Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sockser posted:

Real generic "as pictured" description with photos that well, no, it's most certainly on me.

But I think taking Grimlock and parting out his loving tail as a separate auction is a super dick move. It's part of the goddamned bot!

Sometimes people have the rest of it but not the tail(or a figure sans gun, or a headmaster sans head) and that's what he's probably banking on, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I just wish 3D printed stuff had smooth surfaces that looked similar to official toys versus the bumpy sandstone texture they generally have. Now I hear you can give 3D printed stuff an acetone vapor bath to smooth them out, but that's not the easiest or safest thing in the world.

Obviously this has no bearing on the services that Shapeways provides, but if you're looking at making stuff on your own, an SLA printer (like Form1) will get you a very smooth finish.
The parts are formed differently than a filament printer, so you don't get the "layered" look. It's what we use when we need higher quality prototype parts.
But... there are limited color choices, and it's going to cost a little more than something like a Makerbot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well at least sockser is not missing much without that tail.

Looks stupid as a weapon so the figure is displayable in bot mode without it, can't turn into a t rex but really not much of a t rex anyway.

In terms of grimlock quality he is below rid grimlock and energon grimlock - as silly looking as they were at least they had articulation and some combining features.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Obviously this has no bearing on the services that Shapeways provides, but if you're looking at making stuff on your own, an SLA printer (like Form1) will get you a very smooth finish.
The parts are formed differently than a filament printer, so you don't get the "layered" look. It's what we use when we need higher quality prototype parts.
But... there are limited color choices, and it's going to cost a little more than something like a Makerbot.

Does shapeways smooth them out now? Because I got some shapeways parts way back when and I wasn't happy with the rough sandy texture and how fragile the pieces felt.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Having sold Makerbots to customers, I would hope NOBODY is using those printers.

gently caress Makerbot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Trailer for rid is up on tfw2005 and elsewhere.

All those people who back in the day kept posting the promo picture to animated and yelling about how their childhood had been raped (there were so, so many...) are going to be crying themselves to sleep at night. The decepticons include a shark with eyestalks, a dog, and a wolfman (and in shillouette one of them had literal antlers). It will not be the grim and serious show we know the original g1 cartoon to be. Probably people who were so imfuriated by tf prime that breathing the title drew them into a donald duck tantrum will not be satisfied either, the dialog carries a similar tone.

But I think I'll like it. At the very least it looks like it's trying something new and not just rehashing things from previous series. Either it will be 20 more minutes a week of entertainment or ignorable, and still better than the unicron trilogy.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Rita Repulsa posted:

All those people who back in the day kept posting the promo picture to animated and yelling about how their childhood had been raped (there were so, so many...) are going to be crying themselves to sleep at night. The decepticons include a shark with eyestalks, a dog, and a wolfman (and in shillouette one of them had literal antlers). It will not be the grim and serious show we know the original g1 cartoon to be. Probably people who were so imfuriated by tf prime that breathing the title drew them into a donald duck tantrum will not be satisfied either, the dialog carries a similar tone.

But I think I'll like it. At the very least it looks like it's trying something new and not just rehashing things from previous series. Either it will be 20 more minutes a week of entertainment or ignorable, and still better than the unicron trilogy.

It's colorful (which I like), it seems to be trying to use the "robots in disguise" conceit for once (which I like), and they made the lady autobot a bulky off-road truck instead of a motorbike or sports car (which I really like). I might have to actually check this out when it drops.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And it appears we are getting another Grimlock from the show. As well as some robots with weird alt modes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't like Bumblebee as a big buff dude, but I guess he's been one for a while. Also I don't like that one dude having metal anime hair.

I think it's neat though that they're basically using the IDW twist on Bumblebee's character, putting him in a leadership role that he's not ready for. It makes sense, seeing as how Optimus is a less interesting character to follow since he's got all his ducks in a row.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The premise of the show seems interesting and it should be a breath of fresh air. Bumblebee in the Rodimus role, the truck girl, Grimlock, some crazy far out Decepticon designs and robots actually having to disguise themselves seems promising.

That said I don't really care for the look of the show - it looks like the animation is going at 15 fps. It looks... kinda cheap and bad. I hope they make up for it with more environments and characters but I don't really know if that's how it actually works.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
A little bit behind as always, but I got MP Wheeljack and holy o'gently caress he's chunky compared to the other Autobot cars. Like, not fat, I mean he feels like he's made out of chunks. Except for his wings, which wtf Takara, translucent?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

The premise of the show seems interesting and it should be a breath of fresh air. Bumblebee in the Rodimus role, the truck girl, Grimlock, some crazy far out Decepticon designs and robots actually having to disguise themselves seems promising.

