Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
There were chain chomps in turtle rock in Link to the Past too, that's canon. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Havn't seen a lot of speculation on what they can do with new weapons for the dlc. Like if it's Twilight Princess themed the first choice is probably an Adult Midna moveset but that slot is the only way Occoo could be represented in this game. We need more Ooccoo.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Did the Legend of Zelda really need a "Friendship is the true strength of the Master Sword" spiel? I found it strange how we had to be TOLD that Link is getting overconfident and cocky since getting this amazing power since he himself never really expresses much emotion outside of "angry i'm gonna kill it all" face

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Havn't seen a lot of speculation on what they can do with new weapons for the dlc. Like if it's Twilight Princess themed the first choice is probably an Adult Midna moveset but that slot is the only way Occoo could be represented in this game. We need more Ooccoo.
:gonk:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I've done some speculation, and the answer is: GAnon's trident from LTTP

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Did the Legend of Zelda really need a "Friendship is the true strength of the Master Sword" spiel? I found it strange how we had to be TOLD that Link is getting overconfident and cocky since getting this amazing power since he himself never really expresses much emotion outside of "angry i'm gonna kill it all" face

My favorite bit during the lead up to that was Proxi constantly trash talking everything until they get jumped.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The GIG posted:

My favorite bit during the lead up to that was Proxi constantly trash talking everything until they get jumped.

The best part about that sequence was I, as link, never once felt overwhelmed even with a bunch of dark links everywhere, because I was overleveled from the Adventure map

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Also because Dark Link (and regular Link) is a pretty easy enemy to beat because almost all of his attacks leave his weak point open for like ten minutes.

I thought the whole subplot about the Master Sword turning Link into a bloodthirsty maniac was great, but that's mostly because of how dissonant it is with mainstream Zelda games.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I got really close to beating the Zelda level 2 baton mission but got a B on damage. Didn't even seem like I was getting hit too much but I guess I was. Pretty annoying but round 2 should hopefully go a lot more smooth. I pretty much used the tactics someone posted about like a page ago where you just spam YYY and dodge at captains and bosses with a good rapier and it seemed to be working really well.

I have, however, found the most irritating level in Adventure Mode and am currently stuck on it. The triple boss fight with Ganon, Dodongo and Gohma. I can almost kill Ganon completely before the other 2 bosses join in, and then its just a matter of strafing until they do their moves that expose their weak points. Gohma mostly just jumps around like a loving rear end in a top hat and uses his beam when I'm trying to attack Dodongo, and when I focus on Gohma I just get hit with fireballs from off screen or hit for huge chunk of damage by a random slash. Absolutely infuriating.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

The Duke posted:

I got really close to beating the Zelda level 2 baton mission but got a B on damage. Didn't even seem like I was getting hit too much but I guess I was. Pretty annoying but round 2 should hopefully go a lot more smooth. I pretty much used the tactics someone posted about like a page ago where you just spam YYY and dodge at captains and bosses with a good rapier and it seemed to be working really well.

I have, however, found the most irritating level in Adventure Mode and am currently stuck on it. The triple boss fight with Ganon, Dodongo and Gohma. I can almost kill Ganon completely before the other 2 bosses join in, and then its just a matter of strafing until they do their moves that expose their weak points. Gohma mostly just jumps around like a loving rear end in a top hat and uses his beam when I'm trying to attack Dodongo, and when I focus on Gohma I just get hit with fireballs from off screen or hit for huge chunk of damage by a random slash. Absolutely infuriating.

That's sounds terrible, the reward isn't a weapon is it? :ohdear:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
e: ^^^ The A-rank reward is Zelda's level 2 baton. Personally I think the rapier is better so if it really stresses you out, don't go for it!

You get huge gobs of XP even if you fail that mission so it's still time well spent. It's actually a really good mission, I liked it a lot. I could see myself playing it again.

Unlike almost every challenge mission. Monster quizzes are poo poo, that mission where you have to kill the Imprisoned and his kids is poo poo, and the kill x-hundred enemies missions are really super duper poo poo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Summoning circle: normal attacks kinda slow and clunky. Special attack is funny. Victory cinematic makes it the best weapon in the game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RyokoTK posted:

e: ^^^ The A-rank reward is Zelda's level 2 baton. Personally I think the rapier is better so if it really stresses you out, don't go for it!

