Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Haven't read any of the Parasyte manga, but the anime was great! Great animation, interesting central relationship, and generally just a cool set up. The balance between horror and comedy seems really confident. I'm a bit iffy on the music, and the OP and ED are eh, but I usually skip them anyway unless I particularly like them (Barakamon).

Chaika season 2 kicked off well enough. It does what it does well, and there's enough strangeness that you know there will be some solid twists and turns down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Just to give everyone fair warning, Parasyte doesn't really stay outright horror for that long if I remember correctly. It turns into a dark action series, more along the lines of Devilman or Type-Moon's stuff, fairly quickly.

It still loving owns, and the body-horror aspects don't really go away (though they kinda get more cool than scary), but how the series begins isn't necessarily representative of how it ends (or even how it middles).

e: I hope this isn't considered a spoiler, I just see a lot of people talking about it like it's straight horror and if it follows the manga I don't want everyone to be pissed off about the "bait-and-switch."

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 9, 2014

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

Chaika - It's certainly more Chaika. I'm satisfied.

Parasyte - The reason dubstep worked so well in Gatchaman Crowds was due to how sharp, angular, and colorful the art style was. You didn't even need to bring Four Loko to the party. Dubstep also works in Parasyte because it's weird. The MC's hand is dirty. Dog hide bat wings are dirty. Dubstep is dirty. It fits, but it's nowhere near the level of Crowdstep. Tear away the music and the horror and you have what looks like a pretty generic, although somewhat conceptually creative, shounen action anime with great animation. Luckily, you can't tear away the horror and the uncensored alien gore which makes Parasyte easily my favorite action this season.

Unlimited Blade Works - Parasyte is better as an action anime. I might think differently if I had actually watched Fate/Zero. It sure is shiny.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gundam Build Fighters Try is the best show I've seen yet this season. Chaika and Parasyte were also pretty good, Wednesdays are gonna be awesome days

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Wolfman Nards posted:

Parasyte - The reason dubstep worked so well in Gatchaman Crowds was due to how sharp, angular, and colorful the art style was. You didn't even need to bring Four Loko to the party. Dubstep also works in Parasyte because it's weird. The MC's hand is dirty. Dog hide bat wings are dirty. Dubstep is dirty. It fits, but it's nowhere near the level of Crowdstep. Tear away the music and the horror and you have what looks like a pretty generic, although somewhat conceptually creative, shounen action anime with great animation. Luckily, you can't tear away the horror and the uncensored alien gore which makes Parasyte easily my favorite action this season.

Unlimited Blade Works - Parasyte is better as an action anime. I might think differently if I had actually watched Fate/Zero. It sure is shiny.

I'm convinced you're just trolling at this point.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, neither of those opinions are that weird? Parasyte slightly edges out UBW for me too so far, but only because UBW's beginning isn't nearly as interesting as Parasyte's. I'm familiar with the originals of both and, provided both of them stick the landing, they'll probably end up about even in my opinion.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Parasyte was good and all, but it's not really an action show and the action that was there was pretty mundane.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Like I said earlier, it becomes more of an action show later on. "Tokyo Ghoul but not mediocre" is actually a pretty good way of describing the general arc the series takes, tonally/genre-wise.

e: It's not as if UBW had very much action in the first half of episode 0, either. :v: (It's sort of unfair to compare an entire hour-long episode of one show to a half-hour of another.)

e2: Ahahaha, the little changes they're making to Parasyte to make it less early-90s are actually really good. I love how Shinichi's first impulse when Migi reveals itself to him is to google "talking right hand weird snake" and see what comes up.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 9, 2014

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!

SALT CURES HAM posted:

e2: Ahahaha, the little changes they're making to Parasyte to make it less early-90s are actually really good. I love how Shinichi's first impulse when Migi reveals itself to him is to google "talking right hand weird snake" and see what comes up.

haha yes. Had a good laugh with the hubby over the googling. I like the modernization of the show, I was worried. Little things like his dad reading the report on the mom and daughter on an iPad instead of the paper.

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

It's sort of unfair to compare an entire hour-long episode of one show to a half-hour of another.

It's sort of unfair for me to compare it to anything at all. All I know is that Type Moon is some kind of visual novel series where some of the canon games are apparently hentai and that Unlimited Budget Works has some good visuals.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

1st episode impressions of shows without threads:

Parasyte was awesome because Right Hand is such a loveable jerk. The dubstep and imaginative animation/situations are icing on the cake. Also, super realistic Googling.

Amagi Brilliant Rap Battle - It may take 8+ episodes before unintentional comedy from the character names wears thin. Actual comedy from the show is decent.

TerraFormars - Overzealous censoring, but interesting concept and execution so far.

Inou Battle - Not bad, TRIGGER. When a comedy show builds up for one main joke, and you see it coming, and it is still pretty hilarious, it bodes well for the series.

Merman Bathtub - Please improve quickly, show.

Atsuki no Yona - Shoujo Adventures of Three Kingdoms Korea. The first episode was entirely backstory, so we'll see.

My Husband is a 2cher! - I...I don't know.

Sora no Method - I just watched this a day ago and I've already forgotten the premise.

Donten ni Warau - I just watched this an hour ago and I've already forgotten the premise.

SEGA NOSTALGIA TIME - Amusing fluff, but ultimately sub-par.

Wolf Girl Black Prince - Eh. It's weird to see those typical side-side characters be main-side characters.

Denki-gai no Honya-san - Boring, generic. Maybe standards are high after great sitcoms like Working and Servant x Service. Naaah.

Special note for Grisaia which has a thread but is the clear winner of this season's "as long as you get past/ignore these things, the story is great" award.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Wolfman Nards posted:

It's sort of unfair for me to compare it to anything at all. All I know is that Type Moon is some kind of visual novel series where some of the canon games are apparently hentai and that Unlimited Budget Works has some good visuals.

Type-Moon is a company that makes action-horror VNs with really, really batshit insane premises. Some of them have gratuitous titties in them. On the whole, though, they're quite good, and the original UBW is probably the second-best thing they've ever done (and the best is getting a movie series immediately after UBW is over with).

It's pretty awesome finally being able to recommend people a Type-Moon thing without serious reservations, that's for sure. (Not counting Kara no Kyoukai because, if I remember correctly, the original predates Type-Moon as a company, and it's... a little hairy in the writing department, even with the tweaks ufotable made.)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Type-Moon is a company that makes action-horror VNs with really, really batshit insane premises. Some of them have gratuitous titties in them. On the whole, though, they're quite good, and the original UBW is probably the second-best thing they've ever done (and the best is getting a movie series immediately after UBW is over with).

It's pretty awesome finally being able to recommend people a Type-Moon thing without serious reservations, that's for sure. (Not counting Kara no Kyoukai because, if I remember correctly, the original predates Type-Moon as a company, and it's... a little hairy in the writing department, even with the tweaks ufotable made.)

I'd at least recommend Paradox Spiral out of all the Kara no Kyoukai movies.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The world is falling apart and I don't know what to do.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Garo: Honoo no Kokuin: It's so retro I have to watch the lone hero take out the evil kingdom in not-europe. Oh and mecha suits make me miss Gatchaman Crowds.

World Trigger: I wonder why the alien monsters are called "Neighbors"? That name sounds so friendly and misunderstood at the same time. I might follow it because I like shounen and art style is OK.

Wolf Girl & Black Prince: OP/ED look super generic along with the animation content. The actual studio is kinda meh too but it's only 12 episodes so maybe?

Go Google it! Kokkuri-San: I liked it more than I expected from the summary. It reminds me somewhat of Humanity has Declined and The Devil is a Part-Timer kind of humor and so far it's amusing. I'm not familiar w/the director either.

Parasyte: Some reason I thought this was anime original and got excited but actually no. It reminds me of Men in Black w/aliens having their own agendas and the MC just goes along with it. Hopefully, won't be too violent in the later episodes :buddy:

Donten ni Warau: I liked the character design and setting. Yeah that's pretty much it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This is going to be fun.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Alder posted:

Parasyte: Some reason I thought this was anime original and got excited but actually no. It reminds me of Men in Black w/aliens having their own agendas and the MC just goes along with it. Hopefully, won't be too violent in the later episodes :buddy:

You uh, may wanna check out of this one early.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's a great time to be alive

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Hatsune Miku on Letterman review: Not worth watching Letterman for

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

How long until there's a highlights reel I can watch

Was it even good/stupid enough for a highlights reel

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

How long until there's a highlights reel I can watch

Was it even good/stupid enough for a highlights reel

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Hatsune Miku on Letterman review: Not worth watching Letterman for

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Letterman's comment after it was over was "like being on Willy Nelson's bus".

