Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

MissMarple posted:

I made an Asphalt Overdrive gang called Goonsquad. Join it. Don't. I think you get more stuff this way.

Lemme in plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Alright, I think I'll check out:
  • Final Fantasy V
  • DQ8
  • DQ3
  • Final Fantasy VI

Starting with FF VI

I've already played FFT and Chrono Trigger but thanks for the recommendations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
While you wait for DQ3, DQ4 is already out in America and it's also a fantastic game (and probably a bit more accessible). A lot of people hold it as the best in the series along with 5.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
asphalt overdrive goons: any tips for beating the first boss? I have a fully maxed out Mustang and even with full nitro and great/near perfect racing he nudges me for a instant fail. :( I've done it dozens of times now...

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Feenix posted:

asphalt overdrive goons: any tips for beating the first boss? I have a fully maxed out Mustang and even with full nitro and great/near perfect racing he nudges me for a instant fail. :( I've done it dozens of times now...

Just throw $9.99 at it for 500 Smoky Gems.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Doc Block posted:

Lemme in plz
Incidentally I apologise to everyone who has to wait for me to answer. I churned out of AO when it became obvious it didn't care how good I was and was just a progression grind where number of play sessions was the only limiting factor. It doesn't send me Push Notifications when people request to join and I can't pass on Leader status to anyone else. I don't think the Gangs thing was well thought through.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

MissMarple posted:

Incidentally I apologise to everyone who has to wait for me to answer. I churned out of AO when it became obvious it didn't care how good I was and was just a progression grind where number of play sessions was the only limiting factor. It doesn't send me Push Notifications when people request to join and I can't pass on Leader status to anyone else. I don't think the Gangs thing was well thought through.

It's funny, I went to join and was somehow already in. There was no GoonSquad back when the game went live but I searched for it. Somehow I must have either made it or joined it preemptively or I don't know what... :)

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003
Costume Quest is my favourite "J"RPG. iOS port is pretty darn good.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Bit early since it's still review, but TA just did a lil' article about the game I've been working on recently, #SUPERHYPER.

It's a lane-based, minimalist twitch action game and I'm reaaaaaally happy with how it came together.

(gif from early development)

I'll drop some codes up in here once it's approved!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ogreboy posted:

Is there a speed up animations in battle button?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

the chaos engine posted:

Bit early since it's still review, but TA just did a lil' article about the game I've been working on recently, #SUPERHYPER.

It's a lane-based, minimalist twitch action game and I'm reaaaaaally happy with how it came together.

(gif from early development)

I'll drop some codes up in here once it's approved!
Why is there a picture of a cat in that gif?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tekopo posted:

Why is there a picture of a cat in that gif?

Not even a hummingbird could catch Tyler at work.

gyger
Feb 19, 2010
The Room and The Room 2 are on sale for 1 dollar each. The first game reminds me of Myst.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

ogreboy posted:

Be aware that there isn't a restore purchase option for the extra content on it (at least when I last had it in my device).
Great for buying, uninstalling, then buying again.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sad lions posted:

Be aware that there isn't a restore purchase option for the extra content on it (at least when I last had it in my device).

Huh I thought apple threatened to remove any game without that button.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Sad lions posted:

It doesn't charge you a second time if you go through the buy process again, does it?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

The rear end Stooge posted:

It doesn't charge you a second time if you go through the buy process again, does it?

Didn't want to chance it, though I do know Republique did that to me in spite of claims it wouldn't so it's not impossible.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I would like to congratulate Halfbrick on breaking Fruit Ninja with their latest update so that it will no longer run on my iPod Touch 4.

