Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

ImpAtom posted:

It was a battle royale but they say in the episode her previous teams never got past the first round and that she needs three people to even compete, but she is the only member.

I took it as a flashback sequence to a battle from before the club lost all it's members or a flashback to a smaller, non-team tournament.

I also think it's premature to pass judgment on any of the characters let alone our protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

W.T. Fits posted:

You still just basically dismissed Fumina as having any worth as a character based on a single episode and a preview. The thing is, Fumina's not just the female lead; she's the protagonist. The narrative is following her inner monologue, not Sekai's. She's the first of the main characters we see on screen, and she's the one who has an actual goal (compete in a Gunpla tournament) and an obstacle (no teammates). If she really is being set up to do nothing but sit back and fail while Sekai and Yuuma get all the glory, why is the narrative even bothering to establish all this? Why isn't it focusing on Sekai's thoughts and goals?

It's like Mr. Ral says, Sekai is the new Reiji, and Build Fighters wasn't about Reiji; it was about Sei. Sei wanted to compete in Gunpla Battle, Sei wanted to be the very best like no one ever was; Reiji was just tagging along for the ride.

Fumina isn't the new China or the new Aila; she's the new Sei.

Well to be fair Sei was not a shining example of good character development.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

No she isn't.

She's literally the first member of the main cast we see, she's the one with the dilemma that needs to be resolved, she's the one who's pushing Sekai to join her club and fight alongside her, she's the one actively working to move the story forward. In what way is she not the protagonist?

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

She blocks a single beam saber slash before she is effortlessly wrecked, followed by the lead character winning the fight literally barehanded.

Also we see later that the main character had another robot inside so he probably would have been fine.

Sekai blocks a single beam slash, blocks a single stabbing attack and then punches him once.

I also enjoy how you pretend like having the lead character defeat someone barehanded is some kind of disadvantage when that is his entire gimmick.

quote:

You remember when I mentioned Chihayafuru above? The main character of that, Chihaya, literally does everything you mentioned while also being a talented and skilled player. Why should I bet impressed by a female lead who is like her but playing second fiddle to two male leads?

I don't think Fumina is a bad character. I think she's likable and fun. That is why I'm frustrated that she's seemingly following the exact same route as the other BF female characters.

Yeah, no I'm calling bullshit.

impatom posted:

Not a bad first episode but it's really unfortunate that Fumina is already clearly doomed to do nothing of worth.

This is you declaring that Fumina is a worthless character after watching literally one episode. I didn't claim that you should be impressed by her showing in the first episode, I claimed that it was ridiculous that you are writing her off as a useless character based on her combat showing in the first loving episode. As a reminder, one of the leads of the original series got absolutely destroyed in both his showings in the first episode of BF, but of course its only the female characters that get immediately declared worthless.

quote:

It was a battle royale but they say in the episode her team never got past the first round and that she needs three people to even compete, but she is the only member.

It could have also been an exhibition match, a team match from earlier when she still had teammates or any number of other things. There is nothing suggesting it was a fantasy sequence and a lot of evidence that it was a real sequence.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

She's the member of the main cast we see, she's the one with the dilemma that needs to be resolved, she's the one who's pushing Sekai to join her club and fight alongside her, she's the one actively working to move the story forward. In what way is she not the protagonist?

Because the one who gets the giant shining moment, the cool iconic mecha hidden by the previous series protagonist, the one who the episode is titled after and so-on is not her. She is the narrator but this episode was about the boy who calls the wind.

Caros posted:

This is you declaring that Fumina is a worthless character after watching literally one episode. I didn't claim that you should be impressed by her showing in the first episode, I claimed that it was ridiculous that you are writing her off as a useless character based on her combat showing in the first loving episode. As a reminder, one of the leads of the original series got absolutely destroyed in both his showings in the first episode of BF, but of course its only the female characters that get immediately declared worthless.

And how is this not a reasonable assumption based off the entirety of the previous season of Build Fighters? They are doing literally the exact same thing. There is no difference in writing here. (Which is mostly a good thing. I liked Build Fighters!)

You also took "do nothing of worth" to mean "worthless character" which isn't what I said. I like a lot of Build Fighter's cast. That doesn't mean all of them did something of worth. I like Fumina even!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 9, 2014

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Much like I had hoped, both gundam shows are good!

