Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

I love that Drink Wine is a nickname. I'm going to remember that one.
Nope, that's his real last name. Trinkwein. My question is just whether or not he picked it himself. (The "Desertion" dude's name is Christoph Reißaus, if you care.)

The two things an infantry muster roll must contain for each common soldier is full name and place of origin. Cav. rolls often just have names. (Often, listings for officers do not contain place of origin, probably because that's designed to make bounty jumping harder, which an officer wouldn't do. Their fraud, of course, is on a larger scale.) After that, they may or may not contain CVs, age, marital status, number of children, civillian occupation, rate of pay, and sometimes nicknames, but none of those seem to be mandatory. And nobody keeps death lists. Thanks a lot, guys. (Statistics is an Enlightenment invention.)

I've read a secondary source on Italy that say that Parman rolls contain physical descriptions but I've never seen any German ones with those, which is too bad.

Edit: It's really funny that German, Bohemian, or Hungarian guys will be listed under their hometowns but guys from elsewhere just get "England" or "France." It gets vaguer and vaguer the further you get from Eastern Germany. Like, even a Dane or a Pole will get his hometown listed but an Englishman just gets "Engellandt." Will your average Saxon even know where that is? I found one dude listed as "Nickolai Tartar from Tartary," which could have been a whole bunch of places. ("Tartar," like the people I run into named Boehme {"Bohemian"}, probably represents a Musterschreiber trying, and failing, to come to grips with a very difficult last name. This is all Zs what do I dooooo)

Edit 2: I wonder if a roll from Elsass or something would list Frenchmen under their hometowns but simply wave imprecisely at Bohemia.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What language did the various Bohemian, German, Hungarian, Italian and Austrian nobles use in their day to day life in the early modern period? How about in the Holy Roman Empire's court? Could the colonels and generals understand what their pikemen said?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

What language did the various Bohemian, German, Hungarian, Italian and Austrian nobles use in their day to day life in the early modern period? How about in the Holy Roman Empire's court? Could the colonels and generals understand what their pikemen said?
I don't know about the nobles because those aren't the dudes whose paperwork I read. But the guys I study speak German in daily life. Officers and men can understand one another just fine, even though colonels and generals aren't going to be sharing a pub with gefreyters and common soldiers like fendriches and gemeinweibels do.

However, while Tilly (a loyalist Dutch) could speak German, he was self-conscious enough about it that he had someone else translate his pre-battle speeches, standing next to him.

I have read one interrogation which took place in Italian and was translated into German for the records. All the Englishmen in this one company where the pike is (for some reason) full of Englishmen give their first names in the German manner and presumably know enough German at least to answer the question "Full name and place of origin?"

The regiment I'm studying right now, which has been somewhere near Milan for the entire winter season, mentions that when people go shopping or whatever they'll take a friend with them specifically "because he can speak the language," so even the guys who have no Italian know people who do. Meanwhile, the Oberst Lieutenant can speak and write in German which is, as far as I can tell, fluent.

The more educated a dude is the more likely he is to sprinkle Latin and French, Italian and Spanish, into his letters. Wallenstein was a Bohemian and his first language was Czech, but he never writes in Czech. (His spelling has a thick Czech accent though.) Robert Munro's memoirs are peppered with German vocabulary words for specific military-related things, like he'll say Morgenstern, Lunt, Lager. Traces of the language he discusses them in.

The Empire's administration probably speaks...Latin? Ask Jauche Charly.

Considering the wide varieties of languages we call "German," though, it's probably difficult for a Saxon to understand a Swiss, for heaven's sake. (In reenactment, our Fendrich is Saxon. He begins the day by yelling at us in Standard German and ends the day yelling at us in Saecsisch. Can't understand a goddamn thing.)

During this reenactment season, I have gotten pretty good at the phrase "SHOW-ME-WHAT-I-NEED-TO-DO," said as slowly and clearly as possible.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 8, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Do we know what the hell Englishmen were doing over there and how they got there? Is it kind of like the French Foreign Legion, where there's a tiny-but-steady (and loud) trickle of people who can't get their fighting-and-drinking jollies anywhere else, and become known as "les fuckings" after their favourite word?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I imagine fighting either for money or simply over religion as the current monarch hates those other guys.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I don't know. I learned in school that nobles would be speaking Italian in the Baroque. The language of culture and art.

