Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

td4guy posted:

Computers hardly even have optical drives anymore, so I wouldn't expect better solutions to pop up in the future.

Really the only reason to buy discs now is if iTunes/Netflix/Amazon doesn't have what you want.

Speaking of playback software that sucks balls, gently caress the flixter bullshit they're using for "+Digital" on discs now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

SwissCM posted:

If you have VLC installed, you're already using software of questionable legality. It bypasses DVD (CSS) encryption.

You don't want Jriver to license support for BluRay. They would be forced to cripple their own software, just like what happened with TMT.

I only use it for random internet videos, I prefer Totalmedia or even windows media center for DVDs. Why would licensing bluray playback force Jriver to cripple their software?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

wdarkk posted:

Really the only reason to buy discs now is if iTunes/Netflix/Amazon doesn't have what you want.

I would strongly disagree with that on any good display of reasonable size (maybe not on the typical computer screen). Not only the compression artifacts, but also the general looks and (for lack of a better word) "flow". The differences are obvious in many places and not as esoteric as in higher bit rates in music. (Example: http://hdguru.com/blu-ray-vs-hdtv-streaming-services-a-quality-comparison-review/)

e: Forgot to add that this is probably going to be even more obvious once 4K content appears (if ever), due to the limits of the amounts of data people can be reasonably expected to stream over the existing infrastructure.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 6, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

flavor posted:

I would strongly disagree with that on any good display of reasonable size (maybe not on the typical computer screen). Not only the compression artifacts, but also the general looks and (for lack of a better word) "flow". The differences are obvious in many places and not as esoteric as in higher bit rates in music. (Example: http://hdguru.com/blu-ray-vs-hdtv-streaming-services-a-quality-comparison-review/)

e: Forgot to add that this is probably going to be even more obvious once 4K content appears (if ever), due to the limits of the amounts of data people can be reasonably expected to stream over the existing infrastructure.

Add to this that itunes is the only one of those three available in Australia (and with a poorer selection than it has in the US); and there's no way in hell I'd tolerate that bloated apple shitware being installed on my PC. Plus DVDs have all the bonus features and commentary tracks that I like to watch, and I have a strong collector mentality so I like to see rows of DVDs on my shelves. I also only ever purchase my music in CD form.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tacier posted:

So I had a conversation with the IT guy at my office who buys only AMD processors and he seemed receptive to the idea that Intel might be better for our totally single threaded workloads, but still maintained that going AMD saves us money on RAM because Intel processors require you to use 3 sticks instead of two. I can't find anything to back up that claim, however.

Not only is this horseshit, but this is actually exactly the sort of thing you can use to turn management against him: how much do your GIS guys get paid per hour, and how many man-hours would legit faster computers save per year? If you have a bake-off and it shows the Intel system substantially outperforming the AMD system, you could immediately show your boss that this guy is costing the company thousands of dollars a year in lost productivity because he was (erroneously) worried about, what, forty bucks of RAM per computer?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Sometimes suggesting the smart thing for your company to do is not a smart thing for your career.

I mean, the guy is objectively wrong in every single way but what (if anything) you should do about it is probably beyond the expertise of this thread due to all the unknowns.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

canyoneer posted:

Sometimes suggesting the smart thing for your company to do is not a smart thing for your career.

I mean, the guy is objectively wrong in every single way but what (if anything) you should do about it is probably beyond the expertise of this thread due to all the unknowns.
Couldn't agree more. A lot of the people saying omg get him fired now sound like they've never had a real job in their life. It's often not that easy or that simple.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Col.Kiwi posted:

Couldn't agree more. A lot of the people saying omg get him fired now sound like they've never had a real job in their life. It's often not that easy or that simple.

Since we are still talking about this, why not just ask for an intel pc for your workstation. And when your productivity goes up and your boss asks why say its thanks to your inside intel.

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 7, 2014

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yeah I was kind of surprised how many people talked about getting him fired. He is considered by the bosses to be essential to the operation of my workplace, whereas I am pretty much expendable.

Anyway, I think he'll be amenable to a test machine with an Intel processor, so once that happens and it destroys whatever Vishera nonsense he just ordered the problem should sort itself out.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Tacier posted:

Yeah I was kind of surprised how many people talked about getting him fired. He is considered by the bosses to be essential to the operation of my workplace, whereas I am pretty much expendable.

Anyway, I think he'll be amenable to a test machine with an Intel processor, so once that happens and it destroys whatever Vishera nonsense he just ordered the problem should sort itself out.

This is generally the case with clueless leadership. The guy seems to know what he is doing, and things work pretty well. When someone who knows what they are really doing comes in, either as a new hire or consultant, poo poo gets real.

I did some consulting for a small but growing 3D rendering company a few years ago and blew their minds because they are artists with some technical background and I am a hardware geared infra guy. I built them dual socket workstations for about 60% of the cost of the boutique vendor they were using, and my systems were more stable and had way less issues. I also did some tweaks to workflow that greatly benefited their output without having to buy software for $3k to do the same thing.

