Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Xabi posted:

Incidentally what most people use their ipad for.

For some strange reason they probably won't stuff more ram in it this year either, though.

And switching apps. Try going from Safari to anything that is somewhat image heavy (a game, tumblr, Photoshop) and you'll soon realize how much better 2gb of ram would be.

I'd gladly give up 10% of the battery if it meant reliable app switching...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Diabolik900 posted:

That's how I read it.

Yeah, the iPod line needs an update too. The Shuffle would probably be fine as-is, but the Nano needs a UI refresh and the Touch needs a 128GB model to replace the now-discontinued Classic. Apple TV additionally needs an upgrade to stay competitive against devices like the Chromecast.

I would imagine the Mac refreshes to be in early 2015; there's almost no point in releasing new iMacs or even the Mac Mini with Broadwell expected by the end of the year.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

TinTower posted:

Yeah, the iPod line needs an update too. The Shuffle would probably be fine as-is, but the Nano needs a UI refresh and the Touch needs a 128GB model to replace the now-discontinued Classic. Apple TV additionally needs an upgrade to stay competitive against devices like the Chromecast.

I would imagine the Mac refreshes to be in early 2015; there's almost no point in releasing new iMacs or even the Mac Mini with Broadwell expected by the end of the year.
Well there's the iPod Apple Watch coming :v: (...with some undisclosed amount of on board memory). I've been wanting a more "connected" iPod nano, like wifi sync (and direct iTunes Store/Radio access) and BT for audio, but I don't know if they'll bother updating it like that at this point.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So we were talking about the new Wacom stylii earlier. I went ought and bought a Bamboo Fineline. It's pretty neat little thing, but I'm finding that I'm not really impressed by the levels of "pressure sensitivity" it offers, and the palm rejection is iffy at best. I'm hoping that software updates fix the latter since I'm pretty sure that's just a function of the Wacom software, but if you're looking to draw with the stylus then I'd probably wait for the Creative 2 which offers twice the pressure sensitivity.

Still really good for note taking, but I hope other apps implement the Wacom API ASAP though.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

japtor posted:

Well there's the iPod Apple Watch coming :v: (...with some undisclosed amount of on board memory). I've been wanting a more "connected" iPod nano, like wifi sync (and direct iTunes Store/Radio access) and BT for audio, but I don't know if they'll bother updating it like that at this point.

The Nano already has Bluetooth. Wifi would be contingent on the new Nano implementing WPS, I'd guess.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Martytoof posted:

So we were talking about the new Wacom stylii earlier. I went ought and bought a Bamboo Fineline. It's pretty neat little thing, but I'm finding that I'm not really impressed by the levels of "pressure sensitivity" it offers, and the palm rejection is iffy at best. I'm hoping that software updates fix the latter since I'm pretty sure that's just a function of the Wacom software, but if you're looking to draw with the stylus then I'd probably wait for the Creative 2 which offers twice the pressure sensitivity.

Still really good for note taking, but I hope other apps implement the Wacom API ASAP though.

The only thing that worries me about the Fineline is developers seem to be really quiet on if it's ever going to be implemented outside of note-taking apps, and Wacom themselves straight up ignored an email I sent them asking if the developer tools are the same for both. I'm pretty sure they're trying to gimp it to make you buy the Intuos stylus, and that honestly makes me want to buy neither of them.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Don Tacorleone posted:

I don't know about October, Dalrymple (mr. "Yes" or "Nope" apple dude) said no event in October, and usually some info leaks a month in advance, there's zero ipad rumblings this time. Touch ID is a given, but who knows about the (badly needed imo) 2gb of Ram.

I can live with 1gb on my phone (can't believe I'm typing this, I still remember my blackberry) but the Air really needs 2gb and it could be a great work device, as it is the constant reloading just makes me reach for the laptop.

Apple’s rumored October 21 iPad event
Posted on Wednesday, September 17th, 2014 at 12:41 pm.
Written by Jim Dalrymple
From Reuters:

"Apple Inc (AAPL.O) is set to launch two new iPads and release the next version of its Mac operating system at its next event on Oct. 21, a Daily Dot report said, citing sources familiar with the matter."

Nope.