You get huge gobs of XP even if you fail that mission so it's still time well spent. It's actually a really good mission, I liked it a lot. I could see myself playing it again.

Unlike almost every challenge mission. Monster quizzes are poo poo, that mission where you have to kill the Imprisoned and his kids is poo poo, and the kill x-hundred enemies missions are really super duper poo poo.

I think he meant the ganon/dodongo/ghoma fight, not the Lv2 baton one.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
Everyone is talking about Zelda's lvl2 baton mission so much I had go to look up which one it was. I cleared it at some point and have no memory of it.. playing with a competant friend makes most of the stages pretty trivial. Although this is one of the few co-op games where working together actually seems like more of a liability unless giant bosses are invovled. I'm having a much tougher time with a few of the weaker characters level 3 unlocks, like Lana's spear or anything invovling Agitha or Fi. I've come across a few other stages that I'm going to save for the weekend couch co-op, because gold ranking them solo would just be a huge pain in the rear end.

Does anyone know how much the VS skills increase damage by?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
HA! I haven't unlocked any tier 3 weapons yet (and not even any of the tier 2's from adventure mode), but I had a 5-star, 7-slot sword (8-bit) drop from the first rewards map. 420 attack!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Man, I don't know how all of you got into the 40s for levels. It takes me a good 20-30 minutes on the rewards map just to get three, and I can't get enough rupees to keep everyone even. I did go back and A-rank a few of the maps I'd only beaten, as well as find all of the heart pieces in them.

Right now, weirdly, my problem in Adventure Mode, besides that there are a few levels in the corners of my revealed map that are giving me trouble, is that I can't find a loving candle that isn't three new levels away!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Right now, weirdly, my problem in Adventure Mode, besides that there are a few levels in the corners of my revealed map that are giving me trouble, is that I can't find a loving candle that isn't three new levels away!

Candles and bombs will respawn, just redo a few maps.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Oops, yeah I meant the Ganon/Dodongo/Gohma one. I did Zelda's level 2 baton a couple days ago. It was terrible! :shepface:

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

THE loving MOON posted:

Oops, yeah I meant the Ganon/Dodongo/Gohma one. I did Zelda's level 2 baton a couple days ago. It was terrible! :shepface:

The Level 2 Baton stage took me two hours to beat with an A rank, and I only did that because I went full Old Testament on the enemies, and camped in the Allied Base when so much as a wayward dust speck entered it until it was completely clean. I also made absolutely sure to take out Wizzro and Volga on sight if the Allied Base wasn't already in jeopardy. When they team up, they synergize perfectly with each other.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Candles and bombs will respawn, just redo a few maps.

I know, I've been waiting, but for some reason, so far I've had a power bracelet, two compasses and two bombs respawn but no candles! I'm sure I'll get there.

The two maps that are killing me are still the fiery aerolfos devstating attack (even with the bow) and Fi vs. 3 Imprisoned. I'll try them each a few times and then probably get a few Legendary mode hard skulltulas if I get frustrated.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Since we're all making spreadsheets, I made a filtered one for all the materials so you can see where to go to get what.

For anyone using this, I found it helpful to create a copy and then use the "view" menu at the top to freeze the first three columns and the first row.

What I could really use is one of these that tells you what the hell you need for everyone's badges. I keep telling myself I'll make a checklist, because I end up going in to see if I have enough materials like once every three battles, but I somehow always convince myself I'm going to remember.

e: sorry for the doublepost.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

deepshock posted:

The Level 2 Baton stage took me two hours to beat with an A rank, and I only did that because I went full Old Testament on the enemies, and camped in the Allied Base when so much as a wayward dust speck entered it until it was completely clean. I also made absolutely sure to take out Wizzro and Volga on sight if the Allied Base wasn't already in jeopardy. When they team up, they synergize perfectly with each other.

