Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Torrannor posted:

It's mainly down to tradition, a bit like the situation with Pluto, but unlike planets there is no easy definition for continents. Besides, different countries already view it as part of Asia, so it isn't even universally accepted as a continent. It's still a useful geographic subdivision, containing something like 90% of all Eurasian Christians, just like the Middle East is a useful subdivision of Asia.

There's around 200 million Christians in Asia. Europe has approximately half a billion Christians. So, more like 70% :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

As far as I'm concerned, Europe is a "region", like the Middle East or Central America, and continents are a pretty useless geographic division.

Like, sure, there are lots of times when you habitually want to refer to a continent when you're talking about stuff, but I'm betting that it'd almost always be better and more accurate if you didn't refer to the continent.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
North America

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

After staring at a map of the globe for a minute, I'm struck by this thought: How the heck is Europe still considered a distinct continent in this day and age? Not only is Europe tiny, but there's nothing at all physically separating it from Asia. They're a contiguous landmass. Shouldn't they really just be considered one continent? If euros really want to be cheeky about how different they are from Asians, they can be a subcontinent like India.

The steppe separates it from the properly populated parts of Asia, and has also functioned as a sort of no man's land between European and Asian civilizations for millenia. It's not really a proper geographical border, but makes a lot of sense as a cultural one along with the Urals, Caucasus and Bosphorus.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Torrannor posted:

It's a commonwealth but not part of the United States?

Weird BIAS posted:

Canada is a part of the British Commonwealth of Nations, which excludes those US states and Canada does not refer to itself as a commonwealth as those US states do.

Jokes fellas, look them up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

An older map than from 1994 would probably show the general divide better, but this will serve.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It basically comes down to us conquering/dominating nearly everything else. And making the first accurate world maps. So we could call our peninsula a continent, while nobody was in a position to disagree. Deal with it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Torrannor posted:

It basically comes down to us conquering/dominating nearly everything else. And making the first accurate world maps. So we could call our peninsula a continent, while nobody was in a position to disagree. Deal with it.

And soon it will be one nation instead of one continent.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

computer parts posted:

Third time's the charm, huh Germany?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

wdarkk posted:

Third time's the charm, huh Germany Russia?

Fixed that for you.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

computer parts posted:

Well if by "soon" you mean 300 years then maybe. Nobody wants to be "European" over their distinct nationality.

Well, maybe I'm too pessimistic. Who could have predicted what Europe looks like today in 2014 in 1914? Still, I have a hard time seeing it happening, especially if you mean like a nation state.

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 8, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fabulous Knight posted:

Well if by "soon" you mean 300 years then maybe. Nobody wants to be "European" over their distinct nationality.

Well, maybe I'm too pessimistic. Who could have predicted what Europe looks like today in 2014 in 1914? Still, I have a hard time seeing it happening, especially if you mean like a nation state.

All you need's one good secessionist war, especially if the people trying to secede are doing it for dumb racist reasons that you can post facto justify crushing them into the dirt.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

computer parts posted:

All you need's one good secessionist war, especially if the people trying to secede are doing it for dumb racist reasons that you can post facto justify crushing them into the dirt.

I see.

The EU has 28 official languages. Only two of the member states use English as an official language and the rest are not about to give up on speaking their national languages because of an idea of a greater Europe. But as we know, languages are an important tool in constructing local and national identities. A national language almost carries within itself a separate "world" of cultural identity and that is partly why analogies with America, although often used, are a bit shabby. This is just one of the huge problems with the idea of a "national" EU. A federal state is plausible in the near-ish future, but the Eurozone crisis and austerity have, shall we say, ruined the festivities for quite some time to come.

If you actually meant a nation as in a federal state or even used "nation" as a synonym for "country" then I am really being pedantic here and apologize in advance :downs:

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 8, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fabulous Knight posted:

I see.

The EU has 28 official languages. Only two of the member states use English as an official language and the rest are not about to give up on speaking their national languages because of an idea of a greater Europe. But as we know, languages are an important tool in constructing local and national identities. A national language almost carries within itself a separate "world" of cultural identity and that is partly why analogies with America, although often used, are a bit shabby. This is just one of the huge problems with the idea of a "national" EU. A federal state is plausible in the near-ish future, but the Eurozone crisis and austerity have, shall we say, ruined the festivities for quite some time to come.

There's no reason you can't have multiple official languages - hell there's no reason you can't have *no* official language.

