Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

only 20 for all versions of iis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:

:allears:

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
omfg

Fix a 37 year old bug introduced by Bill Joy on August 24, 1977
that was already present in the 1BSD release on March 9, 1978
by merging Keith Bostic's 22 year old fix from 4.4BSD (not kidding).

Original CSRG SCCS commit message:

^As 00009/00006/00145
^Ad D 5.7 92/03/04 14:35:42 bostic 9 8
^Ac can't use freopen; example is "date | head file1 /dev/stdin"

http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/usr.bin/head/head.c?rev=1.18&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
that explains why my phone autocorrects bsd to bad

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
i too use telnet

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In 2014, an individual in Poland legally renamed his business to Dariusz Jakubowski x'; DROP TABLE users; SELECT '1 in an attempt to disrupt operation of spammers’ harvesting bots.

that is pretty yospos

my site is coming along well. lets you sign in with github account, then pulls all your repo and commit stats, assigns your repo to an "enviroment" based on the github given language. each enviroment has its own blacklist and list of preferred sites. any repos you own also have webhooks created, so when they are pushed to it automatically updates on the site. the idea is to use the site for your dev searches, with each search query being tied to a specific commit. and then also track which links you click on from the search results. so you can say "ok when i was working on this repo, wtf was i searching for that led me to write this code". on a scale of useless to useful...i think its slightly above useless so far

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 9, 2014

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Valeyard posted:

...i think its slightly above useless so far

much unlike your posting

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Valeyard posted:

In 2014, an individual in Poland legally renamed his business to Dariusz Jakubowski x'; DROP TABLE users; SELECT '1 in an attempt to disrupt operation of spammers’ harvesting bots.

... I have the chance to rename my company soon while I amend some other stuff. What is the most annoying thing I could rename it to?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

... I have the chance to rename my company soon while I amend some other stuff. What is the most annoying thing I could rename it to?

what are the rules?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
dev-ops is loving bullshit and amazon's ops tools can suck a loving dick

i hate this dumb poo poo i hate it i hate it i hate it

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AlsoD posted:

what are the rules?

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cd-dgc.nsf/eng/cs01191.html

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

there appear to be no restrictions on length so a random string as long as you want, followed by " Inc."

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

AlsoD posted:

there appear to be no restrictions on length so a random string as long as you want, followed by " Inc."

That is my understanding too!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blinkz0rz posted:

dev-ops is loving bullshit and amazon's ops tools can suck a loving dick

i hate this dumb poo poo i hate it i hate it i hate it

devops should be replaced w/ maven

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Shaggar posted:

devops should be replaced w/ maven

if i was using java i would 100% use maven forever

also this is server templating which is great in theory but getting that poo poo to work makes me want to blow things up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
what i mean is that devops is about building consistent output which is what maven does, but instead of being script based and therefore prone to fuckups, maven is definition based.

if you were to replace all the garbage devops scripting bullshit with definition based builds, then you would reduce complexity and eliminate a lot of errors. Since maven allows infinite expandability via its plugin system theres no reason you couldn't have, say, a plugin for controlling your httpd configuration. or a plugin for managing network configuration. or a plugin for building a vm from a template in VMware.

once you have the plugin library you can get rid of all ur dumb old scripts and just define your servers and let maven build them. it would be as amazing as going from ant to maven was.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shaggar posted:

what i mean is that devops is about building consistent output which is what maven does, but instead of being script based and therefore prone to fuckups, maven is definition based.

if you were to replace all the garbage devops scripting bullshit with definition based builds, then you would reduce complexity and eliminate a lot of errors. Since maven allows infinite expandability via its plugin system theres no reason you couldn't have, say, a plugin for controlling your httpd configuration. or a plugin for managing network configuration. or a plugin for building a vm from a template in VMware.

once you have the plugin library you can get rid of all ur dumb old scripts and just define your servers and let maven build them. it would be as amazing as going from ant to maven was.

does maven do anything for deployment?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
for java yes. there are plugins for every major application server.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
someone post a good angular tutorial and not the one from the official site i dont like that one

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

someone post a good angular tutorial and not the one from the official site i dont like that one

an angle under 90 degrees is acute. an angle over 90 degrees is obtuse. a 90 degree angle is a right angle. the sum of the interior angles of a triangle adds up to 180.

fig. 1 - Kurt Angle

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shaggar posted:

how would that be any different from Chef or Puppet except for not being written in ruby?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
chef and puppet or w/e are script based build systems. you write scripts to make the build happen. your build is more code which means you need to test your build code.

