Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

BraveUlysses posted:

me, send me a PM

Done, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

What are you running on? These days, one of the main reasons I prefer Linux is that it has drivers for every drat thing. About the only thing it has trouble with are some Macbooks.

Intel 82579LM integrated gigabit nic. Pretty standard really, the HP 8xxx series machines we've been getting for the past 2-3 years have came with it. Knowing my luck, it's probably the same nic the troubled Macbooks have.

keykey fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 9, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 224 days!)

keykey posted:

Intel 82579LM integrated gigabit nic.

I'd be surprised if I ran into a consumer grade loonix that didn't have e1000 in it already. I haven't had to compile any custom modules for several years. I think the last time I did, I was trying to get an NTSC TC tuner card to work. :v:

Well, the usual smog shop couldn't get their poo poo to talk to my car (this was a first). Neither terminal wanted to talk to the car. So, they kicked me over to the DMVs own emissions test station (required use following rejection). Plugged it in, worked straight off the bat. By coincidence, I had finally brought my ODBII bluetooth adaptor. Tested it, and all was fine. Torque is kind of fun to play with, but not so much on a teeny screen.

West SAAB Story fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 9, 2014

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
So this friend of mine who lost his job and traded in his '98 Z3 for an '05 545i regardless just got an interview with Tire Rack.

I want to work at Tire Rack :(

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Viggen posted:

I'd be surprised if I ran into a consumer grade loonix that didn't have e1000 in it already. I haven't had to compile any custom modules for several years. I think the last time I did, I was trying to get an NTSC TC tuner card to work.

Welp, it seems this builds default driver set didn't have the e1000 (e1000e-3.1.0.2) driver in its db already, it also had lovely to non-existent UEFI support. I used elementaryos-stable-amd64.20130810.iso which was what the default download link kicks to. After using for a bit, it looks like it's trying really hard to skin itself like OS X, but it's still all Linux-y under the shined up turd.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I did use to think of a reversing camera as a gimmick, but it really is helpful for seeing what is setting your parking sensors off, and getting really close to stuff.

I was the same. Then I bought my truck, which had one. Its a joy. Parking in a tight spot? Easy. Hooking up to the boat/landscape trailer? One shot and its done. Launching the boat/backing the trailer in somewhere? A breeze.

Seriously one of the most underrated things ever.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
There is nothing wrong with Linux as a desktop. people have been trained to jump through hoops to use Windows so they don't notice them so much any more (Win8 excluded). Linux has hoops too, but they are different. For the most part there are far less of them. The ones that still stand out to me are file sharing and printer configuration. Printer config isn't hard exactly but it can be difficult to figure out where to do it because of the number of different programs that can do it. Also the HP drivers as a separate entity keeps tripping me over. When everything else just works it's counter-intuitive.

File sharing is a goddamn mess. I don't even know if it's possible to do Windows sharing without opening smb.conf with a text editor at least once.

For the rest of it, finding and installing programs is drat easy, and there seems to be a decent equivalent for most things now, or a Linux port.

I also like that I can leave the computer on for a month or two and it still works the same as when I booted it.

/linux

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Welp, appetite returned with a vengeance today. Thank gently caress, I've been beyond weak, and dropped over 10 pounds.

Got a burrito with habanero sauce. Apparently I either lost my tolerance for spicy food in the days that I couldn't eat, or they put 50 extra habaneros in their habanero sauce. I'm sitting here staring at it. I've managed 5 bites, but every time I take a bite I want to run away and hide. This is a burrito place that I visit at least twice a week, and I always get their habanero sauce on my burritos/tacos/etc.

I think I'm just gonna order a pizza.

keykey posted:

Just gave it a shot and uhhh.. It's a thing.. There's a reason I haven't touched Linux again in close to 16 years. First is driver support. The manufacturer didn't have any Linux drivers, so I went to the chip set source and got a Linux driver there. Second, I had to extract it then run the make command in terminal, after 10 minutes of monkeying with it it finally worked. If the terminal has to be one of the first things a user touches, it's a failed OS. That is what alienates Linux from being anywhere close to being a viable option for 99.9% of the users out there. It's fine for web/mail/radius pool server environments, aka areas where computer nerds will be operating and maintaining the machine, but for home use forget it, it really offers absolutely nothing over any other OS.

