Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

This is going to be the best news all month.

Bought in for the first screening, Nov 4th 8pm at the IMAX at Mall of Georgia, about 45 min outside of Atlanta in the suburbs. I saw Inception and Avatar there, but it was converted to digital in early 2011, so since then we've just been watching at the digital IMAX in town. Finally, we'll get to return to the giant screen with really steep seating. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ACoolT5 posted:

LOL no it's not.

Yeah I dont get what was supposed to be spoilerly either

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Josh Lyman posted:

Bought in for the first screening, Nov 4th 8pm at the IMAX at Mall of Georgia, about 45 min outside of Atlanta in the suburbs. I saw Inception and Avatar there, but it was converted to digital in early 2011, so since then we've just been watching at the digital IMAX in town. Finally, we'll get to return to the giant screen with really steep seating. :dance:

I'm planning on doing the same, if I can make it up there at a decent time.

Is the IMAX at Mall of Georgia any good? I've never been up there to see a movie.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Webbeh posted:

Is the IMAX at Mall of Georgia any good? I've never been up there to see a movie.
The last movie I saw there was Mission Impossible 4 and that was three years ago in digital, but from what I remember of Inception and Avatar, it was fantastic. The screen was great and huge; it's one of the really tall ones that almost has a square aspect ratio. A friend says he didn't like the sound during MI4, but I don't remember that being a problem.

The seating is a bit unusual but not in a bad way. When you walk in, you're at the very front bottom of the theatre, next to the screen. You have to climb steps before you reach the front row of seats; the entire seating area is elevated.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah it was probably an actual IMAX theater before another company bought that name and effectively changed the meaning to 'slightly larger than a regular screen'. The real IMAX screens were like 4 stories tall.

ACoolT5
Sep 23, 2003

All Hail Saban
Of the blood, and of the Tide

Webbeh posted:

Yeah, it's the one I always go to. It is the only real IMAX in Georgia. Also the other imax theaters are just 1.5 times the size of a regular theater. If you go to see an imax movie and that building doesn't have a portion that is 3 stories tall, it's not the real deal. Same ticket price too, wtf.

And for the mall of Georgia imax, get in line an hour before showtime and go to one of the two back rows. Thank me later.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
The only place in Philadelphia that's playing the 70mm IMAX print is the Tuttleman IMAX at the Franklin Institute, but I just discovered it's a dome screen. Has anyone seen major movies there, or in any dome IMAX before? Is it distracting, or does it actually add to the experience?

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

MeinPanzer posted:

The only place in Philadelphia that's playing the 70mm IMAX print is the Tuttleman IMAX at the Franklin Institute, but I just discovered it's a dome screen. Has anyone seen major movies there, or in any dome IMAX before? Is it distracting, or does it actually add to the experience?

If it's anything like the dome Omni IMAX at the Fort Worth Science and History Museum, I can barely tolerate watching a 30-40 minute wildlife film on it before getting a stiff neck from looking up along with a headache. When they announced they were showing a 2.5 hour Batman movie there I was like "oh hell no".

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

MeinPanzer posted:

I saw The Dark Knight Rises there and it was painful. Just go out to King of Prussia, it's a much better experience for movies.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Do not see real movies on dome screens. It is loving. AWFUL. I also saw The Dark Knight on a dome and it was the worst movie-going experience I have ever had, bar none.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Booked for IMAX in Mississauga on the 4th at 8pm.

If this is HALF as pretty a film as Gravity then the spacenerd in me shall be pleased.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gonna go buy a ticket to the IMAX 70mm showing for the Tempe Marketplace Harkins Theater sometime today; i'm still so goddamn psyched for this movie, despite reading the spoilers months ago.

Skull Knight
Aug 2, 2013

Sexy bad choices
Lipstick Apathy

That looked amazing. IMAX it is for me...

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

ACoolT5 posted:

Yeah, it's the one I always go to. It is the only real IMAX in Georgia. Also the other imax theaters are just 1.5 times the size of a regular theater. If you go to see an imax movie and that building doesn't have a portion that is 3 stories tall, it's not the real deal. Same ticket price too, wtf.

