot, and will leave you feeling burned. They really should have had war cry and war brave built into the stance than be their own thing. Maybe even iron will and never give up too. But at the end of the day, they still need fury to come out on top... :shrug:

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

The biggest thing about Guard Stance vs. Fury Stance is that Guard Stance is completely obsoleted with enough player skill. Once you're able to step dodge/Just Guard most attacks, getting four separate damage multipliers out of the Fury skills is far more useful. If they want to make Guard Stance on par with Fury Stance, they should do something like a "berserker rage" deal where taking hits or Just Guarding makes your attacks stronger.

This would add value to the other damage-reduction skills since you'd be building up your damage while minimizing incoming damage, and it would also make tanking hits a viable strategy instead of something you want to avoid. I'd love to see the super armor effect of Massive Hunter get rolled into Guard Stance, since that would give Guard Stance a unique effect that Fury Stance can't replicate.

Of course, something tells me that another big Hunter rebalance isn't a huge priority for them after they just did one so recently.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo the new Assault Rifle Potential:

While loaded with special shells, I reduce the PP consumption. ( 25% )

Not only it's stronger than the 10SP skill, it stacks for a 45% PP usage reduction when loading special bullets. I want one! Yay for good latents!

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

nerdz posted:

Holy poo poo the new Assault Rifle Potential:

While loaded with special shells, I reduce the PP consumption. ( 25% )

Not only it's stronger than the 10SP skill, it stacks for a 45% PP usage reduction when loading special bullets. I want one! Yay for good latents!

it's been on this launcher since EP3 launch :ssh: (and is is hilarious as Ra/Fo)

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I just noticed. Well, now it's on a weapon that actually has decent bullets!

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

nerdz posted:

Yeah, I just noticed. Well, now it's on a weapon that actually has decent bullets!

who needs to use bullets when your Divine Launcher costs 19~20pp

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 9, 2014

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

nerdz posted:

Don't you say poo poo about Jellen Shot, nerdz!!

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

nerdz posted:

Funny you say that because SRoll punishes you for doing combos. With the bonus you're only S-Rolling and using your first PA, forever. But yeah, they should have at least scrapped the skill if they were going to nerf this one so bad.

I guess I phrased it unclearly and should have said there's never really been a reason to do cool gun combos, because I certainly don't think that nerfing/scrapping the skill is a bad idea, only that the class now lacks any kind of gameplay hook that significantly impacts how you play outside of Chain Trigger. Spamming normal attacks is boring as poo poo, even if it does get you a huge damage multiplier when you finally do use a PA with Chain Finish. If you just reworked TMG Gear to build gear when you combo different PAs and grant +damage or -PP cost or whatever it would be more interesting.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The reason to do cool combos is because it's cool and fun.

Also with twice chain and normal attacks with s-roll you can build chain really fast and it's kinda cool, in my opinion.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Protocol 5 posted:

I guess I phrased it unclearly and should have said there's never really been a reason to do cool gun combos, because I certainly don't think that nerfing/scrapping the skill is a bad idea, only that the class now lacks any kind of gameplay hook that significantly impacts how you play outside of Chain Trigger. Spamming normal attacks is boring as poo poo, even if it does get you a huge damage multiplier when you finally do use a PA with Chain Finish. If you just reworked TMG Gear to build gear when you combo different PAs and grant +damage or -PP cost or whatever it would be more interesting.

One thing that could make s-roll work a bit better: Make the attacks done while rolling count to the combo. So you could in theory S-Roll -> Second PA -> S-Roll -> First PA -> S-Roll -> Third PA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

If I was to redesign it, each non-repeat PA would add 1 bar to the gear gauge, up to 3, with the gauge draining faster than Sword gear, and repeating the same PA consecutively zeroes out the gauge. This way you're encouraged to close in and combo a bunch of different PAs without stopping, then back off to regain PP when you run dry. Doing an S-Roll or normal attack wouldn't break the combo counter, but you'd have to keep up the pressure to maintain the bonus, and you wouldn't be able to just spam your most powerful PAs repeatedly. I dunno, maybe that would be to complicated compared to other weapon gears, but I think it fits the concept and gives the player freedom to experiment with their own preferred combos and be rewarded for it mechanically.

• Locked thread