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Because the one who gets the giant shining moment, the cool iconic mecha hidden by the previous series protagonist, the one who the episode is titled after and so-on is not her. She is the narrator but this episode was about the boy who calls the wind.

So Reiji was the protagonist of Gundam Build Fighters then? He is the one who gets the giant shining moment, the cool iconic mecha, his name was in the episode title etc.

quote:

And how is this not a reasonable assumption based off the entirety of the previous season of Build Fighters? They are doing literally the exact same thing. There is no difference in writing here. (Which is mostly a good thing. I liked Build Fighters!)

You also took "do nothing of worth" to mean "worthless character" which isn't what I said. I like a lot of Build Fighter's cast. That doesn't mean all of them did something of worth. I like Fumina even!

Because neither China or Aina were given lead billing in Build Fighters for starters. One was a supporting character and the other was an antagonist for the majority of the series, whereas Fumina is the protagonist of Build Fighters Try.

Caros fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

So Reiji was the protagonist of Gundam Build Fighters then? He is the one who gets the giant shining moment, the cool iconic mecha, his name was in the episode title etc.

Reiji and Sei were both protagonists, yes. Sei, however, had his important trait established in the first episode. (Great at building.) That trait goes to China's brother this season.

This is the concern people (and not just me) had from the moment the team lineup was announced. You had Reiji 2.0, Sei 2.0 (except good at fighting too) and a new character who appears to be the 'heart' of the team, which means she is less good at the two things the series is about than her teammates. (Although to her credit she doesn't appear inept at fighting like Sei was.)

And in the first episode she defeats one nameless opponent and then is wrecked by a guy who doesn't even like fighting with his models and considers it a waste. Like, straight up the guy's thing is that he doesn't like fighting with his models and even stated that the mere idea of a battling club fighter being beaten by a model club fighter would make them realize the club was worthless.

She could get better in later episodes. I'll be very happy if that happens! But the first episode was Build Fighters writing through and through in both good and bad ways.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 9, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, great first episode, fifty posts in the thread, let's see what-

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

quote:

You also took "do nothing of worth" to mean "worthless character" which isn't what I said.

Now you're quibbling over semantics. If the character is going to "do nothing of worth," then why bother having the character to begin with? Yes, the episode is about "the boy who called the wind"... as the solution to Fumina's problem. Again, if she's not the primary actor of this story, then why is it bothering to focus so much on her?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Now you're quibbling over semantics. If the character is going to "do nothing of worth," then why bother having the character to begin with?

Fine, I'll clarify. "Do nothing of meaningful worth in Gunpla Battles."

I am certain she will do other things. China helped motivate Sei to build the Star Build Strike, Aila used her psychic powers to help Sei and Reiji on a few occasions, Caroline provided assistance and kung-fu butlers, ect.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much right there with you.

I'm pretty much just going to sit the rest of this argument out and then smugly quote myself a few episodes down the line when I'm proven right.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lets wait till the second or third episode to actually reach these conclusions. Ep 2 is clearly a 2 on 2 so we can see if she actually does anything of note there.

Also Im betting that Yuuma is going to be sidelined harder than Fumina just because everything about his and his mechs design scream support strategist. He's going to be the back row fighter while Fumina and Sekai hold things down.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Poison Mushroom posted:

This. Can we wait until we've seen a bit more before dismissing the show as misogynistic garbage? :sigh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caros posted:

I'm pretty much just going to sit the rest of this argument out and then smugly quote myself a few episodes down the line when I'm proven right.

Feel free, I won't particularly care? I have nothing invested in this and will only be pleased if my expectations are subverted.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Lets wait till the second or third episode to actually reach these conclusions. Ep 2 is clearly a 2 on 2 so we can see if she actually does anything of note there.

Also Im betting that Yuuma is going to be sidelined harder than Fumina just because everything about his and his mechs design scream support strategist. He's going to be the back row fighter while Fumina and Sekai hold things down.

Nah, Yuuma is the 'cool smart guy' archetype and the writers love doing stuff with that. Think about how much effort them put into Yuuki's tactical K-9 battle. I'm actually pretty excited to see him fight someone who isn't a Try-team member.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

ImpAtom posted:

Reiji and Sei were both protagonists, yes. Sei, however, had his important trait established in the first episode. (Great at building.) That trait goes to China's brother this season.

