Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I see you have the same issue with getting a photo that doesn't look like your budgies are in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah. :v: That's temporary, once we're letting them out of the cage regularly, we'll be able to take free-range photos.

Also: I had no idea budgies generate so much lift with their wings. The cage is good meter behind me and a down feather just floated in front of my nose. :stare:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

chthonic bell posted:

Yeah. :v: That's temporary, once we're letting them out of the cage regularly, we'll be able to take free-range photos.

I look forward to them.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

chthonic bell posted:

Also: I had no idea budgies generate so much lift with their wings. The cage is good meter behind me and a down feather just floated in front of my nose. :stare:

If your using a phone, smoosh the camera in-between the bars. Works on Karl's cage.

Parrot gif:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Naw, we have a proper camera. Our phones take potato-quality pictures, sadly. Karl also probably has bigger spaces between the bars. :v:

He's a cutie, by the way. I eventually want a grey, one day. Or an army of cockatiels.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

N17R4M posted:

Parrot gif:

This is hilarious because that happens in the first half of the video and for the rest of it, it looks like the parrot murdered the violinist.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

chthonic bell posted:

Karl also probably has bigger spaces between the bars. :v:

Possibly.

quote:

I eventually want an army of cockatiels.

Better.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sometimes my scritches just don't hit the right spot and Ama takes matters into his own claws.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sekkira posted:

This is hilarious because that happens in the first half of the video and for the rest of it, it looks like the parrot murdered the violinist.

Pissed off birds look so close to extremely interested and curious birds if you aren't super familiar with them. I've seen that clip a bunch and I still can't tell if the parrots is laying the feathers on it's head flat and is actually super annoyed at this violin thing, or if it's puffed up and just curious. I don't know how much maximum poof the feathers on that bird can achieve so I don't know if they're currently up or down :downs:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
It's some sort of Amazon (maybe a Yellow-shouldered?) and I'm pretty sure it HATES the violin. Head feathers on an Amazon can get much poofier than that when it's just excited.

Found a link to the description of the attack plus the video:

http://www.violinist.com/blog/dabdoub/201212/14215/

quote:

A horrible painful experience that require plastic surgery.

Watching the video it is pretty hard to tell before the attack that that is what the bird is going to do, but all the signs are there to be very careful. Getting that close to the bird while playing the violin (with the bird getting that interested/excited/angry about it) was a bad idea.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 7, 2014

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

I can tell but mostly because I lived with two amazons for awhile and now have one of my own. Now that I think of it that particular rageout seems pretty specific to amazons.

Oh and in the video the bird climbs back up the cage while chanting "You fell down!" :3

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So I've got an egg on the floor of the cockatiel cage. I'm pretty sure it's anaïs because she's been kinda horny lately but they're all just ignoring it and honestly seem kinda scared of it. Should I take it out now or leave it for a while?

shuriken
Dec 2, 2002
Leave it for a little while - if you remove her eggs before she's done laying she'll probably just produce more to compensate, which isn't good because it takes a lot of calcium and nutrients to make them. Typical cockatiel clutches are ~3-6 eggs.

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011
Ugh bird. Why do you insist on eating directly off my dinner plate when I am literally offering you the exact same foods, on your own plate!
I think Milly tries harder than most birds to get dirty because she's perfectly white. Whether it's neon pink medicine all over her feathers, dive bombing my spaghetti and meat balls, or dragging her tail feathers through the inky newsprint- she's always more colours than intended.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
The parrots are weaned, but only 10 weeks old. Should I be feeding them Harrison's juvenile formula or adult formula? Also: how long does a 1 lb bag of Harrison's last?

Waffle Grid
Apr 22, 2009

You think someone would do that, go on the internet and lie?
:smithfrog:

Wrecking Ball posted:

Ugh bird. Why do you insist on eating directly off my dinner plate when I am literally offering you the exact same foods, on your own plate!
I think Milly tries harder than most birds to get dirty because she's perfectly white. Whether it's neon pink medicine all over her feathers, dive bombing my spaghetti and meat balls, or dragging her tail feathers through the inky newsprint- she's always more colours than intended.

