Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
PitViper probably has less bandwidth to throw around. I'm in the same boat. 3 Connections does fine for me, but I'm about to switch ISPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Well I'm allowed 20 if I remember right, so I set 7 per server (US/EU). I never checked to see if fewer would still max my downstream, its mostly to ensure I don't accidentally try and use more connections than I'm allowed. And I do only have 30mbit service, as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

PitViper posted:

Well I'm allowed 20 if I remember right, so I set 7 per server (US/EU). I never checked to see if fewer would still max my downstream, its mostly to ensure I don't accidentally try and use more connections than I'm allowed. And I do only have 30mbit service, as well.

I see.

PitViper posted:

I use frugalusenet as my primary, with blocknews and tweaknews as backup sources for anything older. I also have the EU server for frugal set, and just cut connections on each to a third of my max allowed. I very rarely get anything that doesn't download properly, and it's significantly cheaper than my old newshosting + blocknews setup.

The way this was worded, it sounded like you might mean that because you had multiple servers configured you thought you needed to reduce your max connections on each.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?
I reduce the number of connections on the more expensive backup block servers to 1. My theory is I do it so the cheaper servers would see more fill action, although I don't honestly know if it accomplishes anything.

Really wish SAB had priority for backup servers... One of these days I guess I should stop being lazy and give nzbget a shot.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Jesse Iceberg posted:

I had a different experience with News demon.

I got one of their 1TB fire sale deals a while back to use as a spare block account and, when I log in to my account on their web interface, my account still shows as active with nearly a TB left on it.
But logging in to their news servers with the same login details in SAB just gets me an authentication failed error. It's very weird. I haven't contacted their support yet, mostly because I have a feeling they'll just fob me off.

They did this to me. Apparently their "non-expiring" block accounts actually do expire and you have to beg support fix your account. It took me an hour or so of going back and forth with support to get this corrected. This is yet another reason to avoid them.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Thermopyle posted:

I see.

The way this was worded, it sounded like you might mean that because you had multiple servers configured you thought you needed to reduce your max connections on each.

Sorry. I should have clarified that I'm using a single frugalusenet account, which allows 30 connections, but using both the US/EU servers as separate entries in SAB. Assuming it tries to use both at the same time (which is doesn't, the US server has roughly 2.5 times the total transfer vs the EU server in my list) I didn't want to exceed my maximum allowed connections per account. I just noticed that I am allowed 30 connections, but 7 seems to be plenty to max out my downstream.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

visuvius posted:

Often times the same item is posted twice with the exact same name, like it won't even say "RP". When using the RSS function in sabnzbd, is there any way to make it only download one of the two posts? I see how to exclude stuff but I'm not sure how to exclude duplicates.

Anyone got a solution for this?

In general, do you guys have any tips for using RSS to automate downloads?

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

visuvius posted:

Anyone got a solution for this?

In general, do you guys have any tips for using RSS to automate downloads?

Config > Switches > Queue > Delete Duplicate Downloads > Discard

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
If you want to stop subsequent downloads with the exact same name as something you've already downloaded or already have in queue what you need to configure SAB's Detect Duplicate Downloads setting on the switches page.

E: Blimey.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Trying to check out this newfangled usenet thing all the cool kids use, but I'm not sure exactly what I need to do. I got a free account at Xsusenet and I'm trying to configure SABnzbd but so far the server free.xsusenet.com just times out. isitdownorjustme.com says the server is unreachable, is that just a thing that happens sometimes or am I doing something wrong?

Also in terms of general Usenet setup from the OP, my Usenet provider is Xsusenet and my newsreader is SAB, later on do I just add some of the free options from the Usenet Indexer list for Xusenet to use? I'm still not clear on how those 3 things all fit together.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

sedative posted:

Config > Switches > Queue > Delete Duplicate Downloads > Discard

Thanks so much, I would have had a lot of trouble finding this.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Takes No Damage posted:

Trying to check out this newfangled usenet thing all the cool kids use, but I'm not sure exactly what I need to do. I got a free account at Xsusenet and I'm trying to configure SABnzbd but so far the server free.xsusenet.com just times out. isitdownorjustme.com says the server is unreachable, is that just a thing that happens sometimes or am I doing something wrong?

