Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hope Henry starts rotating jobs constantly so we can have Dr. War, Professor War, Officer War, and Construction Worker War.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I just want to see John Noble cut loose with his booming Irish voice in court.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

I liked the "privateer" guy and hope he shows up again.

He's going to be Abbie's main squeeze.
(or at least used to make Ichabod jealous)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I don't have anything to add about the episode (wasn't John Noble great in this one?), but I hope that the thread title changes each week to be a different Revolutionary War monster. May I recommend James Mummy-son or John Dracula Adams?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

loving loved this episode, just like them all. It's just so nice to watch a wacky show with actors that you actually care about. The two leads are just so good.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

mr.capps posted:

I hope Henry starts rotating jobs constantly so we can have Dr. War, Professor War, Officer War, and Construction Worker War.

Only if we get different action figures for each one.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

mr.capps posted:

Along with Soldier War, American Indian War and Leatherboy War, complete with War action figures for each Village People persona.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

mr.capps posted:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR.M.C.A. :dance:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

mr.capps posted:

With matching action figures please.

edit: Beaten

johntfs posted:

I just want to see John Noble cut loose with his booming Irish voice in court.

What Irish voice?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mr.capps posted:

Cop War, Indian War, Sailor War.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

johntfs posted:

Along with Soldier War, American Indian War and Leatherboy War, complete with War action figures for each Village People persona.

gently caress.

e: I love how Crane gets when he comes across someone who knows almost as much as he does. I hope McConaughey stays and becomes a good guy

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 8, 2014

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
My only issue with episode is that everyone knows the 30 pieces of silver paid to Judas were not Tyrian Shekels but Roman Denarius, and they don't awaken your inner evil but contain within them 30 fallen angels that corrupt, influence and eventually takeover or partner with anyone who touches them.

...drat it I was Crane to face off with Nicodemus Archleone

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

VBane posted:

My only issue with episode is that everyone knows the 30 pieces of silver paid to Judas were not Tyrian Shekels but Roman Denarius, and they don't awaken your inner evil but contain within them 30 fallen angels that corrupt, influence and eventually takeover or partner with anyone who touches them.

...drat it I was Crane to face off with Nicodemus Archleone

I spent the entire episode geeking out over the idea of the Denarians on this show.

Honestly, those could work in a way. And now I wanna reread their particular books in The Dresden Files.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I'm more concerned about the tracking spells Henry can use with his scale model of Sleepy Hollow.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

Another great episode, but I did feel like they did a sudden swerve with the coin and Jenny. Every example we are given of the coin effects has to do with betraying what you love most, not just get mad and pick a target. It would have made far more sense for her to target her sister, who she already has a grudge against anyway. It made me wonder if that was changed partway through the writing, since the betrayal aspect was emphasized so much early on.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Limbo posted:

Another great episode, but I did feel like they did a sudden swerve with the coin and Jenny. Every example we are given of the coin effects has to do with betraying what you love most, not just get mad and pick a target. It would have made far more sense for her to target her sister, who she already has a grudge against anyway. It made me wonder if that was changed partway through the writing, since the betrayal aspect was emphasized so much early on.

That's not what Henry said. He said that it brings out darkness that's already in you.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It made sense she would target Reyes instead of her sister because the issues they had in season one have at least been fixed up for the most part; in that episode, Jenny was angry at how calmly Abbie was taking the fact that Reyes turned in their mom, but was probably angrier at Reyes in general.

Also you know, she also had the gall to arrest her when there's more important stuff like the threat of freaky hell poo poo breaking loose. That might have touched a nerve.

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

Lycus posted:

That's not what Henry said. He said that it brings out darkness that's already in you.

True, but every example seemed to stress the other part as well...the teller loved that bank, Benedict Arnold loved his country, etc. Each one was a personal betrayal, so it just seemed a little off to me.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Lycus posted:

Right. I think you could actually read this as Ichabod being in denial about Benedict Arnold turning against Crane and his fellow revolutionaries when he (incorrectly) explained what the coins do to a person.

Arnold was already thinking it, already wanted to do it, but something in his mind (loyalty, friendship, duty, whatever) was holding him back. The coin didn't make him do a 180 degree turn and hate what he loved, it just silenced the part of his mind that was keeping him from doing what he truly wanted to do.

Ichabod would have latched onto the idea that it makes you turn against that which you love, because that's going to make him feel better about being betrayed. Sort of a hopeful denial.

Then when Jenny gets the coin, she doesn't turn on her sister, who she loves. No, she grabs a gun and goes after the Police Chief who she hates. She does what she really wanted to do all along, but there was some part of her that stopped her, which the coin just pushed out of the way.

If Ichabod stops to think about why Jenny picked the target she did, and how that applies to Benedict Arnold, he's going to become quite sad.

Limbo posted:

True, but every example seemed to stress the other part as well...the teller loved that bank, Benedict Arnold loved his country, etc.
Or another way to look at it is that perhaps those people only SEEMED to love the thing they turned against. The bank teller may have been keeping up appearances for her job while her bosses passed her up for promotions and raises. She may have started out happy and proud of her job, but after 15 years she had been slowly beaten down and kept hoping it would get better. Everyone thinks she's happy there because she works hard to look like she really is, then the coin comes along and simply says says "Naah, stop pretending."

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 9, 2014

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

Robot Hobo posted:

Right. I think you could actually read this as Ichabod being in denial about Benedict Arnold turning against Crane and his fellow revolutionaries when he (incorrectly) explained what the coins do to a person.

Arnold was already thinking it, already wanted to do it, but something in his mind (loyalty, friendship, duty, whatever) was holding him back. The coin didn't make him do a 180 degree turn and hate what he loved, it just silenced the part of his mind that was keeping him from doing what he truly wanted to do.

