Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
A guy playing Sultai Delve cast Wealth on me for 4 earlier tonight on MODO, he got to take a Fabled Hero, Battlewise Hoplite, and put Aqueous Form on his Nemesis of Mortals.

Then I just put a Stratus Walk on my own Fabled Hero and killed him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

You know Saito posted a list for that, right? With Dictate of Karametra?

I got to watch it tear a Junk Constellation deck to shreds. You have no instant-speed interaction and all your permanents have highly synergistic ETB triggers? :getin:

Man, that's just cruel.

Cernunnos posted:

Wish they'd made some Enchantment Lands. I know it probably would have been a bad idea but still.

Honestly, they probably wouldn't have been that bad if they entered in tapped. It gives constellation a bump but also have timing issues and a variety of removal out and ready.

But yeah, it's going to be years before we ever even touch that.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LordSaturn posted:

You know Saito posted a list for that, right? With Dictate of Karametra?

I got to watch it tear a Junk Constellation deck to shreds. You have no instant-speed interaction and all your permanents have highly synergistic ETB triggers? :getin:

I didn't actually(I don't really follow Constructed Magic anymore), but that sounds fun.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ramos posted:

Return to Theros! :shepface:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Return to Theros! :shepface:
The gods have torn Theros right up and Sorin is here to fix it!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Yawgmoth posted:

The gods have torn Theros right up and Sorin is here to fix it!

I'd accept "Ajani and Elspeth are pissed and destroy Theros' entire pantheon", honestly.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Niton posted:

I'd accept "Ajani and Elspeth are pissed and destroy Theros' entire pantheon", honestly.

Also, Xenagos pops in with them and we have Naya Superfriends VS The Pantheon.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

A friend bought a heist of saint Traft a week ago when apparently people went crazy and listed them for $100 on TCG. And apparently my friend was dumb and bought it.

I had to break the bad news to him just now when he texted me about it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Niton posted:

Hey man, Nylea is pretty chill! <:mad:>

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Chill la Chill posted:

heist of saint Traft

Want dis card name in Return to Innistrad

But seriously, what am I reading about here? Your friend decided to buy a Geist from a position of complete ignorance about the card's value or price history, saw that the lowest price was $100 and went for it anyway? Or the price was spiking because of a frenzy of hype and your friend was part of the frenzy?

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 9, 2014

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

JerryLee posted:

Dack Fayden finding his way onto more cards.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Always mull, kids. Always mull.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I Love You! posted:

Always mull, kids. Always mull.

It was going to be a tough match anyway.

Also, have you actually seen Retribution of the Ancients perform well in play? (you mentioned it during drafting)

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Rinkles posted:

It was going to be a tough match anyway.

Also, have you actually seen Retribution of the Ancients perform well in play? (you mentioned it during drafting)

Oh my god yes. It can utterly take over a game, many decks have literally 0 outs to that card + a handful of outlast guys you'd be playing anyway. T1 ancestor, t2 grow, t3 retribution of the ancients is pretty much the scariest opening you will see. Unless you have a ton of fast removal that hits ancestors and all their friends over and over you are not going to get to play any mans.

It's especially silly because 1 activation lets you pull any number of counters from any number of guys, so you don't even have to leave much mana open to make it scary as hell.

And yeah, I kept that hand out of obstinance, but also because I think he was the only temur player at the table based on what wheeled and he had a ridiculous deluge of powerful cards, and while I couldn't be certain any given hand would have much game against his extremely good deck I figured the opener I had was actually quite strong IF i pulled a single mountain at any point in the game, and was worth the gamble. Unfortunately, that didn't pan out but it was a lot harder of a call than I made it out to be.

Getting hit by Temur Charm, Trap Essense, Temur Charm on successive turns followed by Bear Companion into Savage Punch doesn't feel very good at all. That topdecked Temur charm after I Despised him the prior turn in G1 really put me on tilt especially since that was his second goddamn charm he drew in a row.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 9, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
One thing I guess I need to keep in mind while drafting is that people are still confusedly making poor choices with regards to overpicking fixing, ending up in a situation like that set where I had a very high quality set of cards in my wedge but 1 fixing land despite grabbing any fixing I saw at that point. At least one, if not two people across the table from me sent pretty clear signals passing easy pickups on color and we all probably ended up with worse decks as a result. Even more reason to keep my deck as 2color as possible initially until I see fixing or necessary bombs and not accidentally shred my own mana base due to poor signals.