If the 'iPad Pro' rumors are true and there is a model coming early next year, I'm curious if Apple would hold off the rest of the iPad line refresh until then.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dewgy posted:

The only thing that worries me about the Fineline is developers seem to be really quiet on if it's ever going to be implemented outside of note-taking apps, and Wacom themselves straight up ignored an email I sent them asking if the developer tools are the same for both. I'm pretty sure they're trying to gimp it to make you buy the Intuos stylus, and that honestly makes me want to buy neither of them.

The fineline site actually says that Adobe Sketchbook, Procreate, and support for other apps is coming "soon" so I'm pretty hopeful. All in all I've done far worse for the same amount of dollars.

And as for the SDK, it appears to be global across their Bluetooth LE stylii, according to their developer page:

http://us.wacom.com/en/developerrelations/ios/

So I don't know, it's kind of crappy that they haven't answered you but I think all the info I've found is positive :)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently there's Apple Pay code for iPad in 8.1 so people are speculating that the new iPads will have Touch ID (not beyond the realms of possibility) and NFC (really, guys? :negative:)

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I kind of want to see people paying for stuff by whipping out their iPads now because that would be pretty funny.

Supgaiz
Jun 27, 2011

TinTower posted:

Apparently there's Apple Pay code for iPad in 8.1 so people are speculating that the new iPads will have Touch ID (not beyond the realms of possibility) and NFC (really, guys? :negative:)

Yeah, people seem to be forgetting that ApplePay works with in-app purchases as well, so of course iPads are getting support for it.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I don't see why NFC would be that far out there - isn't that kind of thing built in to the same chip that Bluetooth and wifi is? Also there are other uses for NFC aside from Apple pay.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Supgaiz posted:

Yeah, people seem to be forgetting that ApplePay works with in-app purchases as well, so of course iPads are getting support for it.

Which is why it implies TouchID; the ApplePay code is for IAPs and for orders.

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I don't see why NFC would be that far out there - isn't that kind of thing built in to the same chip that Bluetooth and wifi is? Also there are other uses for NFC aside from Apple pay.

iOS 8's implementation of NFC is limited to Apple Pay.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I wonder if that split screen feature is in 8.1. Sort of expecting it to be.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

TinTower posted:

iOS 8's implementation of NFC is limited to Apple Pay.

For now.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

The Dave posted:

I wonder if that split screen feature is in 8.1. Sort of expecting it to be.

Doubt it. A big new feature like that is something they'll wait for a new iOS version to show off. Probably in iOS9.

Also I really hope they don't wait until the Spring for an iPad refresh. I have no interest in an iPad Pro, and was really looking forward to an upgrade from my iPad 3 in October.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Opening up NFC will probably be a iOS 9 thing. Like how Touch ID was limited to Apple for iOS 7 then opened up for iOS 8.

NFC-enabled Passbook passes might make it into iOS 8.2 (if we're assuming iOS 8.1 is going to turn on the switches for Apple Pay). From the looks of it, Apple are probably wanting to release the new iPads and 8.1 side-by-side, then the Apple Watch, 8.2, and Photos for Mac side-by-side.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 1, 2014

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Is anybody having issues with wifi dropping randomly after updating to 8? Still doing it after updating to 8.0.2 and never had issues on 7. I'm on an iPad mini retina, is there anyway to downgrade without access to a computer?

I came here to ask about this same question. I'm on an iPad air, and my school's wifi is borderline unusable. I get a minute or two of pages loading, then they stop. If I turn off the wifi and turn it back on, I get another few minutes of the wifi working. Should I take it to the Apple store?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Martytoof posted:

The fineline site actually says that Adobe Sketchbook, Procreate, and support for other apps is coming "soon" so I'm pretty hopeful. All in all I've done far worse for the same amount of dollars.

And as for the SDK, it appears to be global across their Bluetooth LE stylii, according to their developer page:

http://us.wacom.com/en/developerrelations/ios/

So I don't know, it's kind of crappy that they haven't answered you but I think all the info I've found is positive :)

Well that's good to hear, thanks!

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

iOS 8 in general is having issues with wifi it seems; there's similar reports in the iPhone thread and my iPod 5th gen always takes time to connect to wifi after being off for a bit.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

My iPad Air is wifi busted and only stays connected for a minute with each restart. Not my iPhone 6 though, and this happens only with my home router which is kinda old.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Xabi posted:

Incidentally what most people use their ipad for.