I have exactly the same issue with my cockatiel. Only food out of a serving bowl or someone else's plate will do! Once you take the thing off your plate that he was munching on and give it to him, it becomes undesirable and he walks away. Unless it's something like a delicious noodle, those are never not wanted.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, uh, on partner's recommendation, I suppose I should ask for help on our situation:

Here's the problem: we have no loving clue what to feed our young budgies and we don't have a lot of money, a lot of freezer space or a lot of space in general, what should we be getting?

The breeder had us buy a bag of seeds and a can of grit, which is apparently what he was feeding his aviary birds, but obviously there's a lot of controversy around grit and seeds aren't the best for pet birds. We are completely clueless, here.

Also, one of our budgies is noticeably bigger than the other and I'm a little worried about that. Is Hubris fat? Or is Gnosis a runt?

EDIT: the grit we have is, as far as I can tell, bits of bark and calcium fragments from cuttlefish.

painted bird fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 8, 2014

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My Bird story by Me.

Last week I had no birds, now I have four. It's long story but involves much thought and planning on my part and then a birdnapping.

Saturday I took the children to the petshop to buy a budgie. My 10 year old daughter saw a crested finch and a canary who were best friends ever and whined me into getting them instead.

Yeh, so they didn't even make it into the lovely space I had prepared for them, they went straight into her room and now she has two adorable birds and I have a bid cage shaped blank space and no birds. Birds are happy and much loved, but just not by me.

So I decided to follow the original plan and get a budgie. I did not go back to that same pet shop, not sure if this was a mistake, the budgies they had were utterly glorious specimens all pretty and chilled out and whatnot. I went to have a look and see what the other pet shop in town had. What they had were a few young 'uns. One was a utterly mental blue one with a yellow head, he was zipping around the cage being all social and then getting upset when he was ignored. Only one who tolerated him was a white one with yellow feathers, I think, hard to tell with the moulting. Anyway, you would have to be very foolish to decide to bring home a obvious head case and his untidy friend instead of getting one of the regal pretty birds.

Now I need to decide on names, "scruffy" and "nutter" seem a bit unkind.

I'd take a photo but if I move the shreaking and flapping will start up yet again. I have a large cage, shop keeper tried to get me to buy two more budgies to go in it but nutter needs that extra space for the toys to keep him entertained and scruffy needs a spot for his swing so he can get some peace.

@chthonic bell The grit I have is grit. I believe it to be made form grounded up stones and it seems to have calcium in it from something as well. We have a cuttlefish and some block thing in there as well along with one of those seed on fat sticks. Because mine are young they are on the small bird seed, same stuff the canary has.

edit: One of my birds is noticeably bigger than the other, same brood(?) he just hatched a week earlier.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 8, 2014

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

I don't know about canaries and finches, but budgies do not need grit in their diet. Depending on what you read, it may or may not be harmful so I would err on the safe side and just not give it.

Most folks around here recommend pellet diets for parrots. Budgies are a bit of an exception- they can do well on seed or pellet diets, but if you feed seed make sure you find a high quality seed diet. I fed my budgie pellets (Zupreem Fruit Blend). It was difficult to switch her over to pellets. She only finally did because she learned from my other bird that pellets are food.

Harrison's is also a good pellet brand, but more expensive and sometimes harder to find.

I'm not too knowledgeable about which seed mixes are better than others, so hopefully someone else can chime in on that. I'd stay away from Kaytee products, because they seem to have some quality control issues and have had recalls in the past.

Pip pip pip fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 8, 2014

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

There was a cockatoo and a Senegal at some pet shop I went to today-the cockatoo danced and only talked when you had your back turned ("HELLO MATE!") and the Senegal ran up for scratches as soon as anyone so much as looked at her. I got some of her pin feathers for her and she was so soft and patient. drat burds

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sometimes my scritches just don't hit the right spot and Ama takes matters into his own claws.

Ahhhh :3: never stop posting about Ama!

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Does anybody else ever feel like you're playing some lighter version of single parenting with their parrot/s?

