Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

http://a.pomf.se/nrvbow.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
I take back all that I posted earlier. 49 Gigs for the preload, 59 Gigs for the install. 115 GB total to avoid decryption failing.

The movie directory is now 40 GB in size. :v:

Varance fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 9, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mechathief posted:

Who am I apologizing for? I just didn't get my expectations up. Every FF console port S-E's released on steam so far has had a barebones launcher and VERY little in the way of added features. The battles in FFIV alone still run at like 15 or 20fps or whatever. People should have seen this coming. Also $10 is not $30 which is what MGR went for at release on PC, and was developed by a completely differrent company so I'm not sure how that matters

Some people seem to have something like battered wife syndrome when it comes to SE. This time it will be different!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kyrosiris posted:

From what I've heard that's exactly what they did.

Oh poo poo they did. That's actually really cool.

lamentable dustman posted:

Just unpacked, it is a really bad port. Can't change res like already said. Can't remap the keys at all, this really fucks up my gamepad as non of the buttons match what they should be, hitting escape just insta kills the game. Ughhhh

Seems to run though!

This is why you never pre-order. What was I thinking. :doh:

Varance posted:

I take back all that I posted earlier. 49 Gigs for the preload, 59 Gigs for the install. 115 GB total to avoid decryption failing.

The movie directory is now 40 GB in size. :v:

I wonder if deleting the Japanese videos would cause it to fail to launch.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 9, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Mechathief posted:

Who am I apologizing for? I just didn't get my expectations up. Every FF console port S-E's released on steam so far has had a barebones launcher and VERY little in the way of added features. The battles in FFIV alone still run at like 15 or 20fps or whatever. People should have seen this coming. Also $10 is not $30 which is what MGR went for at release on PC, and was developed by a completely differrent company so I'm not sure how that matters

Resolution options aren't a feature, they're part of basic functionality.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
The PC port was a side effect of the Dive-In cloud service rather than a PC focused initiative. The quality of the port shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Ah, okay. Yeah, that's less glass-eyed cephalopod demon, and more okay Nomura-fair.

How about Catwoman, then?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/09/final-fantasys-tetsuya-nomura-redesigns-catwoman

I think she looks like a Digimon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
This week's Curtain Call DLC:

New Character
Final Fantasy Tactics - Orlandeau

New Songs
Final Fantasy VI - Locke's Theme (BMS)
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon - Leviathan Battle (BMS)
Final Fantasy II - The Imperial Army (FMS)
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Today Comes To Be Tomorrow (FMS)
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - Advent: One-Winged Angel (BMS)
Last Order: Final Fantasy VII - Last Order (BMS)
Final Fantasy IV - Another Moon (FMS)
Final Fantasy IX - Iifa, the Ancient Tree of Life (FMS)
Final Fantasy X-2 - The Bevelle Underground (FMS)

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Mechathief posted:

I took your explanation as a reasonable justification for SE being lazy fucks, sorry if that wasn't the case. And XIII is launching in the UK for £11 next whereas MGR did for £16 so the comparison seemed more valid but gosh at that exchange rate they really can get hosed.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Just unpacked, it is a really bad port. Can't change res like already said. Can't remap the keys at all, this really fucks up my gamepad as non of the buttons match what they should be, hitting escape just insta kills the game. Ughhhh

Seems to run though!

The res is locked, but you can remap (some) keys. It's in settings.

Escape does instantly kill the program, which is pretty hilarious.

Controller settings are setup for a 360 pad.

Varance fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 9, 2014

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think we're ever going to see it but I'd really like if they added Beatrix's boss theme for IX, it's a good as 'you're about to get hosed up in ten different ways' theme as the series has ever done.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

This is great. More FF4 music is always nice and I am not going to complain about a third rendition of One-Winged Angel. Locke's Theme is also pretty decent.

Sunning posted:

The PC port was a side effect of the Dive-In cloud service rather than a PC focused initiative. The quality of the port shouldn't have been too much of a surprise.

How about Catwoman, then?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/09/final-fantasys-tetsuya-nomura-redesigns-catwoman

I think she looks like a Digimon.

This, on the other hand, is terrible. Everything Nomura does that isn't monster design is terrible. Though I guess a Disney-branded game with Mickey Mouse in a gimp suit is a hilarious concept.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
http://a.pomf.se/ypxhpr.webm

turned down the bitrate a tad so this would fit

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Hace posted:

Resolution options aren't a feature, they're part of basic functionality.

And somehow... they aren't in the game. But hey keep on dreamin'.

v it is precisely because :effort: I'm sure Resolution Options are a thing that would require more working loving around in the crystal tools engine and hell if they're gonna roll that ball of wax again!

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 9, 2014

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'll never get why Japanese developers have such a loving problem with PC ports. I get that it's not a big market in Japan, but the way most ports go you'd think they'd never heard of Windows or something. Especially since they've released stuff like XIV that's just fine on PC.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish the japanese audio was released as free DLC or something, that's a ton of space essentially wasted since I couldn't give less of a poo poo about it.

