Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

ja2ke posted:

I was mostly goofing around, but they were also using the exact same logo to treatment unadorned for both Wii U and 3ds for almost all of development, to the best of my memory.

If I remember right, Nintendo actually had to come out and say the real name for the game is Super Smash Bros. for 3DS because everyone thought it was a working title. If they named it NEW Super Smash Bros. everything would have gone smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

I still don't fathom why they didn't just give the games a proper new title. Just call them Super Smash Bros. Rumpus or something and avoid the confusion.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

SUPER SMASH BROTHERS HULLABALOO

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Vastakaiun posted:

I still don't fathom why they didn't just give the games a proper new title. Just call them Super Smash Bros. Rumpus or something and avoid the confusion.
Nintendo is very insistent about terminology in my limited experience, so I could see it being them wanted people to refer to the game as Smash Bros. and not just the subtitle (cf. Brawl, Melee). I seem to recall one of the consoles they were very adamant about the naming convention - I want to say it was the Wii (that is to say, not the Nintendo Wii, just the Wii), because I definitely remember they did not want the term Wiimote used in any official capacity (idiots).

Oh poo poo you know while we're talking about Nintendo being dumb about names, why the hell wouldn't you call the "New 3DS" either the 3DSi or the 3DS Advance?

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

Nintendo is very insistent about terminology in my limited experience, so I could see it being them wanted people to refer to the game as Smash Bros. and not just the subtitle (cf. Brawl, Melee). I seem to recall one of the consoles they were very adamant about the naming convention - I want to say it was the Wii (that is to say, not the Nintendo Wii, just the Wii), because I definitely remember they did not want the term Wiimote used in any official capacity (idiots).

You might be thinking of how Nintendo wanted the Gamecube to be abbreviated as GCN rather than GC or NGC. You can't go stepping on the NeoGeo(Pocket) Colors turf.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The GCN thing is weird because GameCube (I see Apple's auto correct ensures the Cube is capitalized) is abbreviated as NGC in Japan where the actual Neo Geo has more of a presence.

But yes, Nintendo is very picky about their terrible names. It is the Wii, do not attach a Nintendo before it. On the opposite end you have Sony who basically gave up trying to fight the PSX moniker which is still used today.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It's on Netflix and Hulu.

After listening to the episode I realise how silly my post sounds. Do any uk people have experience with either of these services? I remember the last time I looked (ages ago) they were both severely limited versions of the US one and not really worth it.

dsub
Jul 10, 2003

Always bet on Nashwan
It's also on amazon instant, at least in the UK. HD too, just watched the pilot for the first time in ages and eagerly awaiting the 'cast. Hot Coops.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jippa posted:

After listening to the episode I realise how silly my post sounds. Do any uk people have experience with either of these services? I remember the last time I looked (ages ago) they were both severely limited versions of the US one and not really worth it.

They are, but you can use a VPN and get access to the U.S. version without much trouble.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014

Hakkesshu posted:

They are, but you can use a VPN and get access to the U.S. version without much trouble.

is VPN only needed to register on the site, or you need to stream thru VPN as well, in which case isnt connection speed kinda poo poo for that?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Gesadt posted:

is VPN only needed to register on the site, or you need to stream thru VPN as well, in which case isnt connection speed kinda poo poo for that?
No, you need to stream it through VPN as well, at least for Hulu, but I get decent speeds all the way over here in East Asia, so I can't imagine it'll be too big a problem unless you're in, like, New Zealand or South Africa or something.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I get that it was done mostly in the name of good radio, but the fact that they had to explain how the Worms games work in the most recent Thumbs makes me feel way old. I played the gently caress out of Armageddon 10ish years ago, and this copy I have on Steam keeps staring at me.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

C-Euro posted:

I get that it was done mostly in the name of good radio, but the fact that they had to explain how the Worms games work in the most recent Thumbs makes me feel way old. I played the gently caress out of Armageddon 10ish years ago, and this copy I have on Steam keeps staring at me.

You know, like GORILLAS.BAS.

<blank stare>

Like Scorched Earth?

<blank stare>

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I was mostly impressed/he-chose-poorly'd that Jake mentioned ancient classic Mac game Cannon Fodder.

I grew up with pretty much only access to Macs at home so one day I would love to hear a podcast about the Mac shareware scene of the 90s. There are so many weird little games that were made for the Mac that were so niche that nobody would know what the hell you were talking about if you brought up System's Twilight or TaskMaker or poo poo there was this one that was kind of like Zelda that I can't even remember the name of anymore.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

I was mostly impressed/he-chose-poorly'd that Jake mentioned ancient classic Mac game Cannon Fodder.

Huh, I didn't even know that one came out on Mac. You're talking about the Sensible Software classic right? I have no idea how it relates to Worms, really.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Osmosisch posted:

Huh, I didn't even know that one came out on Mac. You're talking about the Sensible Software classic right? I have no idea how it relates to Worms, really.

Urh, they both started out as Amiga games.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

You bastards.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Osmosisch posted:

I haven't listened to that episode, but I hope he brought up the theme music, because it's sweet as hell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fl1pCPb504

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

moller posted:

You know, like GORILLAS.BAS.