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Working on a Parasyte thread.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please title it "talking right hand weird snake"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Parasyte: pretty much perfect so far. All the updated stuff works great. The OP song is a little terrible, but that's literally the only bad thing I have to say about this show.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Parasyte was pretty great. I'm not generally a fan of gore-related or horror anime but this looks like it might be pretty gripping. Reeeeeally good first episode, by first episode standards.

Amagi Brilliant Park was just... i don't know. It had a sense of humour about it but it looked kinda like a chuuni wish fulfilment fever dream. I might just be getting fed up of anime tropes and stuff but a few of the setup things, particularly near the end, made me roll my eyes. I'm gonna give it a shot but i'm not expecting to stay with it.

Grisaia: I could really tell by the introduction scenes and arrangement of the episode that it was from a VN, and like with Amagi it's not completely without imagination but a ~secret agent murder sniper~ in a luxury school with half a dozen anime archetype ~secret agent murder maid/oneechan/tsundere~ etc girls is setting off all kinds of 'this is forgettable trash' alarms.

Denki-Gai no Honya-san looks like dumb fluff that i might watch anyway, but it's nothing too amazing.

I couldn't even finish Trinity Seven, as soon as it switched into the 'new hogwarts transfer student is super-powered' stuff i just saved myself the last 10 minutes and did some chores instead.

edit: I forgot about Inou Battle, even though i mentioned chuuni. :v: It was pretty funny, not really offensive, could be good!

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 9, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Wallrod posted:

... chuuni wish fulfilment fever dream ...

I know what my next username is

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom

Old folks must be so confused.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Stall_19 posted:

Old folks must be so confused.
People on twitter were asking why there was a holographic barbie/singing manga girl on Letterman

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Parasyte thread is up.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Dave's reaction at the last 10 seconds of the clip is pretty great if you like awkward stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9rJVyisiaI

Edit: better quality video

Ulta fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 9, 2014

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Ulta posted:

Dave's reaction at the last 10 seconds of the clip is pretty great if you like awkward stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9rJVyisiaI

Edit: better quality video

Anime Is Real

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I know what my next username is

congrats on finding a name

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Shirobako was a nice look at animators and the work they do. Like a less cartoony Animation Runner Kuromi. They even included name and occupation captions because a cast made up of all the employes a small animation studio has is so large.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Oh god I checked up on some random Psycho Pass videos in anticipation for it airing in an hour and Akane's dub voice :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdHV4-O9uk

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fears for Shirobako may be misplaced. It's not about a bunch of girls in a high-school club. I mean, they were in a club, but high school ends a few minutes into the episode and we go into an actual work-life production environment with adults.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You uh, may wanna check out of this one early.

Surely, it can't be that bad? :buddy:

I expect some HQ censoring to add my overall experience.

Fate/stay night Unlimited Blade Works: I watched 15-20 min to check the animation quality and it's OK. I don't remember the original other than DOLPHINS and lion plushie so YMMV. Is the nostalgia factor enough for me? IDK.

Nanatsu no Taizai: The Seven Deadly Sins: Nice studio, nice animation, nice scenery but creepy MC = nty. Does it get better is the MC doomed to be 4ever alone? I heard it was a new popular shounen so mildly disappointed atm.

Yona of the Dawn: I miss old school shoujo but this episode is bland for a intro. Is it not-China w/Korean names and Japanese customs o-o? Reminds me, I should complete 12 Kingdoms or read the novels. It's short so I might tune in next time out of boredom.

@P-P dub: It sounds like Yukari from P3?! OK, not familiar w/ENG VAs but she does sound a little too young for someone in her 20s. I now want to watch all the dub clips for everyone else...

Alder fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 9, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Alder posted:

Nanatsu no Taizai: The Seven Deadly Sins: Nice studio, nice animation, nice scenery but creepy MC = nty. Does it get better is the MC doomed to be 4ever alone? I heard it was a new popular shounen so mildly disappointed atm.

The weird molesting of her boobs thing just disappears at some point but I couldnt tell you when. I think its just an early thing then goes away.

It definitely has a weaker beginning but picks up. The manga is decent fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

pandaK posted:

Oh god I checked up on some random Psycho Pass videos in anticipation for it airing in an hour and Akane's dub voice :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAdHV4-O9uk

Her dub voice is perfectly acceptable though? I know it's not beautiful ~JAPANESE~ but I've watched the dub and it's pretty solid and she does a good job.

• Locked thread