Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
Some rats are just skinny, but I would start weighing them and keep a journal if you're concerned about it.

Edit: If you really want them to eat the Regal Rat, just stop giving them other food until they finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Yeah, my skinny rat is definitely the alpha rat. Or is just really really possessive.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
They're now at home and happy! :D

E: More of them, then I'll stop I promise! :)

ShiroTheSniper fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Oct 7, 2014

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

You'd better post more pictures. We wouldn't want them getting RES.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

ShiroTheSniper posted:

E: More of them, then I'll stop I promise! :)

You'd better not stop posting pictures. I need my cute rat fix. :colbert:

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Ok ok, here's some more! :)

Kiss! :3:

Camouflaged in the hammock!

Parrotstalking
Oct 6, 2012
Joining the Ratopulace with these three butts:

blinky

blurry

They're about 300 grams heavier now than when these pics were taken, about a month ago. THEY GROW SO FAST.
I decided to get them because 1) I'm in a veterinary program and want to be able to treat small mammals and other exotics, and therefore I should probably own some, and 2) rats are super cute.

The gray (sweetest and meekest) already came down with the runs from a protozoan bacterial load, so I'm starting her on antibiotics tonight. Gray and white is the super active explorer, and brown and white is the most scaredy. All are adorable.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
My friend's rat is starting to display some odd symptoms and I was hoping that somebody here might have an idea of what's up. Her rat Dorne has been sick with a URI for awhile, and has been on antibiotics and treated with a nebulizer. We've been having to force feed him for a week or so because he just won't eat anything. Today she sends me a video of him walking very strangely. He'll walk a bit, then make a sudden, violent hop. She also says his front paws keep crossing when he walks. Has anyone here dealt with this before?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

My friend's rat is starting to display some odd symptoms and I was hoping that somebody here might have an idea of what's up. Her rat Dorne has been sick with a URI for awhile, and has been on antibiotics and treated with a nebulizer. We've been having to force feed him for a week or so because he just won't eat anything. Today she sends me a video of him walking very strangely. He'll walk a bit, then make a sudden, violent hop. She also says his front paws keep crossing when he walks. Has anyone here dealt with this before?
Does he occasially roll over, hold his head weird while favouring a single side? If he does, I'm familiar with that. It's either a brain tumor or a complication from a mycoplasma infection that influences the sense of balance. The former is unfixable. The latter might go away with enough treatment, but if it has progressed that far chances are bad. Neither is pleasant for the rat.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

Today she sends me a video of him walking very strangely. He'll walk a bit, then make a sudden, violent hop.

I had a rat that did this. It sounds a lot like he had a stroke or some other brain injury. These aren't really treatable and you might want to consider his quality of life. Sorry. :(

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

buffybot posted:

I had a rat that did this. It sounds a lot like he had a stroke or some other brain injury. These aren't really treatable and you might want to consider his quality of life. Sorry. :(

:sigh: That's what I figured. I think his respiratory thing is preventing him from getting enough oxygen. I just texted her and I'm waiting to hear back. I feel so bad because in the last two weeks she's sunk like $300 into his care and is really distressed about his illness.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Rats can also make those violent sudden jumps when in respiratory distress. Whether its just that or hes had a stroke etc, it just sounds like the poor guy is really ill, and at that point I would have him pts to end his suffering. :(

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Big Bug Hug posted:

Rats can also make those violent sudden jumps when in respiratory distress. Whether its just that or hes had a stroke etc, it just sounds like the poor guy is really ill, and at that point I would have him pts to end his suffering. :(

So I guess he may be getting better! Today he ate on his own and started sniffing things, so I'm guessing his nose is starting to clear up. He took the flavored medicine with no issues and even chowed down on the medical gruel the vet prescribed him.

I'm feeling a little more optimistic after hearing that. The symptoms sound like a tumor, but the vets didn't point anything like that out on his x-rays a week ago. Let's hope he continues to pull through.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

So I guess he may be getting better! Today he ate on his own and started sniffing things, so I'm guessing his nose is starting to clear up. He took the flavored medicine with no issues and even chowed down on the medical gruel the vet prescribed him.

I'm feeling a little more optimistic after hearing that. The symptoms sound like a tumor, but the vets didn't point anything like that out on his x-rays a week ago. Let's hope he continues to pull through.

That's great! I hope he gets better. Voluntarily eating his medicine will make things easier!

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I noticed this morning that one of my rats seems to be struggling to get around a bit :( she seems totally happy and fine, eating normally and everything, but she's stopped climbing completely and if I put her back in the cage on one of the higher platforms (there are no ramps), she appears to be stuck. She walks around awkwardly flatfooted on her back feet. Her sister is fine, running and climbing all around as usual. They're both a few months past two years old. I put them both on my shoulders this morning and she wasn't grasping at all with her back feet, so she couldn't really hang on like normal.