I had to do a bit of that too. I found that the easiest thing to do was to take on Wizro after killing the first messenger and then letting Volga move into the Allied base and following him immediately after. There are a couple triforce pots in there, and by then I usually have two special meters filled. I can just stay locked on to him and throw out my special when his weak gauge pops up, and then charge in for the weak smash. I tried to line up the other health bar guys in the shot too. The allied base doesn't lose health quickly while you're in it, so you can pretty much take as much time as you need. I got him down and cleared the base out quickly enough that I could take on the commander Aerofos before he got to the base.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm still in the babby steps of adventure mode, so I haven't seen the really nutso challenges, but last night I did a level 58 network link with a level 32 Link.

Seemed simple enough, defeat Fi and don't let Zelda flee. I was in Gerudo Desert and booked it to an enemy keep right in front of me. After killing mooks for a bit, I realized something was very wrong here. There were a LOT of mooks. My framerate was crawling and I took a moment to look around.

Holy balls I was surrounded by a Lizalfos messenger, two raid leaders, four champion Big Ice Poes, three champion ReDead Knights, three or four Fiery Aerolfos, and more moblins than I could count. At some point Impa appeared and joined in attempting to slaughter me.

All said and done, I finally managed to capture the keep and kill all the enemies after an almost 20 minute skirmish. My only saving grace was my Hearts+ bonus and the fact that I got several level ups during the process.

It was crazy and stressful and an absolute blast.

During the fight, I figured out a fun sort of bug with bombs and juggling enemies. If you bomb an enemy and they get launched, they'll fly through the air towards you. You can juggle them a bit, and once they land, if you start another juggle combo before they can stand up, the momentum in which you originally launched them carries over and exponentially grows with each time you juggle them until they manage to fully stand up. I managed to get a ReDead locked in a corner juggle comboing him over and over and over. I was doing next to no damage since I was such a low level, so I got to go through 14 juggle combos. He worked his way to the doorway on that last juggle and flew clear across the desert at the speed of light. I chuckled a little.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Holy cow I just unlocked the Great Fairy :stare:

Link gets all the cool weapons.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

Holy cow I just unlocked the Great Fairy :stare:

Link gets all the cool weapons.

I love the win animation for it, Link just wants to be left alone! :gonk:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Link apparently does not have an anime dom-giantess fetish. :gonk:

As an aside, I just realized how the stupid damage tally works. I think one heart = 400 points of damage. Why they don't just measure it in hearts is beyond me, but whatever. Maybe it's possible to take less than a quarter-heart of damage? I don't really know.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Did anyone successfully determine what the cap is to get an A rank? I think it's fewer than six hearts of damage, but it's so hard to tell, what with picking up recovery hearts as you dash around and whatnot.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I'm almost positive it's ten hearts, at least on normal adventure maps. Challenges might have their own conditions.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Did anyone successfully determine what the cap is to get an A rank? I think it's fewer than six hearts of damage, but it's so hard to tell, what with picking up recovery hearts as you dash around and whatnot.

I think it might be a bit more than that. There have been more than a few times where I'll eat a combo, decide that I'm hosed, and just finish the stage anyway only to find that losing close to half of my health bar was apparently not too much. Sometimes I wonder if the rank is based off of percentage, and not a static 'number of hearts lost'.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!

Bicyclops posted:

I know, I've been waiting, but for some reason, so far I've had a power bracelet, two compasses and two bombs respawn but no candles! I'm sure I'll get there.

The two maps that are killing me are still the fiery aerolfos devstating attack (even with the bow) and Fi vs. 3 Imprisoned. I'll try them each a few times and then probably get a few Legendary mode hard skulltulas if I get frustrated.

You can dodge cancel the recovery animations of a lot of things including shooting arrows, so that should help with the aerolfos if you're not doing it already. For the Imprisoned fight, focus on taking the little ones out first. Try to keep within walking range of the big one so you don't have to deal with lightning, and always make sure the little guys aren't gearing up for their own attacks before you start yours. If one is sliding around like an idiot, go kill his friend for example. Take your time, with those stages you can afford to go slow. When you get around to the big guy, manually attack his toes until he gets to the point where each step he takes makes red shockwaves, then special him down. Unless you have enough special meter and damage in general to unload from the get-go, then go nuts. Also YYYYYX (the colored fire attack) is probably the best combo for taking down his weak point I think?