In the 18th century it's just French all the way.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

Looks like Blackadder (or Baldrick, at the very least) had some adventures in Germany.

It reminds me of this, actually.

HEY GAL posted:

gefreyters, fendriches, gemeinweibels

Funny to see the roots of our military ranks today. (Fähnrich, Gefreiter, Feldwebel)

What they're doing changed a bit, of course: A "Fähnrich" is one of the higher officer cadet ranks, a "Gefreiter" is second-to-lowest rank of common soldier and a "Feldwebel" still is essentially the same as back then.

HEY GAL posted:

Considering the wide varieties of languages we call "German," though, it's probably difficult for a Saxon to understand a Swiss, for heaven's sake. (In reenactment, our Fendrich is Saxon. He begins the day by yelling at us in Standard German and ends the day yelling at us in Saecsisch. Can't understand a goddamn thing.)

Ah yes good old Sächsisch. My Stepfather tended to rant a lot about how Sächsisch wasn't really part of the German language and how "die Sachsen" should just go back where they came from. I often riled him up by pointing out their ancestors where forcibly relocated to modern-day Sachsen by Charlemagne and actually came from Niedersachsen, where we live. :v:

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Funny quote:

Charles V posted:

I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse.

But why Spanish instead of Latin?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
I don't know about early modern, but by the late 18th century Czech, Hungarian, Slovak, and other Central European languages were in serious decline because they'd been superseded by German in everyday usage by the educated. When nationalism became fashionable a bunch of languages were self-consciously reformed, modernized, and actively promoted by the intelligentsia. Before/during the 1848 revolutions the process accelerated considerably so that by the later part of the 19th century they were standard for elites. Eventually the Hungarians were trying to force Slovaks to learn reformed Hungarian instead of reformed Slovak, and so forth.

HEY GAL posted:

The Empire's administration probably speaks...Latin? Ask Jauche Charly.

Hungary was still using Latin for administrative purposes until 1844.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
How long do medieval battles last? Do people break for lunch?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

EvanSchenck posted:

I don't know about early modern, but by the late 18th century Czech, Hungarian, Slovak, and other Central European languages were in serious decline because they'd been superseded by German in everyday usage by the educated. When nationalism became fashionable a bunch of languages were self-consciously reformed, modernized, and actively promoted by the intelligentsia. Before/during the 1848 revolutions the process accelerated considerably so that by the later part of the 19th century they were standard for elites. Eventually the Hungarians were trying to force Slovaks to learn reformed Hungarian instead of reformed Slovak, and so forth.

Hungary was still using Latin for administrative purposes until 1844.

Quite the same in Finland except the elite's language was Swedish. And Latin stayed important in Universities for a while.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Hegel do you have any videos of your pike reenactments, more specifically the training? I am looking on YouTube but there is not a lot to see (just a lot of fat dudes reenacting english pike pushing against each other in a circle)

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hogge Wild posted:

Funny quote:

But why Spanish instead of Latin?

It's a contemporary witticism, and may be misattributed entirely: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Charles_V,_Holy_Roman_Emperor

quote:

Misattributed
I speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to my Horse.

Charles V may have said something in this general format, but not with this specific wording. Variants have been quoted for centuries, and the earliest known citation, itself a secondary source dating from 40 years after his death, gives two versions that both differ from the modern one. Girolamo Fabrizi d'Acquapendente's 1601 De Locutione gives:

Unde solebat, ut audio, Carolus V Imperator dicere, Germanorum linguam esse militarem: Hispanorum amatoriam: Italorum oratoriam: Gallorum nobilem ("When Emperor Charles V used to say, as I hear, that the language of the Germans was military; that of the Spaniards pertained to love; that of the Italians was oratorical; that of the French was noble").