Maybe it's the way my bird literally screams like a child when she is upset or wants attention, or laughs along with people despite being unable to understand jokes. It just gets to feeling that way sometimes.

Sure, unlike a child I can shut my bird in a cage while I'm gone and she gets by fine (plus, the state is not going to arrest me). There are other, less dark comparisons I could make, but she is so much happier when I do not have to care for her alone. Even when I spent every moment at home and full weekends with the bird, she screams a lot if I walk away and is more difficult to manage or entertain for the first few hours I spend with her each day.
I love her, work with her every day, and wouldn't trade her for any of the concessions I make living with her. These are just general truths involved with caring for her.

I am living with a number of people of other people right now who lack bird experience, but love animals and have been eager to learn. After teaching them her routine and how to work with her safely, I've left them all to forge their own relations with each other.

It's going great. The bird is calm when I come home. She is more curious about her environment, and it is easier to modify and redirect her behavior. I can leave her alone, and she is more interested in toys and problem solving. She is even practicing new sounds! The larger the community I build for my bird the happier she is, and it doesn't hurt that I can count on her food and bedtime schedule being kept regular without my being there 24/7. She tolerates everyone, and even really likes a couple new people in record speed- weeks, not months of knowing them. They all get a kick out of knowing her too.

I would never elevate the status of caring for a bird to that of caring for a child, but the longer I live with Zippy the more I believe I could never do this right if I was alone.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
This morning, when uncovering my budgies' cage, my teal one, named Tokyo, decided it would be a good idea to bend down and start eating, or scrubbing off, the poop off the cement branch under him. :smith: I really hope I didn't just discover that he's eating poop.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
@lenswork that post reminded me very much of the want a pet duck blog/fair warning thing http://mrflapper.com/blog/want-a-pet-duck/

quote:

6. You won’t be able to take a vacation for the next 10-20+ years because there is no such thing as a duck sitter. You will realize this too late, when your vacation is already planned. Ducks require complicated care. Note: None of your friends or family wants to watch your duck while you are on vacation. They asked me to tell you that.

7. Ducks are more maintenance than the space shuttle. Bob Tarte wrote that line in his book, “Enslaved by Ducks.” Believe him. Don’t get a duck. Just read his book instead.

8. Ducks are extremely emotional. More emotional than cats or dogs. If you raise one duck and that duck depends on you, you cannot leave that duck alone for even one day without that duck missing you and getting upset/depressed/scared when you are gone. Don’t do that to a duck. Ducks need duck friends.

9. Ducks are time-consuming. They need twice-daily care, for at least 1/2 hour each time, every day of the year, rain or shine. They won’t thrive unless they get much more of your time than that. But that is the bare minimum amount of time required twice a day, every single day, without fail.

10. Ducks don’t believe you should have hobbies. Want to meet friends for dinner? Have to put your ducks away before dusk first. Want to have brunch on a Saturday? Need to clean the duck ponds first. Like to knit, sew, paint, listen to music, see movies, watch TV, play games, ride a bike? Forget it. Your sole hobby if you have a duck… is your duck. End of hobbies.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Woah, I am super confused by that quote about ducks. Is that if you plan to keep a single duck as an indoor pet or something? We have ducks and chickens that live outside, they are pretty happy and don't really require a lot of time and attention from us, but they have a flock of bird buddies to hang out with I guess.

Why would anyone want a single duck, that seems like a horrible idea :( Why would you get a duck if you live in an apartment? Ducks are so messy and disgusting, why would you ever want one inside your house... :psyduck:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yup people keep ducks as house pets with varying degrees of success. It was a trend started by Friends in the 90s after Chandler and Joey started keeping a duck and a chicken in their tiny new york apartment while they worked all day and hung out at a cafe/next door at night. Oddly this place was never covered in feathers or poo poo.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So no more eggs. Anaïs tried sitting on it for a while but appears to have given up. Archer and Ellie were knocking it back and forth to each other for like ten minutes. Guess they wanted to do some passing drills.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Warms~

http://imgur.com/gallery/bhycy

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Welp looks like I need to buy our sun conure his own macbook now.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Our budgies are not very active these past few days. :ohdear: Are they okay? Is it just that we've been waking up late and thus late in uncovering them? Or is something wrong?

