Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Does SC stand for Soccer Club.

I mean, they redesign the badge to look more 'legit', and persist with 'soccer club'

But they play soccer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
i want to shoot the idiot who came up with the nickname "crew sc".

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Fag Boy Jim posted:

personally I think it's best to split the difference and go with "AFC"

"American Football Club"?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Fag Boy Jim posted:

personally I think it's best to split the difference and go with "AFC"
arsenal fans club

oliwan posted:

i want to shoot the idiot who came up with the nickname "crew sc".

chopped and screwed

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Polidoro posted:

Clubs give themselves their own nicknames in MLS? The MLS is fake (and gay) as hell.

Only two non-club name nicknames are any good, the Goonies (for San Jose) and the Hoops (for Dallas). The rest are colors or old official names for the teams.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
those are retarded nicknames too and boy do i know about retarded nicknames

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

CaptainYesterday posted:

Only two non-club name nicknames are any good, the Goonies (for San Jose) and the Hoops (for Dallas). The rest are colors or old official names for the teams.

Fans voted on TFC being the Reds. Everyone calls them TFC anyway I think.

DC is United or DCU. Only the team calls them the Black and Red, because there ain't much red in that shirt.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Fans voted on TFC being the Reds. Everyone calls them TFC anyway I think.

DC is United or DCU. Only the team calls them the Black and Red, because there ain't much red in that shirt.
They also used to have a set of three horizontal stripes across the shirt, which was actually fairly unique until of course they had to get rid of it so they could slap a big Volkswagen logo across the front of the shirt.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
All-black as the first-choice strip color is surprisingly rare.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
hey bro check out this cool football called Fulham Football Club, you might know them by their nickname "Fulham FC"

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I had a few minutes and created a set of .icns of some of my favorite club crests, does anyone want them (about 150 or so) and know of a place for me to dump them? I do not want to host them myself (archive is about 65 MB)

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I mean, they redesign the badge to look more 'legit', and persist with 'soccer club'

No it doesn't stand for anything. The full name of the club is "Columbus Crew SC".

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

pik_d posted:

No it doesn't stand for anything. The full name of the club is "Columbus Crew SC".

I... I think that's even worse

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Bogan Krkic posted:

I... I think that's even worse

They're far from he only ones.

Toronto FC
FC Dallas
Chivas USA
LA Galaxy
Seattle Sounders FC
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
New York City Football Club

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Lol at me for assuming the SC meant Sporting Club.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
loving Van Persie...

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Gold and a Pager posted:

loving Van Persie...

Yea he'd make a poo poo badge.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
poo poo, wrong thread :(

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Here's a good one for the thread:

That's their full name. Every word.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

HJB posted:

Here's a good one for the thread:

That's their full name. Every word.
Those in the know call them JRBCAFC

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
They'll be dancing in the streets of Jarrow Roofing Boldon Community tonight

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Wikipedia posted:

The current manager, Richie McLoughlin is also the founder, chairman and built the stadium with members of the committee – McLoughlin has been manager since 1987.
Truly a one club man at an one man club.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Just seen that Stand United, of the Tanzanian Premier League, have this marvelous badge:

JingleBells fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 21, 2014

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

JingleBells posted:

Just seen that Stand United, of the Tanzanian Premier League, have this marvelous badge:

I feel they're treading a dangerous route here re: bus standing.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The action lines really make that badge. That shoe definitely just kicked that ball

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

You see some fascinating badges and team names in Africa. Example:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Paraguay has decided that they need an upgrade(?).

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
If the new one is on the left, :barf:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Tbh for American clubs SC is better than FC because it's not as try hard

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Also i doubt anyone gets worked up when Italian clubs have AC, for associazione calcio or whatever I know i misspelled the first word but i wanted to prove i knew what AC meant

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

What about teams having SC for Sporting Club, is that bad?

XBenedict posted:

Paraguay has decided that they need an upgrade(?).

These both suck

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

tbp posted:

Tbh for American clubs SC is better than FC because it's not as try hard

No you see if it rips off European naming conventions in anyway then it's stupid, fake, and trying to "invent history" but if it's something like the Colorado Rapids it's cartoonish and "mickey mouse league" stuff. Maybe someday the MLS will name a team that hits the non-existent middle ground that placates annoying Europeans who don't care about the product anyways.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Seltzer posted:

No you see if it rips off European naming conventions in anyway then it's stupid, fake, and trying to "invent history" but if it's something like the Colorado Rapids it's cartoonish and "mickey mouse league" stuff. Maybe someday the MLS will name a team that hits the non-existent middle ground that placates annoying Europeans who don't care about the product anyways.

There is no need to melt down, my friend

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Maybe just name your clubs after the place and the thing that it is, like say New York City Football Club or Toronto FC who have normal club names that aren't ridiculed

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bogan Krkic posted:

Maybe just name your clubs after the place and the thing that it is, like say New York City Football Club or Toronto FC who have normal club names that aren't ridiculed

But using FC is too try-hardy

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

tbp posted:

Also i doubt anyone gets worked up when Italian clubs have AC, for associazione calcio or whatever I know i misspelled the first word but i wanted to prove i knew what AC meant

Hell, you spelled it right.

Here's a story about a crest that's probably going to change:

http://www.just-football.com/2014/12/a-club-without-a-name-steaua-bucharest-name-stripped/

Steaua Bucharest has lost the right to call themselves that and are being forced to remove the word "steaua" (star) and the actual red star in their logo because the Romanian Army owns the brand according to a recent court ruling. You have to wonder what monetary gain the Army will be getting from this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bogan Krkic posted:

Toronto FC is cool and good especially compared to stupid names like Real Salt Lake or Los Angeles Galaxy or Central Coast Mariners or Brisbane Roar, imo.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Gigi Galli posted:

Hell, you spelled it right.

Here's a story about a crest that's probably going to change:

http://www.just-football.com/2014/12/a-club-without-a-name-steaua-bucharest-name-stripped/

Steaua Bucharest has lost the right to call themselves that and are being forced to remove the word "steaua" (star) and the actual red star in their logo because the Romanian Army owns the brand according to a recent court ruling. You have to wonder what monetary gain the Army will be getting from this.

Are they still able to call themselves Steaua Bucharest? Because that's a recognisable name across the world imo (at least by football fans), even if the crest probably isn't.

vyelkin posted:

Toronto FC is cool and good especially compared to stupid names like Real Salt Lake or Los Angeles Galaxy or Central Coast Mariners or Brisbane Roar, imo.

I really hate that my best team is called Melbourne Victory because that's a loving shocking name

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Bogan Krkic posted:

Are they still able to call themselves Steaua Bucharest? Because that's a recognisable name across the world imo (at least by football fans), even if the crest probably isn't.

From what I've read they got an injunction to call themselves Steaua in European competition, but in the Romanian league they've had to tape over their crest on the shirts, the PA announcer has called them "the home team" or "the champions of Romania" during games, and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

They should rename themselves Sporting Real Bucharest Superstars FC

• Locked thread