Is this a sign of old age/normal for an older rat? Should I take her to a vet? My first pair of rats were PetsMart rats and both (separately) died really suddenly with no warning, so I didn't really experience this. What should I be watching out for and doing to help her out?

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
Most old rats get some sort of hind leg degeneration. They'll start dragging their back legs and not be able to climb ramps as well. You can take her to the vet but they're probably going to tell you the same thing and to make the cage easier to move around in. Make sure you don't have loose towels or stuff that they could get tangled up in their back legs. Some sites recommend having some sort of fabric stretched out so they can grab and pull using their front legs. Make sure water and food are at a low enough level so they don't need to stand to reach them. Look up "hind leg paralysis" for more info. It's fairly common though and easy to accommodate.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Thank you! I'm probably disproportionately upset but she seems happy and I'm reorienting everything in the cage to be floor level accessible.

E: repeated myself!

mareep fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 16, 2014

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Hind limb degeneration is a badge of honor for a rat! It means they've made it to a good old age :)

Just be glad she's not climbing. My last old boy wouldn't stop trying to go up and down the ramp, stumbling down the last few steps. When I took that away, he was still trying to get to the top shelf by climbing the cage wall. He always was pig headed though.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hello, Rat Thread! Have some rats!

Ignore the terrible state of the chair; that's their playground.

You can see which one I managed to get to hold still longer.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

dovetaile posted:

Hello, Rat Thread! Have some rats!

You can see which one I managed to get to hold still longer.

:3: Cute rats, how old're they?

And on this subject;

Moxxi by straygiraffe, on Flickr

Chell by straygiraffe, on Flickr

It's hard to see irl, but as you can see in the photo one of Chell's eyes looks a little red/scabby? Not sure what's caused that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fraction posted:

It's hard to see irl, but as you can see in the photo one of Chell's eyes looks a little red/scabby? Not sure what's caused that.
Porphyrin. It's a reddish substance that rats release from their eyes and nose when they are stressed or in discomfort.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I've heard of/seen porphyrin, just haven't seen it up close in an image before I guess! Good to know it isn't something awful though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, when dry it looks rather uncomfortably like dried blood. Makes sense, of course, since it's a component of hemoglobin.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

dovetaile posted:

Rats 1, Furniture 0. You will never get the pee smell out.

Hoodies are a rat's natural environment. This is adorable. :3

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Fraction, they're just under a year old (I got them in January of this year). And yours are adorable too!

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Dorne died on Sunday. :( He was starting to get better, but we went out for a few hours and when my friend got home he was stiff. We gave him a little funeral in the mountains.

His cage mate Mereen seems to be taking it ok. He's a little squirrelly now that he can't climb all over his brother and the baby is still too small for him to play with. Hopefully within the next two weeks Greg will be big enough that he can play in the big cage.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Loving all the beautiful photos! I've never taken good rat photos, probably because I never had a proper camera. And my rats never sit still.

Dorne died on Sunday. :( He was starting to get better, but we went out for a few hours and when my friend got home he was stiff. We gave him a little funeral in the mountains.

His cage mate Mereen seems to be taking it ok. He's a little squirrelly now that he can't climb all over his brother and the baby is still too small for him to play with. Hopefully within the next two weeks Greg will be big enough that he can play in the big cage.

That sucks. I'm sorry :(

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Atalanta is walking with a massive hunch in her back :( she doesn't seem to be in pain at all and isn't acting any differently but she's walking around with a perfect back arch. She actually seems to be getting around more warily than she was the other day, but is very lethargic all the time. I find her up in a hammock quite often and she can climb up on the little trunk shaped house I bought for them and slide off it with some ease.

She seems fine but the arch is making me feel terrible. :smith:

e: this sudden onset of health problems recently combined with their old age has got me looking around for another pair of girls in case for when Nyx gets left alone, and I'm coming up with a big bunch of nothing. I'd rather not get another pair of Petsmart rats. There is a really genuinely fantastic local chain of pet stores in this area, but the only two stores nearby have male rats, and it seems like they only sell them when people bring in babies (which seems weird but the store is such high quality, nothing like Petsmart/Petco, and the animals they do have seem incredibly well cared for). The nearest breeder is an hour and a half away and hasn't responded to any communication. Another one, three hours away, did and I'd even picked out a pair of babies before backing out due to distance, unfamiliarity with the area, I'd have to make the drive alone and don't feel comfortable doing it, etc. The tone of her emails gave me a really bad vibe as well, and I'm starting to be really put off by breeder websites (dwarf rats? Since when is that a thing?).

