Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

I haven't watched any of this season. Should I stay away?

The first episode of Homeland this season wasn't great or anything, but it did have a couple solid tense scenes amid the flotsam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

I'm conflicted about this. On the one hand, I found that show utterly hilarious, so it'd be great to have more. On the other hand, I really respected the show's willingness to end with a suitably ridiculous, definitive ending. If they retcon it or ignore it, I'll be disappointed, but if any show is capable of pulling off making things more ridiculous, it's that one, so I'll be on board.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I still haven't mustered up the will to finish season TWO of Homeland.

What a shame that show went sideways so severely. :(

The show's continuing freefall of quality is just more proof that having them puss out and not have Brody's suicide bombing work at the end of season one was terrible and cowardly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The show's continuing freefall of quality is just more proof that having them puss out and not have Brody's suicide bombing work at the end of season one was terrible and cowardly.

Yeah, by this point it's evident that they have no idea how to course correct. I mean, gently caress, it's only last season that they were still holding onto Dana Brody so badly that they ended up having to edit out entire chunks of episodes to salvage some acclaim.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Wasn't that more of an exec's decision?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone remember the MTV sitcom Apt 2F? I was thinking about it today and I remember it being pretty funny but I haven't watched it since it originally ran in 97. It starred the Sklar brothers and looking at the IMDB page it had a hell of a guest list.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What do all these numbers mean?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And they pussed out on the thing in the premiere that might have made me take it remotely serious, but... I was also laughing my rear end off and saying (don't mouseover this if you still care about Homeland) DROWN THE BABY the whole time, so I don't know. Homeland's 24 pedigree keeps getting more and more apparent and Danes' and Patinkin's acting is more and more unable to overcome it. I also got so bored of it last night that I went to bed 2/3 through. I'm not sure how much longer I'll stay with it.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

While that would have made for an awesome one-season show, I can't blame them for not figuring out how to keep the show going if they did that. His story and his and Carrie's relationship basically was the show. The first half of season 2 was actually pretty great too, they really managed to make keeping him alive seem to pay off. Then it just kinda turns into 24 with a few really good actors trying to elevate their mediocre material.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Late Show with David Letterman

Anderson Cooper; Gina Rodriguez. Also: Hatsune Miku performs.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Postal Parcel posted:

Wow, you're right. I just checked TVBTN

code:
8:00PM 	
	CBS 	NCIS 			2.6 	9 	17.08
	NBC 	The Voice (8-10PM) 	2.4 	8 	9.00
	CW 	The Flash 		1.8 	6 	4.50
	ABC 	Selfie 			1.1 	4 	3.90
	FOX 	Family Guy -R (8-9PM) 	0.9 	3 	1.98

9:00PM 	
	CBS 	NCIS: New Orleans 	2.3 	7 	15.34
	ABC 	S.H.I.E.L.D. 		1.6 	5 	4.39
	FOX 	New Girl 		1.3 	4 	2.55
	CW 	Supernatural 		1.2 	4 	2.79

Fox hit sub CW viewers and sub CW numbers(Mindy pulled a 1.0)

Selfie and MLS are also dead, in case that wasn't obvious.
SHIELD may have also dipped below Sleepy Hollow this week. However, final Tuesday numbers aren't out yet

I don't think it's really fair to compare a Family Guy rerun to a premiere of a new superhero show, but I'm glad that The Flash did well.

Too bad about Selfie though, I really enjoyed both episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, the season finale of the TNT show Legends was on tonight and it had an incredibly stupid plot twist. Part of the show's mystery was that Sean Bean's character finding out that he had been in Iraq during the war but couldn't remember anything, in tonight's episode he finally found out what happened and it was dumb as hell. Basically he was infiltrating an evil PMC and they found Saddam's WMDs, which they then stole for themselves. This is why they were never officially found.

It just seems like a really bizarre plot point, especially since it ended up having no bearing on the actual story because Sean Bean destroys them before they can be moved.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Postal Parcel posted:

Anderson Cooper; Gina Rodriguez. Also: :siren:Hatsune Miku:siren: performs.

Today in Evidence Dave Letterman Stopped Giving A gently caress...

Turtlicious posted:

What do all these numbers mean?

The first is the number of ratings points, which is basically "percentage of all TVs in the country watching this show."
The second is the share, which is "percentage of all TVs that were on during this timeslot watching this show."
The last is a viewership number, which is "the number of people (in millions) who watched this show."

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 9, 2014

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

That was pretty consistently the main through-line of the season. We knew that the next Supreme would manifest multiple powers and then do the test, and apart from that it was more about who made more narrative sense to become the Supreme than just picking one of them and being done. The only thing that bothered me about that was that they didn't focus on Cordelia getting more powerful so it was a bit of a left turn on that account when she became the Supreme, even though it made sense considering the character development between her and Fiona.

