Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
admataY
Oct 16, 2008
So , I wanna get on some SC : BLACKLISTT action , yet Uplay keep trying to redownload 2 gb worth of patching each and every play session . I almost feel privileged to have ubi-launcher installed on my machine, thanks ubisoft !
Also, the game wont let me use resolution higher then 1080p and even that after a long cutscene and introduction level playing on a small screen before giving me any chance to even check game setting . I love me some splinter cell, but this is just too much bullshit to deal with .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Which Splinter Cell would be good/representative/enjoyable for someone who's never played the series?

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Pierzak posted:

Which Splinter Cell would be good/representative/enjoyable for someone who's never played the series?

chaos theory

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Pierzak posted:

Chaos Theory if you want to see where it came from and play a good, challenging stealth game. If you want sweet modern graphics and a more dynamic game, Blacklist. Never play Double Agent unless you can get the original Xbox version which is mechanically a sequel to Chaos Theory.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Acquire Currency! posted:

Can't believe that joke got made twice.

Oh wait I can

You mean made Once?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

What should the name of the new Windows be? It wouldn't be right to call it Windows 9. Windows One? But unfortunately, Windows 1 has been done. That new Windows is Windows 10.

That's from their media briefing

…where they never actually explained why 9 wouldn't be right.. :confused:
At least OS X made some sense since it took over after the (mercifully) short-lived System 9.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Re: FFXIII

http://pastebin.com/cvadiWCq

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
Windows 1: Zero is a prequel to the hit OS, Windows 1.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Unifying the topics of conversation: Don't some of the FF games after X have a female lead? Like X-2 and one other?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Darkrenown posted:

Unifying the topics of conversation: Don't some of the FF games after X have a female lead? Like X-2 and one other?

Final Fantasy 6 has a female lead too.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I guess in German, Windows 9 would be 'Windows, No!'

Budgie's Oni had a female character. Can't remember if it was sexist in any way. She looks like a Westerner doing a sexualised Anime girl, so...probably.

Urban Chaos had a black female protagonist. Again, can't remember anything other than that.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

That new Windows is Windows 10.

A windows for the common man, a windows that you could be proud to call home. A windows that stand beside you in the storm, beating back a tide of other, less superior operating systems. A windows YOU deserve.

Darkrenown posted:

X-2 technically had dance battles to gain new outfits, and might not be the angle that they're looking for. Lightning, a lady of the female persuasion, is the protagonist and moody bird of XIII and XIII-2.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 9, 2014

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Darkrenown posted:

FFXIII, XIII-2, and Lightning Returns all star female leads. I personally thought Lightning was a bit of a boring protagonist, but there you go.

Also most of the main city leaders in FFXIV are women, and one of them is a former pirate who wields a pair of muskets called Death Penalty and Annihilator.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Drunk Tomato posted:

Final Fantasy 6 has a female lead too.
6 actually has two. Terra for the first half, Celes for the second.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

What should the name of the new Windows be? It wouldn't be right to call it Windows 9. Windows One? But unfortunately, Windows 1 has been done. That new Windows is Windows 10.

That's from their media briefing

Windows 2015.

If anyone's still writing code that keys to Windows 20* because of Windows 2000 sever their Visual Studio licenses. It ain't gonna make the Store any better but you can pretty much just say that's why and placebo your way to looking slightly less garbage in the wasteland that is app stores today.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Lethemonster posted:

I'm trying to find ~10 or so games that have female main characters that don't aren't sexist. Best I've got so far are Tomb Raider (2013) and Mirror's Edge but I'm trying to find some with more writing in than Mirror's Edge. Maybe the new Alien: Isolation by the sounds of it.

Apart from those I cannot find anything so I was hoping some goons could swoop in and recommend me a few gems I won't have heard of. :(

Dragon Age 2's femHawke is a total badass and I'm pretty sure Isabella Varric calls her ugly at some point, so not sexualized (no boob armor either.)

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 9, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Lethemonster posted:

I had completely forgotten about Portal 1 + 2. GlaDOS was amazing. No can do on metroid - I need games with more talky and her most plot/scripted game was awful. I'm doing some spec pieces for game stories featuring female leads so looking for ones with active characterization in rather than just 'avatar is female'. Basically doing research on currently exists across the medium right now.