I've made some posts about a couple character's YX combos being good, but last night it really clicked that these things are great for setting up combos on enemies who like to block a lot. If you can catch them with their guard initially down, you get a free set of three hits until they start blocking, so YX to pop them into the air then mash Y to start a new ground combo and finish into whatever. The enemy should be helpless since they'll be in a juggle state the entire time. It's really helpful for when your foe just doesn't feel like exposing his weak point and you need to get some solid damage in. And even if you're not doing a whole bunch of damage per hit, being able to combo into a even a Y finisher should make the whole thing worth the time and effort. Should they have their weak point exposed and it takes more than 3 hits to smash, YX should also do the job for that too!

This works for most characters I've tried it with - sword Link (wait 'til you're back on the ground before going into Y again), naginata Impa, Ganondorf, Zant, Ghirahim, Ruto, rapier Zelda. Does not seem to work with Agitha (Volga for example always recovered out of it on the way down) and I suspect Darunia because of the insane recovery (although it's p much a guaranteed weak point smash), not sure about the rest. This might be common knowledge to some, but I'm p happy I figured out a way of dealing with blockers outside of "wait for them to do something stupid".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Part of why I am probably losing is that I keep insisting on doing it with Fi, because she has the heart container reward for A ranking it, but I should probably knock it off, because i get my hearts cleared out enough that I'm obviously not going to get an A rank the first time. I knock out the two little imprisoned fairly quickly, but timing it to actually hit the drat toes on the big one without a mosou is just something I'm going to have to practice.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

For anyone using this, I found it helpful to create a copy and then use the "view" menu at the top to freeze the first three columns and the first row.
Oh, right; I had that in my original Excel sheet but I forgot to turn that on in Docs. It's been fixed now.

quote:

What I could really use is one of these that tells you what the hell you need for everyone's badges. I keep telling myself I'll make a checklist, because I end up going in to see if I have enough materials like once every three battles, but I somehow always convince myself I'm going to remember.
I thought about doing that too, but I wasn't sure the best way to do it. Like, should it just be a flat document or a spreadsheet or what?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Bicyclops posted:

Part of why I am probably losing is that I keep insisting on doing it with Fi, because she has the heart container reward for A ranking it, but I should probably knock it off, because i get my hearts cleared out enough that I'm obviously not going to get an A rank the first time. I knock out the two little imprisoned fairly quickly, but timing it to actually hit the drat toes on the big one without a mosou is just something I'm going to have to practice.

Fun fact: the arc of the bomb item is just outside of his shockwave rang.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I just finished my first go on Legend mode, so far I'm finding this so much more fun than Smash.
I unlocked the "don't flinch on the first hit" upgrade for a bunch of characters and it's been such a tremendous boon to not get pushed back by the bubbles captains generate.

Are any upgrades specifically helpful as this? E.g., how much does the faster capture/more weak point time/etc. stuff really help?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

I thought about doing that too, but I wasn't sure the best way to do it. Like, should it just be a flat document or a spreadsheet or what?

Yeah, it'd be hard to arrange. Plus, I don't think it actually displays what materials you used for previous badges anywhere. There's probably a reason there isn't one up anywhere on the internet yet.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bicyclops posted:

Did you try throwing bombs at his toes until you build up a special attack?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You can also just dodge straight through Imprisoned's shockwaves. Once I figured that out, I was able to take him down without taking any damage. Also I saved my special attacks until the end of the fight, because that will break all of his toes instantly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I thought the bombs weren't doing damage, but that they build up a special attack might help. Then I can cut off all his toes and make him crawl around on the ground like a stupid little bug, and cut him up into pieces. Thanks, I'll try bombs.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Imprisoned's lightning is actually what you want him to do, since it's your chance to really go to town on him without fear of damage since it won't hit under him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

The Duke posted:

I just did it, and got 4,100 for my damage. No! I'll have to try again later, but I have so much school work to do drat it.

• Locked thread