Alius vero, qui Germanus erat, retulit, eundem Carolum Quintum dicere aliquando solitum esse; Si loqui cum Deo oporteret, se Hispanice locuturum, quod lingua Hispanorum gravitatem maiestatemque prae se ferat; si cum amicis, Italice, quod Italorum dialectus familiaris sit; si cui blandiendum esset, Gallice, quod illorum lingua nihil blandius; si cui minandum aut asperius loquendum, Germanice, quod tota eorum lingua minax, aspera sit ac vehemens (Indeed another, who was German, related that the same Charles V sometimes used to say: if it was necessary to talk with God, that he would talk in Spanish, which language suggests itself for the graveness and majesty of the Spaniards; if with friends, in Italian, for the dialect of the Italians was one of familiarity; if to caress someone, in French, for no language is tenderer than theirs; if to threaten someone or to speak harshly to them, in German, for their entire language is threatening, rough and vehement").

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Do we know what the hell Englishmen were doing over there and how they got there? Is it kind of like the French Foreign Legion, where there's a tiny-but-steady (and loud) trickle of people who can't get their fighting-and-drinking jollies anywhere else, and become known as "les fuckings" after their favourite word?
No idea. It's weird because this:

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine fighting...over religion as the current monarch hates those other guys.
is the only thing it can't be, because as of 1623 the Elector of Saxony is still allied with the Emperor.

Animal posted:

Hegel do you have any videos of your pike reenactments, more specifically the training? I am looking on YouTube but there is not a lot to see (just a lot of fat dudes reenacting english pike pushing against each other in a circle)
PM sent.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 8, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Maybe there was a really good sports tournie going on then or something.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Antwerp is a cause so lost that I'm half-expecting to see it rescued at the last minute by a photogenic dog, but nobody seems to have told the Royal Naval Division. They're still there, in their boutique foot-deep trenches, listening to shells explode somewhere else, hearing rifle fire at some other position. All through the day they listen to the sounds and wait for orders. Shortly before nightfall, orders arrive. The Division has suffered minimal casualties of 57 killed and 138 wounded.

quote:

Leading Seaman Tobin, Hood Battalion, RND

On the 8th of October, an order came. "Prepare to move." We soon got orders to move to the right, and onto the road. We thought "Ah, if they won't come to us, we'll go out to them!" On reaching the road, instead of turning left to the city, we turned right to the city, and received the most deadening, soul-racking order a soldier can receive; retreat. We picked our way through the burning buildings, flaming oil tanks, to the pontoon bridge that had been built for us to cross and then destroy. On each side of the bridge stood refugees of every kind. This was the bridge of sighs. They had been stopped so we could cross. The flare from the burning lit their faces, expressionless and hopeless, and we felt ashamed.

"Sad" is not a soldier's word. Browned off, fed up, yes. But the only time a soldier is deeply and truly sad is when he is among refugees. Chiefly women, children and the ages, carrying or pulling prams, wheelbarrows, farm-carts. Piled high with their world, and often with granny perched on top. If his unit is rushing forward, pressing these weary souls aside so the troops can get ahead and engage the enemy, he's sad, but feels he's giving them hope. If his army is in retreat, the troops and guns rush past to take up another fighting position, he's sad and ashamed. He knows they think he is running away.

8,000 men of the RND. 205 battle casualties. However, only 5,300 men will take the west road to freedom and re-embark for Blighty. They'll be back in time, once they've been afforded such luxuries as "training" and "equipment". One of the battalions is put on a train, which is promptly dispatched in the wrong direction by the Belgian railwaymen; the men soon find themselves on an all-expenses-paid German package holiday. As for the rest, they're still in the trenches, waiting for orders that will never reach them. Between the shelling and the darkness, they haven't noticed their mates getting out of it.

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011
Hegel == Trin Trigula > Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar

Just saying.

(not that I want an effort post by Rodrigo or anything).

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Found this, not 100% sure its true. Did stuff like this actually happen?

How to Grind Coffee 101, WW1 German Trench Edition posted:

Rudi’s granddad, Alfons, fought for Germany in WW1 and survived, and in the 1950’s he shared his memories with Rudi.

Old Alfons described the appalling conditions in the trenches of WW1. Food, getting fed and feeding his men was a major issue for Alfons, who was a Hauptmann. Getting the food was one thing, preparing it another. And if "rations" theoretically existed, they were rarely issued as such. Adolf Hitler himself won a medal as a food carrier / message carrier on foot, dragging insulated containers of prepared meals to the men in the front lines. The food was usually cold when or if it ever got there. And food carriers were a prime target for French snipers.