<blank stare>

Like Scorched Earth?

<blank stare>

Why has nobody made updates to either of these, is what I wonder. I would kill for a remake of Scorched Earth that worked exactly the same but had, like, decent spritework or something. Have Paul Robertson do it, put it on steam for ten bucks, blammo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Why has nobody made updates to either of these, is what I wonder. I would kill for a remake of Scorched Earth that worked exactly the same but had, like, decent spritework or something. Have Paul Robertson do it, put it on steam for ten bucks, blammo

I wonder the same thing especially with voxels and procedural generation being in vogue. You could have a play-by-email game of trading artillery fire while the landscape crumbles around you.

Get a Return Fire and Castle of the Winds remake, might as well round out the list of games everyone played as a kid but can't remember today.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember we'd hold tournaments of Scorched Earth in elementary and middle school. poo poo was amazing, simple, and incredibly fun.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember we'd hold tournaments of Scorched Earth in elementary and middle school. poo poo was amazing, simple, and incredibly fun.

We played a lot of Soldat in school for the same reason.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Randallteal posted:

I haven't listened to that episode, but I hope he brought up the theme music, because it's sweet as hell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fl1pCPb504

The Cannon Fodder Jake was talking about looked like this:

It had no music, barely any sound but God damnit we liked it.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I think everyone played some variant on that game as a kid in the late 80s / early 90s.

For me, since all my computer games were copies of shareware games my dad and his friends traded at work, it was EGA-Bomb.

Ditto, no music, limited sound. But the most satisfying noise when you did hit your opponent dead-on.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

Urh, they both started out as Amiga games.

Yeah, that's what was confusing me. Thankfully Al! cleared it up.

Editing gorillas.bas was one of my most fun early programming experiences. And so much time lost to scorch...man. Good times.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Captain Invictus posted:

Worms is kind of this already though. An even closer modern analog to scorched earth is the Korean MMO Gunbound, which you should never, ever play under any circumstances.

Heck, "Artillery Game" has a wikipedia page. The page also points out that angry birds owes a lot to these games, which would make it far and away the most successful game in the "choose angle/choose velocity" genre.

moller fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 14, 2014

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

So who else is looking forward to stories of the hell on earth that is LAX in this weeks episode of Idle Thumbs?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope Ebola replaces terrorism as the government's boogieman. We might see positive results from their fear mongering and its resulting legislation.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
There's a really good hot-seat multiplayer Android artillery game I used to play on the bus all the time, called Jelly Wars, it would take like 10 seconds to find a random player to match with, and matches only took a couple minutes tops. They allow IAPs for costumes and super bullets and armor, but I've never run into someone who'd paid for the extra health who could shoot their way out of a paper bag.

What I'd really like to see a remake of would be that old arcade cabinet game "Rampart," that was like playing speed-tetris with a rollerball between shots at your opponent.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 14, 2014

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
poo poo that artillery game was shareware everything on every computer I used as a kid from my 486 on. poo poo was just called Tank Wars.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I hope Ebola replaces terrorism as the government's boogieman. We might see positive results from their fear mongering and its resulting legislation.

No, it'll just turn into xenophobia and hyperbole about unclean foreigners specifically Africans. The comments I heard during the SARS outbreak were truly disgusting and you still get the occasional "black people have AIDS because they hosed monkeys."

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

al-azad posted:

No, it'll just turn into xenophobia and hyperbole about unclean foreigners specifically Africans. The comments I heard during the SARS outbreak were truly disgusting and you still get the occasional "black people have AIDS because they hosed monkeys."

Yeah, you're right. That was just a moment of hopeful thinking but I came crashing down to reality after I posted that.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 14, 2014

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

al-azad posted:

I literally heard this exact thing last night. I work in the water business, and DHH issued a statement regarding Ebola and water to address concerns from water utilities and/or their customers. The guy read the statement, and it went from "oh like hiv" to "shouldn't have been loving monkeys" in like 5 seconds. I almost got whiplash.

The south is a great and horrible place to live.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I was talking with someone about my impending flight to Portland, and this was their advice: "If you're seated next to someone from Africa, ask to be moved. You never know."

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Song For The Deaf posted:

I was talking with someone about my impending flight to Portland, and this was their advice: "If you're seated next to someone from Africa, ask to be moved. You never know."

If you sit next to someone on the plane who says this, ask to be moved.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Hey, you never know if you might end up getting freaky and joining the mile high club with that person!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

I like that someone was ignorant enough to think that any black people would be heading to Oregon.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Which other gaming podcasts is most like Idle Thumbs (& also recorded in a studio with decent audio quality)? I'm looking to add something to my rotation, but it usually takes so long to get into another podcast so I want to make sure I get it right.

e: Any bets on how long it'll be before the Idle Thumbs-Twin Peaks podcast is abandoned? I say they'll make it through the first four-five episodes before scheduled podcasting breaks down, then we'll have an intermittent decline as the Firewatch release creeps closer.

Mierenneuker posted:

Hey, you never know if you might end up getting freaky and joining the mile high club with that person!

:confused:

Boatswain fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 14, 2014

Fishticky
Apr 3, 2013
Important update for Gary:

SJW wordfiltered to skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty