Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This loving show :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There were so many things in that episode that made me happy.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

VagueRant posted:

You are the voice of my brain.

So disappointed and annoyed with the episode. Hit us full on with the show's worst points - bad dialogue, predictable cliché story arcs (Oliver has to fight himself, Lance has to not overdo it, Brandon Routh is basically Isabel Rochev, etc.) and a lot of incredibly boring shipper fodder. Then to top it off, they kill off one of the best characters in a random way that kind of felt like a 'gently caress you'. :smith:

Yeah I agree most of that. A lot of it just felt like forced soapy character drama. Don't get me wrong, I love character drama, but it has to actually be good. The breakneck pace of the show didn't serve the character drama well here, either. Sometimes that fast pace is good but sometimes it just makes developments feel messy, unearned, and under-developed.

One thing I disagree with was Routh, though, I thought he was quite fun and has a lot of potential.

And yeah, I really wish Sara wasn't killed off solely to serve as motivation for others in a scene where she had absolutely no agency of her own. If her target in Starling was the person who ended up killing her that'd at least sorta work, but it doesn't really make any sense based on the reaction she had to him.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm certain we're in store for a long story about why Sara was back in Star City, and how she fled/left/was granted leave from Nanda Parbat. I don't like her getting gutted just as much as the next fan, but I have faith that they've got a very long plan in place to justify her death.

Also, Thea totally did it.

Also also, a friend reminded me that I totally did the "no wait man, it'll totally make sense!" shuffle when they killed off Shado last year.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Haven't seen anyone mention Palmers pitch about renaming Starling City - Star City. DC are pulling their heads out their asses it seems

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Senerio posted:

We have an ex-league member who presumably recognized her, and his new protege who are also suspects. (I suspect Thea myself.)
Would Barrowman/Thea know her identity?

XboxPants posted:

One thing I disagree with was Routh, though, I thought he was quite fun and has a lot of potential.
Yeah, the character was fun (a much more positive energy compared to Summer Glau as an ice queen), but my problem was that the dramatic beats there were pretty much a rehash of the previous storyline of a hotshot charming executive playing nice and then sweeping Ollie's metaphorical legs out from under him.

Rocksicles posted:

Haven't seen anyone mention Palmers pitch about renaming Starling City - Star City. DC are pulling their heads out their asses it seems
I was a little distracted there, but was genuinely confused about whether he was talking about relocating (didn't remember that The Flash is Central City) OR rebranding an entire city. Don't understand your heads-up-asses comment though. Comics thing?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Wait.. Ray Palmer shows up and a female character dies?

Who invited Jen Loring to the party?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the Comics it's always been Star City - Green Arrow's City. They renamed it Starling City for the show. It's a step closer for The Arrow to become The Green Arrow.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Starling sounds better though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Pretty disappointing episode apart from the ending. Not sure why they felt a need to rush a bunch of storylines to the point where they made little sense. But i expect them to be back to normal form next week. Ray Palmer was kinda obnoxious, but i felt the same thing about Barry Allen on the show, perhaps i just don't get the shows attempt at being funny with these characters.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
I think that if you're frustrated and disappointed that a character died on a TV show then the writers are doing their job well.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I do think that Brandon Routh's character had a point with Oliver being a poo poo CEO. He didn't pay any attention to his company last year, and look where that got him.

I'm not a doctor, but didn't Lance suffer from internal bleeding in the finale? I'm a little unclear on what exactly is wrong with him, and how that leads to him pill-popping and having heart issues.

It sure was nice of Lance to say "never mind all the second-degree murders the Arrow committed, let's let bygones be bygones." I'm not sure he could really get away with that.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Stayne Falls posted:

I think that if you're frustrated and disappointed that a character died on a TV show then the writers are doing their job well.

Haha, no. I was not frustrated or disappointed when they killed off Tommy. Nor when they killed off Moira, who at least went out like a loving champion. I mean, Sara didn't even get a good death. Moira and Tommy both got to do something awesome that showed their characters at their pinnacle before they died. Sara comes back after getting, if not a happy ending, then at least a resolution to her storyline, to take out a nameless goon, have a pep talk with Ollie and Laurel, and get chumped from behind? Bull. poo poo.

Good writing draws you in. It's entirely possible for good writing to invoke frustration and disappointment, like, say, when a character repeatedly makes bad decisions (Oliver! :argh:), because you're frustrated with the character, which means you're absorbed in the story. But when you're frustrated and disappointed with the story itself, that necessarily means you've been taken out of the story and distanced from the characters and their actions.

To put it another way, good writing is like good magic. It's all trickery and illusion, but if you do it right, no one will care that they're being fooled. That's why people go to magic shows. A magician that frustrates or disappoints his audience is not a very good magician, because it means he can't even trick people who want to be fooled.

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 9, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, the character was fun (a much more positive energy compared to Summer Glau as an ice queen), but my problem was that the dramatic beats there were pretty much a rehash of the previous storyline of a hotshot charming executive playing nice and then sweeping Ollie's metaphorical legs out from under him.

That's not what happened at all.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I do think that Brandon Routh's character had a point with Oliver being a poo poo CEO. He didn't pay any attention to his company last year, and look where that got him.

I couldn't realistically see the board rehiring the guy who last time he was the boss, never even bothered showing up to work. He doesn't even have any real skill in business. Hell, I have a hard time buying that a bank would be willing to fund his bid anyways.

Uldor
Feb 23, 2009

Gear... Fourth!
Isn't Walter the CEO or something to that effect of the bank now which might explain it?