This is the concern people (and not just me) had from the moment the team lineup was announced. You had Reiji 2.0, Sei 2.0 (except good at fighting too) and a new character who appears to be the 'heart' of the team, which means she is less good at the two things the series is about than her teammates. (Although to her credit she doesn't appear inept at fighting like Sei was.)

And in the first episode she defeats one nameless opponent and then is wrecked by a guy who doesn't even like fighting with his models and considers it a waste. Like, straight up the guy's thing is that he doesn't like fighting with his models and even stated that the mere idea of a battling club fighter being beaten by a model club fighter would make them realize the club was worthless.

You mean the guy who had the advantage of a model that was considered masterfully built because his biggest skill and hobby is building models?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm pretty much convinced that fumina will be a tactics master. we've got the brawler, the sniper so she'd fit nicely into that category. I'm more optimistic about her characters as she's part a the main three man team, so I think she won't end up like china. her loss could also help be explained by the shock of the guy going "Hey your clubs gonna get shut down"

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, Yuuma is the 'cool smart guy' archetype and the writers love doing stuff with that. Think about how much effort them put into Yuuki's tactical K-9 battle. I'm actually pretty excited to see him fight someone who isn't a Try-team member.

Another sniper battle? Yes please.

(also I wish fumina would keep the gm cardigan because it's really cool and i don't like sd gundam and it makes me more pessimistic about her)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

You mean the guy who had the advantage of a model that was considered masterfully built because his biggest skill and hobby is building models?

Yes? He praised Fumina's building skill and she was using her own hand-built customized Powered GM, and we already know from the original series that even a super-customized Gunpla needs a talented pilot to bring out its fully potential.

NotALizardman posted:

Another sniper battle? Yes please.

(also I wish fumina would keep the gm cardigan because it's really cool and i don't like sd gundam and it makes me more pessimistic about her)

Well, the SD Commando Gundam was basically the coolest moment Aila had in the original show, so it isn't impossible for it to be awesome.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope Yuuma turns out to be just a huge loving goony goon.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Hilariously, the HG Build Burning is going to be cheaper than HG Build Strike Full Package. I guess those backpacks really inflate the price.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Hilariously, the HG Build Burning is going to be cheaper than HG Build Strike Full Package. I guess those backpacks really inflate the price.

Wait for the upgrades. That is where they'll really hit you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

chumbler posted:

I hope Yuuma turns out to be just a huge loving goony goon.

He quit fighting in gunpla battles because his sister left for france. He's a siscon.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I hope Yuuma spends time moping that Sekai was the one who got his hands on a one-of-a-kind Sei Iori custom instead of him.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm confused about people complaining about Fumina losing to the Mantis Dude when "Bad guy makes a Sudden Revelation/Declaration of Badness[/i] -> 'Whaat!?' Gundam Hero is shocked and stunned! -> Bad guy uses this temporary distraction to deal a crippling blow" is a staple of Gundam fights in every series and has downed plenty of power Gundam Protagonists in the past. :shrug:

Hell, I think it happened to Reiji at least once in GBF.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Wait for the upgrades. That is where they'll really hit you.

His big mid-season upgrade is... new transparent colour pieces :v:.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Also, updated cameo list:

quote:

