Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

Thanks for this thread, folks.

I'm a chess guy and have always wanted to play Go, but just never got around to it for some reason.

The info here really lit the fire, though, and after playing around with glGo for a bit I ordered a set from Yellow Mountain yesterday. Hopefully I'll suck somewhat less after playing with an actual, physical board for awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

The best way to suck less is to get online and play people! If you register on https://online-go.com/ and add "oiseaux" to your friends list I will give you free teaching games. Having a goban is good for playing out problems and working through books, though

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

Lagrange posted:

Thanks for this thread, folks.

I'm a chess guy and have always wanted to play Go, but just never got around to it for some reason.

The info here really lit the fire, though, and after playing around with glGo for a bit I ordered a set from Yellow Mountain yesterday. Hopefully I'll suck somewhat less after playing with an actual, physical board for awhile.

Floor board or go home. :colbert:

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

AdorableStar posted:

Yep. Once I'm in, I'm in.

o.m. 94 posted:

The best way to suck less is to get online and play people! If you register on https://online-go.com/ and add "oiseaux" to your friends list I will give you free teaching games. Having a goban is good for playing out problems and working through books, though

Thanks for this. I may take you up on it after I play around with glGo a bit more and finish going through some of the teaching/learning resources I found in this thread. Teaching games will probably do me more good once I have the basics sorted out.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
add me too! im no teacher though

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

You can add me too on OGS, but probably best to stick to playing some of the other guys until you're 10k or so. Not that I'm a snob about playing beginners, just that when the rank differential is too great, you actually learn less by playing against someone stronger compared to someone closer to your own level. Though if you want to play 9x9 or something in the meantime, I'm game.

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

I've been quietly lurking here, but if you're totally new, then I'd love to get some games in sometime. I've only played Go a little bit, and only once against another human (I lost horribly). I'm making an account, too! :)

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
also theres an SA group on there that you should join :)

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

AdorableStar posted:

Floor boards are the poo poo. I used to have like a dozen of them from when my local go club moved to a smaller building (they had maybe 75 in closets), but I gave most of them away.

ynef
Jun 12, 2002

uranus posted:

also theres an SA group on there that you should join :)
What's it called?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

SA. Holler at me and I'll add you, I'm on the admin list on the group page

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Also read Xom's stuff it's all really good

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

ynef posted:

What's it called?

Get used to the anime club kibitzing your every game forever though~

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

asylum years posted:

Get used to the anime club kibitzing your every game forever though~

I am going to judge you by your fuseki.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Just randomly got challenged to Hex, and won by Go-analogy tactics.

:hellyeah:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Xom posted:

Just randomly got challenged to Hex, and won by Go-analogy tactics.

:hellyeah:

Nice. The few times I played hex it felt a lot like 9x9 baduk.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I often say learning Go made me much better at boardgames in general, but probably 80% of the gain is just from understanding miai.

Here's a potential misconception about miai. Recently I was discussing a position with two ways to kill, and someone said they were miai. No, I said, miai is when no matter which choice your opponent takes, you can take the other in response, as opposed to in the position being discussed, where if the opponent were allowed to play first, neither killing move would still work.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Xom posted:

I often say learning Go made me much better at boardgames in general, but probably 80% of the gain is just from understanding miai.

Here's a potential misconception about miai. Recently I was discussing a position with two ways to kill, and someone said they were miai. No, I said, miai is when no matter which choice your opponent takes, you can take the other in response, as opposed to in the position being discussed, where if the opponent were allowed to play first, neither killing move would still work.

That's because some people vaguely give the definition of miai as "two equivalent points". When in the majority of cases, that's two equivalent points for black and white and not just one colour.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Yeah, some of the general principles of Go will help you a lot in a wide variety of games. The two big ones are miai and hunting for multi-purpose moves... but also sometimes stuff like sente, inducing moves, probes, the principle of mutual damage, aji and honte.

I'd say the best game to branch out to if you like Go but want something a little different is The Game of the Amazons, which you can play on Little Golem. It's an area control game like Go, but which features moving pieces.

ynef
Jun 12, 2002

o.m. 94 posted:

Alright, can you please add IPFreely? :)

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

ynef posted:

Alright, can you please add IPFreely? :)

Tried to add you on my old rear end phone but I'm renting an apartment in Barcelona for a bit so may have to do this when I come back home as the signal is crap and the site isn't working well for me! Soz

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Wikipedia posted:

The term originates from the Japanese custom of arranging marriage through a series of meetings (miai) to view prospective spouses (見る miru, "view", 合う au, "meet").

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
came back to just barely win this one after a dumb move in the opening that lost me some stones for no reason

http://online-go.com/game/916325

i'm wondering what the best way would have been to stop the invasion in the center, and if there was a way to stop it without any loss

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

came back to just barely win this one after a dumb move in the opening that lost me some stones for no reason

http://online-go.com/game/916325

i'm wondering what the best way would have been to stop the invasion in the center, and if there was a way to stop it without any loss

Black 7 should probably be at q5.
I'd probably prefer K3 than K4 for white 8, but it's something I'm really iffy on. For that matter, I think white 6 is more normal low rather than high, so white 8 should be played high? Does anyone know? When the low chinese is played against me I usually approach the 4-4 stone so I don't know much about this variation. :shrug:

White 12 should be at d14.

