Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.

Asema posted:

Just because you've never heard of a Dundalk accent doesn't make it a horrible southern/cajun accent. Bates did a pretty good imitation of it.

As someone who has to go to Dundalk on a regular basis, I wish it was as tame as the freak show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

This season is reportedly Jessica Lange's last performance before her retirement. Lange's been quoted as saying that she wants to "go out in a bang." Murphy is sad to lose her, but plans to continue the series.

If the preview is any indication of how this season will progress, I give Bette three episodes before she tries to kill Dot for stealing the spotlight.

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

Cotato posted:

Why would a tall woman be in a freak show?

Not just a tall woman, but the tallest woman in the world, as I understand. Same reason the smallest woman is there.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Weird going from Coven's over the top camp to this. Twisty sure is a piece of work.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

i am bones posted:

Not just a tall woman, but the tallest woman in the world, as I understand. Same reason the smallest woman is there.

Not the tallest in the world, she's only 6'8".

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

Also not born a woman so doesnt count

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The sexuality in this season seems a lot more blunt and expressed than it was in the previous ones with conjoined twin masturbation, lobster fingering and so on.

This show is loved by the Jezebel/Gawker/SJW crowd because of the strong female characters. How are they going to feel about gang rape happening and the recording of it then being used to extort silence from the victim?

klf11
Aug 17, 2014
great premiere, cant unsee that creepy rear end clown tho.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
The musical number completely took me out of the story. I guess I'm the only one, which is good since it's probably going to be a once-an-ep thing. Murphys gonna Murphy.

Otherwise though this was fantastic and I say that as someone who hated the first two and kinda enjoyed Coven even though it was a complete mess and sputtered hard by the end.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

COOL CORN posted:

I think within the show she's supposed to be the tallest woman in the world. It's the '50s. Maybe back then 6'8" was the tallest height for a woman. Also, while the actress is a trans woman, I'm not getting the impression that the character is too.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

evobatman posted:

How are they going to feel about gang rape happening and the recording of it then being used to extort silence from the victim?

A version of this has happened every season since the start so ... shouldn't be a problem?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Eve may not be deformed or even bizarrely tall, but she probably still feels like a freak, as a woman who is taller than most men. Even today tall girls can be teased in school, but especially in the '50s, when a woman was expected to be more dainty and ladylike, and it's hard to do that when you need size 10+ shoes, tower over your suitors, etc.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Cotato posted:

Why would a tall woman be in a freak show?

The Amazing Giant Woman! (Also they're desperate)

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

Teek posted:

Murphy already has his idea for next season apparently. He said in an EW.com interview that there will already start to be hints for next season's theme in this season's first few episodes.

He's said this every season since the first.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
This was an awesome first episode. I never actually felt scared watching this show until now. That clown? Fuuuuuck.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Sorry if this has already been posted, but I have a windup clown that plays the same music as the one he has in his murder trailer. Anyone know the name of the song?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Asiina posted:

Holy poo poo, that's it!!

It's the same voice John Travolta did in Hairspray (which is set in Baltimore).

Thank god, now I can go to bed.l

http://youtu.be/3qeY0mIn1K0

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

The musical number completely took me out of the story. I guess I'm the only one, which is good since it's probably going to be a once-an-ep thing. Murphys gonna Murphy.

Otherwise though this was fantastic and I say that as someone who hated the first two and kinda enjoyed Coven even though it was a complete mess and sputtered hard by the end.

Not trying to be rude but do you often keep watching shows you dont enjoy even after 3 full seasons?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
I think if everyone just remembered this is set in the 50s, they'd accept/understand the actions of the characters a little better.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
Also I found this on the AHS Facebook page.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Why do you think the musical number is going to be every episode? Traditionally they only have one musical number per season.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

foxatee posted:

I think if everyone just remembered this is set in the 50s, they'd accept/understand the actions of the characters a little better.

Nope, still don't get Twisty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Coconut Indian posted:

Also I found this on the AHS Facebook page.

One of the recaps I read immediately named him "Edward Dildohands".

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

CannedMacabre posted:

A clown with a loving murder bus. I'm screaming on the inside.

Either sentence above is perfect for this year's thread title.

chapstickie
Apr 30, 2011

gingersmurf posted:

Either sentence above is perfect for this year's thread title.

Can we have both? They work well together.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
It's techically not a Murder bus yet. I hope it doesn't turn into one :ohdear:

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I wonder which Freak Twisty is gonna off first :ohdear:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
You know Amazon Eve and inked British dude are on the hit list. It sucks :(

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
the clown is trying very hard to be scary but all I see is mimi's crossdresser boyfriend from the drew carey show and it makes everything hilarious

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
It may not be intentional, but the juxtaposition of aw shucks 50's America, stages and red curtains, dark sexuality, physical deformities, and surreal spurts of violence gave me a real David Lynch vibe. Like, he'd never make something exactly like this, but during the song it just hit me like a wave, that same sense of intensely emotional weirdness. The sense of humor and sense of horror. I dunno.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Am I insane for liking the Madame's song?

Twisty watching the gang chop up the cop was cool, I hope he finds a family there. Or something.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Clowns never bothered me but apparently sinister clowns terrify my daughter, the outright murder didn't phase her but when that clown started making balloon animals she dashed from the room. I'm liking this season much better than Coven.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How old is your daughter you loving monster?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

wormil posted:

Clowns never bothered me but apparently sinister clowns terrify my daughter, the outright murder didn't phase her but when that clown started making balloon animals she dashed from the room. I'm liking this season much better than Coven.

Like it was said earlier, the juxtaposition with Twisty brutally murdering dudes and then doing tricks for a couple caged up kids really makes him more sinister. During the murderbus scene, he actually seemed like a child, including throwing a tantrum, and that just made it really creepy.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

wormil posted:

Feenix posted:

How old is your daughter you loving monster?

Haha, what's going on here?

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Waffleman_ posted:

Nope, still don't get Twisty.

Well, that's an obvious exception. gently caress that guy. He is the most terrifying thing that's ever come about in this franchise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ryan Murphy says that next week's episode is ALSO 90 minutes! Hachi machi!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well, I said I was out after one episode if I didn't like what I saw. I think I'm through to next week at least.

The clown is horrifying and I want to see where the show is going, though if it feels a bit aimless after the next episode I'll just hold off until I can watch the season all at once.

Waffleman_ posted:

Ryan Murphy says that next week's episode is ALSO 90 minutes! Hachi machi!

I'd actually call that a strike against continuing.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

ThatPazuzu posted:

Why do you think the musical number is going to be every episode? Traditionally they only have one musical number per season.
I was inferring from Dot singing "Criminal" in the preview and PTSD from watching the entire run of Glee. The nice woman who married me really likes Ryan Murphy shows.

TheBizzness posted:

Not trying to be rude but do you often keep watching shows you dont enjoy even after 3 full seasons?
See above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That premiere was more than good enough to wash away the awful taste of last season. As others have mentioned: great cinematography, great acting, and genuinely scary. Hope it continues this way.

• Locked thread