The last several times I tried Linux, I didn't have to hunt down a single driver. Everything just worked, straight out of the box. Even an obscure USB wifi dongle, even a wifi printer. This is a home-built PC, and (Windows) drivers for it have been sometimes hard to find even on the motherboard manufacturer's website. I didn't have to track down a single driver for Linux.

Still use Windows, I've spent way too much money on games to ditch it. :smith:

keykey posted:

After using for a bit, it looks like it's trying really hard to skin itself like OS X, but it's still all Linux-y under the shined up turd.

In that case, I really hate to tell you what OSX is based on.

(unix and bsd - not quite linux, but still related)

General_Failure posted:

File sharing is a goddamn mess. I don't even know if it's possible to do Windows sharing without opening smb.conf with a text editor at least once.

I also like that I can leave the computer on for a month or two and it still works the same as when I booted it.

File sharing is a mess even in Windows, outside of server environments.

And uh.. my Win 8.1 desktop only gets rebooted when Microsoft pushes a "gently caress you" update that forces a reboot. I never thought I'd ever defend Windows (this is coming from someone who was once an official beta tester for OS/2, and hated anything and everything from Microsoft), but I've gone months between reboots on this PC. I think I'm sitting at about 3 weeks right now.

8's UI loving sucks without Startisback, but it's stable. And a bit quicker than 7 was.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 9, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

some texas redneck posted:

File sharing is a mess even in Windows, outside of server environments.

What? No it's not. It's dead easy.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
As long as everything is running a Win6 kernel it's pretty easy to fileshare, getting newer and older versions to communicate in a workgroup or whatever the hell ez file sharing sets up can be a bitch

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

In that case, I really hate to tell you what OSX is based on.

(unix and bsd - not quite linux, but still related)

Sure, its spergy, but its actually based on Mach which has a BSD layer on top of it. Apple hired the guy who made FreeBSD, after all. :v:

I kind of like/dislike the Exploder. Took it up to the lake to get some time for the whole system to get ready, since like a turd I cleared codes BEFORE I got it registered. Whoops. Everything is happy now, though. The dog adores it, she can sit up high and stare out at anything and everything. She didn't even want to go out to the lake- she just wanted to ride. It is comfortable, but even with barely two hours driving in, my sciatic is already tripping balls.

Eastest Oil Change- Ever. All I had to do was crawl under it and spend about 2 minutes removing the filter and drain plug.

The 4.0 is anemic as hell, though. It does NOT like crawling hills very fast. It'll hold itself at 70 on the highway, but not at a 8% grade. My gas milage in it is amazing. I averaged about 22mpg. Hell, my cars barely do better than that. :v:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gotta get that iron oxide back in my life baby.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Terrist posted:

What? No it's not. It's dead easy.

Not for us. I can click share, it says shared, but everything either times out (the usual response) or after a few minutes says I typed in the wrong homegroup password.

The only things I wanted to share was movies/tv/music anyway. Plex handles that pretty well, and handles streaming to set top boxes like butter.

Probably doesn't help that most of the computers here are running XP.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Ozmiander posted:

Gotta get that iron oxide back in my life baby.

that is a jpeg and you know it mister :colbert:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Welp, just sold the Studebaker. We talked, the guy wanted it inspected, so we did. Turns out the rust underneath was different than I thought... it's along the edges, while the center is quite clean, but the body mounts are all hosed up. The mechanic said there was so much body flex he couldn't open the door while it was up. He also said the rear end had been swapped to something Chevy, which explains why I couldn't identify it previously. The horn picked today to stop working, so there's that.

After talking about it, we settled on $4300.