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Stayne Falls posted:

Not if the reason you are frustrated and disappointed is that the death was poorly written

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think the irredeemable murderer dying in an alley is just fine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Oliver sucked as CEO last time it happened so it's pretty reasonable to not want him back.

So they said they couldn't use Ted Kord and I'm wondering if it was just that someone decided it would be a bad idea to introduce multiple new characters who have the same first name. Seeing as they're using Ted "Wildcat" Grant as well.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
My long shot prayer - Laurel gets handicapped trying to become Black Canary and is turned into Oracle. Felicity becomes Canary.

looooong shot

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

hangedman1984 posted:

Not if the reason you are frustrated and disappointed is that the death was poorly written

Just because it's a shocking sucker punch death doesn't mean it was poorly written. I think the only reason y'all are saying that is because there was 0 resolution afterward. We should probably reserve judgment till the next episode at least.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm so happy that people are acting like weirdos about Laurel in the Arrow thread. Again.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Stayne Falls posted:

Just because it's a shocking sucker punch death doesn't mean it was poorly written. I think the only reason y'all are saying that is because there was 0 resolution afterward. We should probably reserve judgment till the next episode at least.

My fault, never meant to imply this death was poorly written, just that there are reason to be upset at a TV death that don't mean the writers did a great job

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Spergatory posted:

Haha, no. I was not frustrated or disappointed when they killed off Tommy. Nor when they killed off Moira, who at least went out like a loving champion. I mean, Sara didn't even get a good death. Moira and Tommy both got to do something awesome that showed their characters at their pinnacle before they died. Sara comes back after getting, if not a happy ending, then at least a resolution to her storyline, to take out a nameless goon, have a pep talk with Ollie and Laurel, and get chumped from behind? Bull. poo poo.

You should watch Sarah Connors Terminator and see what they do with one of the main characters in that.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
This loving show :stare: I'm so glad it's back. :neckbeard:

Senerio posted:

I think it was Thea.

Same.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Has anyone else noticed that ever since Arrow, it seems like every second show out there starts with a 'My name is...' voiceover from the main character? Flash is a spinnoff, so that's ok, but then Forever did it, and Scorpion, and it seems like a whole bunch of shows.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Ha I missed the last 2 minutes or so and figured it wasn't anything big. I saw Sara taking to Laurel and mentioned that she didn't want their dad to know she was in town. My guess was she name checked Ras and it ended.

When I saw the reactions I knew I missed something big. Didn't expect that!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

So they said they couldn't use Ted Kord and I'm wondering if it was just that someone decided it would be a bad idea to introduce multiple new characters who have the same first name. Seeing as they're using Ted "Wildcat" Grant as well.

No, they can't use Ted Kord because DC/WB have other plans for him (presumably an upcoming DC film).

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Rocksicles posted:

You watch Felray become a thing now, Tumblr does love a good name merge

Raylicity. :colbert:

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Himuro posted:

I am so mad at the Oliver x Felicity thing. They had to go an ruin a good thing and that being a woman character who isn't the goddamn romantic interest. God loving dammit.

I love it. He didn't make that end, she did. They took the "Hero has to protect his woman by not being with her" thing and turned it into "No, I deserve better than this. We're done."

Also liked the death - she essentially said "I'm here to murder someone" and then got killed by arrows. Murderer gets put down by archer is kinda the show - but it's flipped around so the archer isn't the one we're supposed to root for and the target is someone we're supposed to like.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Phylodox posted:

Raylicity. :colbert:

Barr-icity :colbert:

I don't care that they are on different shows and would burn out having to film that many crossover appearances :v:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

aBagorn posted:

I don't care that they are on different shows and would burn out having to film that many crossover appearances :v:

I'm not saying I want Ray and Felicity to get together, just providing an obviously superior portmanteau.

Besides, *Flash spoilers* the preview of upcoming Flash episodes showed Barry and Felicity making out, so that's a thing that is definitely going to happen.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

aBagorn posted:

That's a pretty high Felocity pairing!

Eh? Eh?

I'll show myself out.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Indeed, she's gonna be Barrying the needle.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

How does the CEO of a company have enough power to literally rename a city? I don't care how multi-billion it is, isn't that something that only the mayor and the government can do?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

eNeMeE posted:

Also liked the death - she essentially said "I'm here to murder someone" and then got killed by arrows. Murderer gets put down by archer is kinda the show - but it's flipped around so the archer isn't the one we're supposed to root for and the target is someone we're supposed to like.
I hope so, because without the context of her being killed, it was kinda done just for shock value. I can see the validity of it, so hopefully the writers will do right by it. Sara was a certified assassin again so it stands to reason her target knew she was coming and stopped her or got someone to do it. I can only assume LoA wasn't behind it but it will draw out Nyssa and Ras to Starling City as a result, I guess.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Sober posted:

I hope so, because without the context of her being killed, it was kinda done just for shock value. I can see the validity of it, so hopefully the writers will do right by it. Sara was a certified assassin again so it stands to reason her target knew she was coming and stopped her or got someone to do it. I can only assume LoA wasn't behind it but it will draw out Nyssa and Ras to Starling City as a result, I guess.

This is actually a good point. This could be the catalyst for Nyssa and eventually Ra's to come to Starling City and set off the events that we suspect are coming down the line.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Some Numbers posted:

This is actually a good point. This could be the catalyst for Nyssa and eventually Ra's to come to Starling City and set off the events that we suspect are coming down the line.

That would make a lot of sense. If it was Thea then it could be :argh: trying to get Ra and Team Arrow to kill each other off, or at least weaken them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm willing to eat my words in a few weeks, but until proven otherwise, I'm sticking with "Not Thea or Merlyn."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Callin' it now.

It was Hawkeye.

• Locked thread