Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I found most of the F/SN side funny, while the Tsukihime can be borderline creepy at times, but I didn't realize that bit was a Tokimemo reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
I'm home on time and streaming! Oh, and dating boys, I promise.

Chat and incidental gaming at the usual space:
http://twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

e: ok guys seriously? SERIOUSLY?

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Oct 10, 2014

Catalina
May 20, 2008

"That's a nice shirt, Goonko. I think my sexy grandma has one like it."

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

My guess: see through sleeves make it sexy, on the logic of see through equals sexy.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Mors Rattus posted:

My guess: see through sleeves make it sexy, on the logic of see through equals sexy.

Don't the Japanese have a thing about uncovered arms/shoulders being sexy? I've heard it's less scandalous for a girl to wear a short skirt in Japan than a sleeveless blouse but that could be complete bullshit :shrug:

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Well the stream didn't load when i tried to watch it yesterday.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.

Catalina posted:

It's a very good thing that we took the Flower Shop job, since it and the Coffee Shop are the only two jobs that raise Intelligence instead of tanking it.
According to this fansite http://www.tokimemo.gs/tokimeki/index.html the flower shop job actually LOWERS academics a little bit. At this point, the best place for Goonko to work in order to raise her academics would be the burger joint.

I love that the guy with the voice of the King of Braves is so afraid of ghosts. :allears:

Octolady posted:

Don't the Japanese have a thing about uncovered arms/shoulders being sexy? I've heard it's less scandalous for a girl to wear a short skirt in Japan than a sleeveless blouse but that could be complete bullshit :shrug:
I haven't heard of that before but that does make a lot of anime sense.

Chromius fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 12, 2014

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

Octolady posted:

I dunno if I'd call it sexy in the same way guys might go for cleavage in the West. It's more provocative in a vulgar way than sexy (you got me why). Even my mother in law tuts and frets if she finds out I went on a run wearing a tank top.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Aw, ran out of thread :f5:
This LP is so fun!
It even makes me want to play TMGS and I kinda hate Otome games :haw:

Although... why is there no option to mace the stranger (or even refuse him)? :gonk:

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

Chromius posted:

According to this fansite, http://tokimemo.gs/tokimeki/, the flower shop job actually LOWERS academics a little bit. At this point, the best place for Goonko to work in order to raise her academics would be the burger joint.
You've got it backwards. By this chart, the cafe and flower shop raise your Academics, and the burger shop drains it.

All the Stranger Danger stuff so far has been scripted events, if for some reason we wanted to do his route I'm pretty sure we'd have a choice about going on dates or not, similar to field trips with Icehouse.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

You've got it backwards. By this chart, the cafe and flower shop raise your Academics, and the burger shop drains it.
I think that the site you posted has spoilers for the DS version and the one I posted is for the PS2 version. Especially since the site I posted has tips on how to play the Valentine's mini-game using the control sticks:

tokimemo.gs Mini-game controls posted:

Keep rotating the stick until it moves in a full circle, then follow Tsukushi's next placard.

Chromius fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 12, 2014

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

All the Stranger Danger stuff so far has been scripted events, if for some reason we wanted to do his route I'm pretty sure we'd have a choice about going on dates or not, similar to field trips with Icehouse.

You can turn down field trips, or even go on them without feeling dirty and violated though. You don't even get to say "no, thank you" to stranger danger :(

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

I'm starting to plan for the next Tokimemo run, since the current playthrough (not the translation/posting, I'm way behind on that) is nearing its end.

Here's the poll:

Which Tokimemo is next?

Note that my current plan for Girl's Side 2 is to pick it up for PS2. It's much easier for me to capture from PS2 than from a DS, especially since I don't own a DS anymore. If someone has a better suggestion that is both affordable and legal, I'm willing to listen!

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
I hope you get a new avatar one day, that face is disturbing to look at when i'm lacking sleep.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dating Kamen Rider is the only true option.

...but I was really tempted to go for the troll vote, I admit.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Here I was expecting a TM4 option.

One troll vote from me, then, since I don't have a strong preference. Let the people decide!

If you own a 3DS, it will play DS games. Oh, but I guess it has region lock, huh? I would lend you my DS, but it has a dead pixel and the hinges are broken!

Catalina fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 13, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
We need to keep leading Hikari on.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Catalina posted:

One troll vote from me, then, since I don't have a strong preference. Let the people decide!

A vote for Hikari is a vote for justice. :colbert:

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

Catalina posted:

If you own a 3DS, it will play DS games. Oh, but I guess it has region lock, huh? I would lend you my DS, but it has a dead pixel and the hinges are broken!

Region lock on 3DS doesn't matter for DS games unless the DS game is actually a DSi game. I can (and do) play TMGS3 on my US 3DS. The problem is that making a 3DS capturable might not be worth it for sheep.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Catalina posted:

The problem is capturing video/stills from a DS, which requires specialized equipment and/or hardware modifications. I think most of my friends who've streamed DS games have used emulators.

As for a potential TM4 option, it's not the next game in the series! I'm gonna stick to chronological progression, so TM4 will be the last game in the LP.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 13, 2014

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

I'm voting GS2. None of the other guys here are worth a second glance. We'll get back to Hikari. Eventually.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Sheep, are you enjoying GS at all? Do you plan on playing it through even if it doesn't get picked? :allears:

You could emulate the translated GS2 and save yourself some work... The mini games would suck but you only play 1-2 routes for us anyway.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

CHiRAL posted:

Sheep, are you enjoying GS at all? Do you plan on playing it through even if it doesn't get picked? :allears:

It has its moments. Overall I'm enjoying myself, even though a few of the events we've seen have creeped me out. The little animations are extra-charming, which almost makes up for the majority of the capturable cast being awful. Here's my assessment of each character so far:

Would Marry:
Kazuma
Mizuki

Would be friends with:
Shiho
Wataru
Shiki (if Mizuki picks his clothes)
Tamami
Goro
[officially unmet Style boy]
[officially unmet Style friend]

Never want to see again:
Icehouse 01
Kei
Shiki (if he picks his own clothes)
[officially unmet Academics boy]
[Awful Engrish e-mail correspondence boy]

I'm calling the cops:
STRANGER DANGER

quote:

You could emulate the translated GS2 and save yourself some work... The mini games would suck but you only play 1-2 routes for us anyway.

