Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

But do I use #gay or #les for #other?

Only if you want your cap-only mage gelatinous cube to be seduced by or the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

scalded schlong posted:

Please mod all commanders so that 10% of them have their gender tag switched for the purposes of seduction, to accurately represent my dryad/oreiad fanfiction.

Penthesilea casts Entangle

You joke, but I always thought a hidden modifier for purposes of seduction would be cool. "Darn, why the hell is my Succubus failing with this commander again and again?"
In any case, totally obscure but realistic details in the Dominions thing.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

You joke, but I always thought a hidden modifier for purposes of seduction would be cool. "Darn, why the hell is my Succubus failing with this commander again and again?"

Endless bag of wine makes seduction attempts easier.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

goatface posted:

This is drifting too close to a #zoophile tag for my liking.

Where do Pangaean beastmen fall into this?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Donkringel posted:

Endless bag of wine makes seduction attempts easier.

I would code it so much if I had the source code on my hands!

Actually if I had the source code the first thing would be to improve the UI. My number 1 problem.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I kinda wish poptype modification was a real thing. You can fudge it, sort of, by making indie stuff into other stuff, but LA expansion is so bloody dull that I wish it was easier to replace that stuff cleanly.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

jBrereton posted:

I kinda wish poptype modification was a real thing. You can fudge it, sort of, by making indie stuff into other stuff, but LA expansion is so bloody dull that I wish it was easier to replace that stuff cleanly.

The saddest feeling is seeing your armored commander get sniped by a lucky crossbow shot.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Speleothing posted:

Only if you want your cap-only mage gelatinous cube to be seduced by or the other.

I ignored your intended meaning and missing words here.

I want to get started on a gelatinous cube nation for EA. Their unit types range from size 1 to size 5 cubes with sacred size 4 and 5 variants, there's one sacred commander with 3 random magic paths from any school and one stealthy size 1 scout cube. The only pretender they can pick is a size six gelatinous cube that comes with no paths and costs 80 for any new paths. They have a level zero national spell that summons one cube of each size 1 through 5 can for a cost of 15 water gems and a size six cube for 30 water gems. Their cap produces 10 water gems a turn. Does anyone foresee any balance issues right off the bat?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

Because Succubi are demons they actually get a special extra effect from seduction that allows them to seduce men or women. At least that used to be the case before seduction changes, now they use Dream Seduction which might still let them seduce men or women or possibly the 'corruption' seduction that works on men and women is now unique to the Grigori and Belial.

I don't know unless someone has gone and tested to see if Succubi can still seduce women.

jBrereton posted:

Yeah, it's annoying too because you can already modify everything else about poptypes; just not the indie pd that turns up to defend them.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 8, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neruz posted:

Because Succubi are demons they actually get a special extra effect from seduction

see? Obscure detail. I just wrote "succubus" as an example of someone with seduction in the game, didn't know they had an special effect.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

see? Obscure detail. I just wrote "succubus" as an example of someone with seduction in the game, didn't know they had an special effect.

They may or may not still have the special effect; before the seduction rework all seduction was the same so Demons with seduction had a special thing that let them seduce regardless of gender. Now with the different kinds of seduction I do not know if this is still the case. (it could be that Dream Seduction works on anyone regardless of gender or that Succubi are no longer capable of seducing girls)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Underhome - Mountain Halls v0.2: https://www.mediafire.com/?lqe3usf903j8wdb

I consider this to be a "final version" in terms of features for MA Underhome. I'm willing to do more balance work, but I think this is representative of what I want the MA nation to be. It features the MA nation of Underhome, a group of dwarves based on the dwarves of Dwarf Fortress with additional inspiration from other various fantasy dwarves. Notes about the nation:

• Dwarves are size 2 units that use smaller armor and weapons than normal units. Their equipment uses the cost of size 1 units to calculate the cost, though dwarven soldiers have a slightly higher base resources/gold cost to compensate. Still, they're pretty cheap in terms of effectiveness for line infantry.
  • However, dwarves need alcohol to perform at peak effectiveness. As such, most dwarven soliders consume three times as many supplies as normal size 2 units.
  • The dwarf scout unit is a Foreman, a stealthy commander that provides a resource bonus and a siege bonus. Underhome also has an additional stealthy unit, the Miner, which also provides resources and a siege bonus. Neither are very effective in combat. Both can be recruited in mountain provinces.
  • I've lowered the base stats of most of the dwarves so they are much more in line with human troops in general. Dwarves also mostly use short weapons, and longer weapons are 2-handed. Even the dwarven pike is shorter than a normal pike.
  • Adamantine troops are very expensive in terms of both gold and resources, but use nigh-weightless armor that is just as effective as normal plate armor.
  • They have access to a number of unique magic items and artifacts. Adamantine armor offers a bit less protection than black steel plate, but is weightless.
  • As for mages, the high smith is a slow-to-recruit, capital-only mage with 3E1F+1AFD+.1EAFD, and apprentice smiths are a more expensive but not slow-to-recruit version of Vanheim's dwarven smith that can be recruited anywhere. Both smiths have the master smith ability. In addition they have the mountain recruit Earthpriest, a fairly weak earth mage and priest, and the foreign recruit Armok's Disciple, a weak sacred heretic blood mage. They also have the Svartalf with 2D2E, a homesick mage that can only be recruited in caves (still debating whether or not to drop the Svartalf from the lineup, I like the idea but I'm not sure it's necessary).

