Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You should try the Azzarello run, it's good.

Yeah Delano and most of the Ennis run are probably better but Azzarello's a solid #3.

Gotta disagree with that. Delano, Ennis, Jenkins, and Casey had the best runs. Azzarello had one or two solid storylines and the rest were just dogshit. Denise Mina was just awful, and Ellis and Milligan were in the middle. Ellis could have been better if he was not cut short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Ennis did Dangerous Habits, which loving rules even if the movie took a poo poo on it, but a good chunk of Ennis' work is illustrated by Steve Dillon, and I simply cannot stand his art.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

bobkatt013 posted:

Gotta disagree with that. Delano, Ennis, Jenkins, and Casey had the best runs. Azzarello had one or two solid storylines and the rest were just dogshit. Denise Mina was just awful, and Ellis and Milligan were in the middle. Ellis could have been better if he was not cut short.

I really like Milligan's run, but I'm sure a lot of that is Camuncoli's art. Also I've read Original Sins and that's it of the old stuff, gotta go back and catch up with the rest of it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I've only read bits and pieces of the Jenkins run but I don't care for it at all. I don't know if I've ever liked a Paul Jenkins book, actually. Some of his Sentry stuff was okay I guess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Martello posted:

I really like Milligan's run, but I'm sure a lot of that is Camuncoli's art. Also I've read Original Sins and that's it of the old stuff, gotta go back and catch up with the rest of it.

I liked Milligan's run, but the other runs were so good that it is just middle of the pack.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Azzarello and Diggle's issues are by far the worst ones in the entire series. Diggle's is mostly bad because it takes elements introduced by better writers and changes them into a frankly adolescent take on the character and his history. Azzarello's is simply written horrendously.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You should try the Azzarello run, it's good.

I've read all of Hellblazer. Azzarello is the nadir, even worse than Mina. I think his own characters are cardboard cutouts, but he has proven repeatedly that he is completely incapable of writing anyone else's. This is the dumb fucker who had the Comedian crying over JFK's assassination in Before Watchmen when not only did the Comedian openly dislike Kennedy, it is strongly implied that he was the real assassin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I once showed a few panels of Azzarello's Hellblazer to a friend, and he didn't believe me that it was real dialogue written by a professional writer.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I once showed a few panels of Azzarello's Hellblazer to a friend, and he didn't believe me that it was real dialogue written by a professional writer.

Your friend should read more.

I know I'm the only one here who likes Azzarello's run, but that's okay because I know it's great. Hell, it maintains a consistent high note better than Ennis' run, even if its peaks aren't quite as high.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Is anything worth reading in Vertigo after The Unwritten and Sandman Overture end? I noticed that most of my reading list has shifted to Image and various other publishers, which seem to have taken up the mantle after Vertigo stopped being the place to go for your weird rear end, but cool series.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Azzarello's run was garbage, only Mina's was worse.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

Ellis's run on Hellblazer is fuckin doodoo.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Your friend should read more.

I know I'm the only one here who likes Azzarello's run, but that's okay because I know it's great. Hell, it maintains a consistent high note better than Ennis' run, even if its peaks aren't quite as high.

You and me we are Azzarello Bros.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

GrandpaPants posted:

Is anything worth reading in Vertigo after The Unwritten and Sandman Overture end? I noticed that most of my reading list has shifted to Image and various other publishers, which seem to have taken up the mantle after Vertigo stopped being the place to go for your weird rear end, but cool series.

I hear Astro City's been as good as ever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Astro City made me cry again this week. Seriously its so loving good it's criminal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

Ellis's run on Hellblazer is fuckin doodoo.

I like Haunted but his single issue stories there are not some of his better work.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually like Azzarello's Hellblazer run and am pretty okay with Warren Ellis's run.

Ennis's run is marred by the fact that he came back and wrote the atrocious gently caress pig run but yeah, Ennis's early Helblazer is probably the best it's ever been.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I like Haunted but his single issue stories there are not some of his better work.

His better work is also mostly doodoo. Planetary is probably the only thing by him that I haven't grown to outright hate and it's still like half of a good story and even that half has a decent amount of dumb poo poo (cough Constantine's funeral cough).

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

His better work is also mostly doodoo. Planetary is probably the only thing by him that I haven't grown to outright hate and it's still like half of a good story and even that half has a decent amount of dumb poo poo (cough Constantine's funeral cough).

Are you telling me you don't like Nextwave or Moon Knight?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I forgot about Dickeye's irrational hatred of Ellis, carry on.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Senor Candle posted:

Are you telling me you don't like Nextwave or Moon Knight?