Coffee was a much prized commodity. One day Alfons told Rudi how they brewed coffee in the trenches, in 20 easy steps: (This comes directly from Alfons’s diary.)

1. Send request to higher echelon, stating that the company did not have any coffee for 3 weeks.
2. Get answer, stating that coffee will be included in next main food distribution.
3. Get four 10-litre insulated canisters of brewed coffee, 2 weeks later, cold and stale, since canisters were on a cart that got hit by an artillery shell underway and were only retrieved after two weeks and then brought to the front line.
4. Try to stay polite while requesting 5 Kg of DRY coffee and send request.
5. Get big, new, wax-sealed tin can containing 25 Kg of freshly roasted coffee.
6. Open can and find whole beans.
7. Say something that cannot be printed.
8. Tell men who are off-duty to find one or two coffee grinders.
9. Ignore demeaning remarks from men who have been 5 weeks in the same wet mudhole called a "trench" and not replaced by fresh troops because totally cut off and cannot go anywhere.
10. Briefly think of possibilties of using a machine gun to grind coffee. Decide it would not be a very good idea although there is plenty of ammunition.
11. Sigh.
12. Notice that single French / Senegalese black P.O.W. (who is also stuck in the same hole) is laughing his head off since he noticed that the German Army is not capable of grinding coffee.
13. Ignore Senegalese stupid remarks about village women doing a better job in Senegal and without a coffee grinder.
14. Suppress urge to shoot P.O.W. and put pistol back into holster.
15. Ask P.O.W. how Senegalese women would do it.
16. Get four men to "get and clean that large piece of 380 mm artillery shell fragment that is lying somewhere over there".
17. Tell two men to clear their rifles and carefully clean the butts.
18. Pour 5 Kg of coffee beans in mortar-like shell fragment and tell the men with the clean rifle butts to use the rifles as pestles and grind the coffee, African-housewife style.
19. Have ground coffee distributed to all men of unit who have not died laughing and tell them to do with it whatever they like, avoiding remarks about sunshine.
20. Toss cup at Lt. Muller and tell him to brew coffee.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

SkySteak posted:

Found this, not 100% sure its true. Did stuff like this actually happen?

I can't verify this one story, but "stuff like this" certainly happened. Problems getting food (and coffee) to the frontline, problems with command sending worthless supplies, and hungry soldiers using whatever they had on hand as tools. Killing for Peace describes hungry soldiers in the Vietnam War prying the C4 out of landmines and burning it to cook food.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I can't verify this one story, but "stuff like this" certainly happened. Problems getting food (and coffee) to the frontline, problems with command sending worthless supplies, and hungry soldiers using whatever they had on hand as tools. Killing for Peace describes hungry soldiers in the Vietnam War prying the C4 out of landmines and burning it to cook food.
I remember reading an anecdote about German troops in Stalingrad receiving a ridiculously large shipment of ground pepper during their ill-fated attempt to keep supplied entirely by air transport, despite a critical shortage of food and ammunition.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Certainly on the German side, I'd be prepared to believe that. Once the blockade tightened its grip they were all drinking disgusting chicory substitute, and like Captain Janeway, they all suddenly developed much more of an appetite to go out on trench raids and minor offensives, the objectives being to get into some enemy dugouts and nick all their food, tea, coffee, rum, fags, pipe-tobacco, socks, and anything else that couldn't be had on the other side. It's actually a major reason why the Spring Offensive bogged down as soon as it did; the blokes were too busy conducting informal resupply exercises to keep advancing.

(In the absence of a proper pioneer corps after losses started to take their toll, they also enjoyed keeping POWs rather closer to the front than the Geneva Conventions dictated to do all the things they couldn't be bothered to do themselves, so the presence of the Senegalese heckler is actually the most believable part of the story.)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Not a terrible idea, actually, since Comp-B/C-4 burns quite readily.

However a terrible idea to take it from the claymores as now instead of having several thousand ball bearings spraying dismemberment and decapitation at high speed when you hit the clacker, they instead now have the velocity of a wet fart. Not good for killing VC.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MA-Horus posted:

Not a terrible idea, actually, since Comp-B/C-4 burns quite readily.