Also in terms of general Usenet setup from the OP, my Usenet provider is Xsusenet and my newsreader is SAB, later on do I just add some of the free options from the Usenet Indexer list for Xusenet to use? I'm still not clear on how those 3 things all fit together.

It took me months to figure this out, but you have to sign in to the xsusenet site and do...something before the free account is active. I don't remember what, though.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Jesse Iceberg posted:

I had a different experience with News demon.

I got one of their 1TB fire sale deals a while back to use as a spare block account and, when I log in to my account on their web interface, my account still shows as active with nearly a TB left on it.
But logging in to their news servers with the same login details in SAB just gets me an authentication failed error. It's very weird. I haven't contacted their support yet, mostly because I have a feeling they'll just fob me off.

This exact same thing happened to me. Contacted their support and they sorted it out and now it works again just fine.

Jesse Iceberg
Jan 7, 2012

amitlu posted:

This exact same thing happened to me. Contacted their support and they sorted it out and now it works again just fine.

Interesting, thanks for the heads-up. I'll try contacting their support and see what happens. I guess I was put off from their generally shady reputation before.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Takes No Damage posted:

Keep in mind that the free Usenet account there has a speed limit on it. Most of us just use that for binary availability to fill in missing segments of files. It's useful to see how Usenet works but it's not an end solution.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
Literally like 1Mb/s download

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nitr0 posted:

Literally like 1Mb/s download

Did they increase it? It used to be close to 50kb/s or 100kb/s if I remember correctly.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It has 1mb/s but like, 10 days retention.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

It has 1mb/s but like, 10 days retention.

It says 10 days but it actually has much longer when you try attempt files, unless they've fixed that.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
What is the current most Goon Approved method of using Sickbeard with Usenet, but also with Torrents for the stuff Usenet doesn't receive?

I used ThePirateBay fork of SickBeard for a while now but I am ready to build a new "server" and was wondering what's considered the newest method since what I am doing is outdated according to all the threads I am reading.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Melmac posted:

What is the current most Goon Approved method of using Sickbeard with Usenet, but also with Torrents for the stuff Usenet doesn't receive?

I used ThePirateBay fork of SickBeard for a while now but I am ready to build a new "server" and was wondering what's considered the newest method since what I am doing is outdated according to all the threads I am reading.

Use Nzbdrone it has torrent support and failed download handling.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

JoeMB posted:

He will have to switch over to the Torrent release, since it is not available in the regular version yet. Supposed to be coming pretty soon, though.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I'm getting tons of "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks", why is this? I use binsearch and sabnzbd.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Megaman posted:

I'm getting tons of "Repair failed, not enough repair blocks", why is this? I use binsearch and sabnzbd.

Is it old or new stuff?

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Is it old or new stuff?

More than 100 days, sometimes a couple hundred. What's a good indexer these days? I feel like binsearch has fallen off the earth in terms of quality.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Megaman posted:

Neither of those two things are the reason for that error. The reason is content owners requesting DMCA takedowns of the files. The providers then break the files just enough that the files can't be repaired. The only way to really combat this is to have a second provider (usually a block plan) as a backup. You'll never be 100% safe from DMCA takedowns though.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Neither of those two things are the reason for that error. The reason is content owners requesting DMCA takedowns of the files. The providers then break the files just enough that the files can't be repaired. The only way to really combat this is to have a second provider (usually a block plan) as a backup. You'll never be 100% safe from DMCA takedowns though.

When you say backup do you mean I can configure sabnzbd to look at a backup for missing parts? Or do I have to completely reconfigure? I could get another provider but I'm not even sure how that would work configuration wise.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Megaman posted:

When you say backup do you mean I can configure sabnzbd to look at a backup for missing parts? Or do I have to completely reconfigure? I could get another provider but I'm not even sure how that would work configuration wise.