As always, feedback appreciated. I'm still iffy on the magic lineup, I'd like to keep the current paths but I'm not sure if it's going to work out.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I think I've now gotten as much out of the singleplayer as I'm likely to. I've got a handle on early expansion, fort building and mage production, and I've realised the optimal strategy against the AI is to just bulldoze through provinces and raise PD really high on everything so it can't take you in the sides, then siege their capitals without having any sort of magical research plan whatsoever. This is a shame as I can't figure out how to win against it any other way - it doesn't respect borders at all so having anyone as a neighbour means you gotta kill em quick, which means that capitals are being sieged before I even have the first part of whatever magic I was teching toward. And having those magic plans doesn't really seem to benefit at all, since you can get more than enough done with standard troops alone. So all that mage production I've been doing doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere since I don't feel like there's anything I can do with them.

Things like constructing boosters and outfitting thugs feels really hard, complex, arcane, and fidgety, and I'm unlikely to do it in singleplayer because I: a) don't really understand thugs, and b) don't seem to need to. Making spell scripts for mages with random paths is a chore since you can't even see the paths that they have in the army setup screen and you gotta go back and forth memorising names and control keys. And given the enormous breadth of different nations with their different magical path availability and niche requirements, it's really difficult to actually compose a good plan for the things you have. Weirdly enough the more I play this the more overwhelmed I get with realising how much there is to it and how little of it I grasp.

I guess now is the point where you're just supposed to play in a dozen multiplayer games without a clear plan and wing it, losing repeatedly to people pulling weird poo poo out of their bags and getting ideas? Or should I be reading nation guides and going into everything with a solid strategy?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Boing posted:

read nation guides and go into everything with a solid strategy

Before you play a nation, you should try to have a strong idea of 'what I want this nation to do', and then try to do that. And then wing it when your rear end in a top hat opponents gently caress it all up.

As for thugs, a thug is any unit with a Fire/Ice Brand and enough defensive items or magic to survive against basic troops.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Boing posted:

Making spell scripts for mages with random paths is a chore since you can't even see the paths that they have in the army setup screen and you gotta go back and forth memorising names and control keys.

For this one narrow thing: if you select all the guys with the paths you care about before opening up the orders screen, they'll stay highlighted.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I haven't been able to find very many nation guides for Dom 4 in the various forums, but hopping into the goon IRC and asking for the general gist of a nation works just as well (or even better since you'll get multiple perspectives and analyses on it).

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Thugs as a whole got a lot less powerful in Dom4 since luck got nerfed and 100% resists became no longer a thing. Plus research got slowed down some. Not to say that sacred giant or mounted elf thugs aren't still good, but not as relevant as they once were.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Also PD is maybe stronger because there are generally a lot more crossbows and heavy cavalry involved in MA and especially LA compared to the olden days of lovely giant militia in every province for certain factions.

There are nation guides over at the official forums, they have a whole subforum for it, but they suffer a bit from Baalz Syndrome, a disease which causes whimsical strategic decision-making and presuppositions about reliable gem income which you may not normally encounter.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

jBrereton posted:

Also PD is maybe stronger because there are generally a lot more crossbows and heavy cavalry involved in MA and especially LA compared to the olden days of lovely giant militia in every province for certain factions.

There are nation guides over at the official forums, they have a whole subforum for it, but they suffer a bit from Baalz Syndrome, a disease which causes whimsical strategic decision-making and presuppositions about reliable gem income which you may not normally encounter.

Those guides are also mostly for single player games it seems. Because the strategies that they want to work just simply won't play out like that against humans.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Nonsense, staying in your cap for 10 turns after the start of the game to build the optimal force of sniffles is perfectly sound strategy.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

Nonsense, staying in your cap for 10 turns after the start of the game to build the optimal force of sniffles is perfectly sound strategy.
Sure, I mean how else are you realistically going to take one province at a time for the next forty turns without taking unsustainable losses?

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
Maybe I'm dumb, but I see no reason why this communion failed: http://imgur.com/a/dLaxw

4 A1S1 slave up, then a master with a crystal matrix casts storm. His paths are at A3S3 when it happens, he has the gems as well as the additional gem to cast storm at a level higher than he is. Yet he ignores it and goes off on his own.