Short of getting someone like me in to do a bake off demo about how many thousands of dollars they are pissing away while their artist/engineers wait, no one will be the wiser, despite how much rage we have in this thread.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

I only use it for random internet videos, I prefer Totalmedia or even windows media center for DVDs. Why would licensing bluray playback force Jriver to cripple their software?

Because that's allegedly what happened with TMT. BluRay licensing requires the licensee to put in a bunch of security crap into their software.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

SwissCM posted:

Because that's allegedly what happened with TMT. BluRay licensing requires the licensee to put in a bunch of security crap into their software.

Pretty much this. The license agreement contains so much mealy mouthed horseshit that depending on whose interpretation you use, would require you to basically make the software nonfunctional due to how much added crap they require. And the interpretation you use is the one that has the entire Blu-Ray consortium behind it. because contract breach lawsuits are so cheap and easy to deal with in court. It's like finding a particularly shiny vice, cranking it around your nuts, then giving it to a schizophrenic homeless man who wants to pawn it for a few bucks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SwissCM posted:

So just add in the security stuff? How is that crippling the software?

Totalmedia, winDVD, and powerDVD worked just fine despite having it. The only thing being crippled is people's ability to do illegal things with their blurays, which is something I'm perfectly happy with.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 8, 2014

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

So just add in the security stuff? How is that crippling the software?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinavia

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Again, this is just DRM. You're only going to have an issue with it if you're trying to do something illegal, and I support 100% measures that prevent that.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Again, this is just DRM. You're only going to have an issue with it if you're trying to do something illegal, and I support 100% measures that prevent that.

It's not illegal in the UK anymore. I also quite like having my BluRay rips easily accessible on a HDD, as do many others considering the popularity of XBMC etc.

Also you're a loving idiot for supporting DRM. You realise it's the very reason why you can't play BluRays in JRiver, right?

Also, paying customers of TMT now have a useless piece of software due to, you guessed it, DRM. Since the software can't be updated, new titles won't work (and trying to use the titles may end up actually outright breaking TMT by revoking the decryption keys).

It's rare I see someone who supports DRM in the wild. I don't understand how someone can hate themselves so much that they'll willingly inflict themselves with it.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 8, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SwissCM posted:

It's not illegal in the UK anymore. I also quite like having my BluRay rips easily accessible on a HDD, as do many others considering the popularity of XBMC etc.

Also you're a loving idiot for supporting DRM. You realise it's the very reason why you can't play BluRays in JRiver, right?

No, I can't play blurays in Jriver because they haven't licenced the security stuff. I would happily pay more for a 'bluray edition'

At the end of the day, the people who own the films have a right to decide how their property gets used, and they have a right to protect that right via DRM. I may not like the choices they make, but that doesn't give me the right to circumvent them. People who believe other wise are like little children throwing a temper tantrum in the supermarket because daddy won't let them have a treat.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Generally the right to circumvent that sort of invasive copy protection for the purpose of personal backup is guaranteed by consumer protections, when it's guaranteed anyway, or at least that's my understanding.

I thought you were an Australian; am I wrong about the strong consumer protections there, or about your nationality, or just about whether that means anything in this discussion? :shobon:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Agreed posted:

Generally the right to circumvent that sort of invasive copy protection for the purpose of personal backup is guaranteed by consumer protections, when it's guaranteed anyway, or at least that's my understanding.

I thought you were an Australian; am I wrong about the strong consumer protections there, or about your nationality, or just about whether that means anything in this discussion? :shobon:

The right to make a copy is a core part of copyright law's Fair Use doctrine, but there is no fair use exception to the DMCA or Australia's equivalent law (both of which were implementation laws for international copyright treaties). Circumventing copy protection is a legal DO NOT DO, and you have no legal right to do it except for a tiny subset of Fair Use cases. That this directly contradicts Fair Use generally has not been litigated.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

No, I can't play blurays in Jriver because they haven't licenced the security stuff. I would happily pay more for a 'bluray edition'

At the end of the day, the people who own the films have a right to decide how their property gets used, and they have a right to protect that right via DRM. I may not like the choices they make, but that doesn't give me the right to circumvent them. People who believe other wise are like little children throwing a temper tantrum in the supermarket because daddy won't let them have a treat.

You may have circumvented them even without knowing it in the past, such as using VLC for DVD playback.

I believe in consumer rights. You're the one complaining about not being able to play blurays in your favourite player because of DRM. I don't have that problem, because DRM is a joke that only punishes people like you who think they aren't entitled to not being treated like a criminal.

And it's not only licensing the security code, it's also coding it, maintaining it and supporting it. It's expensive and judging by the recent exit of TMT, likely not worth the money or time investment. It would also alienate users who pirate movies and as much as you don't care about that, it affects their bottom line.