Hoping people find a way to patch the resolution, I don't really care that much about actual graphic settings but it's pretty inexcusable for that to be absent.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to buy every last one of those.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'll never get why Japanese developers have such a loving problem with PC ports. I get that it's not a big market in Japan, but the way most ports go you'd think they'd never heard of Windows or something. Especially since they've released stuff like XIV that's just fine on PC.

Its probably their engine just being a bitch to not blow up the moment they try to render things at a higher resolution. The language as DLC might also blow something up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its probably their engine just being a bitch to not blow up the moment they try to render things at a higher resolution. The language as DLC might also blow something up.

That might explain this specific case, but it still baffles me in general. Like, clearly the features that DS1 was missing weren't that hard to implement, and yet From poo poo the bed.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Spiritus Nox posted:

In this specific case, different teams. The XIV team has spent a good long while now learning exactly what makes for good PC settings options, but that information may not be getting shared throughout the entire company.

Or, as Cao Ni Ma said, Crystal Tools being a pile of butt. Or would you like stories of what XIV 1.0 was like :v:

(Granted, even XIV 1.0 had resolution options)

But yeah I would imagine that XIII is such a pile of messy legacy code and some of their engineers may have moved on, so it may be difficult for them to even implement the options we expect without having the game fly apart.

More generally, many Japanese devs just have no experience with the PC. None. Like I know that's absolutely mind-blowing for any American or European but it's true. A huge, huge number of them have gamed on consoles their entire lives without touching a PC for anything other than work. They legitimately have no experience with what "good options" are for a PC version of a game. (And even those devs with PC experience may not have a lot of modern PC experience - the PC-#8 back in the day was a much different beast.) It's starting to change, but it will be a while yet before the majority of developers catch up on these sorts of quality-of-use things we take for granted.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 9, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Mechathief posted:

And somehow... they aren't in the game. But hey keep on dreamin'.

v it is precisely because :effort: I'm sure Resolution Options are a thing that would require more working loving around in the crystal tools engine and hell if they're gonna roll that ball of wax again!

The original FFXIV had resolution options, why would that be a limitation of crystal tools?

They probably just didn't want to bother with upscaling the HUD, or were afraid that it would make the 720p pre-rendered stuff look worse.

e: You don't have to defend SE dude, people are allowed to comment on how this is a bad port. Even for $15.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Well, when you make sweeping changes like altering your entire rendering resolution, you kinda want to make sure it doesn't gently caress something up along the way. Now extend that to the entirety of a game, all of the graphical effects in the game, all the ui options and special little things in your game. Well poo poo you're gonna want someone to test all that right? To give feedback and make sure it works correctly with no issues? And if it doesn't work well then crap we might have to drag the engine designers back in to try and find the issue and fix it and THEN test THAT fix to make sure it works. Repeat for every little issue in the game.

Basically they've already tested and have a relatively bug-free version of the game ready to go, and its this one. Any more than that and they'd have to employ more people specifically for the purpose of what they probably feel is not worth it, especially considering that price point. You can find FFXIII in any bargin bin for $10, I'm pretty sure they thought it wouldn't be reasonable to put all that effort into a title and then release it for $50 only for people to a.) Not buy it because they already played it/have it on another console or b.) Wait for a steam sale.

Hace posted:

The original FFXIV had resolution options, why would that be a limitation of crystal tools?

e: You don't have to defend SE dude, people are allowed to comment on how this is a bad port. Even for $15.

I'm not defending it :v: I swear. I know its bad, I just think its really, really funny that people still expected so much out of this port. Also yeah I forgot about FFXIV 1.0. I try hard to, every day.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 9, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I know a lot of people don't like FFXIII but man it looks so good

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Seems to run though!

What was the last FF game SE ported to PC and didn't have it run like total rear end?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Mechathief posted:

Well, when you make sweeping changes like altering your entire rendering resolution, you kinda want to make sure it doesn't gently caress something up along the way. Now extend that to the entirety of a game, all of the graphical effects in the game, all the ui options and special little things in your game. Well poo poo you're gonna want someone to test all that right? To give feedback and make sure it works correctly with no issues? And if it doesn't work well then crap we might have to drag the engine designers back in to try and find the issue and fix it and THEN test THAT fix to make sure it works. Repeat for every little issue in the game.

Basically they've already tested and have a relatively bug-free version of the game ready to go, and its this one. Any more than that and they'd have to employ more people specifically for the purpose of what they probably feel is not worth it, especially considering that price point. You can find FFXIII in any bargin bin for $10, I'm pretty sure they thought it wouldn't be reasonable to put all that effort into a title and then release it for $50 only for people to a.) Not buy it because they already played it/have it on another console or b.) Wait for a steam sale.

This is a pretty solid point. A lot of people think that the process is just adding in some settings that change a few numbers in a file somewhere and poof! Higher resolution with little to no problems as long as you have the PC hardware that can handle it. That is not the reality.