Communion fails(everything dependendant on storm) and the mages lol around until they kill the slaves by fatigue.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Maybe just thought the threat was insufficient for a Storm?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Is he trying to cast storm before the slaves cast communion slave?

Turn order in Dominions is a bit arcane, try making him wait a turn.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nope, the pictures show the communion-magic firing of in the first turn without trouble. It's the second turn when everything goes of the rails.

The Gentleman posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, but I see no reason why this communion failed: http://imgur.com/a/dLaxw

4 A1S1 slave up, then a master with a crystal matrix casts storm. His paths are at A3S3 when it happens, he has the gems as well as the additional gem to cast storm at a level higher than he is. Yet he ignores it and goes off on his own.

Communion fails(everything dependendant on storm) and the mages lol around until they kill the slaves by fatigue.

Well, luckily you didn't check conservative gem usage, because that't normally reason for something like this.

The only thing which comes to mind here: Maybe gem boosts and communion boosts aren't stackable? Like with how you can't just take two of the same items to boost your magic paths again, maybe a similar thing is happening here with the game deciding you can either boost your paths with a communion, or with gems, but not both.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

As always, feedback appreciated. I'm still iffy on the magic lineup, I'd like to keep the current paths but I'm not sure if it's going to work out.

If their crossbows don't fire +kitten bone+ bolts, I will be somewhat disappointed. Also, maybe give them cap-only philosophers? I always liked those guys. Best nobles ever.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Boing posted:

<snip>

...I guess now is the point where you're just supposed to play in a dozen multiplayer games without a clear plan and wing it, losing repeatedly to people pulling weird poo poo out of their bags and getting ideas? Or should I be reading nation guides and going into everything with a solid strategy?
Hello I am fairly new too. I've only been in two multi-player games so far, but you'd be surprised at how much you learn just from playing. Single player gives you a false sense of how overwhelming everything is because in multiplayer you have (at least) 26 hours between every turn you take. It can be more than a week before you even reach turn ten of a game, and that's plenty of time to take a long look at where you are, what you can achieve in the next year of the game, and to ask people a few questions about things.

I haven't been reading nation guides. I ask questions a lot in the IRC, about general things (what are good earth spells? what can I do with water gems? why monkey is so bad? how do communions work? why this monkey is piece of poo poo?) It's probably more useful to develop general, transferable knowledge than to look up specific nation strategies imo. I've learned an awful lot about battle magic so far, just from playing Patala once.

Good luck hehe. :-)

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Maybe just thought the threat was insufficient for a Storm?

Is that a thing? I failed to catch Hatwers army and instead met up with a huge clump of PD, so that may have been it.

@Libl the storm casting was on 1st turn as well, it was just ordered up so the mages at the top of the list were the ones that became the slaves, and the master had a matrix so he just proceeded to cast storm immidiately.

But I think Breton may be on to something that the mage was just like "PD? aint gonna waste any gems on those!" and then proceed to waste gems casting air elemental and air shield, and killing all the slaves.

Edit: No, it wasn't PD. There was a sizeable army there: http://puu.sh/c4J7T/b623a7ff46.jpg

The Gentleman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 8, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Gentleman posted:

Is that a thing?
I know it's been a thing for me with things like Flaming Arrows in the past, and that was without any kind of communion fuckery, just a straight phoenix power into extra gem.

Next time try PotS first and then Storm into Storm Power, though?

(I also believe that Conservative Gem Usage doesn't affect getting up to the proper level to cast stuff, just things that can be cast with the help of an extra gem to reduce fatigue)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Update on my modproject:

-It has now an actual name: Gemmod
-I finished compiling a list of Sumerian and Akkadian demons and lesser gods to fill out the summon list.
-I finished the compilation of possible heroes, every age will have two heroes for its nation.

Just in case you want to google Mesopotamian mythology and history, the heroes are:

Sargon MA und LA Akkad
Utanapishti LA Akkad
Dumuzi EA Lagash und MA Akkad
Zisudra EA Lagash

Now back to the necessary but a lot more boring part: Programming.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Will there be a marshmallow man

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

But do I use #gay or #les for #other?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Extra gems have always been wonky in combination with communions. I don't remember the exact rule, but I made a note of it in my old communion guide. I think it's that gems beyond the spell's base are limited by base paths instead of communion paths. So for example you can cast Darkness with a 1+4 communion master using 4 gems, but your master won't use a 5th to reduce fatigue.

I think. All hearsay.

edit: Under this rule, an A2+1 master would be permitted to use 2 gems, and so could cast Storm with communion + extra gem boosts. But an A1+2 master would only be permitted to use 1 gem, and so could not cast Storm.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

MA Ermor, the great equalizer.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

TheDemon posted:

Extra gems have always been wonky in combination with communions. I don't remember the exact rule, but I made a note of it in my old communion guide. I think it's that gems beyond the spell's base are limited by base paths instead of communion paths. So for example you can cast Darkness with a 1+4 communion master using 4 gems, but your master won't use a 5th to reduce fatigue.