They also haven't figured out the food and water dishes yet and I'm trying to think of ways to make them drink or at least notice the water dish. :(

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

chthonic bell posted:

They also haven't figured out the food and water dishes yet and I'm trying to think of ways to make them drink or at least notice the water dish. :(

Birds usually love water noise. Have you tried splashing your fingers in the water, at the expanse of making a bit of a mess? If you do it loud enough, you should know if they notice by seeing if they go into Maximum Fluff.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Hi guys. My green cheek's cage isn't in a great place to get much sun and he's scared of the outdoors, so I'm in the market for a full spectrum light so he can get vitamins and stuff. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that won't break the bank? I didn't see anything about them in the OP and this thread is huge.

In exchange, I offer a picture of my feathery little baby.

:3:

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax

StarMinstrel posted:

Birds usually love water noise. Have you tried splashing your fingers in the water, at the expanse of making a bit of a mess? If you do it loud enough, you should know if they notice by seeing if they go into Maximum Fluff.

That didn't work, but leaving a cup of water on the bottom of the cage did! They're drinking now, so all is well.

I suppose this signals we should get proper metal dishes for food and water and not the weird plastic things that came with the cage.

Also: I think the birds are trying to mimic the creak of the living room door's hinges. :kimchi:

Wrecking Ball
Jul 16, 2011

CrackSpider posted:

Hi guys. My green cheek's cage isn't in a great place to get much sun and he's scared of the outdoors, so I'm in the market for a full spectrum light so he can get vitamins and stuff. Does anyone have a recommendation for one that won't break the bank? I didn't see anything about them in the OP and this thread is huge.

In exchange, I offer a picture of my feathery little baby.

:3:

I just got a Featherbrite lightbulb a few weeks ago.

With shipping, it was around $30 canadian if I remember. They also provided a ton of bubblewrap and packaging so it didn't get busted in shipping.

I didn't buy an entire kit, just a bulb- you can put their lightbulbs into a regular lighting fixture. Mine is currently in a gooseneck desklamp. (Although the silver screw-in part of the lightbulb is huge and boxy, so I had a bit of a time finding a light fixture that the bulb fit into, they are out there.)

http://www.featherbrite.com/

Also your bird looks so smiley :)

Wrecking Ball fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 11, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
CrackSpider that is an adorable conure you've got there.

Anyone else's birds start molting like crazy in the past week?

Feathers everywhere, especially a bunch of old clipped wing feathers, coming out of both birds.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

CrackSpider your GCC looks like it was caught doing something it shouldn't have been

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Kenshin posted:

CrackSpider that is an adorable conure you've got there.

Anyone else's birds start molting like crazy in the past week?

Feathers everywhere, especially a bunch of old clipped wing feathers, coming out of both birds.

Oh God yes. My two cockatiels have been molting the last two weeks and those itty bitty feathers are everywhere in massive quantities.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Chiming in on the molting. Fuji's decided that now is a super great time to start molting and now there is birdfluff everywhere. He also won't let me take care of the old pin feathers on his head, so he looks really funny. just hold still and let me take care of you, bird! :argh:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My budgie babies are looking much tidier today, partly because of the moulting but partly because they have discovered that they can almost fit into their drinking water bowl. They also have names now my kids have made their minds up. The white one with yellow patches is tweety, the one that's turning a turquoise blue colour is cookie.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
I bought some broccoli for my budgies on a whim and they loved it! I didn't even have to mix it with seed for them to recognise it as food and start eating it. I'm pleased, I was worried they'd be picky over all vegetables, after tempting them with carrots didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

So Fuji's never really been much of a cuddler, he mostly likes to just play with things/try to destroy them with his beak, but today he discovered the joy of scritches. He doesn't quite get that he can't wrassle with my fingers and get scritches at the same time, but he loves them anyway. :kimchi:

APPROACHING MAXIMUM POOF

FluxFaun fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 13, 2014