Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

El Scotch posted:

I want Diamond Joe to be real.

are you implying that he isn't :colbert:

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

PupsOfWar posted:

are you implying that he isn't :colbert:
Well he doesn't drink.

The other parts more or less are though.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Had to take my wife to the ER last night for breathing difficulties. As part of the "Have you done x thing" questions they asked were a bunch of new ones to screen for ebola apparently. I found it kind of bizarre based on what, a single case down south?

No one is interested in repeating Texas Presbyterian's (and apparently Spain's) fuckup. Every hospital is going to be on high alert for the rest of the year at least.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Alter Ego posted:

What the hell went on in Phyllis Schlafly's upbringing to make her think of her entire gender as nothing more than meat?

Time traveling Tea Partiers sent to ensure a suitable Republican candidate? :shrug:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Alter Ego posted:

What the hell went on in Phyllis Schlafly's upbringing to make her think of her entire gender as nothing more than meat?

I have a buddy who went to Hillsdale (the Conservatives' one respectable Liberal Arts College). According to her, there were quite a few other female students who would earnestly argue that womens' suffrage was an unnecessary extravagance. Because, you know, surely women can be adequately represented by a vote from their Household. This was not in the 1920s.

It ain't that far-fetched, is what I'm saying.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Yesterday, in Oregon.

Drudge had a photo of this earlier today, with some headline bitching about Biden saying something about the rich paying more taxes. I wonder if Drudge is even capable of seeing outside of his website anymore, dude is something else. His scare tactics over ebola are a sight to behold.

Alexzandvar posted:

Have we ever had a vice president this great?

LBJ

edit

Alter Ego posted:

Subservience is one thing, but she's basically talking BDSM without the whips and chains.

Maybe she's an Ayn Rand fan.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 9, 2014

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

Subservience is one thing, but she's basically talking BDSM without the whips and chains.

It's interesting. There are two similar conservative beliefs that strike me. First, wives must totally submit to their husbands in all ways and surrender control of their lives, bodies, and futures. Second, if it were to become socially acceptable to marry a man, existing heterosexual marriages would be destroyed (because gay sex is so enticing to men that they would abandon their families). I really wonder how much conservative policy is based on sublimated sexuality.

This is probably shaped by having lived in the bay area so long, but it seems important. So many people on first moving to the bay area are freaked out at the idea that they can have kinky sex or same gender sex, that they can finally embrace these aspects of themselves and not have to hide. And then, over the years, they slowly get used to the idea that nobody really cares and that it's not a big deal. Sexuality is not this indulgent decadent dirty thing, it's just another way to show love, and then rather than it being a focus of their life it just becomes a part of their entire life. And I just really wish we could help all those conservatives, trapped in relationships they hate and desperately wishing for something they are not getting. If only they could realize it's not a big deal, and move on, and not externalize all of that self hatred into horrible politics.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Yessod posted:

It's interesting. There are two similar conservative beliefs that strike me. First, wives must totally submit to their husbands in all ways and surrender control of their lives, bodies, and futures. Second, if it were to become socially acceptable to marry a man, existing heterosexual marriages would be destroyed (because gay sex is so enticing to men that they would abandon their families). I really wonder how much conservative policy is based on sublimated sexuality.

This is probably shaped by having lived in the bay area so long, but it seems important. So many people on first moving to the bay area are freaked out at the idea that they can have kinky sex or same gender sex, that they can finally embrace these aspects of themselves and not have to hide. And then, over the years, they slowly get used to the idea that nobody really cares and that it's not a big deal. Sexuality is not this indulgent decadent dirty thing, it's just another way to show love, and then rather than it being a focus of their life it just becomes a part of their entire life. And I just really wish we could help all those conservatives, trapped in relationships they hate and desperately wishing for something they are not getting. If only they could realize it's not a big deal, and move on, and not externalize all of that self hatred into horrible politics.

You've lived in the Bay Area far too long. Most homophobes are just homophobes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

You've lived in the Bay Area far too long. Most homophobes are just homophobes.
Don't get me wrong, some homophobes are closeted homophobes, but it's not a 1:1 thing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bonus quote of the day, “The way to make sure that the environment is always protected is to make it profitable. You gotta make it profitable, and then it goes on and on forever.” ~ Rand Paul

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Alexzandvar posted:

Have we ever had a vice president this great?

I was always a fan of Hubert Humphrey, myself.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the day, “The way to make sure that the environment is always protected is to make it profitable. You gotta make it profitable, and then it goes on and on forever.” ~ Rand Paul
Please don't post these things Joe, I just had some kind of seizure reading it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Is it a bad thing that I understand what Rand Paul meant by that quote after the first glance, with no further context

Have I looked too far into the Libertarian abyss

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alter Ego posted:

Reminder that 50 Shades of Grey, a twilight fanfic(originally) centered around abuse, was insanely popular when it came out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Is it a bad thing that I understand what Rand Paul meant by that quote after the first glance, with no further context

Have I looked too far into the Libertarian abyss

Is it "national park drilling"?