Yes you get a second provider for missing parts. All you do is add the second server the same way you added the primary. There is an option to add it as Backup.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

g0del posted:

Not to knock Blocknews, but that 365 days retention is only for the website. NNTP retention is over 2000 days for Easynews too, and they only count half your download when you use NNTP. They also use a different backend providers, so it works well to use one as a backup for the other.

This is exactly what I do and hardly ever run into trouble, apart from the occasional "Invalid par2 files, cannot verify or repair" which 95% of the time is fine when I just run it through QuickPar.

My question: I'm thinking of switching from Sickbeard, does NZBDrone or any other service handle meta data, like MetaGenerator? I like all my TiVo programs to look similar on the My Shows screen, whether they're from the computer or just regular TiVo, and I feel like there's probably a much easier/automated solution out there and really I've just been lazy in looking.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Smeep posted:

This is exactly what I do and hardly ever run into trouble, apart from the occasional "Invalid par2 files, cannot verify or repair" which 95% of the time is fine when I just run it through QuickPar.

My question: I'm thinking of switching from Sickbeard, does NZBDrone or any other service handle meta data, like MetaGenerator? I like all my TiVo programs to look similar on the My Shows screen, whether they're from the computer or just regular TiVo, and I feel like there's probably a much easier/automated solution out there and really I've just been lazy in looking.

NZBDrone supports metadata for Roksbox, WDTV, MediaBrowser and XBMC. So if you use one of those, or one that supports one of those style of metadata, then yes.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Smeep posted:

I don't know what Sab's problem was with files like those but I noticed I haven't that issue since switching to NZBGet.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've had 2 providers forever and have never has a successful automatic repair

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

JoeMB posted:

Thank you. So I just use the NZBdrone (the torrent version) and still use SABNZBD? Or do you recommend a different NZB program for "use" with NZBdrone?

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Melmac posted:

Thank you. So I just use the NZBdrone (the torrent version) and still use SABNZBD? Or do you recommend a different NZB program for "use" with NZBdrone?

SABnzbd works fine or NZBGet works fine, whichever one floats your boat.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there any word on Sickbeard adding something for failed downloads? I'm 100% happy with my setup and don't want to switch it up because of one tiny thing, but the occasional failed download is super annoying.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
I don't consider failed download support a tiny thing. It is a major feature IMHO. If you mostly like Sickbeard I think that a fork called SickRage has failed download support. Personally I'm switching to NzbDrone.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

Diviance posted:

SABnzbd works fine or NZBGet works fine, whichever one floats your boat.

Thank you!

I switched to NZBDrone. However, the lack of torrent support is going to be a problem because one of the shows (it airs daily) that I watch is never on usenet, it's always only on TPB. Should I just install TBP fork of SickBeard, leave it just for torrents, and have NZBDrone handle the rest (things that are on usenet)?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Melmac posted:

Thank you!

I switched to NZBDrone. However, the lack of torrent support is going to be a problem because one of the shows (it airs daily) that I watch is never on usenet, it's always only on TPB. Should I just install TBP fork of SickBeard, leave it just for torrents, and have NZBDrone handle the rest (things that are on usenet)?

Nzbdrone has a torrent branch in beta right now. So you can use that.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

xgalaxy posted:

I don't consider failed download support a tiny thing. It is a major feature IMHO. If you mostly like Sickbeard I think that a fork called SickRage has failed download support. Personally I'm switching to NzbDrone.

I meant tiny in the sense that I'd have to change my entire setup in order to compensate for something that happens maybe once or twice a week, and isn't that big of a deal. I'll look into SickRage, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
I am trying to use NZBDrone but it cannot seem to find episodes that aired as early as yesterday. I only have Wombles and NZBplanet enabled (all others require payments for API keys) so I was wondering if anyone used anything else that could do a decent search? Or am I basically not going to get search enabled for free?