Do I go the Petsmart route? The pair of boys at the local pet store look so healthy, I wish I could get them, but I'd prefer girls over neutering, and they don't seem to be a reliable place to go if Atalanta should pass unexpectedly :(

mareep fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 24, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:3:

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

redcheval posted:

Do I go the Petsmart route? The pair of boys at the local pet store look so healthy, I wish I could get them, but I'd prefer girls over neutering, and they don't seem to be a reliable place to go if Atalanta should pass unexpectedly :(

Have you checked to see if there are any rodent rescues in the area? Barring that, I think getting rats from a chain store isn't necessarily bad. Especially if nearby breeders are of questionable quality.

As far as the arch thing, I know you said she doesn't seem like she's in any pain, but that's a classic pain signal. Very strange.

Oh goodness, that is adorable.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I thought I'd read that in the thread, but she seems just as fine if I pick her up, and while generally pretty lethargic and not getting around very far is acting pretty normal. She just walks around like a spooked cat.

I would imagine rats hide their illnesses/injuries instinctively and I just don't want her to be in pain. Should I keep an eye on her or is this a euthanasia situation? :ohdear: sorry to spam the thread with my ratty woes, I just really want to make sure I'm doing the best for her.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Greg House, Medical Dumbo. He's 90% feet and super soft.

Edit: Do dumbos stay soft and fluffy or is he just like that because he's a baby? His coat feels like a mouse's.

Grape Juice Vampire fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 24, 2014

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Edit: Do dumbos stay soft and fluffy or is he just like that because he's a baby? His coat feels like a mouse's right now.

It's a baby rat thing. But there is variation in adult coat quality! Diet can make a difference there imo.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

buffybot posted:

As far as the arch thing, I know you said she doesn't seem like she's in any pain, but that's a classic pain signal. Very strange.

One of my rats always seems to arch his back, but it seems more like a fear response since he only does it if someone unfamiliar is in the room or if I startle him awake. His breathing does seem squeaky though, so I'm starting to fear the worst.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

redcheval posted:

I thought I'd read that in the thread, but she seems just as fine if I pick her up, and while generally pretty lethargic and not getting around very far is acting pretty normal. She just walks around like a spooked cat.

I would imagine rats hide their illnesses/injuries instinctively and I just don't want her to be in pain. Should I keep an eye on her or is this a euthanasia situation? :ohdear: sorry to spam the thread with my ratty woes, I just really want to make sure I'm doing the best for her.

Do you know if she's been losing weight? Are her eating and drinking and pooping habits regular? Are her poops of normal consistency? Is she producing more porphyrin? When you check for lumps does she seem protective if you touch her in a specific location? If you've been keeping an eye on her and nothing seems amiss, I wouldn't worry about it. It never hurts to take them to the vet but I wouldn't bother if she seems fine otherwise.

Edit: Do dumbos stay soft and fluffy or is he just like that because he's a baby? His coat feels like a mouse's.

It's a baby rat thing. Enjoy it while you can. :3:

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
Some of my girls have stayed soft like bunnies, so it definitely varies from rat to rat.

If the boys are neutered before their hormones get going they may keep a softer coat as well.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Jin Wicked posted:

Some of my girls have stayed soft like bunnies, so it definitely varies from rat to rat.

If the boys are neutered before their hormones get going they may keep a softer coat as well.

Ehhh I have a male who was neutered young and while he has a very nice coat, it is defs coarser than the girls.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

One of my guys was neutered young as well and he's definitely substantially softer than his intact cage mate. It might be genetics, though. I got the other guy when he was half a year old and I don't remember him ever being softer than he is now. Except when I fed him too much once, but that's a different kind of softness.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Thanks buffybot, I really appreciate your help. Other than general lethargy she's completely normal. I'm not sure exactly how this works, but with the arch in her back, she sort of looks 'pinched' around the spine. She looks somehow much skinnier on her back, although her belly and weight and everything appear to remain unchanged. I would theorize it has to do with some kind of bone degeneration or something. Either way, I think she must not have much time left, but she's getting crazy cuddles!

And I brought two babies home :ohdear: PetsMart, unfortunately, but the condition of the store is really nice and the employees were surprisingly knowledgeable. I was also really pleased with the associate, who was accurately identifying which were the more skittish and more friendly babies for me. They're doing really well and are incredibly :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Arched backs are definitely a sign of pain most of the time. The rest of the time they usually indicate social aggression. You could try giving her some painkillers, to see if that helps in any way. Ibuprofen is a fairly safe choice, just get a 100mg tablet and crush it. 20-50mg are supposedly safe, so dosage ought to be easy to determine.