That said I don't really care for the look of the show - it looks like the animation is going at 15 fps. It looks... kinda cheap and bad. I hope they make up for it with more environments and characters but I don't really know if that's how it actually works.
The animation does look kinda jerky, hopefully that's because it's test footage. I still don't really like the excessively-smooth and kiddy look of Prime and Animated though, I probably won't have much interest in the toy line. It's interesting too that Grimlock looks to be straight-up a Godzilla now, down to the green color and trademark roar.

Phy posted:

A little bit behind as always, but I got MP Wheeljack and holy o'gently caress he's chunky compared to the other Autobot cars. Like, not fat, I mean he feels like he's made out of chunks. Except for his wings, which wtf Takara, translucent?
G1 Wheeljack's wings were translucent, what else should they be?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Knormal posted:

The animation does look kinda jerky, hopefully that's because it's test footage. I still don't really like the excessively-smooth and kiddy look of Prime and Animated though, I probably won't have much interest in the toy line. It's interesting too that Grimlock looks to be straight-up a Godzilla now, down to the green color and trademark roar.

G1 Wheeljack's wings were translucent, what else should they be?

Classic's are painted silver. They're probably fresher in memory for those without the original toy.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah, if I had a Wheeljack as a kid I don't remember it. I do remember a well worn Ironhide and two Optimuses, so. But I'm more fretting about stressing the trans plastic than I'm griping about the wings not being silver.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Early trip report - Quantron:

This guy came in Monday and I've only had time to take his individual parts into their alt modes. I am a pretty slow 1st-time transformer (transformerizer? Transformerator?), doubly so when it comes to third party stuff because I like to learn all their quirks as I'm going along. So, that in mind, I played with them tonight for a good three hours and squeaked in just one alt-mode transformation for all of them.

Not-scattershot: what a loving hunk of toy this guy is. As tall as Hegemon in vehicle mode. He's lovely and, being the biggest, also the least fiddly. I worried initially about his hip joints, but nobody else seems to be complaining so I got over it.

Not-Afterburner: Just lovely. The leg and foot transformation has this weird, terrifying portion where it makes you feel like you're about to break the toy though (or, maybe I was about to break the toy. Very orange. Love the look of him. His head sculpt was a little weak on first viewing.

Not-Strafe: The most straightforward of them outside of not- Scattershot, perhaps even more so. Even so, he looks ace as gently caress and his wings are just entirely light piping. Has a very Metalhawkish vibe, to me.

Not-Lightspeed: I don't know, he's a future car. Red. Arm transformation took a while to figure out but it's neat once you work it. He's sort of just "there" for me, right now. I was looking forward to him the least in the first place, though, so...?

Not-Nosecone: Holy. loving. poo poo. I was looking forward to him the most; it is silly but I love brown robots. Anyway his transformation is just hosed and god help me I do love him more for it. Doctor What and any other fans of fiddliness, this whole set is for you, I think, but Sonicron in particular. He just loving explodes and none of it makes sense. It's wonderful.

I don't have any other MakeToys stuff outside of Paladin. The plastic feels good; everyone has a nice heft to them. I loving love FP Diesel and their not-Menasor; I know this will turn some of you off but so far this reminds me a lot of that set. My initial impressions are better, though; none of the tabs seem so goddamn tight that I have to bust my fingers to clear them. Looking forward to combining them tomorrow!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rita Repulsa posted:

So it's a sequel to Prime, but I'm assuming many years later since Cybertron is all busy and populated now? But Earth doesn't appear to have moved on any..

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
It's extremely rare for me to go to the trouble of paying extra for the Takara version over the generally cheaper and more readily available Hasbro version, but goddamn does Takara's Windblade look good:

EDIT: On the flipside, their Arcee has a really goofy smile:

3 fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Oct 8, 2014

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Is truckgirl Smallfoot?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
kind of waiting for it to be Arcee or Windblade just for the "what?" reactions,

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
They've already said her name is Strongarm.

Each cast member is a direct contrast to one of Prime's. Bee is green as a leader unlike seasoned veteran Prime, Fixit is the medic but he's tiny and hyperactive as opposed to crusty Ratchet, Strongarm is the muscle but unlike Bulkhead's "Wrecker Style" she's apparently an officious Elite Guard cadet, and Sideswipe is a spiky haired rule breaking douche as opposed to Arcee's... everything.