It was an option I entertained, but I won't emulate unless I have the physical cartridge in hand or a receipt for the digital copy. It doesn't feel right otherwise (yeah, I'm one of those). I'm guessing that DS emulators are more advanced and easy to use than the Saturn and PlayStation emulators I tried out for the first Tokimemo, though.

Happy Blue
Oct 18, 2012
I'm voting for a second run of GS1, because I want to see us become best friends with Tamami when we're not her romantic rival. I'd also like to meet the rest of the girls; it's odd that every "friend" character we've met seems to be more interesting than the "romance" characters.

Why do you not want to see the teacher again? Does he do something super creepy later? Because I can see why you wouldn't want to date him, but so far all he's done is take us on field trips and lecture us about our grades, which is what he should be doing.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Sheep you had people offer you a physical DS copy of the game on several occasions! Take it and send it back when you're done LPing the patched rom.

Happy Blue posted:

Why do you not want to see the teacher again? Does he do something super creepy later? Because I can see why you wouldn't want to date him, but so far all he's done is take us on field trips and lecture us about our grades, which is what he should be doing.
Not to mention sternly turning us down, like a teacher should (Seriously stranger danger should be rotting in jail he creeps me out so much I can't even play through the game long enough to meet the boys we didn't see here why does he exist :saddowns:)

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Happy Blue posted:

I'm voting for a second run of GS1, because I want to see us become best friends with Tamami when we're not her romantic rival. I'd also like to meet the rest of the girls; it's odd that every "friend" character we've met seems to be more interesting than the "romance" characters.

It's not that I hate him. I have no opinion on him because he has nothing interesting to offer. This is what we've learned about him from 2.5 years of being around him: he's the teacher, and he's there to administer tests and tell people to act like adults. He's completely uninterested in social interaction, and, well, he's the kind of teacher where you complain about his homework and then promptly forget about his existence after high school.

So really he belongs in his own category of "just sorta there"

CHiRAL posted:

Sheep you had people offer you a physical DS copy of the game on several occasions! Take it and send it back when you're done LPing the patched rom.

Oh yeah, huh? I guess that'd work. DS emulators work pretty well, huh? (The Saturn one was awful).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

DesMuMe is an incredibly awesome emulator and has been for a while, so if you wanna go that route (which might lead to faster updates!), don't hesitate to try it!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DS emulation is pretty good, yeah. At least assuming you don't really care about the microphone, I've always found that to be awkward with emulators.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
PS and PS2 emulation also works pretty well. PS2 emulation may require beefy computer specs depending on the game, though, and there are issues emulating some games.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I hope you're not thinking of leaving your thread in the hands of fan translators, Sheep. :colbert:

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.

FractalSandwich posted:

I hope you're not thinking of leaving your thread in the hands of fan translators, Sheep. :colbert:

The game is fully voiced so he can snidely correct them as he goes :colbert:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

I would probably enough time comparing the Japanese to the translation and giving it the hairy eyeball that it wouldn't save me much time compared to doing it myself, it's true...

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
DS emulation has always bugged me since either you're stuck using the original resolution on your big PC screen, which just feels awkward, or you're scaling it up and dealing with terrible font scaling (depends on the game) and potentially ugly textures.

Also, no matter your PC, you'll get the random sound glitches and frame dips or drops you'd expect from an emulator that hasn't been super optimized on a per-game basis, which may or may not bug you a lot vs. just playing on the cart or, in this case, just using the PS2 version. DS emulation is nice in that you can play most things, but compared to PS2 emulation not much effort has been put into making it run cleanly since you get 0 benefit from emulating versus just playing on the cart or using a flashcart compared to being able to make PS2 games run/look better on PC.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Decus posted:

DS emulation has always bugged me since either you're stuck using the original resolution on your big PC screen, which just feels awkward, or you're scaling it up and dealing with terrible font scaling (depends on the game) and potentially ugly textures.

Hum. Well, I can always do a little test later on and see what works best - if the DS screenshots don't look good to me, I'll just swap back to PS2.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
This is a visual novel screenshot LP, who cares about slight video and sound skips!
Also check the translations before you decide they're bad! VN projects tend to be better proofed than something short and mostly visual like anime and manga.

Buncha Debbie Downers :arghfist::saddowns:

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
:confused: Will you still try to show us who we didn't see in Girls Side 1 :confused:

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

CHiRAL posted:

This is a visual novel screenshot LP, who cares about slight video and sound skips!
Also check the translations before you decide they're bad! VN projects tend to be better proofed than something short and mostly visual like anime and manga.

It was more the lower resolution of a DS, but your point is still taken. It's a personal thing, going from playing the games on a TV to playing them on a tiny window on my desktop is...

...actually how I've been playing the first Girl's Side anyway.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

My vote is for another run of Tokimemo 2 because the game's characters just seem more interesting and a little less archetypal than the guys in the Girl's Side games.

But I would like to see a run of Girl's Side 2 or 3 before moving onto Tokimemo 4.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster
Alright.

Sramaker fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that
If we do another run of GS1, are we allowed to vote for galpal endings instead? Because there's pretty much only one guy character I like in GS1 but I'm all onboard the Mizuki train.

• Locked thread