Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My only complaint with Smash Run is that I wish some of the end events were longer. You don't really get a taste of just how beefy you've gotten in some of them, because they end so fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Rocketlex posted:

My first For Glory match. I go in as Greninja. My opponent picks Greninja. The match starts. I immediately suicide because I thought I was him.

Yeah, interface. Put my percentage on the first-player side but spawn me on the second-player side. That makes a ton of sense.

Everyone sees themselves as Player 1. You can keep track of yourself by tapping your character's portrait.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

Everyone sees themselves as Player 1. You can keep track of yourself by tapping your character's portrait.

Yeah, it took me a bit to figure this out. Why do they do this, again? It even has a brief 'You are P1!" flash up on screen when you load into a game, they could easily have it say 'You are P2/3/4!'

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Cleretic posted:

My only complaint with Smash Run is that I wish some of the end events were longer. You don't really get a taste of just how beefy you've gotten in some of them, because they end so fast.
Yeah I kinda want them to last longer cuz those are super fun to try. MY favourite especially is Enemy Team because fighting all the enemies of games past is awesome, but NOW I can take pictures of the crossover battles I always wanted but Newgrounds failed to uphold the quality of! :science:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

codenameFANGIO posted:

Everyone sees themselves as Player 1.

Ain't that the truth.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I'm bored. Somebody(s) smack me around please.

4613 7375 9117

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Rocketlex posted:

Ain't that the truth.

lol

you're ok

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fibby Boy posted:

4613 7375 9117

What the hell sort of home address is this?

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Fibby Boy posted:

4613 7375 9117

I'll join ya on that. 3136-7075-2957

Just did 100 man smash with everyone not too long ago, thank God that's over. Now I'm just gonna have a hard time doing Smash run with everyone and 9.0 classic.

edit: Nevermind on 9.0, took a few tries, but I managed to do it with aprox. +80, +10 -10 Ganondorf.

LordOfTheNoobs fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 9, 2014

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I feel disappointed in this game's stages, but can't put my finger on why. I like the way a lot of them look--Kirby stage, 16-bit FZero stage--but for some reason they all feel either too small or too dangerous. Like, Gaur Plains is a big one, but there's a lot of moving stages and two variations on the F-Zero stage from Brawl...there's maybe four stages I really like, and that seems like a lot less than I recall from previous games.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

As long as Temple returns on the Wii U version, I will be happy.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I always give myself the border, unless I'm vsing someone with a teleport because it kinda gives away their movement

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I feel disappointed in this game's stages, but can't put my finger on why. I like the way a lot of them look--Kirby stage, 16-bit FZero stage--but for some reason they all feel either too small or too dangerous. Like, Gaur Plains is a big one, but there's a lot of moving stages and two variations on the F-Zero stage from Brawl...there's maybe four stages I really like, and that seems like a lot less than I recall from previous games.

My main beefs are that there's too many walkoffs and three separate variations on "sidescrolling Mario stage".

Gaur Plain is kind of a shame because I really love the concept of an "inverted" stage where the large platforms are on top and smaller ones are scattered below, but the walkoffs are an irritant.

mabels big day posted:

As long as Temple returns on the Wii U version, I will be happy.

I think it's a lock. The music is in the 3DS sound check, and the stage was in Brawl like the rest of the returning stages.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

BottledBodhisvata posted:

They're just way too loving gimmicky. I hope the Wii U version is better.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Yeah, I feel like they took the existence of Omega stages as an excuse to make all the other stages wild and crazy. I like having a variety of platform layouts, but half of the stages make me feel like I'm fighting the stage more than my opponent.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTaS492JXgg

So how old is this? Because 8 player smash sounds pretty neat if that's a Wii U feature.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

lovely Wizard posted:

So how old is this? Because 8 player smash sounds pretty neat if that's a Wii U feature.

:pray: grab the coins :pray:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Rocketlex posted:

Yeah, I feel like they took the existence of Omega stages as an excuse to make all the other stages wild and crazy. I like having a variety of platform layouts, but half of the stages make me feel like I'm fighting the stage more than my opponent.

I was so irritated with Omega stages when I found out that they were all Final Destination.

I was really hoping that some would be Battlefield variants or something, but nope, every level is Final Destination. How do you gently caress that up so bad!!!

Also Temple is the best goddamned level and I hope it's in Smash U as well. If they would just have a variant without the basement it would really appease a lot of people, too.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

lovely Wizard posted:

I really hope event mode is unique and fun like in Melee, instead of bland and lame like Brawl.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
So I was looking at the page 3 challenges and noticed the 50 hour Smash one, and the two that require a long distance of running ans jumping. Do CPUs in Smash count towards those goals? ALso, if I set all players to CPU and let it run overnight, does it count towards my total play time? I'm just doing the lazy bum method into getting the harder challenges.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bonzibuddy64 posted:

Yeah, it seems like the normal stages are either really good or really poo poo, there's not much of a middle ground. The Spirit Train is a piece of poo poo, Wily's Castle becomes really annoying when the Yellow Devil appears (I wish you could play on that stage without the devil and just the platforms on the side), Boxing Ring camera sucks, Green Hill Zone and Distant planet have just terrible god drat lay-outs but I'm glad they came back so you can play the Omega versions and enjoy the music and looks of them.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The animal crossing stage is the worst one. Jesus christ

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Nah Tortimer's Island is alright, it's nothing compared to the atrocity that is Gaur Plain.

