Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The flash sale today contains all of the Wally West run, I think to rub it in our faces. I want to get the best of Waid's run and other than the return of Barry Alan what are the highlights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I consider myself a huge fan of the modern Flash but haven't read much if the early Wally days. What are the standout arcs? I hope someone here or at ComicsAlliance does a recommendation list like CA did during the larger Batman sales.

vvvThanks, I've downloaded those, Emergency Stop (read before and liked it), and Wally West's #1 which already has me jonesing for more.vvv

Space Fish fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 7, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Space Fish posted:

I consider myself a huge fan of the modern Flash but haven't read much if the early Wally days. What are the standout arcs? I hope someone here or at ComicsAlliance does a recommendation list like CA did during the larger Batman sales.

Death of Barry Allan issues 74-79. It has the best depiction of Barry Allen in Flash's history.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is the pre-Nu52 Flash series by Johns and Manapul good?

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

There is also a The Walking Dead sale going on, has anyone read the special one-shot issues for Michonne, Tyreese, and The Governor? I'm wondering if the added materials are worthwhile, seems like the bulk of these issues are just reprints of the issues the characters first appeared in, which I would already have.

I'll also point out that they have a special bundle for Marvel's 75th anniversary, seems to be a pretty solid collection of great issues over the history of Marvel. However, the $75 price point is awfully steep, especially considering that I'm sure most of those issues would be available on Marvel's Unlimited service. There also seem to be a good number of issues that are part of a larger arc that are really going to lose something being read out of context.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I especially don't get things like only including the first part of Days Of Future Past. It's a TWO issue story, just put the second part in and forego, I dunno, House of M #1.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Syrinxx posted:

I love Matt Fraction's Marvel stuff. Will I love Satellite Sam?

If the question is "Will it read like Hawkeye/FF?" then the answer is a solid 'No.'

If it's will you like it, then it's a resounding 'maybe'. The thing with the series is that Fraction initially wrote it as a short series, only to change course once it became successful enough to support an ongoing. Thus, it changed from being a story about one man solving his father's murder into an ensemble about running a TV show precariously hanging off the edge of total destruction. This is fairly evident as at the end of the second arc, where the most of the murder solved is 'It's not this woman, and his father kept some weird/sexy secrets'.

Another factor is that Fraction whoever is his artist are both very involved in every aspect in creating a series. There's a reason why 'Hawkeye', 'FF', and 'Sex Criminals' are all considered contemporary high points if nor out right classics. And with Satellite Sam comes a very 'Black Kiss' Howard Chaykin who brings a lot of himself into the series. He is a classic 'Mad Men' New Yorker type. His wheel house is men in white shirts drinking whisky shouting about cocksuckers, and women in garter belts who are alluring, dangerous, and sexy. In essence, he's what Frank Miller wishes he was. And with that comes a lot of what informs the style and content, which is fairly unique in Fractions recent output. Unique, sometimes offputting, and to me, extremely engaging.

That said, I don't think it's a bad series. A bit all-over-the-place directionally, but the addition of an ensemble I think is really intriguing. That also said, it defiantly reads better in trades, especially one right after another. In the single issues a list of characters with a blurb about who the were wasn't nearly enough in the beginning. So, if I may recommend, either go for the trades or grab it in a comixology sale.

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Oct 8, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone else having problems buying comics this morning? New comics are out and I can't read them and this makes me angry :argh:

EDIT: Seems to be an issue with Amazon payments I switched to credit card and the sale went through. Crisis averted.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was getting errors, but eventually got through. I used Paypal since I have some money in my account.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

There's a Comixology "Marvel Collections" sale that's not getting a banner advertisement, as well as a Daredevil: Road Warrior sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Collections-Sale/list/4055?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlclZpZXdBbGw

A real grab bag, but Guardian Devil and Irredeemable Ant-Man 1-6 are included -- either worth reading?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Pretty much hinges on how you feel about the writers. I think Guardian Devil is a very solid story that started the revitalization of Daredevil that Bendis then ran with, and Quesada's art is very pretty.

Ant-Man is relatively tame by Kirkman's standards, as I recall. The worst that happens is O'Grady being a creep to a bunch of women, but it's treated comedically like the pathetic schlub he is.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

onefish posted:

There's a Comixology "Marvel Collections" sale that's not getting a banner advertisement, as well as a Daredevil: Road Warrior sale.
https://www.comixology.com/Marvel-Collections-Sale/list/4055?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NsaWRlclZpZXdBbGw

A real grab bag, but Guardian Devil and Irredeemable Ant-Man 1-6 are included -- either worth reading?

Guardian Devil is terrible, just rebuy Man Without Fear, it's by far the best book there.

Haven't read it but people like Irredeemable Ant-Man back in the day but maybe their opinions of Kirkman have soured that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gaz-L posted:

Ant-Man is relatively tame by Kirkman's standards, as I recall. The worst that happens is O'Grady being a creep to a bunch of women, but it's treated comedically like the pathetic schlub he is.

He was such a creep that the comedy of it didn't hit for me. He was just completely unsympathetic.

Everyone else seems to love it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's less Kirman-y than his Destroyer mini or his run on Marvel Team-up periodcally got. (I like parts of that MTU run, like the teacher at Peter's school that wants to have an affair with him, and the whole Speedball/Gravity/X-23 story arc, but a lot of it leaned into his ultraviolent, cynical side.)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Irredeemable Ant-Man is in my opinion far and away the best thing Kirkman ever wrote. Pretty much the only comic of his that's any good.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just got an email from Marvel with a $30 off Marvel Unlimited Plus membership. The code is "SAVE30". That's the price of a regular Marvel Unlimited membership, plus a Rocket Raccoon figure and variant cover editions of Rocket Raccoon #1 and #2.