All that for what? What is the DRM accomplishing for you or them?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Well, for one thing, it's stopping me from giving up and ripping my Blu-Ray collection so I can be done with this junk...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Well, for one thing, it's stopping me from giving up and ripping my Blu-Ray collection so I can be done with this junk...

Get AnyDVD HD and your choice of encoder/ripper and you're good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Agreed posted:

I am Australian, and we do have strong consumer protection here, but it isn't relevant to the discussion. I think it's legal to make a copy of something for personal backup purposes, but I don't think it's legal to bypass DRM. I'm not sure though. Perhaps if I'd finished law school instead of dropping out to spend more time with WoW. Technically region encoding on dvds is a violation of our consumer rights, and I'm pretty sure all dvd players that get sold here are supposed to be capable of playing all regions but I'm pretty sure that gets widely ignored.

I have 3 different dvd drives for my PC so I can play discs from different regions.

I wasn't really arguing the point from a strictly Australian perspective though, and I take a pretty hardline lawful neutral position to life in general.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SwissCM posted:

You may have circumvented them even without knowing it in the past, such as using VLC for DVD playback.

I believe in consumer rights. You're the one complaining about not being able to play blurays in your favourite player because of DRM. I don't have that problem, because DRM is a joke that only punishes people like you who think they aren't entitled to not being treated like a criminal.

And it's not only licensing the security code, it's also coding it, maintaining it and supporting it. It's expensive and judging by the recent exit of TMT, likely not worth the money or time investment. It would also alienate users who pirate movies and as much as you don't care about that, it affects their bottom line.

All that for what? What is the DRM accomplishing for you or them?

I've never used VLC for dvds because it kinda sucks compared to the paid software. I believe in consumer rights too, but Consumer rights operate within the law, not above it. It's my fundamental position that people have an absolute obligation to obey the law. We don't get to pick and choose which laws we follow. At best, we can use the democratic processes available to us to try and change the law.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

SwissCM posted:

Get AnyDVD HD and your choice of encoder/ripper and you're good.

I am a law student. I have to take the bar in a year or two. I would call it "a very stupid idea" to knowingly violate Federal law.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Factory Factory posted:

I am a law student. I have to take the bar in a year or two. I would call it "a very stupid idea" to knowingly violate Federal law.

:allears:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wonder how many goons know about the torrent forums SA used to have...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

Learn from my experience: Never become addicted to an MMO.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Factory Factory posted:

I feel sorry for you kid, it's going to be a rough awakening when you hit the real world. :allears:

In actual Intel discussion, I bought a Pentium Anniversary chip to hold me over till Broadwell launches. I'm really glad it's such a cool running piece of silicon, because the case is literally a cardboard box for the foreseeable future as well.

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 8, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Factory Factory posted:

Isn't using VLC in violation of federal law because of the inclusion of CSS decrypters? Or for that matter, subscribing to the "Aereo" online video service?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

This isn't really the place for DMCA debate.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: BluRay Conglomerate and DRM Apologist Discussion

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

SwissCM posted:

I wonder how many goons know about the torrent forums SA used to have...
Intel CPU and Platform Discussion: I would, actually, download a car

Rime posted:

I feel sorry for you kid, it's going to be a rough awakening when you hit the real world. :allears:

In actual Intel discussion, I bought a Pentium Anniversary chip to hold me over till Broadwell launches. I'm really glad it's such a cool running piece of silicon, because the case is literally a cardboard box for the foreseeable future as well.
I bought one of these recently for a family member and it flies compared to the Q8400 it replaced. Really cannot complain about the desktop performance for the price.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rime posted:

I'm really glad it's such a cool running piece of silicon, because the case is literally a cardboard box for the foreseeable future as well.

I'd like to see a photo of literal cardboard box PC.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

The Lord Bude posted:

If I actually do it instead of just caving in to lovely design and buying an SG08 Lite, I'll post pics.

Couldn't be done with the 920 it's replacing without burning down the house, that's for sure.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/the_500_pc_build_off

Fake edit: No, I didn't just search for "cardboard box PC." I actually knew that this was a thing.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Would the performance jump from hawell to broadwell be more significant or less significant than the jump from broadwell to skylake?

I guess what I'm asking is, are shrinks better performance boosts than architectures designed with that specific size in mind?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Less, much less. Look at intel's tick-tock strategy.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Lynnfield to Sandy Bridge was about 15% isoclock with significant clock bumps. Sandy to Ivy was about 5% isoclock with minor clock bumps at high-end, higher sustainable turbo clocks at low-end. Ivy to Haswell was about 10% isoclock with minor clock bumps at high end, higher sustainable turbo clocks at low-end.

Haswell's power-constrained improvements over Ivy were better than Ivy's improvements over Sandy.

Clock bumps refer to stock frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Hmmm so I wouldn't be a fool to just get a Hawell-E now instead of waiting? Do we have any idea when skylake is out?