At least considering I think I passed 2 on-color fixing the entire time, once to take a semi-bomb, I don't THINK I made a mistake with regards to it =/

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Oct 9, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

JerryLee posted:

But seriously, what am I reading about here? Your friend decided to buy a Geist from a position of complete ignorance about the card's value or price history, saw that the lowest price was $100 and went for it anyway? Or the price was spiking because of a frenzy of hype and your friend was part of the frenzy?

I'm guessing his friend bought the WMCQ foil participation promo

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jabor posted:

Dank Fiddy finding his way onto more cards.

He's already stolen my heart! They keep blue balling us - I want a Dark Fader card already!

I guess my friend thought it was a judge promo or something. He should've asked first! There were thousands of those things!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
You might want to get your doomwake giants soonish if you ever think you might play green/black or you want to make some cash next week. Its all over modo right now and SCG and channel fireball are suspiciously sold out(or they have taken them down). It might be nothing but if you can still sneak them out of the bulk rare bin in your local LGS it might be an okay investment.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Sickening posted:

You might want to get your doomwake giants soonish if you ever think you might play green/black or you want to make some cash next week. Its all over modo right now and SCG and channel fireball are suspiciously sold out(or they have taken them down). It might be nothing but if you can still sneak them out of the bulk rare bin in your local LGS it might be an okay investment.
Hopefully you're right, I have a ton of them in surplus along with the Eidolon of Blossoms if that becomes a thing.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If it means I can flip this old Pre-release Promo to pay for part of a Kahns Draft then by all means it can move out of the bulk bin A.S.A.Now.

Even if it only goes up to like $2-3 that still gets me a hell of a lot more than the 50 cents I would have gotten for trading it in.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

If it means I can flip this old Pre-release Promo to pay for part of a Kahns Draft then by all means it can move out of the bulk bin ASA Now.

Even if it only goes up to like $2-3 that still gets me a hell of a lot more than the 50 cents I would have gotten for trading it in.

I would assume that this close to the pro tour that both SCG and CB have their pros giving them a good idea of what the field is going to look like already and price accordingly. I mean gently caress, look at the god prices right now. Channel fireball has had most of the two colors gods on their buy list for a few weeks with some already reaching 20 bucks. Sarkhan may hit 50 loving dollars by Monday. loving magic is a weird thing.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ramos posted:

Honestly, they probably wouldn't have been that bad if they entered in tapped. It gives constellation a bump but also have timing issues and a variety of removal out and ready.

Maro just had a podcast on why there were no enchantment lands. He basically said "we can have constellation or enchantment lands, not both." Could you even imagine Doomwake Giant or Eidolon of Blossoms with enchantment lands?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

People would've just whined about "land destruction" had they been made.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Someone build this and name it Nega-Wave

cmon man this is easy poo poo. Nemesis Wave.

also the wave seems pretty good in a control-style deck as a one-of finisher. Of course with control being as bad as it is right now...

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

mcmagic posted:

I really think that Courser and Caryatid to ramp into Polukranos or Siege Rhino makes any kind of aggro deck pretty much unplayable in this standard.

Crippling Blight says get the gently caress out of the way. I've been playing 4 in my Mono-B aggro deck. Kill their Elvish Mystic or get Courser or Polukranos or Siege Rhino out of the way for that big final blow.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Chill la Chill posted:

People would've just whined about "land destruction" had they been made.

The best part about enchantment lands would be how crazy a blow out Back to Nature would become against a constellation deck.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

A big flaming stink posted:

Easy as Elmer, right?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

A big flaming stink posted:

also the wave seems pretty good in a control-style deck as a one-of finisher. Of course with control being as bad as it is right now...

My buddy won a 41-man GPT on Sunday playing Sultai Control. Aetherspouts, Downfall, Drown, Thoughtseize, Ashiok, Kiora, Nissa, and Jace. Control is actually great in a field of all midrange right now.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

qbert posted:

My buddy won a 41-man GPT on Sunday playing Sultai Control. Aetherspouts, Downfall, Drown, Ashiok, Kiora, Nissa, and Jace. Control is actually great in a field of all midrange right now.

http://www.twitch.tv/mrscottymac Is playing that exact deck right now. Its interesting for sure.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

qbert posted:

My buddy won a 41-man GPT on Sunday playing Sultai Control. Aetherspouts, Downfall, Drown, Thoughtseize, Ashiok, Kiora, Nissa, and Jace. Control is actually great in a field of all midrange right now.

Always remember that to win a game of Magic, you need to be much faster or slightly slower than your opponent. My local meta is full of control decks fighting an arms race of bigger bombs, which is why I'll probably play SubSligh at Game Day.

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.

Cernunnos posted:

If it means I can flip this old Pre-release Promo to pay for part of a Kahns Draft then by all means it can move out of the bulk bin A.S.A.Now.