And for the mall of Georgia imax, get in line an hour before showtime and go to one of the two back rows. Thank me later.

Can do. Got tickets for the 7pm show on Friday.

So pumped.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Here in the UK my local Science centre 70mm IMAX screen got taken over by a national cinema chain last year and although they put in a digital projector to increase the number of available films they've kept the 70mm projector for IMAX science film showings. But Interstellar will only be displayed in digital Liemax.

loving bullshit.

twoot fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 3, 2014

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
I love the Smithsonian. I went and saw Dark Knight Rises in Chantilly on that IMAX screen, so I will return for Interstellar.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
That weird monolith-with-legs things keeps showing up in the trailers and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out what it is. Thought it was some component of the ship drive at first, but the latest trailer has it...following them around on the planet?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Der Luftwaffle posted:

That weird monolith-with-legs things keeps showing up in the trailers and it's driving me nuts trying to figure out what it is. Thought it was some component of the ship drive at first, but the latest trailer has it...following them around on the planet?

It's probably an assistant drone like the Big Dog robots that exist in real life, it's just made out of rectangles because it's a SciFi movie.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

In the leaked script, it's described as a robot marine and is part of the crew.

Not a particularly big spoiler, but y'know, don't read if you wanna go in completely blind beyond the trailers.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
Has there been any info revealed in regards to Topher Grace's role? He's one of the only cast members to not have a name on IMDB, so I can only assume he's an alien that Matthew McConaughey meets.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Josh Lyman posted:

No tickets until the 7th. How did you get the 4th?

gohmak fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 4, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sir Potato posted:

Has there been any info revealed in regards to Topher Grace's role? He's one of the only cast members to not have a name on IMDB, so I can only assume he's an alien that Matthew McConaughey meets.
Spoilers: He's Venom again. This whole thing is just a way to bring back the character.

HereCometheKillBots
Jul 21, 2010

Der Luftwaffle posted:

It has TARS printed on it, which is an enzyme contained in the Human genome. My uninformed guess would be that it's some kind of Human gene-seeding device?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

gohmak posted:

No tickets until the 7th. How did you get the 4th?
If you click through to Fandango, you'll see tickets available as early as 8pm on the 4th.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

twoot posted:

Here in the UK my local Science centre 70mm IMAX screen got taken over by a national cinema chain last year and although they put in a digital projector to increase the number of available films they've kept the 70mm projector for IMAX science film showings. But Interstellar will only be displayed in digital Liemax.

loving bullshit.

On the UK front, really pleased to see Bradford is buying a reel of this. The NMM (where the IMAX is) had major funding issues so they haven't bought any new IMAX films in a while, but their funding problems got resolved last month. Bradford has one of the best IMAX's in the world and think was the first outside the US, its just a pity the leg room is really small. Its a completely different experience watching a film at Bradford than even the 70mm IMAX's at the BFI in London and the 70mm in Manchester as the screen is just so massive and you are so close to it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
For those in select cities and IMAX theaters they are doing an Occulus Rift virtual tour of the spacecraft "Endurance" from the movie as a promo.

Looks like you just have to show up.
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/interstellar-oculus-rift-exhibits-1201322025/

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I knew there was a reason that I demanded we keep our 35mm up and running alongside our digital.

It's kinda hilarious that the only way people in my city can see such a huge release the first two days is by going to a 120 seat single screen theater downtown instead of the usual 14 screen multiplex out in the sprawl. Suck it, Regal!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

It's at the King of Prussia IMAX as well, which is where I'm going to be going.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

There is a new featurette showing at IMAX Theatres with archive and astronaut interview footage, finishing with some new shots from the movie including some wormhole travel. It may also have Hans Zimmer's soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4F2ymJARM&t=15s

:gizz: everywhere

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all
Blocked already :(

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TerminalBlue posted:

I knew there was a reason that I demanded we keep our 35mm up and running alongside our digital.