Fabulous Knight posted:

If you actually meant a nation as in a federal state or even used "nation" as a synonym for "country" then I am really being pedantic here and apologize in advance :downs:

That is what the US is (or began as), but generally it will slip into a more united sense if the correct influences are there.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Fabulous Knight posted:

I see.

Also considering the recent re-emergence of regionalism in the UK, Belgium, Spain and elsewhere we still have a way to go.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Also considering the recent re-emergence of regionalism in the UK, Belgium, Spain and elsewhere we still have a way to go.

Re-emergence?
And these separatist movements are hardly a hindrance for a more integrated EU. Both the catalan and the scottish indepence movements are decidedly more pro-EU than Spain and the UK, respectively. For them, a Europe of regions makes a lot more sense than the current union of nation states.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

cebrail posted:

Re-emergence?
And these separatist movements are hardly a hindrance for a more integrated EU. Both the catalan and the scottish indepence movements are decidedly more pro-EU than Spain and the UK, respectively. For them, a Europe of regions makes a lot more sense than the current union of nation states.

My point was that National identity hasn't gone anywhere and seems to be strengthened by the EU, more integrated sure, but many of the small countries see the EU as a chance to strike off from Spain, the UK, France etc. Its in their interests to support the EU so long as it remains relatively loose, a European United States is not really what people are looking for. And I say re-emergence because none of these movements were anywhere near as powerful about 40 years ago.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 8, 2014

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well, it's probably by far the richest, whitest part of the inner East Bay, isn't it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhawk,_California

Nope, never underestimate the power of the inner east bay. Danville/Alamo is ultimate FYGM territory.

EDIT: More accurately http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhawk-Camino_Tassajara,_California

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

khwarezm posted:

Regionalism can benefit heavily when there's high level governments above the current states to lessen issues of setting up a new country.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Regionalism can benefit heavily when there's high level governments above the current states to lessen issues of setting up a new country.

See my other post.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

khwarezm posted:

See my other post.

Your other post has nothing to do with it, seeing the European Union hasn't removed constituent state sovereignty yet.

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

khwarezm posted:

My point was that National identity hasn't gone anywhere and seems to be strengthened by the EU, more integrated sure, but many of the small countries see the EU as a chance to strike off from Spain, the UK, France etc. Its in their interests to support the EU so long as it remains relatively loose, a European United States is not really what people are looking for. And I say re-emergence because none of these movements were anywhere near as powerful about 40 years ago.

I know that in Spain, Franco had been busy crushing regional movements and restricting the use of their languages. In the UK I would speculate it has something to do with the splintering of the British Empire and the UK now being just a nation state that is dominated by its English majority population. But someone more knowledgeable than me can probably go into better detail on this.

And France has been decentralizing pretty intensely the last 30 years. I am not exactly sure of the details of why that is. I wouldn't put any of this on the EU though. I also feel that many of these smaller nationalities don't exactly want independence, but greater autonomy in their own affairs.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

JosefStalinator posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhawk,_California

Nope, never underestimate the power of the inner east bay. Danville/Alamo is ultimate FYGM territory.

EDIT: More accurately http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhawk-Camino_Tassajara,_California

Well, the Tri Valley's technically middle east bay, right? I mean as a Fremont-raised guy, I always considered everything north of the Mission hills (e.g. Pleasanton, Livermore) to be "not inner east bay".

But yeah, I remember Alamo on 680 was (is?) one of those places where the East Bay Tea Party would put up its NOBAMA NOVEMBER COMMIE HEALTHCARE signs.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Panas posted:

I know that in Spain, Franco had been busy crushing regional movements and restricting the use of their languages. In the UK I would speculate it has something to do with the splintering of the British Empire and the UK now being just a nation state that is dominated by its English majority population. But someone more knowledgeable than me can probably go into better detail on this.

And France has been decentralizing pretty intensely the last 30 years. I am not exactly sure of the details of why that is. I wouldn't put any of this on the EU though. I also feel that many of these smaller nationalities don't exactly want independence, but greater autonomy in their own affairs.

Scotland's entrance into the EU was a major issue in the recent election, creating a new state that automatically enters the EU and is given access to the EU's Structural funds, the internal market as well as recognition of their languages as fully official is enticing, I feel that people in Scotland or Catalonia would not have considered it a Referendum worthy issue without those factors. In both the cases for Scotland and Catalonia Spain has tried to influence the outcome by suggesting that automatic accession to the EU would not be allowed.