Already up to $2 online, and Temple of Malady is spiking as well.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

moravec posted:

Already up to $2 online, and Temple of Malady is spiking as well.

I don't have any Malady but I'm still debating whether to flip my playset of Epiphany or build a Counter-Burn deck that got posted in the Brewhaus.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

Crippling Blight says get the gently caress out of the way. I've been playing 4 in my Mono-B aggro deck. Kill their Elvish Mystic or get Courser or Polukranos or Siege Rhino out of the way for that big final blow.

The fact that that doesn't address Caryatid is a problem though, and being unable to do so is the most awkward part of these aggro decks against the green devotion strategies.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I don't get a lot of this aggro hate. I'm full Mardu aggro and it rolls right over Abzan midrange. Two cards put me over the top in that matchup: Ride Down and Chief of the Edge.

Chief means that my Skullhunters, Champions, and Heroes walk through Caryatids, and my Aspirants and Rabblemasters trade with Coursers. Four Ulcerate mainboard also neatly shred blocking Coursers, and they won't play around it because they know my goblin tokens have to attack anyways and don't expect a trick. When they stabilize and drop a Polukranos or Siege Rhino, Crackling Doom eats it and maintains my momentum.

Ride Down is an absolutely absurd card. It's very tough to play around. I sideboard four and they come in in every creature-heavy matchup. Like Doom, it's an insane tempo play that takes out their 4-5 drops and ticks down their life total.

There are cards that crush me-- Hornet Queen, Drown in Sorrows (but I sideboard Mardu Ascendancy for the matchups where it's likely to make an appearance). I take a lot of damage from my manabase so I don't like Jeskai burn. But the deck semi-reliably goldfishes turn 4 kills, rips midrange apart, and mainboard two Sorins to race. It is the real deal.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Myriad Truths posted:

The fact that that doesn't address Caryatid is a problem though, and being unable to do so is the most awkward part of these aggro decks against the green devotion strategies.

I also run Hall of Triumph as a 1-of which turns Caryatid into a chump blocker for all of your 3/2s. Caryatid also has no power, so you can just run one of your creatures into it while the others get around it. Or Thoughtseize/Brain Maggot it before they can cast it. Caryatid isn't that big of a deal.

I run 2 extra Cast Into Darknesses in the sideboard for green decks because usually all I need is one more turn around the time they drop Courser or Polukranos, and just making them unable to block for 1 or 2 mana is pretty great.

What Mono-black Aggro really needs is some sort of good 1-2 mana pump/evasion like Madcap Skills. Bestowing a Herald on something is usually good game, but 5 mana is a lot in that deck.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I Love You! posted:

Super excited about this weird 2color draft, especially after streaming the draft portion and the only comment made was "bad drafting man..." and then the guy left.

Do you do a ub build? Cause the store owner just beat our faces in with it tonight. It was so annoying with the discard effects he ran.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Did almost a straight up GW beats last night when we drafted with buddies, basically had just UW dual and Sultai triple to morph my single Icefeather Aven. When the colours are open you definitely can do just two colours fine, and pretty much ignore taking fixing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

Wish they'd made some Enchantment Lands. I know it probably would have been a bad idea but still.
There just weren't that many actual "enchantments matter" mechanics for them to interact with. In the block as-is, the only thing Enchantment Lands would even do is trigger constellation and die incidentally to enchantment removal. And constellation wasn't even in the first two sets of the block. I can imagine a block where Enchantment Lands make sense, but Theros isn't it, and wouldn't be without a major shakeup of the block's mechanics.

Imagine opening an enchantment land in a Theros pack a year ago. "OK. I guess this makes Commune with the Gods marginally better? And does nothing else except die to my opponent's enchantment removal?"

Bonus knock against enchantment lands: being broken in Legacy Enchantress decks.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

Bonus knock against enchantment lands: being broken in Legacy Enchantress decks.
Trust me, it loving needs 'em. Enchantress hasn't been relevant in two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Entropic posted:

There just weren't that many actual "enchantments matter" mechanics for them to interact with. In the block as-is, the only thing Enchantment Lands would even do is trigger constellation and die incidentally to enchantment removal. And constellation wasn't even in the first two sets of the block. I can imagine a block where Enchantment Lands make sense, but Theros isn't it, and wouldn't be without a major shakeup of the block's mechanics.

Imagine opening an enchantment land in a Theros pack a year ago. "OK. I guess this makes Commune with the Gods marginally better? And does nothing else except die to my opponent's enchantment removal?"

Enchant creature - Aura

This creature is an enchantment forest, in addition to its other type :v:

E: make it a bestow

• Locked thread