Although almost all of the really bad stages are retro stages. It's good that they're bringing back levels from Melee and Brawl; it's bad that they're bringing back loving terrible levels like Warioware or Jungle Japes. (Yoshi's Island is legit good though.)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The animal crossing stage is the worst one. Jesus christ

Gerudo Valley's background blew me up then blew up the other guy I was smashing, and my death animation took longer since I was spiraling into the background and they just flew off the side so I won. Gerudo Valley's kind of stupid.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Okay I'm starting to see why Roslina is so drat amazing. It seems Sakurai took all the nerfings of disjointed hitboxes and made it into Luma which is dumb. It's basically Link's shield except better, and you effectively have double the jab range of most characters and even some sword characters.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
Jungle Japes is the best (funniest) stage in the game and I won't have anyone here besmirching its honor

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Waffleopolis posted:

So I was looking at the page 3 challenges and noticed the 50 hour Smash one, and the two that require a long distance of running ans jumping. Do CPUs in Smash count towards those goals? ALso, if I set all players to CPU and let it run overnight, does it count towards my total play time? I'm just doing the lazy bum method into getting the harder challenges.

Can't speak for the running and jumping ones, but as someone who has been doing this exact thing: Yes, this works. Well, it works if you have player 1 set to human and the rest CPU, dunno if a four CPU battle would count. Don't go for a full 99 lives match with level 1 CPUs though, or you'll wake up and find they all still have like thirty lives.

For running I actually just made a custom Sonic with the best speed equipment I could find, went to Smash Run and ran back and along the top of the map for two matches before unlocking it. The same would theoretically work for jumping, but I unlocked that one naturally.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I wish you could play it online like a normal modern video game

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Either no one has a good connection or nobody plays For Fun because I never get a game going. The only mode that works online is 1v1 For Glory. It's fine until there's a streak of nothing but Little Mac players.

I have no idea why Smash Run isn't online. The meat of the mode doesn't even need the online part since you can't interact with the other players. It's something that can't do with the Wii U version (unless you have it support multiple Wii pads but you can't buy those in bulk) and ruined it.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I just wish there was an endless version of the Smash Run stage, just to dick around in.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Omega Mode should turn every stage into a 'simple' version of itself instead of Final Destination.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Smash Run is lots of fun, but for the life of me I can't figure out why it isn't online. The bulk of your playtime is about as synced up as a vs game of Tetris.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I think Smash 3DS' stages are really strong when they land, and it has some of my favorite stages in the series, but they just wind up kind of mediocre when they don't. I don't think there's any awful stages, there's just 'kind of meh' stages hat could've used more work.

The good stages are great. Dream Land is the best stage in the series, Mute City is actually a pretty unique take on an F-Zero stage, Magicant is nowhere near as dense as I thought it would be and is actually really nice, Paper Mario's only problem is that it's three good stages fighting over the spotlight, the Unova Pokemon League is basically Spear Pillar But Good, Tomodachi Life is simplistic and fun to play on... The stages I like in this game I REALLY like.

But there isn't an Icicle Mountain or 75M level of 'bad', just things that could really be improved with a little work. The Yellow Devil needs to turn up on Wily Castle less often, Pac-Maze needs to have a point to its gimmick, Gerudo Valley needs to make it a bit more clear what it's doing, Reset Bomb Forest needs a bit of a more cohesive arena since it's got New Pork's disparate platforming, Gaur Plains needs anything since it feels really empty...

I don't even hate the stages that are bad. I dreaded some parts of playing through Brawl; going up against a Donkey Kong or Mother enemy in Classic or All-Star was the most dreadful experience, because there was no chance of an enjoyable fight there. I don't even mind playing on my least favorite stage in this one, though, I'd just prefer to fight somewhere else.

EDIT: It might just be because I don't go into a frothing rage at the sight of walkoffs, though.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Oct 9, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Dream Land is the best stage in the series
I too like fighting in an area the size of a thumbtack and getting ko'd at 50%

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waffleopolis posted:

I just wish there was an endless version of the Smash Run stage, just to dick around in.

Seriously, I wouldn't mind just running around and killing poo poo in Smash Run and seeing how much stuff I could farm before all of my stocks are taken or something. I like killing the various enemies and walking around the big-rear end maze, the stuff after it is kinda boring.

F. Lobot posted:

Omega Mode should turn every stage into a 'simple' version of itself instead of Final Destination.

This.

Endorph posted:

I too like fighting in an area the size of a thumbtack and getting ko'd at 50%

Uhhh... you're thinking of Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland actually has huge blast zones.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Sire Oblivion posted:

Uhhh... you're thinking of Fountain of Dreams, Dreamland actually has huge blast zones.

Drem Land feels a lot smaller than it is, since unlike with Flat Zone the stage actually does exist outside of the 'screen's' dimensions (you're not in magnifying-glass range until after you've left the Game Boy's borders as well).

The thing more likely to kill you is actually that Dream Land has surprisingly deadly pits, especially compared to stages like Mushroomy Kingdom.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

quote:

Pic of the day. Here's the Trophy Shop for the Wii U version. It operates identically to the 3DS version, but it sure has a different feel, doesn't it?

Website updated with Dark Pit and the Doc too

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Dr.Mario's cure-all suppository.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

• Locked thread