France still doesn't really do much at all to recognize and support minority languages, Brittany doesn't have anything like the autonomy of Wales or the Basque country, recognition of National minorities and decentralization is still far behind most of the rest of Europe.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 9, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nintendo Kid posted:

An older map than from 1994 would probably show the general divide better, but this will serve.

In my mind, "Europe" always encompassed the area surrounding the Mediterranean as well, so I always tended to include the nations of North Africa, Anatolia, and the Levant in "Europe". Anyway, if we draw the boundaries around the purple to orange regions contiguous with "the Western Eurasian Area", we'd get a fairly decently sized continent, a little bigger than Australia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

computer parts posted:

You need something to secede from first. The current EU is basically the US under the Articles of Confederation.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You need something to secede from first. The current EU is basically the US under the Articles of Confederation.

Nothing a good war against the British won't fix. Go ahead, leave the EU. We'll make you come back :unsmigghh:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

khwarezm posted:

Scotland's entrance into the EU was a major issue in the recent election, creating a new state that automatically enters the EU and is given access to the EU's Structural funds, the internal market as well as recognition of their languages as fully official is enticing, I feel that people in Scotland or Catalonia would not have considered it a Referendum worthy issue without those factors. In both the cases for Scotland and Catalonia Spain has tried to influence the outcome by suggesting that automatic accession to the EU would not be allowed.

The President of the EU Commission has said years before the referendum that automatic accession and special exclusions would not be happening. The YES campaign was simply lying.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Riso posted:

The President of the EU Commission has said years before the referendum that automatic accession and special exclusions would not be happening. The YES campaign was simply lying.

The main hope seemed to be that it was a bluff. That, faced with the bureaucracy of disentangling Scotland from the EU, they would just cave and let them right in.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Well, the Tri Valley's technically middle east bay, right? I mean as a Fremont-raised guy, I always considered everything north of the Mission hills (e.g. Pleasanton, Livermore) to be "not inner east bay".

But yeah, I remember Alamo on 680 was (is?) one of those places where the East Bay Tea Party would put up its NOBAMA NOVEMBER COMMIE HEALTHCARE signs.

Yeah, I'm an idiot who wrote inner instead of outer. You're right - Alamo/Danville is either outer or middle east bay.

Also - the LaRouche people are active by the (one) Safeway in Alamo. I think they attract tea party people with the IMPEACH OBAMA signs.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

If someone could find a map of this, I'd appreciate it, but in the 60's Virginia Beach annexed all of Princess Anne County, making it the largest city in Virginia by area.

Virginia is a special circumstance though as it is a commonwealth.

Here, have a map of the 4 commonwealths in the US.

No Puerto Rico? At least they are a commonwealth that is part of the US where commonwealth means it's something different from a state. Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts are just fooling themselves.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Incoming Brittanypost

Panas posted:

The current debate on decentralization does include some talk of the EU, about creating regions of "European size". There's also a lot of comparison with German länder as proposed ideal level of decentralization. I don't know how things are going to shake out entirely but at the moment it seems like the new law is basically just going to transfer a lot of powers from departments and consolidate a lot of the smaller intercommunalités in the name of administrative efficiency. Of course, the law hasn't been voted on at all so we'll see what happens but as it stands decentralization is kind of a misnomer for the current efforts.

And you're right that separatism is a minority opinion among smaller nationalities in France. It's unclear how strong support is for autonomy, polls aren't really taken on that question and election results don't show much support. The question itself is pretty touchy, I remember in 2012 when Bretons magazine commissioned a poll about separatism where 18% of people, including 53% of young people, expressed support for it the initial issue was quickly pulled from the shelves and then republished with a less provocative headline. I'm not saying it was a big conspiracy or anything, it's just a fairly taboo subject to talk about in public, no action from shadowy cabals needed. I'd be really interested in a poll on autonomy and separatism following the Bonnets Rouges movement and the Scottish referendum but I doubt we'll see anything like that anytime soon. There was a record protest a couple of weeks ago for the reunification of Brittany, the main demand of Breton nationalists and cultural activists (I consider myself to be in the second category) so people are a lot more riled up than before.

khwarezm posted:

France still doesn't really do much at all to recognize and support minority languages, Brittany doesn't have anything like the autonomy of Wales or the Basque country, recognition of National minorities and decentralization is still far behind most of the rest of Europe.