Had this game been designed with PC in mind from the beginning then I could understand the complaints a lot more. I could also understand the complaints if the game cost us $30 instead of $15 or whatever it is, but it doesn't. However, I do hope that SE keeps the PC in mind more often for future AAA titles especially if they are now doing things like designing games using the UE4 engine.

No excuses for the lack of better key mapping and a good UI to go with it though. That should have been included.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
I promised a friend I'd give XIII another shot even though I HATED playing through it years ago, I eventually gave up about halfway through. I rebought it because I don't play on my 360 anymore and because I'm loving the fact that Square Enix is porting these games to the PC. Now if only they'd do the same for FF IX and X! :argh:

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

However, I do hope that SE keeps the PC in mind more often for future AAA titles especially if they are now doing things like designing games using the UE4 engine.

No excuses for the lack of better key mapping and a good UI to go with it though. That should have been included.

Yeah, I saw a screenshot before release of the keyboard config screen complete with the hand selection arrow and I was expecting at least remapping from what I saw. Also yes that's pretty much the reason I've been buying their FF re-releases; sorry to be the guy that's killing video games or whatever but I've played these games before and the lack of extra features doesn't bother me and I know what to expect. I'm just supporting them in the hope they decide they want to start bringing their future games (HELLO FFXV) to PC, and yes that they would include all the niceties that PCs allow.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mechathief posted:

I'm just supporting them in the hope they decide they want to start bringing their future games (HELLO FFXV) to PC, and yes that they would include all the niceties that PCs allow.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha.

I understand why you are laughing, but he isn't wrong. Putting SE being SE aside for a moment, the only reason any company would consider making more games compatible with PC is if they are convinced that there is money to be made. No better way to do that then to show them first hand that putting games out on PC will in fact make them money.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You're showing them that putting out half baked no-effort ports is making them money all right.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm happy that all the steam cards seem to just be different pictures of Lighting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

I understand why you are laughing, but he isn't wrong. Putting SE being SE aside for a moment, the only reason any company would consider making more games compatible with PC is if they are convinced that there is money to be made. No better way to do that then to show them first hand that putting games out on PC will in fact make them money.

Somehow I don't think that a low-effort PC port is a risky venture for a company like SE.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zaphod42 posted:

Couldn't they do dual-audio? Is there any difference in the video? Its not like they re-rendered with different lip synch, right? I guess maybe there's some text or subtitles, but they could do those in software too... :shrug:

Actually they are re-rendered with different lip synch IIRC. That's why they're downloaded twice.

Fister Roboto posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Yeah it's not SE has been recently re-releasing and porting games to Steam or anything! Oh wait...

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Fister Roboto posted:

Somehow I don't think that a low-effort PC port is a risky venture for a company like SE.

no you don't understand it's really hard upscale in DX9 it could break the whole game :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm happy that all the steam cards seem to just be different pictures of Lighting.

A friend gave me all his cards and now I've got a Vanille emote.

I'm not sure what to do with it.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

You're showing them that putting out half baked no-effort ports is making them money all right.

I'm AWARE of that, geez. I'm sure they see it from that viewpoint too! If no one buys these games though I'm really doubt they're gonna want to bring the whole series over.

And if you want to laugh even harder, I secretly want FFX HD Remaster and a FFXII Remaster to happen too!

Fister Roboto posted:

I guess the idea is that they'd see there's a demand on PC for these FF games (especially considering FFXIV's popularity) and decide maybe they should have a PC version out at the same time as the console versions and maybe even start developing the game with PC features in mind! Or yeah they could just put out another barebones port!

I dunno about what SE is going to do, all I do know is there are a LOT of people out there on the internet and some of those people know how to fix up these poo poo ports so it's win/win for me!

Hace posted:

no you don't understand it's really hard upscale in DX9 it could break the whole game :(

Nah, probably not the WHOLE game. I know this was just you shitposting but its true. Durante's Dark Souls fix broke the visuals in certain parts of the game and he had to go back multiple times to update his fix to get around the issues. But hey, keep shitposting!

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 9, 2014

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A friend gave me all his cards and now I've got a Vanille emote.

I'm not sure what to do with it.

You're going to give it to me

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Otherwise you are telling them not to bother with PC ports at all.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Evil Fluffy posted:

What was the last FF game SE ported to PC and didn't have it run like total rear end?

I never bought a FF on PC before :saddowns:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I never thought I'd have to point out the idiocy of "I'm going to give a company money for an inferior product in hopes that they make something better in the future" and yet here I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Vichan posted:

I promised a friend I'd give XIII another shot even though I HATED playing through it years ago, I eventually gave up about halfway through. I rebought it because I don't play on my 360 anymore and because I'm loving the fact that Square Enix is porting these games to the PC. Now if only they'd do the same for FF IX and X! :argh:

Actually, with the recent remake on PS3, how likely is it we'll get X/X-2 on PC?