I hate Nextwave, it's all the worst parts of Transmet without any of the good ones. His Moon Knight is like my least favorite run that didn't happen in the 90s, and even the 90s stuff featured Marc teaming up with Punisher to fight a cult that had resurrected Randall Spector to turn him into their own Moon Knight. That ruled.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I think it's great that there are dissenting opinions about comics such as Azzarello's Hellblazer run and I guess the entirety of Warren Ellis' works? Personally I was a big fan of Transmetropolitan and Planetary but also recall liking Global Frequency and his work on The Authority.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Remember when you got worked up by that dumb poo poo people were doing when they were irrationally slagging off Ennis? You're being just as bad as them now, so good one champ.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I forgot about Dickeye's irrational hatred of Ellis, carry on.

I don't hate what Ellis writes (except Planetary, gently caress that overhyped poo poo), I just hate Ellis. The man's a contemptible dog with zero respect for the fans who put food on his table.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

I don't hate what Ellis writes (except Planetary, gently caress that overhyped poo poo), I just hate Ellis. The man's a contemptible dog with zero respect for the fans who put food on his table.

That sounds dope.

Ellis is hit or miss, but I thought his Moon Knight was a big one for the "hit" column.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sentinel Red posted:

Remember when you got worked up by that dumb poo poo people were doing when they were irrationally slagging off Ennis? You're being just as bad as them now, so good one champ.

Hardly because I'm not calling anyone names for liking Ellis. I'm saying that I personally can't stand the vast majority of what he's written. But no that's the same thing as calling me a rape apologist you're right I apologize.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I read like at least 30 issues of The Unwritten is it worth picking up? I just kind of got bored.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

American Vampire is still going and it's really good.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Hollismason posted:

I read like at least 30 issues of The Unwritten is it worth picking up? I just kind of got bored.

I like it, but it doesn't pick up or anything past 30, so maybe it's just not your thing.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I read 20 initially, and didn't get bored, I just found it a bit too dense to read month to month -- I'd have forgotten things from a few issues ago. But it's only a few months away from finishing, and I bet it will be entirely worth it once it's wrapped.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Yeah, I finished a complete re-read last month, and it blew me away how awesome it was to read it that way.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I would love to go back and read Unwritten and get all caught up but the minute they announced a Fables crossover that poo poo was dead to me. Ain't no getting the stink of Willingham off your poo poo.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

I would love to go back and read Unwritten and get all caught up but the minute they announced a Fables crossover that poo poo was dead to me. Ain't no getting the stink of Willingham off your poo poo.

It... wasn't terrible? And it didn't actually interact with the main Fables continuity. The Tom/Tommy bits were great character development, too.

That's the best I can say about it, though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

That crossover was the best thing to come from Fables in years.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

For Unwritten you could skip the crossover entirely and not miss anything.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Punctual locomotives.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Len posted:

Yes, but it was the worst thing in Unwritten ever.

Kull - I'm pretty sure the Fables crossover ends with something important to Apocalypse, so sadly it cannot be completely ignored.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Jedit posted:

Yes, but it was the worst thing in Unwritten ever.
Kull - I'm pretty sure the Fables crossover ends with something important to Apocalypse, so sadly it cannot be completely ignored.

Might be but I skipped the crossover (gently caress that noise) and so far its completely unnecessary. Mind spoiling what happened in the crossover?

Whose idea was it to have that crossover anyway? Was it Mike Carey's idea? Did Unwritten need a sales boost?

I've been enjoying Unwritten, if you're on the fence I say give it another chance.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

You can just skip the crossover, you know. It goes straight back to business as usual as soon as it's over, and the crossover is pretty much inconsequential.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Goatmask posted:

Might be but I skipped the crossover (gently caress that noise) and so far its completely unnecessary. Mind spoiling what happened in the crossover?

Blah blah blah now we're in the Fables universe. There's a big war, the FINAL war. And it ends with Tommy using the horn (what is it they call it?) to destroy the universe.

Goatmask posted:

Whose idea was it to have that crossover anyway? Was it Mike Carey's idea? Did Unwritten need a sales boost?

I think it's got the stink of DC-mandated marketing all over it. By the end it was so obvious that all they said about it being a crucial narrative juncture for both comics was utter bullshit. I doubt the creators did it of their own volition.

Also, it hardly bears repeating in this thread, but to ANYBODY even considering picking up The Unwritten, just do it. It's a Vertigo classic. Every new issue is a loaded cornucopia of creativity.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You can just skip the crossover, you know. It goes straight back to business as usual as soon as it's over, and the crossover is pretty much inconsequential.

See above re: Willingham stank.

• Locked thread