I just paid for tags, and they're in the mail, so he gave me $4000, I gave him the title and the car, we'll exchange the $300 when I get the tags and can forward them on to him. This may have been stupid but eh, it doesn't make sense for him to try and dick me over $300. And if he does, gently caress it, it's $300.

Feels good to have it sold after listing it for so long, but it's also loving weird to not have the car any more.

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
Who wants to back my kickstarter idea for an oxy acetylene torch that starts playing the A Team theme song when you light it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

WOO BOMBED THE gently caress OUT OF MY CALC TEST

IM GONNA FLUNK THIS DEGREE AND LIVE UP TO MY PARENTS' EXPECTATIONS OF DISAPPOINTMENT

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

http://www.foxsports.com.au/more-sp...80496440d334b07

Ford is killing off its Australian Touring Car program at the end of next year. Was expected since they are closing down local production in 2016. However this isn't the first time Ford has done this in Australia, as they did kill off all involvement back in the late 70s.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fucknag posted:

IM GONNA FLUNK THIS DEGREE AND LIVE UP TO MY PARENTS' EXPECTATIONS OF DISAPPOINTMENT

Welcome to the club. Where should I send your membership card?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Torn Quad Jones posted:

Who wants to back my kickstarter idea for an oxy acetylene torch that starts playing the A Team theme song when you light it.

I don't recognize your name but you just might be an upcoming really drat good AI poster.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fucknag posted:

Took me 4 times to get through calc 3 and 3 times for calc 4.

Woo engineering :shobon:

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Fucknag posted:

I've got a degree in legal studies, part of an art degree, uprooted my life for engineering school, several years of experience in restaurants, dealership experience, and just started taking classes in Arabic and I've finally now realized that I'll never make my parents happy, no matter what I do with my life.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Motronic posted:

I don't recognize your name but you just might be an upcoming really drat good AI poster.

Agreed

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

goatse guy posted:

I've got a degree in legal studies, part of an art degree, uprooted my life for engineering school, several years of experience in restaurants, dealership experience, and just started taking classes in Arabic and I've finally now realized that I'll never make my parents happy, no matter what I do with my life.

WHEN ARE WE GETTING GRANDCHILDREN

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

You Am I posted:

WHEN ARE WE GETTING GRANDCHILDREN

Quite the opposite. My mom has begged me to not have children.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

No see the point was they expect me to fail and I want to go gently caress YOU MOM AND DAD and live a life of glory regardless but i seem to be proving them right.

Barely made it home without snapping and just driving at 12/10ths all the way to loving daytona or wherever I was so pissed at myself. I'm better now, but... man, gently caress. I loving hate when I know something, but I can't loving recall it when it actually matters.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Fucknag, you failed an exam...one single, measly exam. Your life or indeed you academic career are far from over.

Yeah it might feel kind of lovely, but life is absolutely full of failure, so get used to it. What you need to do is learn from your failure so that you don't do it again. My advice is to forget about it until tomorrow, then sit down and have a good session of self-reflection...try to figure out where you went wrong and what you should do differently. Then formulate a plan to make sure it won't happen again and critically, stick with it! Also, if you need help, get it. Find a study buddy (not that kind of "study buddy"); talk to your prof/TA to see if there is anything they can do to help you along

What I'm trying to say is there is no reason to give up on yourself just because you failed an exam; in the grand scheme of things it will likely prove to be a nearly-meaningless occurrence in your life. Failing that, you're still leading the Sheep Game!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, it's one test, I know, and this professor does 1 makeup exam per semester so I can re-do it later. Just... I seem to get chains of "poo poo going well" going, and then when they break I just get pissed off to an unhealthy degree, like all the good didn't count. It's a loving head problem, I've been dealing with it all my life.

Plus, y'know, I'm 26 and still 3 years away from a bachelor's, still unemployed, still don't have my own place (for gently caress's sake, even the car is still in my mom's name, if only because insurance is cheaper that way) and it loving gets to me, and no amount of "poo poo's that bad for everyone you're not alone" ever seems to penetrate and I just end up pissed off that I'm doing so poorly.

gently caress what I wouldn't give for about an ounce of pot right now if I hadn't quite forever six years ago.