For some strange reason they probably won't stuff more ram in it this year either, though.

I'm really looking forward to upgrading my iPad 3 to a new Air once it's released, but since I've started using ProCreate all the time, I've finally wished for more RAM. :sigh:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheQuietWilds posted:

I came here to ask about this same question. I'm on an iPad air, and my school's wifi is borderline unusable. I get a minute or two of pages loading, then they stop. If I turn off the wifi and turn it back on, I get another few minutes of the wifi working. Should I take it to the Apple store?

This may be completely useless advice but try changing to google DNS (8.8.8.8, IIRC) as that has improved my iPad connectivity in the past. It's in wireless settings.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm really looking forward to upgrading my iPad 3 to a new Air once it's released, but since I've started using ProCreate all the time, I've finally wished for more RAM. :sigh:

I'm looking forward to upgrading my first gen 64GB iPad that I bought way back when. It still works fine, albeit a bit slow and scratched up, but for nothing but surfing the web, youtube, and minecraft for the kid it still serves its purpose.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Has anybody here had a problem with the sound of videos continuing even after you've closed the tab? Don't know when it started but it happens from time to time and only a hard reset of Safari stops it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is iOS 8 stable yet? My mum has an iPad 4 and I don't want to tell her to upgrade if it's going to cause problems. She doesn't install a lot of new apps or anything, worth waiting?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

baka kaba posted:

Is iOS 8 stable yet? My mum has an iPad 4 and I don't want to tell her to upgrade if it's going to cause problems. She doesn't install a lot of new apps or anything, worth waiting?

Is it broken and unusable? No. Is it flawless and without lots of bugs? No.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well she's not very technical (although she seems to be a lot better after getting this) and I don't think she's even got the hang of swiping away unresponsive apps. I've just heard of safari horrors etc and I'd prefer to avoid making things worse if there's still a bunch of issues to be ironed out

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

baka kaba posted:

Well she's not very technical (although she seems to be a lot better after getting this) and I don't think she's even got the hang of swiping away unresponsive apps. I've just heard of safari horrors etc and I'd prefer to avoid making things worse if there's still a bunch of issues to be ironed out

I'd hold off for now, even though it's a fairly new model. All I know is that iOS 8 took my iPad 2 from "good enough" to nearly unusable.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah I guess I'll leave it until there's a more compelling reason to. Thanks!

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

My 4S has been on the decline for a while, but iOS8 really took it's toll on performance. 6 more days until that sweet, sticky 6+.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
X.0 versions of iOS is almost always bad. Wait for .1 when they fix everything like with iOS 7.

A tomato
Aug 16, 2014

by Ralp

Amber Alert posted:

My 4S has been on the decline for a while, but iOS8 really took it's toll on performance. 6 more days until that sweet, sticky 6+.

The 4S Is A Better Phone In Every Way And You Will Soon Regret Your Purchase

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

A tomato posted:

To each his own, but as someone who went from 4s to 6+, I am beyond happy with it, use it for 95% of daily computing tasks (serious work still done on laptop) and do not miss the 4s at all. I also wear designer skinny (not painted on) jeans and it fits fine.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

A tomato posted:

Why?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What, you don't like massive cases and tiny screens?

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Has anyone done an iPad Mini digitizer replacement? Is it as difficult as the internet is telling me? It looks like the most difficult part is soldering on the old home button and IC chip, but I have moderate soldering experience. I'm just trying to gather whether it's worth it to give it a shot or not.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Xabi posted:

Has anybody here had a problem with the sound of videos continuing even after you've closed the tab? Don't know when it started but it happens from time to time and only a hard reset of Safari stops it.

I've had the same issue from time to time.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Likely new iPads to be announced October 16th among other things (iOS 8.1, new retina iMacs or MacBook Airs)...maybe.

And if you didn't see this pop up, some Vietnamese blog has pictures of supposed iPad Air 2 parts. The only thing to really comment on is the loss of the orientation/mute switch. Slightly thinner too (to 7mm) and a TouchID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Does anyone know of any apps that will allow you to upload pictures from the camera connection kit to an FTP or WebDAV server?