It's kinda hilarious that the only way people in my city can see such a huge release the first two days is by going to a 120 seat single screen theater downtown instead of the usual 14 screen multiplex out in the sprawl. Suck it, Regal!

That's nothing, the only place in Chicago to see it the first few days is at the Navy Pier IMAX, which is in one of the biggest tourist traps in the city, which is a pain in the balls to get to no matter where you live in the city.

Needless to say, I'll be there opening day.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Yoshifan823 posted:

That's nothing, the only place in Chicago to see it the first few days is at the Navy Pier IMAX, which is in one of the biggest tourist traps in the city, which is a pain in the balls to get to no matter where you live in the city.

Needless to say, I'll be there opening day.

As a former Chicago resident, I can confidently say that they'd have to be opening like, a long lost Stanley Kubrick film for me to to brave a combination of a Nolan opening night and the usual Navy Pier shenanigans. But living elsewhere has made me a pansy regarding these sorts of things.

70mm IMAX, 70mm, and 35mm trailer: http://youtu.be/3Tp5l71jkEQ Unlisted for whatever reason. Hardly seems like sensitive information. Nothing particularly new.

Dunno why they're not advertising the 4th anywhere despite--I believe--most venues being allowed by Paramount to open after 8pm that day. Guess it makes it feel double exclusive or something. I doubt anyone will have a half empty auditorium because of it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dammit, the 70mm IMAX showing in my area is a DOME theater. I suppose I'll go to a "regular" IMAX showing in another theater, will there be that much of a difference anyway?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Evil Trout posted:

Blocked already :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyoyqSA3TXY

If it goes down again I've got a copy

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

FreshFeesh posted:

From the movie poster thread. I don't have any movie posters on my wall, but the third one just drat gorgeous; I really hope this movie lives up to my expectations.

Fan posters are the loving worst and you should be ashamed of yourself for being in that thread.

ATankWithLegs
Nov 4, 2009

twoot posted:

There is a new featurette showing at IMAX Theatres with archive and astronaut interview footage, finishing with some new shots from the movie including some wormhole travel. It may also have Hans Zimmer's soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4F2ymJARM&t=15s

:gizz: everywhere

God I hope that is Hans Zimmers soundtrack because that was perfect.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Fixed link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InD7EE2REMw

And ya, if that's Zimmer's score, this might be one of his best scores ever. Sounds like Elliot Goldenthal or classic Jerry Goldsmith

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

ATankWithLegs posted:

God I hope that is Hans Zimmers soundtrack because that was perfect.

Zero hope here. Zimmer and most other big name composers has been repeating a few max volume horn section notes for almost a decade and calling it a theme song. Inception was like a parody of this trend: BRAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH. *strings hook* BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH. *strings hook* aaaaaand repeat ad infinitum.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

DeusExMachinima posted:

Zero hope here. Zimmer and most other big name composers has been repeating a few max volume horn section notes for almost a decade and calling it a theme song. Inception was like a parody of this trend: BRAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH. *strings hook* BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH. *strings hook* aaaaaand repeat ad infinitum.

Did you see 12 Years a Slave? It's completely different.

In Zimmer's own words:

Hans Zimmer posted:

Composer Hans Zimmer, who scored Nolan's Batman film trilogy, is scoring Interstellar. Zimmer and Nolan plan to move away from the trilogy's scores and to come up with a unique one. Zimmer said, "The textures, the music, and the sounds, and the thing we sort of created has sort of seeped into other people's movies a bit, so it's time to reinvent. The endless string [ostinatos] need to go by the wayside, the big drums are probably in the bin."[40] Zimmer also said that Nolan did not provide him a script or any plot details for writing music for the film and instead gave the composer "one page of text" that "had more to do with [Zimmer's] story than the plot of the movie".[41]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

DeusExMachinima posted:

You're aware that Inception basically invented that trend, right?

Like it's hard to repeat something when you're the first one doing it.

• Locked thread