Edit: ignore me i'm just venting some pent-up frustration. I'll be better once i eat. and get some sleep.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 10, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You could be 36 and couch surfing.

Also weed's the only reason I've even been able to hold food down in the past few days. Very, very, very stale weed; I bought an 1/8 6 months ago and still haven't finished it. I want to puke when I smoke it, but it kicks the nausea into the next state.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

You could be 36 and couch surfing.

Also weed's the only reason I've even been able to hold food down in the past few days.

God you are OLD.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

STR is old enough to be my dad. I wish he was, he's such a good role model.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wonder who gets the oldest AI poster title, I'm 43 so I know I'm pretty drat close.

Also why can't I pull weeds at 1am without being questioned by neighbors, I'm on a late schedule because of work and like to get poo poo done at night is that wrong? They're lucky I don't break out the loving impact to rotate my drat tires :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

N is for Nipples posted:

STR is old enough to be my dad. I wish he was, he's such a good role model.

:stare:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fucknag posted:

Yeah, it's one test, I know, and this professor does 1 makeup exam per semester so I can re-do it later. Just... I seem to get chains of "poo poo going well" going, and then when they break I just get pissed off to an unhealthy degree, like all the good didn't count. It's a loving head problem, I've been dealing with it all my life.

Plus, y'know, I'm 26 and still 3 years away from a bachelor's, still unemployed, still don't have my own place (for gently caress's sake, even the car is still in my mom's name, if only because insurance is cheaper that way) and it loving gets to me, and no amount of "poo poo's that bad for everyone you're not alone" ever seems to penetrate and I just end up pissed off that I'm doing so poorly.

gently caress what I wouldn't give for about an ounce of pot right now if I hadn't quite forever six years ago.

Edit: ignore me i'm just venting some pent-up frustration. I'll be better once i eat. and get some sleep.

I'm 27 with a career that I could retire from and have a check for life in another 13 years, with no degree, and not a day goes by that I don't loathe my loving life and wish poo poo was different and generally feel like a failure.

So, yeah.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
More train snap chats y/n?

I'm struggling with my own life right now. Feel like I need to do something.... Bigger but I don't know what

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

I'm 27 with a career that I could retire from and have a check for life in another 13 years, with no degree, and not a day goes by that I don't loathe my loving life and wish poo poo was different and generally feel like a failure.

So, yeah.

It's never too late to get into the hospitality industry :)

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I'm struggling with my own life right now. Feel like I need to do something.... Bigger but I don't know what

Bigger, schmigger. Just concentrate on trying to be happy.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 10, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

leica posted:

Seriously. I'm a high school dropout with his GED fixing water lines and keeping a small town's water supply system intact, and while i'm by no means rich and i'm working my rear end off just to put new tires on my car, i'm still able to stay happy and enjoy life. I get to spend time with my folks every week, i'm putting back money slowly but surely, and i'm living in a fairly beautiful area. It's not wealth or riches, but i'm content for right now. Just have to enjoy every day as it comes :v:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

I know I know. Its just I have hit a stale point in life.

But the real question is... More train snap chats?

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

leica posted:

I wonder who gets the oldest AI poster title, I'm 43 so I know I'm pretty drat close.

Also why can't I pull weeds at 1am without being questioned by neighbors, I'm on a late schedule because of work and like to get poo poo done at night is that wrong? They're lucky I don't break out the loving impact to rotate my drat tires :argh:

At 19-1/4 years I'm swinging for youngest, but I'm sure there's someone who took my 18-year-old AI nerd spot.

Steady job, sweet ride, experienced enough to tell me how to safely drugs, etc.

e: also immaculate hygiene and health, beautiful face, strong genes, tall, slim, handsome, etc

solarNativity fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010

leica posted:

It's never too late to get into the hospitality industry :)

Never get into hospitality. It eats YOUR SOUL. Seriously though, gently caress hospitality.

e: EVER

• Locked thread