maven is a definition based build system. your define what you want the build to be and plugins put it together. you don't write any code for the build. this means your build is independent of the code that makes the build which allows for far fewer mistakes and more reliable builds.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shaggar posted:

chef and puppet or w/e are script based build systems. you write scripts to make the build happen. your build is more code which means you need to test your build code.

maven is a definition based build system. your define what you want the build to be and plugins put it together. you don't write any code for the build. this means your build is independent of the code that makes the build which allows for far fewer mistakes and more reliable builds.

have you ever used chef or puppet or w/e?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no but I've used similar systems

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
i've only used Chef professionally, but it's a lot closer to a markup dsl than actual scripting. of course it's just Ruby so scripting is possible, but i reckon a similar level of horrible would be possible in Maven's plugin system, would it not?

i guess what i'm getting at is server janitoring sucks regardless of the tools.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
There's still scripting under the hood of Maven, something has to issue the commands. You're still aiming to be declarative in Chef, Puppet, Ansible, but at some point there has to be logic, someone has to write that logic and test it.

Ideally you get to the point where you're just using the declarative bits from day to day, but that's a poo poo tonne of plugins to be written before we get there as a default for new organizations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
plugins in maven aren't dynamic things. you build a plugin independent of any build in order to fulfill a task. like the compiler plugin or the war build plugin or the jar build plugin or the javadoc plugin. etc... almost every plugin you need is already built anyways so you don't ever create your own.

but if you did have a need, then you could write your own plugin and then fully test its functionality independent of any specific project. that way its reusable and more manageable.

what it comes down to is build systems are programs in their own right so having to write your own build on top of the program you're building adds unnecessary headache. you could do the same thing for system builds and the result would be more reliable and reusable builds.

the downside is if you need to do something and there is no plugin you have to write that plugin, whereas in a scripting based build system you would just hack up a script to do it. but it turns out this is never actually a real problem and people who think it is tend to resolve the same problems over and over in their builds.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

There's still scripting under the hood of Maven, something has to issue the commands. You're still aiming to be declarative in Chef, Puppet, Ansible, but at some point there has to be logic, someone has to write that logic and test it.

Ideally you get to the point where you're just using the declarative bits from day to day, but that's a poo poo tonne of plugins to be written before we get there as a default for new organizations.

plugins aren't organizational unless they're poorly thought out. plugins in a maven-like system build system would be like "http-config" or "VMware-template-deploy". there would definitely need to be a ton of plugins written just like it had to happen for maven in java, but now there are plugins for everything and the world is a better place.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and like the big orgs contribute stuff for their own products and you'd try to do that w/ this system build system. like VMware would build and publish VMware plugins and apache would build and publish apache product plugins, etc.... also folks like amazon would probably contribute their own management plugins

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

also i have had to write a plugin for a thing and it was piss easy to do right. code documentation was not really there, but all the tools were

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah maven is really well thought out. also making archetypes (project templates) is braindead easy and can even be done from existing projects. it owns a lot.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shaggar posted:

and like the big orgs contribute stuff for their own products and you'd try to do that w/ this system build system. like VMware would build and publish VMware plugins and apache would build and publish apache product plugins, etc.... also folks like amazon would probably contribute their own management plugins

you mean like this?
https://github.com/opscode-cookbooks

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
ok I'm seeing this guy writing an xml parser in c

"it's for a freelance job where the pcs are really old"

I have no words

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

yeah like that but in a central repo.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
man, you had "yeah but not in a plang" and you went for SVN instead.

you're slipping dude.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well not in a plang makes it superior but its in a real repo system as in nexus which is designed for maven as opposed to "well, this unfinished thing is in our github. you can google it"

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Shaggar posted:

well not in a plang makes it superior but its in a real repo system as in nexus which is designed for maven as opposed to "well, this unfinished thing is in our github. you can google it"

Dare I say a package system

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c terrible homespun bespoke distributed system s: server mysteriously crashed so i rewrote the back half to actually run against a db rather than an in-memory store of work units. sql server was being a butt on my work computer so its against sqlite which meant i had to learn & use actual sql statements which was a useful learning experience

wish i could delete * from posts where poster="bloody"!!!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh also it was nice to discover that the clients gracefully handle the server dropping off the network for 2+ days by just sittin there and waiting til it comes back :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Maluco Marinero posted:

Dare I say a package system

no because it works

• Locked thread