Ichabod would have latched onto the idea that it makes you turn against that which you love, because that's going to make him feel better about being betrayed. Sort of a hopeful denial.

Then when Jenny gets the coin, she doesn't turn on her sister, who she loves. No, she grabs a gun and goes after the Police Chief who she hates. She does what she really wanted to do all along, but there was some part of her that stopped her, which the coin just pushed out of the way.

If Ichabod stops to think about why Jenny picked the target she did, and how that applies to Benedict Arnold, he's going to become quite sad.

Or another way to look at it is that perhaps those people only SEEMED to love the thing they turned against. The bank teller may have been keeping up appearances for her job while her bosses passed her up for promotions and raises. Everyone thinks she's happy there because she works hard to look like she really is, then the coin comes along and just says "Naah, stop pretending."

Very good points. It was probably just me reading more into it than was there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Victor Garber just joined The Flash, which I guess dashes any hope of Daddy Crane returning.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

muscles like this? posted:

Victor Garber just joined The Flash, which I guess dashes any hope of Daddy Crane returning.

Not necessarily. There's plenty of precedent for a regular on one show to guest star on another show. Both Reed Diamond (a regular on "Franklin and Bash") and Amy Acker (a regular on "Person of Interest") have guested on "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

I can't really be disappointed by this news. Victor Garber's great and The Flash is a really fun show. Between it, Arrow, Sleepy Hollow, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. there's a whole fuckton of great genre TV on this season, that people are actually watching too!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't really be disappointed by this news. Victor Garber's great and The Flash is a really fun show. Between it, Arrow, Sleepy Hollow, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. there's a whole fuckton of great genre TV on this season, that people are actually watching too!

You forgot Forever, and Constantine (although it hasn't started yet). Gotham if we stretch the definition to really mediocre genre television that people are actually watching.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

You forgot Forever, and Constantine (although it hasn't started yet). Gotham if we stretch the definition to really mediocre genre television that people are actually watching.

Indeed I did. :flashfact:

I'm unironically enjoying Gotham but I don't want TVIV to know my shameful secret.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Indeed I did. :flashfact:

I'm unironically enjoying Gotham but I don't want TVIV to know my shameful secret.

What are you, a smallville character? let your secret hang out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

nine-gear crow posted:

A whole lot of great genre TV plus Agents of S.H.I.T., you mean.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jedit posted:

You haven't watched shield since the middle of last season have you? It skyrocketed in quality in the last 5 or 6 episodes and then stayed that way, once they no longer had to stall in order to keep pace with Winter Soldier.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jedit posted:

Please don't steal jokes from reddit/youtube comments.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Doesn't Crane have an identity though? I remember last season that the Chief called Oxford(?) and they said they had a history professor named Ichabod Crane, which seemed important but it didn't come up again. Or maybe I imagined that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

VDay posted:

Please don't steal jokes from reddit/youtube comments.

I don't read those comments. I came up with the obvious joke all by myself some time around episode 3, when I stopped watching the godawful show full of boring characters.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah because shows never get better as a season goes on. Good one though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Pwnstar posted:

Doesn't Crane have an identity though? I remember last season that the Chief called Oxford(?) and they said they had a history professor named Ichabod Crane, which seemed important but it didn't come up again. Or maybe I imagined that.

Having one dude ready to answer the phone and go 'Ichabod Crane? Yeah he works here' is a far cry from having actual entries in databases certifying you exist.

At least, the way I remember that going down in the first season was basically 'I called over there and they said you were legit' so that's how I figure it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
One brief phone call was good enough for Irving, but Reyes wants papers.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Pwnstar posted:

That happened, he claimed to be a history professor at Oxford. Technically not a lie, but also not really true for the past 200 years. The police called Oxford to confirm this, and someone on that end did inform them that Ichabod was indeed on their faculty.

Ichabod never seemed to question that bit, but he was having a busy day.

So someone at Oxford was both willing and prepared to cover for Ichabod in case anyone came calling, and surprisingly quickly after his re-awakening. So that means Team Witness either has allies there that have been waiting for him all this time, or it was some string-pulling on Henry's part. Team Moloch did need Ichabod to involved at least long enough for him to allow the sin-eater to separate him from the Horseman of Death, so that's definitely a possibility.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lycus posted:

One brief phone call was good enough for Irving, but Reyes wants papers.

Irving was in the middle of a complete poo poo show and once he showed his worth its enough. Reyes is not dealing with a bunch of cops with their heads removed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah but you'd think she'd ask about it.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Robot Hobo posted:

So someone at Oxford was both willing and prepared to cover for Ichabod in case anyone came calling, and surprisingly quickly after his re-awakening. So that means Team Witness either has allies there that have been waiting for him all this time, or it was some string-pulling on Henry's part. Team Moloch did need Ichabod to involved at least long enough for him to allow the sin-eater to separate him from the Horseman of Death, so that's definitely a possibility.

Yeah, that seemed like a big plot point that was never expanded upon, that someone in the UK saw fit to make sure Ichabod Crane was in the database to legitimize him.

That should probably come back up. Ichabod has no social security number (or a British NIN, for that matter.) All he has is a fraudulent UK passport. But is there some conspiratorial Mason connection pulling governmental strings for him?

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
This is pulp TV of the highest order and quality, I am fine with that loose thread.

Knowing this show, though, they may tie it up later in a rad way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, they are going to London some time this season, so it will probably get some kind of resolution when they do that. The writers are usually good at picking up dangling threads like that one.

I've got faith.

• Locked thread