France's "support" of minority languages extends to allowing private immersion schools to exist and creating bilingual public schools. In the public schools it must be 50/50 French and the other language, but given that nearly everything outside of school is in French this isn't a very effective means of teaching the language. It's certainly better than it was 30 years ago but still pretty poo poo.

Recognition of any sort of minority is a touchy issue for many in France as the state is officially colorblind towards ethnic or cultural minorities.

Speaking of maps, a bit about the current territorial reorganization of France from 22 regions to, as the current proposal stands, 13. Initially the Ayrault government wanted 12 regions, including a merger of Brittany and Pays de la Loire. Jean-Yves Le Drian, current defense minister, former president of the Brittany regional council and close friend of Hollande convinced the President that it wasn't a particularly good idea as it was being proposed at the height of the Bonnets Rouges movement and could lead to more serious problems. Alsace is currently being folded into Lorraine and Champagne, despite the protests down there. Manuel Valls recently stated that the government didn't want Alsace to be on its own and thus "withdrawn into itself". There's a lot of fear in Brittany that we'll get fused with Pays de la Loire and maybe Centre later once things have calmed down a bit, but there are rumors floating around that Centre was left alone so that a law could be passed allowing Loire Atlantique to join Brittany and then the rest of Pays de la Loire to be fused with Centre. Who the hell knows really.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The EU is supposed to be ruled bottom up; it even says so in treaties. The reality however is top down.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Hey, Soviet Commubot, I was looking up a bit about Breton Nationalism during the war and its reaction to the occupation and I found this:

Its from the mid thirties, concerning some nationalists who were obsessed with the 'Irish example'. Some joined the Bezen Perrot and subsequently fled to Ireland after the war. you wouldn't know much about this would you? I'm surprised to see Pearse and the gang being lauded as martyrs for a totally different country.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

khwarezm posted:

Hey, Soviet Commubot, I was looking up a bit about Breton Nationalism during the war and its reaction to the occupation and I found this:

Its from the mid thirties, concerning some nationalists who were obsessed with the 'Irish example'. Some joined the Bezen Perrot and subsequently fled to Ireland after the war. you wouldn't know much about this would you? I'm surprised to see Pearse and the gang being lauded as martyrs for a totally different country.

In the 30s and 40s most of the fascists in Brittany were obsessed with Ireland, being the only independent Celtic country, and more than a few of them viewed the Irish as the most "pure" of the Celtic race. If you read French and want to see some crazy Celtic racism go read Celestin Lainé manifesto "Nos deux bases: Irlande et Prusse", "Our two bases: Ireland and Prussia". The Breiz Atao, Bezen Perrot, and other related groups were (and the tiny group of the same name still is) straight up Nazis who paraded around in Nazi uniforms during the war and went around killing suspected communists and Resistance members with the patronage of the German authorities. These groups were much smaller than the "Paotred ar c'hoad" pro-Allied resistance groups which were made up mostly of Gaullists except for the communist groups in central Brittany near Carhaix and the Monts d'Arre.

Guys like Olier Mordrel and Celestin Lainé wanted to create their own IRA and had been in contact with the Germans prior to the war to try to get weapons and support for a planned uprising but the Germans decided it wasn't worth the effort and they believed (correctly, it turns out) that Mordrel and Lainé vastly overstated the amount of popular support they had.

Ireland is where most Breton nationalists go when they get in too much trouble in France, this is true for both the Nazis in the 40s and the left wingers from the FLB-ARB in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Even now a lot of militants go to Ireland to study for a year or two during university although more and more go to Wales.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Given the absolute dominance of Paris, would a more federalized system even make sense for France? I get that it is kinda tautological, Paris is absolutely culturally and politically dominant because Paris is absolutely culturally and politically dominant, but isn't that also really true?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ArchangeI posted:

Nothing a good war against the British won't fix. Go ahead, leave the EU. We'll make you come back :unsmigghh:
I think the war on workers and the subsequent debt crisis in Europe is a fine stand-in for the debt the early US accrued when trying to gain its independence, and which eventually forced centralization unto the US.

3peat
May 6, 2010

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

:stonk: Good god that would be terrifying for a non-native to try and navigate, and I thought Moscow's was pretty awful when I lived there:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

fermun posted:

No Puerto Rico? At least they are a commonwealth that is part of the US where commonwealth means it's something different from a state. Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts are just fooling themselves.

Virginia has the best claim to the term in the continental US. It has weird quirks (like independent cities) that go back to the original settlements.

Good point on Puerto Rico though. It should definitely be on that map.