Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

What are the rules to the Shitstorm, is it only games they did on past shitstorms getting a second chance or is it anything? If it's anything getting a short look I hope the Alien Isolation game gets in, because it's shockingly pretty good and Matt's a huge Alien fan.

We took a vote on two styles of Shitstorm for this year. 31 games, but probably more than 50% of them would be indie First person games, because honestly, we are running out of console games...we all kinda felt we'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

New style, take 4 games that lots of people requested we continue, and just try our best to get as far as we can within seven episodes. This option won by a landslide, and I also asked live audiences in the last two cons we went to, and the crowd went nuts for the latter.

Eventually, we thought it would be better if we shaved that down to 3 games, and saved the final week for one offs.

Alien will probably not be in the shitstorm, but we will do a video for it (if that makes any sense)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Speaking of cons, did you guys have your panel of the last con you went to recorded?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheRealestMatt posted:

We took a vote on two styles of Shitstorm for this year. 31 games, but probably more than 50% of them would be indie First person games, because honestly, we are running out of console games...we all kinda felt we'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel.

New style, take 4 games that lots of people requested we continue, and just try our best to get as far as we can within seven episodes. This option won by a landslide, and I also asked live audiences in the last two cons we went to, and the crowd went nuts for the latter.

Eventually, we thought it would be better if we shaved that down to 3 games, and saved the final week for one offs.

Alien will probably not be in the shitstorm, but we will do a video for it (if that makes any sense)

Gotcha, and yea I assume that means it'll be a Machinma vid, which makes sense with it being a major release and all. Can't really complain about you taking it to the fans for your cool gimmick poo poo.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
New fan, and just watched the soul suspect and beyond two souls lps and enjoyed the reactions/nutso plots in both and want more. Any recommendations on what I should watch next? I've played/seen David Cage's other stuff. I tried yakusa 4 hearing it's nuts but I realized i was completely lost by not knowing 3 games worth of plot. Or just recs in general

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

I tried yakusa 4 hearing it's nuts but I realized i was completely lost by not knowing 3 games worth of plot.
Part 0 looks at a series recap included in Yakuza 4 and it covers pretty much everything you need to know.

I personally recommend Prison Break, Resident Evil 4 and Rustlemania.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

The Kins posted:

Part 0 looks at a series recap included in Yakuza 4 and it covers pretty much everything you need to know.

I personally recommend Prison Break, Resident Evil 4 and Rustlemania.

Yeah that part 0 is what scared me away. Should I try to stick with it?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I cant believe theres a game named Escape From Bug Island

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Go ahead, I mostly skipped the part 0. Anything important to the plot will be discussed by Matt, Pat and the characters.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Yeah part 0 was complete information overload, I came out of it knowing basically nothing and still got through the rest fine. It's a pretty good series.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
All you really need to know about Yakuza is that beating the poo poo out of people with bicycles is a series mainstay.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

ImPureAwesome posted:

Not a fan of the Yakuza LP, to be honest.

Just watch our Deadly Premonition LP.

Best we've done.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
There's Kaysen, look at him yuckin it up!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Yakuza can be boring at times but then there's also times where a man figures out a martial arts move by seeing some bullshit happen, pulling out a log, and then performing a high speed statue whittling on said log.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

I mean, I think the game is fun, but I don't think it's a super watchable LP, very long, the story is ridiculously complicated, and there's so much just walking around from point a to point b.

Would have made an excellent Machinima episode.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

TheRealestMatt posted:

Not a fan of the Yakuza LP, to be honest.

Just watch our Deadly Premonition LP.

Best we've done.

I've already watched the giant bomb run off it, unfortunately, but if it's that good I'll give it a look. I'm thinking the re4 rec first though since I never finished it

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

ImPureAwesome posted:

I've already watched the giant bomb run off it, unfortunately, but if it's that good I'll give it a look. I'm thinking the re4 rec first though since I never finished it

The SBF playthrough of deadly premonition is really entertaining and has 100% more yucking around

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I have watched 4 complete runs of Deadly Premonition, it is the game that never dies.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ImPureAwesome posted:

As a big fan of the GB run I'd say the SBF run is way better, Giant Bomb Dot Com can't properly capture how much yuckin it up goes on in not-twin-peaks.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I always recommend the Homecoming and Downpour playthroughs to new fans too, just because so many of the running jokes were born within those two playthroughs.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If I had to pick one, it would be Double Dragon Neon because how happy Matt and Woolie are through out the whole game.