I've become used to my iPod being unable to run newer games and apps, but putting a 2010 title out of reach is a bit much. Goddamn, there had better be an iPod Touch 6 and it had better not be as gimped as I fear it'll be.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

101 posted:

• Final Fantasy V
  • DQ8
  • DQ3
  • Final Fantasy VI

Starting with FF VI

FFIII and IV are actually quite good in the iPhone, but look kind of crappy when scaled up to the larger screen on the ipad.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
And CT is one of the worst ports I've ever seen so yeah, dodged a bullet there

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

101 posted:

• Final Fantasy V
  • DQ8
  • DQ3
  • Final Fantasy VI

Starting with FF VI

The iPad version of FFT is gorgeous, runs like a dream (lacking the old lagging), and has all the extra content from the PSP version, if that affects anything.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I don't know if anyone's still playing Plundernauts but the latest update - the one that added PVP - is bad. In the patch notes, they said they "tuned" damage/ship hp values for balance - by which I mean they pretty much nerfed player ships 50% across the board, hp and dps both - and seem to have done gently caress-all to the enemies, so it's a pretty rude nerf.

so don't update. Or just delete it. Grossly misleading patch notes are the worst.

also the mandatory PVP is poo poo, because you can lose money without doing anything since your ships 'fight' for you while you're away. And the only way to get out of it is to buy a temporary "cloak" - which, of course, costs premium IAP currency instead of the regular currency. gently caress that, too.

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 8, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Are the Baldur's Gate ports to iOS any good?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Levitate posted:

Are the Baldur's Gate ports to iOS any good?

2 never quite corrected that issue with the invincible illusion death wolves in an early optional area but otherwise the quality of the game is solid.
1 is still getting support (big update including making it universal came not so long ago) so I wouldn't be too surprised if any and all problems get ironed out eventually.

That said, I am so poo poo at the only one I've played (2) and can't really get too far.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Quick question about Battle Cats that I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to: in battle cats I'm completely maxed out on all the things I can spend experience on (which did not take that long at all really), however when I upgrade something using something from the daily capsule machine, it goes above the mac level and lets me level it up to a new max level. If this actually letting me double the goodness of my units or is it just a bug letting me go above the level I'm supposed to stop at?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
My wife bought me an iPad Air today, it's replacing a 2.

What games will get the best out of the increased cpu speed and the better screen? I'm open to all suggestions.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

axleblaze posted:

Quick question about Battle Cats that I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer to: in battle cats I'm completely maxed out on all the things I can spend experience on (which did not take that long at all really), however when I upgrade something using something from the daily capsule machine, it goes above the mac level and lets me level it up to a new max level. If this actually letting me double the goodness of my units or is it just a bug letting me go above the level I'm supposed to stop at?

Going off of Battle Cats, your units can level up to 10 in the base game, but once you beat the regular campaign, they can level up to 20. The Battle Cats may be different / bugged, tho.

Also, Spymaster is okay, but you could just spend 5bux for a more-than-passable Counterspy port.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Wow Dragon Quest 2 is out tonight. It was only a few weeks that one came out.

Loving how quickly they're releasing these.

I really enjoyed IV. The characters are just so charming. I can't imagine playing that game without the party chat though. It added so much to it.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

axleblaze posted:

It has a real impact, but you should actually save those. Once you clear World 2 the level cap is raised to 20 for all of your upgrades. Then, once you get to 20 and apply the Capsule bonus, it gives it a +1 that as far as I know you cannot get in any other way. I'm not sure if that provides an immediate bonus but according to the in game text once you get to +10 you'll get another evolution.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Dream Quest updated. I don't know where to go for full patch notes, but one thing I noticed right off the bat is that the Professor's card steal ability has a three-fight cooldown instead of just one. Granted I only found myself wanting to use it every three fights because who needs more attack cards, but now you have to plan out fights. The reveal all monsters talent is now the best one on the first level if you're playing as the Professor.

Also there's three new difficulty levels, with the original difficulty being the hardest. The game feels much less "gently caress you, now you lose" now at the new default difficulty; however, it probably needs some rebalancing, because I was level 9 by the end of the second level.

I can't stop playing this stupid game. It makes train rides go fast at least.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sad lions posted:

The iPad version of FFT is gorgeous, runs like a dream (lacking the old lagging), and has all the extra content from the PSP version, if that affects anything.