Black 13 should probably be at j16 since now he's going to get into a huge running battle and gg you gave white the left side while he's attacking you. (As long as your group on the right doesn't die)

Not sure what you should do after black jumps out a third time, but that tower peep is premature. I would say this is a case for playing a crosscut tesuji by playing L17 after black H14, but instead of playing L16 in response, black can just K14 atari and rip.

Instead of white 16, I'm considering either jumping out again or playing G15. Don't ask me why I feel G15 is a move, I'm only 5k and it's probably some kind of running battle thing I've seen in dan games a long time ago and misinterpreted.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

o.m. 94 posted:

Could you add morn? I've been wanting to play for a while as it seems fun. I'm still pretty new to the game though.

RoboBlaster
Mar 25, 2005

Run, Robot, Run.

mornhaven posted:

Could you add morn? I've been wanting to play for a while as it seems fun. I'm still pretty new to the game though.

Invite sent!

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

so I haven't played in about 6 months or so. I'm about to get off a project that, coincidentally, has consumed my life for the last 6 months.

I was always 30k on OGS but now it's listed me as 21k. Huh. I guess it assumed I was practicing on my own or something.

Anyways, hopefully I can get back in the swing of things, I miss getting curbstomped by people a lot better at this than me.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
wooo, pander. they fixed their ranking system, you were never 30k after your first few games. 30k is someone who has just looked at a go board for the first time.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

wooo, pander. they fixed their ranking system, you were never 30k after your first few games. 30k is someone who has just looked at a go board for the first time.

Stop using ogs's ranking system as a measure, basically.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

OGS ranking system is fine, everyone is offset about 2 ranks from KGS

None of this matters

It's all relative

Play Go until you start losing more than you win, then overcome that, and your rank goes up

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Join the tournament shitlords

https://online-go.com/tournament/3203

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

o.m. 94 posted:

OGS ranking system is fine, everyone is offset about 2 ranks from KGS

None of this matters

It's all relative

Play Go until you start losing more than you win, then overcome that, and your rank goes up

What if you ONLY lose when you play?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Pander posted:

Stop playing people 9+ stones stronger every match.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Pander posted:

Everything seems to be in order here

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
this 9x9 game is a good example of some beginner mistakes not to make https://online-go.com/game/965114

first mistake was mine, in underestimating my opponent based on rank and thinking he wouldnt know how to kill me in the corner.

second was him taking two unnecessary moves to kill me when i was already dead and letting me come back to win.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i still feel very unsure in the opening and think way to long about moves that probably don't matter that much, and find the game sort of frustrating until midgame when i can actually formulate goals.

i'm wondering if this means i should start picking fights in the early game to sort of hurry along the opening, and what the best way to do this is.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

i still feel very unsure in the opening and think way to long about moves that probably don't matter that much, and find the game sort of frustrating until midgame when i can actually formulate goals.

i'm wondering if this means i should start picking fights in the early game to sort of hurry along the opening, and what the best way to do this is.

Don't pick fights randomly. It's not helpful to say, "I don't know where to play now so I guess WE ARE FIGHTING NOW." Just try to find your version of what the most urgent/biggest move is.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

I kind of disagree with Khel. You shouldn't play totally unreasonable moves to force a fight, but unless your opponent is being totally unreasonable, generally what you want to be doing in the opening and early middle game is committing slight overplays. If your opponent lets you get away with them, you will creep ahead, whereas if he does start a fight, it's really hard to punish a minor overplay especially at kyu level, so you'll basically have a fair fight.

Whether at kyu level or dan level, this is the basic strategy, but stronger players tend to be better both at positional judgment and at fighting, so what constitutes a "slight" overplay is more subtle. But generally what you want to do in the opening is be fleet-footed. Don't dive deep into the opponent's area of influence for no reason, but just tenuki a lot, pretty much any time you don't feel like the opponent doesn't have one perfect move in the area that you have to prevent him from playing. You'll naturally leave some stones weak in doing so, and he'll attack, and then you can first defend and then counterattack and boom, you're in the middlegame.

That's assuming you're comfortable defending. If you're better at attacking, then it's better to play thick moves at first and then attack severely when your opponent exposes a weakness. But if spotting weaknesses was your strength you wouldn't have this problem. I feel like thick-and-patient is a better strategy at dan level anyway, or has been for me. Back when I was an IGS SDK, playing light, fast-paced openings and becoming comfortable with sabaki and sacrifice tactics was what spurred a sudden leap in ranks.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I thought Uranus meant that he was just going to randomly invade or make a contact move and say "WE ARE FIGHTING NOW" for the sake of it. My last game that I just had with Wasuji is an example of me saying that, but I think it's at least warranted in the situation?

Wasuji had cut on the wrong side and I ended with sente - I played the large knight's enclosure to "pressure" the m3 stone and get myself an enclosure at the same time.

I wonder now if allowing him a two space extension was an okay thing to do, but I thought I would be able to attack him for a long time either 1. Building the left or 2. Ruining the large moyo he was trying to go for with the sanrensei. At any rate, he made a three space extension and I jumped right in the middle of it telling him to fight me. It started a running attack/defence and fighting that lasted through the entire board almost for the entire game. I ended up winning by luck, but I guess we both misplayed at some point(s) or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i guess i mean that the opening doesnt seem as fun to me right now. for the first 10-20 moves im usually feeling like 'when is the game going to start'