But again, I had lowered my expectations a lot going in since so many people disliked it, so I was expecting utter poo poo and I got a pretty fun season instead.

I'd argue that this was the 'narrative' to the Supreme storyline (granted, from memory):

(first or second episode) "The Supreme is the most powerful witch who can do ALL the powers! We other witches only get one super special power!"
"Also, whenever a new Supreme is on the rise, the old Supreme starts to fade."
"Uh oh, Zoe can do weird poo poo to zombies, she might be the new Supreme!"
"Uh oh, Madison might have new powers, she's probably the new Supreme!"
"Uh oh, Misty can resurrect people, so she's obviously the Supreme!"
"Uh oh, now EVERYONE'S manifesting new powers! Who could possibly be the next Supreme!"
*second to last episode* "Okay, here's how we pick the next Supreme, that's been documented since colonial times, we just needed Fiona to die first before we can figure out who it is."
"Cordelia's the Supreme and now all super confident and proud of being a witch!"

So it turns out everyone can do pretty much every power, they just name the Supreme as whoever fucks up the least when doing the powers test. That's less a consistent narrative and more a desperate need to bait-and-switch the audience over and over and over (on top of a perpetual cycle of killing and raising characters) until finally no one actually cares who the next Supreme is because the show didn't present an even remotely compelling reason TO care.

They lean heavily into a Lalaurie redemption arc, only to pull it at the last minute with, "Haha, nah, she's still real evil."

They kill Queenie on-screen, only to have her apparently resurrect herself off-screen and roll up with a casual, "Hey, I can do that now."

They introduce a character who ends up being THE key to several characters' ultimate fates...in the 9th episode out of 13. His presence isn't even so much as hinted at until Marie Laveau finally name-drops him and immediately he becomes the most important thing in the show.

And like someone said earlier, there was no compelling narrative reason for Misty to get stuck in hell, or Madison to not use any powers at all to stop ZombieTate from choking her out, or Zoe to teleport herself onto spikes, save that it left all the surviving witches holding the bag and going, "Uh, well, I guess it'd have to be Cordelia? Everyone else is dead or unable to un-dead them."

That all doesn't mean you can't enjoy what you watched, but It'd be a stretch at best to call it good.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

xeria posted:

only get one super special power!"

Most everything is right but this.
It's mentioned in the story that witches can have multiple powers, but only the supreme can perform the seven wonders(test).

In the end, AHS:C never really had a main character and made Cordelia it. It ended up feeling like a copout.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mo0 posted:

The first is the number of ratings points, which is basically "percentage of all TVs in the country watching this show."
The second is the share, which is "percentage of all TVs that were on during this timeslot watching this show."
The last is a viewership number, which is "the number of people (in millions) who watched this show."

In reality, they mean nothing. To be fair.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Postal Parcel posted:

Most everything is right but this.
It's mentioned in the story that witches can have multiple powers, but only the supreme can perform the seven wonders(test).

In the end, AHS:C never really had a main character and made Cordelia it. It ended up feeling like a copout.

I stand corrected, then. It's been a year and that's how I remembered one of those initial conversations in the first couple episodes (where they're doing the standard fare "THIS IS MY POWER" series of demonstrations or something).

Edit: And not really having a main character/protagonist is spot-on and another issue. The first few episodes really lead you to believe that it's Zoe -- we enter the Coven world through her eyes, to start -- and then she fades severely into the background through the season's middle episodes, and then suddenly it's Cordelia after all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Postal Parcel posted:

Anderson Cooper; Gina Rodriguez. Also: Hatsune Miku performs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzG5pab0CnU

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I watched the whole thing waiting for the Gorillaz to show up. Now I hate myself. Thanks, David Letterman.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
David Letterman must be thinking: I am so happy to be done with this poo poo in a few months.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What in the gently caress did I just watch here

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Surely the producers are taking the opportunity to troll David in his final months.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

muscles like this? posted:

Man, the season finale of the TNT show Legends was on tonight and it had an incredibly stupid plot twist. Part of the show's mystery was that Sean Bean's character finding out that he had been in Iraq during the war but couldn't remember anything, in tonight's episode he finally found out what happened and it was dumb as hell. Basically he was infiltrating an evil PMC and they found Saddam's WMDs, which they then stole for themselves. This is why they were never officially found.

It just seems like a really bizarre plot point, especially since it ended up having no bearing on the actual story because Sean Bean destroys them before they can be moved.