I think. All hearsay.

edit: Under this rule, an A2+1 master would be permitted to use 2 gems, and so could cast Storm with communion + extra gem boosts. But an A1+2 master would only be permitted to use 1 gem, and so could not cast Storm.

We discussed this yesterday on IRC as well, but we were under the conclusion that boosts to path increased the gem usage. Perhaps boosts does, but communions does not?

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
Lets talk a little bit about formations, because I suspect there are better ways to handle it than this:

I tend to set things up to be fairly simple. Chaff infantry in a huge line up front, if I got enough of them I might make two lines. Behind are flanker or specialist units that I usually set on attacking rear, hoping they will punch through and hit something vital. Mage lineback far back.

I've seen people use far fancier formations. Multiple groups, rather than one huge group. What are the advantages/disadvantages, and what other formations can you go for? Should you max out your number of squads at every time to minimise the chance of mass retreat, or keep them in huge group. When is line best used, compared to things like double line, or perhaps even skirmish, etc etc.

The Gentleman fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 9, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Gentleman posted:

Lets talk a little bit about formations, because I suspect there are better ways to handle it than this:

I tend to set things up to be fairly simple. Chaff infantry in a huge line up front, if I got enough of them I might make two lines. Behind are flanker or specialist units that I usually set on attacking rear, hoping they will punch through and hit something vital. Mage lineback far back.

I've seen people use far fancier formations. Multiple groups, rather than one huge group. What are the advantages/disadvantages, and what other formations can you go for? Should you max out your number of squads at every time to minimise the chance of mass retreat, or keep them in huge group. When is line best used, compared to things like double line, or perhaps even skirmish, etc etc.

Double line is useful if you have extremely long weapons and a lot of units: This way the troops behind your front line can attack, but you still get a rather broad formation which can't easily be flanked.

If I want formations to attack into the enemy rear instead of just walking forward and blocking the enemy attack, I'll set up several smaller formations for this: A smaller formation breaks easier, but your enemy has to break every single formation separately.

Undisciplined troops are best used depending on what they are: Huge monsters somewhere where their AI-movement has a chance to evade huge enemy blocks, lovely troops just as a large block swarming before your main army, soaking up hits.

If you have the units for it, try to set up several lines of chaff and several lines of archers, so your enemy has serious trouble targeting your mages behind/between all that poo poo.

About archers, there are other things to do then just formations: If you have lovely archers (low morale, can't hit the broad side of a barn), it can be good do forgo formations and just use huge blocks set to fire and avoid: This prevents them from just pelting the empty ground with arrows and makes them slowly step back from an advancing enemy.

Generally, low prot/low morale archers should always be set to avoid the enemy. If morale and precision isn't an issue, you can go hogwild with formations of course. Several lines of archers each blocking the entire battlefield, double-lines giving flanking fire, what you want.

Edit:

In edge cases, you want to use the skirmish-formation to make it harder for the enemy to kill your units. You have to decide if the lower morale from the formation offsets the lower casualties from fireballs and thunderstrikes crashing into your huge blocks of archers.

Also, battlemagic can mess up close formations badly, so you better make sure your precious block of length 6 pikemen isn't marching into a bunch of AOE-spells and just evaporates. Even a still quite close double line can save some units if the death rain is coming just a little bit too late to hit the lines.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Libluini posted:

Double line is useful if you have extremely long weapons and a lot of units: This way the troops behind your front line can attack

I do not think this is true.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

I do not think this is true.

Why not? Length six weapons should be able to hit units up to two squares away if I remember right: Length 0 hits inside a unit's own square, Length 1-3 hits the adjacent square, 4-6 hits the second square behind that.

In a double line, the units of the second line should be in the square behind the main line and be able to hit units in front of the front line, while the front line itself can hit those and the units in the square behind them.

At least this is what I remember of how weapon lengths translate to range. Also I've never seen pikemen repelling units five squares away, so it sounds reasonable. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Libluini posted:

Why not? Length six weapons should be able to hit units up to two squares away if I remember right: Length 0 hits inside a unit's own square, Length 1-3 hits the adjacent square, 4-6 hits the second square behind that.

In a double line, the units of the second line should be in the square behind the main line and be able to hit units in front of the front line, while the front line itself can hit those and the units in the square behind them.

At least this is what I remember of how weapon lengths translate to range. Also I've never seen pikemen repelling units five squares away, so it sounds reasonable. :v:

I have never seen a unit with a melee attack hit anything that is not adjacent to it and the manual mentions nothing about length increasing attack range on melee weapons.

• Locked thread