It's not like I'm adverse to playing it again. That game is fantastic. I played it on DS a few years ago. Does it have content that one didn't have?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

BJPaskoff posted:

Dream Quest updated. I don't know where to go for full patch notes, but one thing I noticed right off the bat is that the Professor's card steal ability has a three-fight cooldown instead of just one. Granted I only found myself wanting to use it every three fights because who needs more attack cards, but now you have to plan out fights. The reveal all monsters talent is now the best one on the first level if you're playing as the Professor.

Also there's three new difficulty levels, with the original difficulty being the hardest. The game feels much less "gently caress you, now you lose" now at the new default difficulty; however, it probably needs some rebalancing, because I was level 9 by the end of the second level.

I can't stop playing this stupid game. It makes train rides go fast at least.

whoa! I just bought this yesterday and haven't stopped playing it, nice. was about to pop in the thread and see if it was still being supported with updates

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

FFT is not the DS iteration, it's the old PSX/PSP version.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

101 posted:

It's not like I'm adverse to playing it again. That game is fantastic. I played it on DS a few years ago. Does it have content that one didn't have?

If you're referring to FFTA or FFTA-2 those are completely different (as in reimaginings at best) from the one on psx and psp.
So yeah, if the FFT you played was on DS then you have a whole lot of new content ahead of you.
The story is a lot more serious in tone than those ones and most other FF games (it'd same people that did FF12 and Vagrant Story, I believe) and the difficulty is pretty drat steep in places but can be broken over your knee if you play with the right tricks and imaginative tactics.
It's pretty drat solid.

Edit: Does anyone know if they kept the multiplayer missions from the PSP version around in some form or did they cut those? I never got to try them the first time around and I know they were the only way to get the onion knight gear.

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 8, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

theblackw0lf posted:

Wow Dragon Quest 2 is out tonight. It was only a few weeks that one came out.

Loving how quickly they're releasing these.

I really enjoyed IV. The characters are just so charming. I can't imagine playing that game without the party chat though. It added so much to it.

Is the iOS DQ2 rebalanced at all? It felt so bad even compared to the first game, and that was before you reached Rhone, the Land of Defeat and Sacrifice Spamming Assholes.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

monkeytennis posted:

What games will get the best out of the increased cpu speed and the better screen? I'm open to all suggestions.

Return it and wait for the new iPads to get announced next week. Either you'll like the new ones and get those or the old ones will be discounted.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Find all your fellow goons with Dragon Poker in TTV on this list (which is still being kept up-to-date): TTV Goon Friend Codes

Note: cannot be edited via mobile browsers. Try using the Google Sheets app.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Sad lions posted:

If you're referring to FFTA or FFTA-2 those are completely different (as in reimaginings at best) from the one on psx and psp.
So yeah, if the FFT you played was on DS then you have a whole lot of new content ahead of you.
The story is a lot more serious in tone than those ones and most other FF games (it'd same people that did FF12 and Vagrant Story, I believe) and the difficulty is pretty drat steep in places but can be broken over your knee if you play with the right tricks and imaginative tactics.
It's pretty drat solid.

Edit: Does anyone know if they kept the multiplayer missions from the PSP version around in some form or did they cut those? I never got to try them the first time around and I know they were the only way to get the onion knight gear.

The multiplayer missions were removed. I believe you can get that stuff in the post game dungeon. But gently caress who wants to use onion knights and black knights anyways? You need to grind forever before you can use them.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Shwqa posted:

The multiplayer missions were removed. I believe you can get that stuff in the post game dungeon. But gently caress who wants to use onion knights and black knights anyways? You need to grind forever before you can use them.

I'm one of those people who gets sad when I gently caress up those treasure hunter spots even though it's stupidly unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

monkeytennis posted:

The best suggestion is to return it and buy an Air 2 or whatever it'll be called in two weeks when they come out. Same price, and it'll be much much better.