Also instead of hundreds of identical clones that are organized and fall in line under one tyrannical leader the decepticons are the result of someone letting loose an entire zoo.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 8, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I expect lots of 'Sideswipe, I need you to learn to follow orders and work as part of a team, not go off on your own. I'm new at this but you have to follow the chain of command.' type moments.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I like Sideswipe so I heartily support his status in this cartoon as both a) the reckless one and b) a dickhead

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Hey, if bumblebee loving talks it already has my vote.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So what are we acronyming this series as? I've been calling it RID2015 to differentiate from the comic series, but since it's a sequel to TFP, maybe TFPRID?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

The_Doctor posted:

So it's a sequel to Prime, but I'm assuming many years later since Cybertron is all busy and populated now? But Earth doesn't appear to have moved on any..

I was under the impression that I would be (forbidden from) attempting landings on Europa or at least have a jetpack at this point, you know? I feel cheated.

No reason for Cybertronians to give us warlike apes their tech... and that video is just a quick sizzle reel, no way to see how futuristic things have gotten from a couple minutes of character-focused sizzle.

---

On to new show character chat.

Sideswipe is a good choice for Not Rod 3.0. Good choice.

My nieces, who hate pink cars but love Transformers will be thrilled with Strongarm.

Fixit is dumb, like that scooter Go-Bot. No.

Who leads the Decepticon convicts? There's got to be a ringleader. There's always a ringleader.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I got Jetfire last night.

Jetfire is badass. Totally in love with the dude.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Who leads the Decepticon convicts? There's got to be a ringleader. There's always a ringleader.

If you can trust a chinese ebay seller selling prototype toys, the ringleader is the furry in the trailer and is called Galvatron.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

So what are we acronyming this series as? I've been calling it RID2015 to differentiate from the comic series, but since it's a sequel to TFP, maybe TFPRID?

But there's already a toyline called PRID...

Jeez, Hasbro needs to stop calling things RID. This is seriously getting confusing. Do you mean Firetruck Prime vs. the Predacons, the comic with Bumblebee on Cybertron, the Prime toyline or the new cartoon\toyline?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Blackheart posted:

Hey, if bumblebee loving talks it already has my vote.

Amen, buddy, amen. Goddamn am I sick of mute robot characters. Bee's muteness even infected Soundwave. :I

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Soundwave talking in other people's recorded soundbites was p.cool though

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I wouldn't want him acting like that in every series, but I think that was pretty cool take on Soundwave.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

sideswipe does not have a shoulder cannon and that is extremely loving lame

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Does he have a rocket pack?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

ForeverSmug posted:

sideswipe does not have a shoulder cannon and that is extremely loving lame

despite fixing my KO MP Sideswipe's tummy-clip problem, his gun and shoulder cannon are both really loose and so don't actually stay in in robot mode :saddowns:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

It's taken us like 7 years for Bumblebee to get his voice back. Thank God. Mute characters are better off as creepy slasher villains like Jason Vorhees or Michael Myers. Well, Snake Eyes is mute too, but he's pretty much just a slasher villain who happens to be on the side of the good guys.

Although come to think of it, movie Bumblebee is kind of a psychotic murderer too, he just pretends to be a cute friendly R2-D2 before he rips out your spine.

While it's cool to have 'Bee as the inexperienced leader and I dig the designs of Grimlock and Strongarm, I have a feeling that Sideswipe and Fixit and going to get on my nerves. And uhhhh... Galvatron's a furry now?

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

despite fixing my KO MP Sideswipe's tummy-clip problem, his gun and shoulder cannon are both really loose and so don't actually stay in in robot mode :saddowns:

KO sideswipe was so bad I had to buy a real one at twice the price so I ended up paying 3x the actual price.

And the gun on the real one still doesn't even stay in his hand

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just found a music CD I made in 2004. This was the first track on it. I forgot how great this song is :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhnKIVLzOw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Just found a music CD I made in 2004. This was the first track on it. I forgot how great this song is :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhnKIVLzOw

It's the best TF theme and I'll fight anyone who says different. :allears:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

It's the best TF theme and I'll fight anyone who says different. :allears:

I'll stand with you, my brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gammatron 64 posted:

I just wish 3D printed stuff had smooth surfaces that looked similar to official toys versus the bumpy sandstone texture they generally have. Now I hear you can give 3D printed stuff an acetone vapor bath to smooth them out, but that's not the easiest or safest thing in the world.

The newer 3d printers are already supposed to be fixing that. I've been holding off getting one because they keep promising the models will come out silky smooth. But yeah that hasn't happened yet, some are toying with plastic vats and stuff to try and take the slow line by line method away.

The problem is that all hobby 3D printers were based off of pastry machines. The little nozzle was originally supposed to decorate cakes with frosting but they re-purposed it for distributing lines of melted plastic.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 8, 2014