ZGMF-515 CGUE (SEED)
AMA-01X Jamru Fin (ZZ)
FF-X7-Bst Core Booster (MSG)
NRX-044 Asshimar (Zeta)
DT-6800A Daughtress (X)
RX-160 Byarlant (Zeta)
MSN-01 Psycommu Test High Mobility Type Zaku II (MSV)
RX-110 Gabthley (Zeta)
AMS-119 Geara Doga (CCA)
RMS-119 EWAC Zack (ZZ)
OZ-06MS Leo (W)
MS-14Jg Gelgoog Jäger (0080)
RGM-79 GM (MSG)
RMS-099 Rick Dias (Zeta)
RX-77-2 Guncannon (MSG)
RB-79 Ball (MSG)
RB-79K Ball Type K (08th MS)
AMX-003 Gaza-C (ZZ)
MS-21C Dra-C (0083)
RGC-83 GM Cannon II (0083)
RGM-86R GM III (ZZ)
RB-79 Ball (Shark Mouth) (MSV)
AMX-011 Zaku III (ZZ)
MS-17 Galbaldy Alpha (MSV)
RGM-122 Javelin (V)
XM-01 Den'an Zon (F91)
JDG-009X Death Army (G)
RGM-96X Jesta (Unicorn)
WMS-03 Maganac (W)
SVMS-01 Union Flag (00)
RMS-106 Hi-Zack (Zeta)
AMF-101 DINN (SEED)
RMS-154 Barzam (Zeta)
ZM-S22SC Imperial Rig Shokew (V)
RGZ-95C ReZEL Commander type (Unicorn)
NR-001 Balient (X)
OZ-02MD Virgo (W)
Musha Gundam (SD)
WF-02MD Virgo II (W)
Walter Gundam (G)
MA-06 Val Walo (0083)
RX-178 Gundam mkII (Zeta)
RX-78-3 Gundam "G-3" (MSV)
OZ-13MSX1 Vayeate (W)
MS-09B Dom (MSG)
AEU-09 AEU Enact (00)

I went back and watched one of the Unicorn MS videos, and it turns out not all ReZEL commander types deploy with the Hyper Mega Launcher. So this one's clear. Oh, and the thing to the top right of it turned out to be an Imperial Rig Shokew.

I'm pretty sure the green MS is another Hi-Zack (only different is the skirt armor, and it doesn't seem to be a variant) and the white one in the bottom left is a DINN.

These two pairs of legs are the only ones left. Thing on the right kind of reminds me of a M1 Astray?

EDIT: At 48 cameos total (49 if you count the Mock), BFT 1 just barely edges out BF 14's record of 46 cameos.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 9, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

These two pairs of legs are the only ones left. Thing on the right kind of reminds me of a M1 Astray?

EDIT: At 48 cameos total (49 if you count the Mock), BFT 1 just barely edges out BF 14's record of 46 cameos.

That's definitely an Astray. You can just see the two lower fins of the flight pack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's definitely an Astray. You can just see the two lower fins of the flight pack.

I think it's a Murasame, actually. It doesn't have the Strike-like binder over the foot and I think the flight pack is the Murasame's wings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's a Murasame, actually. It doesn't have the Strike-like binder over the foot and I think the flight pack is the Murasame's wings.

I think you're right. It's got the pointed wing tips.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It took a poo poo ton of pausing, but I got a better picture:

Yep, definitely a Murasame. You can actually tell just from the legs; the Murasame has a full red strip, while the M1 has white knees. "Gundam ga suki" has been burned into my brain

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 9, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to say, I want to meet the pilot of the customized Core Booster. Who the hell even does that?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well we won't be seeing a return from the Team Nemesis chairman in Try. His voice actor, Iemasa Kayumi, has passed away.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ImpAtom posted:

I have to say, I want to meet the pilot of the customized Core Booster. Who the hell even does that?
Someone who was upset that Plavisky particles have yet to be used for an Ace Combat game?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Aside from the upgrades ImpAtom mentioned, there's almost definitely going to be a kit where it comes with a Dom-functioning-as-ejectable-outer armor for the Build Burning. So yeah, there's the pricing there.

ImpAtom posted:

Someone either committed to a strategy, or just plain insane. Since this is a Gundam series, both options have valid reasonings!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Someone who was upset that Plavisky particles have yet to be used for an Ace Combat game?

Now I want to see someone turn up using the Sword Skygrasper :allears:.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I want to know about the poor shmucks who got assigned Ball army duty.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pureauthor posted:

I haven't watched much UC stuff, but wasn't their thing being they worked really well in mass quantities? They probably tried the same strategy and forgot they're up against protagonist Gundams piloted by competent players instead of nameless Zaku grunts.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

Aside from the upgrades ImpAtom mentioned, there's almost definitely going to be a kit where it comes with a Dom-functioning-as-ejectable-outer armor for the Build Burning. So yeah, there's the pricing there.

Absolutely not. That would require Bandai to make a new Dom mold. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Pureauthor posted:

Personally I felt worse for the Dra-C guys.

• Locked thread