Double Dragon Neon is good.

BUY IT.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Shindragon posted:

If I had to pick one, it would be Double Dragon Neon because how happy Matt and Woolie are through out the whole game.

Double Dragon Neon is good.

BUY IT.

THIS

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah that was the one I was going to suggest. DDN both oozes charm and sounds great, Matt clearly loves it (as shown directly above :v: ), and Woolie gets on board immediately. My biggest problem with the playthrough is that it's short, but what's there is fantastic and is what sold me on SBF.

I keep saying the OP needs a best-of list similar to the GB thread.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I keep saying the OP needs a best-of list similar to the GB thread.

There is one, it's called Fighterpedia. :colbert:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Realtalk I wouldn't mind Fighterpedia making a comeback.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
What's Fighterpedia?

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Woolie's black?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Silentman0 posted:

Woolie's black?

Liam's a boy?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Liam's theme song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us6bTJ5r9eQ

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

What's Fighterpedia?

One of the worst things the SBF have made

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Well they beat the Vanilla game which is cool. Dying to Nassandra 3 times and needing a Sun guy to beat her is hopefully just him being really tired because otherwise the DLC run will be just as long as the actual game.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Was that the only time he summoned an actual player to help with a boss fight? And for Nashandra of all bosses?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Wiseblood posted:

Was that the only time he summoned an actual player to help with a boss fight? And for Nashandra of all bosses?

He's summoned real people before, the earliest I think was the Pursurer when the helper almost killed him with the crossbow but it barely killed the boss instead.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Why aren't you guys playing ninja gaiden yet

the good one

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

That fight is worse than hard for a melee character, it's boring combined with highly punishing. I don't blame them for summoning just because gently caress that fight, it's the opposite of fun.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

hoobajoo posted:

That fight is worse than hard for a melee character, it's boring combined with highly punishing. I don't blame them for summoning just because gently caress that fight, it's the opposite of fun.

What? It's incredibly easy. Stand outside her scythe range because literally the only thing she can do is use her laser at that point, run sideways and forward, hit her a billion times because she takes forever to fire and recover, repeat.

The giant dog boss thingie is infinitely harder and Woolie managed that solo so I'm giving him the tired excuse.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I just think it's a shame that Nashandra has such a terrible fight, because I really like her music and the lore about her. It builds her up as this horrible, all-consuming alien thing wearing a thin veil of flesh, and then you fight her and just chump her.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

I just think it's a shame that Nashandra has such a terrible fight, because I really like her music and the lore about her. It builds her up as this horrible, all-consuming alien thing wearing a thin veil of flesh, and then you fight her and just chump her.

For all that Pat shits on DS2, even he comes to the conclusion that she's supposed to be weak as gently caress. She's the smallest part of Manus or whatever, and she can't beat a single boss post-Drangelic and only shows up once you have done all the hard parts yourself.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tae posted:

For all that Pat shits on DS2, even he comes to the conclusion that she's supposed to be weak as gently caress. She's the smallest part of Manus or whatever, and she can't beat a single boss post-Drangelic and only shows up once you have done all the hard parts yourself.

I guess. Still feels like a letdown to me. Gwyn gets off a little easier since he's a tragic figure as opposed to Nashandra's being the embodiment of evil.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gwyn's also less lame of a fight. I think it's appropriate for both of them to be relatively weak, but Nashandra's too weak, and also way less cool looking/has worse music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rodyle posted:

Gwyn's also less lame of a fight. I think it's appropriate for both of them to be relatively weak, but Nashandra's too weak, and also way less cool looking/has worse music.

I had a harder time with Nashandra and he curse fountains than I did with Gwyn "Please press L2 now" King of Fire.