Wouldn't that be carcinogenic as hell?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

wdarkk posted:

No more so than the Agent Orange getting sprayed all over you or the 5 packs of pall malls you're smoking per day.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Its fumes on burning are described as poisonous, but that does not imply they're carcinogenic.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Is that the same reason Claymores supposedly have "Warning: Do Not Eat" labeled on them?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Is that the same reason Claymores supposedly have "Warning: Do Not Eat" labeled on them?

I've never seen one that has that. But they DO have "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY" on them.

Infantry is not good at convex vs concave.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

MA-Horus posted:

The dudes i study are insanely bad at most life choices, but very good at one or two things: one of those things is estimating how far away someone else is from you in paces. It's interesting to think about their mental landscape.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MA-Horus posted:

I've never seen one that has that. But they DO have "FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY" on them.

I've also read about a case where some soldiers assumed the label meant that the back was not dangerous at all, and bolted a Claymore mine to the front of their Humvee with the idea of using it like a grapeshot cannon.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:shrug: That works fine in Battlefield.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I've also read about a case where some soldiers assumed the label meant that the back was not dangerous at all, and bolted a Claymore mine to the front of their Humvee with the idea of using it like a grapeshot cannon.
:frogon: I need to know how this ended.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

A bunch of guys with ruptured eardrums and concussions and every pressure vessel on the hmmvw busted. Probably.

There's a 48 foot backblast zone on the claymore.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

MA-Horus posted:

No more so than the Agent Orange getting sprayed all over you or the 5 packs of pall malls you're smoking per day.

The 'Smoking me be hazardous to your health' warnings that started appearing on packs during Vietnam tend to show up a lot in memoirs as a source of great amusement to men who are trying to avoid being blown up/shot on the reg.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Does anyone know anything about the American Revolutionary War Rolls? I was looking at my family tree on Ancestry.com that my dad's cousin has been working on for years and learned that one of my ancestors was a gunner in the Continental Army. All that's shown on Ancestry.com is that he was a Gunner listed in Roll Box 120 of the Continental Troops. To actually view the films of the War Rolls Ancestry wants me to become a subscriber.

So what I'm wondering is how much more information might the War Rolls actually show? Like would it show years served and such?

I'm trying to determine what battles he may have been involved in. From googling Roll Box 120 it seems to be the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Artillery Regiments. However wikipedia lists all of these regiments being formed from companies from the Northern states while this particular ancestor is from Virginia. Did men travel to other states to enlist in the Continental Army?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Azathoth posted:

I remember reading an anecdote about German troops in Stalingrad receiving a ridiculously large shipment of ground pepper during their ill-fated attempt to keep supplied entirely by air transport, despite a critical shortage of food and ammunition.

During Market-Garden, one of the many, many things that went wrong for the British at Arnhem left them unable to tell the RAF that their resupply missions kept dropping supply canisters either straight into German-held territory or close enough to it that they couldn't be recovered safely.

One British paratrooper sees a canister land near enough to the British positions that he takes a chance and rushes out to grab it and bring it back while under fire.

When he gets back alive it out that the canister he grabbed was full of red berets.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 9, 2014

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Man If I was in charge of one of those aerial resupply missions I think I'd have a standing order that anyone caught loading anything other than food, fuel, ammo and medical supplies would be flogged.

Of course the mundane reality is probably closer to something like 'Well poo poo, the flight's scheduled to take off in ten minutes, we don't have any *insert any number of critical items* left at the airfield. Throw that crap on.'

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

A bunch of guys with ruptured eardrums and concussions and every pressure vessel on the hmmvw busted. Probably.

There's a 48 foot backblast zone on the claymore.

all the descriptions online of Operation Paul Bunyan (in response to the "Axe-Murder incident") mention SF guys strapping claymores to their chests.. probable exaggeration or serious SF bravado?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Azathoth posted:

Ground pepper and condoms.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Were the peppers inside the condoms because that sounds like an painful sex accident waiting to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arquinsiel posted:

It ended with an officer noticing and losing his voice yelling at everyone involved. I don't know how you would even begin to write up a reprimand for that kind of thing.

• Locked thread