Caros
May 14, 2008

Joementum posted:

We have to get you and your quote's of the day some sort of website. Because you always find the darndest things.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

Counterpoint: white rhinos are extremely profitable.

zoux posted:

Yes. Or just pipelines in general.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

zoux posted:

Preserving the majority of national parks for viewing, but also having the parks generate a profit so there's no motivation to tear them down to put something else in their place. So a combination of national park drilling and charging for admission.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Preserving the majority of national parks for viewing, but also having the parks generate a profit so there's no motivation to tear them down to put something else in their place. So a combination of national park drilling and charging for admission.

If by "a profit" they mean "the maximum possible profit from that land" then yes it would work like that.

What's Randy's position on TARP?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Perhaps incentives to not be a CO2-belching gently caress factory? Followed by negative incentives for being a CO2-belching gently caress factory that shits lead waste?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

Reminder that 50 Shades of Grey, a twilight fanfic(originally) centered around abuse, was insanely popular when it came out.

I believe there was also a "Lets read 50 shades of grey" a year or two ago in TBB.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

JT Jag posted:

National parks make you pay for a permit to camp there, so they already kind of do charge just not enough to make a profit. Unless they're going to start charging people for just driving through.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's ok

if we run out of oil, there's always more dinosaurs

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Internet Webguy posted:

National parks make you pay for a permit to camp there, so they already kind of do charge just not enough to make a profit. Unless they're going to start charging people for just driving through.

You've never driven through Zion national park....

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
Nope. Just Yellowstone.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Internet Webguy posted:

Nope. Just Yellowstone.

process bison, wolves, elk into biofuel

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

it's ok

Oil doesn't come from dinosaurs!!!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This is true education reform!

quote:

Republican senator from Kentucky, on student-teacher-ratios: "I think we should go a million to one! Ten million to one!"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Big scoop for Breitbart, here.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

QuoProQuid posted:

Besides Burr's attempt to split the United States in half to build a personal kingdom, the best Aaron Burr moment is the time he convinced the Federalist controlled Congress to fund a water company whose secret purpose was to fund the AntI-Federalists. Said company later became one of the biggest banks in the US until it merged with Chase National.

Gentleman, we shall found a company that trains ponies to bite off Alexander Hamilton's penis. The Vienna String Orchestra will see him crying, and he shall be greatly humiliated.

South Park's political opinions aside, Aaron Burr is basically a real-world Eric Cartman. He more or less tried to pull off the plot of the Civil War Reenactors episode with his whole little secession scheme.

He's the epitome of "spiteful, vengeful rear end in a top hat".

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

it's ok

This is the plot of Jurassic World.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So, uh, gently caress James Imhoff?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Big scoop for Breitbart, here.

What, uh... what are they even trying to say here? "A thing allegedly happened, by the way here's a guy who used to work with the same people who are in trouble over that thing"

Are they implying Media Bias about not covering a half-baked story or something

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

This is true education reform!

gently caress my state

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

My Imaginary GF posted:

So, uh, gently caress James Imhoff?

Or not, because he's basically given Democrats a great line for the next month. A Republican literally blocking funding for stopping an insidious threat that has killed on American soil and likely will again? Even if he releases the funding by close of business, that's gonna get play in some issue ads.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Internet Webguy posted:

Some parks do this. Stone Mountain just outside of Atlanta makes you pay to drive in. Gotta make money to keep that Confederate shrine in shape.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

JT Jag posted:

Yep. Or as it is commonly know, Republican Rage. I guess I could spend some time thinking up a funny title for it, but Republican Rage seems to cover it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

JT Jag posted:

What, uh... what are they even trying to say here? "A thing allegedly happened, by the way here's a guy who used to work with the same people who are in trouble over that thing"

Wait until they find out who the President was at the time! :monocle:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Eletriarnation posted:

That's hilarious, a guy at work stated that to me today as if it was confirmed truth. He then immediately said something about how it was so easy to sneak into our country, to which I said that I was actually more curious about how ISIS would have managed to get into Mexico.

This has been the republican "oh god don't break into the country and torture my nipples that would be terrible" fantasy for over a decade now - during WW2, there were multitudes of stories of Japanese landing on pacific coastline in the dead of night, ooga booga.

And yeah, the idea that Mexico is just full of dirty hispanics who are going to let any old so and so into their country makes it somehow doubly-racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick is going to stop ISIS from crossing the border.

To be fair to him, that's a campaign promise that he'll have no trouble keeping.

• Locked thread