Its valid until October 16 at midnight EST.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

onefish posted:

They should have put Born Again on sale instead of Guardian Devil.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
So given the response in this thread, I should pick up Man Without Fear?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Solaris Knight posted:

So given the response in this thread, I should pick up Man Without Fear?

Oh, most definitely

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Man Without Fear and Born Again are pretty much THE Daredevil stories.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Humble Star Wars Bundle...

Edit with the link:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 15, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Uthor posted:

Humble Star Wars Bundle...

Awesome. In for Marvel Star Wars before Marvel reissues them for $4 each.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 15, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was seeing if Bob's Burgers is DRM free and noticed that you can get all of The Boys straight from Dynamite for $0.99 each.
https://dynamite.com/digital/#boysSale

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Five Ghosts Sale. A.K.A Five Ghosts: The Haunting of Fabian Grey

Basic story, Fabian Grey is a world famous Treasure Hunter who is cursed by the 'Dreamstone'. The curse is two fold; 1) Took his twin sister (Read: in a coma), and 2) Gave him five 'literary' ghosts who possess/give him powers to kick rear end with. What these ghosts mean is that he has the sleuth-ry of 'A Famous Detective', the archery of 'A Famous Bandit', the magic of 'a Great Magician', the nosferatu-ry of 'a Famous Vampire', and the fighting skills of 'a Racist Sterotype'. Non-spoiler:[spoilers] Or as they're actually called, Sherlock Holmes, Robin Hood, Merlin, Dracula, and, I want to say, Fu Manchu. Presumably, they just didn't mention any one of them to keep any of the estates off of their backs. [/spoilers]

To put it aptly, it's just Indiana Jones but with the magical part front and center. It's so Indiana Jones, the first issue has Fabian and his trusted aide running from natives, who are throwing spears, only to escape by plane. As well, they employ the great pulp tradition of long-form storytelling and cliffhangers. So basically, it's a pulp comic told through the lens of modern storytelling.

That said, if any of that sounds interesting to you, I'd recommend at the very least the first collection, if not the whole series. The entire thing is all solid, quality work. Worst I'd say is that it's way of storytelling doesn't really suit the monthly format. If it doesn't peak anything in you, then I'd say don't worry about it and go live life. You won't miss anything here.

evilemu
Sep 26, 2005
Image Horror Sale and The Sixth Gun Sale

Anything in the Image sale worth it? How is The Sixth Gun?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've heard good things about Bedlam, so I'm gonna pick that up, and Severed is alright (though nothing hugely memorable in my opinion).

Bulletproof Coffin also received a lot of praise around here, but I don't think that really counts as horror so much as just being a surreal superhero story. Whole thing for $4 is a great deal though.

Also I know Fell is generally well-regarded, but it's a victim of The Great Ellis Harddrive Crash so it will never be finished.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Also I know Fell is generally well-regarded, but it's a victim of The Great Ellis Harddrive Crash so it will never be finished.

All the issues are standalone stories so it basically is finished.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, I didn't know that, I just remember seeing someone complain about it not being finished. Gonna pick it up then, thanks.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I like what I've read of Sixth Gun. Cowboys and demons and cursed weapons. It's almost like Hellboy in the Wild West. Definitely going to pick up the issues that I'm missing.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

evilemu posted:

Image Horror Sale and The Sixth Gun Sale

Anything in the Image sale worth it? How is The Sixth Gun?

The Bulletproof Coffin owns.

I never really considered it a full on horror comic but it's great stuff.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah Bulletproof Coffin for $4 is an absolute must-buy. And Fell is one of my favorite Ellis works.

I also liked Green Wake but I never read past volume 1

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

Bulletproof Coffin also received a lot of praise around here, but I don't think that really counts as horror so much as just being a surreal superhero story. Whole thing for $4 is a great deal though.

Not to be a pedant, but the collection on sale does not include Volume 2 (Disinterred), so it's not quite the "whole thing". It is really good, though, and I highly recommend it along with "Strange Embrace", which is David Hine solo and is also on sale.

On the flip side I'd recommend people stay away from "Hoax Hunters" and "Alpha Girl". I purchased both in earlier sales as the premises are right in my wheel-house, but I found "Hoax Hunters" to be incredibly underwhelming in both the art and writing, while "Alpha Girl" was just awful.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Random question: does "Remember Me" actually work when you log into comiXology's website? Every time I go there, I have to log in again and it's annoying. Is it because I get logged off when I view the site on another browser or use the app on my phone/tablet?

Using Firefox on Windows 8.1.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It never remembers me for very long, no.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Uthor posted:

Random question: does "Remember Me" actually work when you log into comiXology's website? Every time I go there, I have to log in again and it's annoying. Is it because I get logged off when I view the site on another browser or use the app on my phone/tablet?

Using Firefox on Windows 8.1.

It has never worked for long no matter what I do. It's extremely annoying.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Archie Halloween sale which means Afterlife With Archie 1-6 for 99 cents!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider is on sale today. It's completely awesome and insane, and includes ninja nuns, a demon trucker, and this:

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Ghost Riders good?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I thought Aaron's Ghost Rider was okay. Glad I read it on MDCU and before this and saved some money.

Early, rough Aaron in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I want to start building a digital comic collection. Does comixology have big sales like Steam does during winter and summer?

I just built a wish list of comics I want to buy and it totals near $1000... if most of these are gonna be 50% for some winter sale or something I minus whale wait right? :V thats hooker money right there