This is the same exact plot twist for one of the leads in Strike Back hilariously.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've loved Sean Bean as an actor since I was a watching him in Sharpe as a kid. It's a loving tragedy that his career got stuck in a rut of "character actor who dies" and has now come to the point where he is in such low-rent poo poo as Legends. I really thought that Game of Thrones was going to get him into better roles.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

xeria posted:

I'd argue that this was the 'narrative' to the Supreme storyline (granted, from memory):

(first or second episode) "The Supreme is the most powerful witch who can do ALL the powers! We other witches only get one super special power!"
"Also, whenever a new Supreme is on the rise, the old Supreme starts to fade."
"Uh oh, Zoe can do weird poo poo to zombies, she might be the new Supreme!"
"Uh oh, Madison might have new powers, she's probably the new Supreme!"
"Uh oh, Misty can resurrect people, so she's obviously the Supreme!"
"Uh oh, now EVERYONE'S manifesting new powers! Who could possibly be the next Supreme!"
*second to last episode* "Okay, here's how we pick the next Supreme, that's been documented since colonial times, we just needed Fiona to die first before we can figure out who it is."
"Cordelia's the Supreme and now all super confident and proud of being a witch!"

So it turns out everyone can do pretty much every power, they just name the Supreme as whoever fucks up the least when doing the powers test. That's less a consistent narrative and more a desperate need to bait-and-switch the audience over and over and over (on top of a perpetual cycle of killing and raising characters) until finally no one actually cares who the next Supreme is because the show didn't present an even remotely compelling reason TO care.

They lean heavily into a Lalaurie redemption arc, only to pull it at the last minute with, "Haha, nah, she's still real evil."

They kill Queenie on-screen, only to have her apparently resurrect herself off-screen and roll up with a casual, "Hey, I can do that now."

They introduce a character who ends up being THE key to several characters' ultimate fates...in the 9th episode out of 13. His presence isn't even so much as hinted at until Marie Laveau finally name-drops him and immediately he becomes the most important thing in the show.

And like someone said earlier, there was no compelling narrative reason for Misty to get stuck in hell, or Madison to not use any powers at all to stop ZombieTate from choking her out, or Zoe to teleport herself onto spikes, save that it left all the surviving witches holding the bag and going, "Uh, well, I guess it'd have to be Cordelia? Everyone else is dead or unable to un-dead them."

That all doesn't mean you can't enjoy what you watched, but It'd be a stretch at best to call it good.

Thinking back, all of this is true (except the part that Postal Parcel already pointed out), and they're all fair. I still enjoyed the season, but in retrospect it was a lot less cohesive than when I watched it. (I blew through it in just a few days so that could also contribute to having glossed over some of the sloppier aspects. Binging a season is fun but it's easy to overestimate a show's quality since you don't have as much time to think about it in between episodes.)

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've loved Sean Bean as an actor since I was a watching him in Sharpe as a kid. It's a loving tragedy that his career got stuck in a rut of "character actor who dies" and has now come to the point where he is in such low-rent poo poo as Legends. I really thought that Game of Thrones was going to get him into better roles.

He put in a good performance in Legends. It wasn't a bad role, he had a bit to work with.

also

muscles like this? posted:

It did kinda have a bearing on the actual story because Sean Bean destroying the weapons was the reason he called in the broken arrow, which was the reason he was injured and lost his memory, which lead to the very existence of the Martin Odum character and the mystery the whole show's been about.

Wandle Cax fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 9, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Party Plane Jones posted:

This is the same exact plot twist for one of the leads in Strike Back hilariously.

Maybe it's just me but the whole Iraq WMD thing is so mired in politics that using it takes me right out of the story.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I wonder how many TVs were turned off in unison that night.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

raditts posted:

.5sh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amazon ordered a second season of Transparent.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Thinking back, all of this is true (except the part that Postal Parcel already pointed out), and they're all fair. I still enjoyed the season, but in retrospect it was a lot less cohesive than when I watched it. (I blew through it in just a few days so that could also contribute to having glossed over some of the sloppier aspects. Binging a season is fun but it's easy to overestimate a show's quality since you don't have as much time to think about it in between episodes.)

Yeah, that's absolutely true (about binging a season vs watching week-to-week as it airs). Even with all the issues I listed, I still really wanted to like Coven as a whole up until they revealed Misty's fate.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

Well considering it was only airing on CBS and CBS-HD it was everyone just switching off 2channels

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

xeria posted:

Yeah, that's absolutely true (about binging a season vs watching week-to-week as it airs). Even with all the issues I listed, I still really wanted to like Coven as a whole up until they revealed Misty's fate.

Yeah man that was total bullshit. Her hell was actually horrible and effective and if they'd really established why that would gently caress her up too badly to escape (we knew she was the nature girl but that shouldn't have meant that she would fail there) then it would've been okay. But they didn't so it wasn't.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The UK Utopia has been cancelled.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

gently caress this entire universe.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

God drat it. Hopefully the Fincher one will be good enough to make up for that a little bit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did s2 end on a cliffhanger?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PriorMarcus posted:

The UK Utopia has been cancelled.

Not surprising since the ratings were absolutely dismal even by British standards (only a couple 100k viewers an episode by the end of it), especially for a relatively expensive show as this.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Under The Dome S3 and Extant S2 just confirmed

I don't know how ratings work anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.