Definitely Trails in the Sky. Beyond Good and Evil probably also qualifies. Have The Longest Journey or Dreamfall been mentioned?

Baish
Jul 29, 2010

Tippis posted:

…where they never actually explained why 9 wouldn't be right.. :confused:
At least OS X made some sense since it took over after the (mercifully) short-lived System 9.

I can only assume it's because of Windows 95. It would be too similar of a title. Sure, It may seem stupid but I bet they ran into something like this in focus groups.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

A Pre-Alpha fix for FFXIII's resolution issues has been released.

This is just stretching the 720p image. The new fix actually changes the rendering resolution.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Baish posted:

I can only assume it's because of Windows 95. It would be too similar of a title. Sure, It may seem stupid but I bet they ran into something like this in focus groups.

Probably. I rather like the “Windows? NEIN!!” explanation above, but as an answer to why it “wouldn't be right”, it has to be something like that.

Of course, it's actually Windows NT 6.4, if I recall correctly, but I'm guessing that “Vista Mk IV” is right out from a marketing perspective. :D

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lethemonster posted:

I'm trying to find ~10 or so games that have female main characters that don't aren't sexist. Best I've got so far are Tomb Raider (2013) and Mirror's Edge but I'm trying to find some with more writing in than Mirror's Edge. Maybe the new Alien: Isolation by the sounds of it.

Apart from those I cannot find anything so I was hoping some goons could swoop in and recommend me a few gems I won't have heard of. :(

Hey, if you're still looking I don't think anyones mentioned The Cat Lady yet.
Also the Alice games, I've only played Alice: Madness Returns but maybe because she's a literary character first she's not as useful for your research.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'd say KotOR2 has the best female lead, female support, and female villain in gaming by far. Just don't talk about what Bioware did when they got their hands on the character.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dota 2 actually has some pretty cool female characters in it. Legion Commander is my favorite hero.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Rookersh posted:

I'd say KotOR2 has the best female lead, female support, and female villain in gaming by far. Just don't talk about what Bioware did when they got their hands on the character.

Female support? Mira? Or you mean Handmaiden?

Kreia was fantastic, but the protagonist doesn't really have a personality. It's like saying Gordon Freeman is the best videogame character because he has an iconic crowbar.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Cool. I have a good enough collection to work through now folks.

More suggestions are always good but I'm always worried that after asking anything about decent female characters in media, even just for suggestions, at some point a weird, violent argument sparks off.

Gonna sit and play as hundreds of pixel ladies then see if I can get some better writing out there. Thank you, hive mind.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Definitely Trails in the Sky. Beyond Good and Evil probably also qualifies. Have The Longest Journey or Dreamfall been mentioned?

I mentioned all of those :p

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

I guess in German, Windows 9 would be 'Windows, No!'

Budgie's Oni had a female character. Can't remember if it was sexist in any way. She looks like a Westerner doing a sexualised Anime girl, so...probably.

Urban Chaos had a black female protagonist. Again, can't remember anything other than that.
She was a police officer too that had to put up with getting Rookie bullshit from the rest of the lazy-arse cops.
http://lparchive.org/Urban-Chaos/

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

Female support? Mira? Or you mean Handmaiden?

Kreia was fantastic, but the protagonist doesn't really have a personality. It's like saying Gordon Freeman is the best videogame character because he has an iconic crowbar.

The Exile has a ton of personality and backstory, developed through interactions with crewmembers, as well as learning about her past. She left the Jedi Order to join the Republic Military before Revan gave his speeches, proved herself again and again to become a General in the Republic Army over the course of 10 full years worth of war ( Unlike Revan and Malak who just left the Order and were suddenly Generals because -Bioware- ), and finally gave the order to detonate a nuclear device in the middle of her own fleet to destroy the advance Mandalorian fleet, a planet full of Mandalorians, and most of her friends/subordinates.

Kreia, Bao Dur and Mical knew her before hand, and they help paint what her previous personality was as well.

Also what was originally asked was female main characters that aren't sexist. The Exile's personality in game may be dictated by players, but she sure as hell isn't presented as weak/negative female stereotypes until SWTOR, which was mainly Bioware killing her for LucasArts ( they basically confirmed as much on an AMA. ). She did more in her past/over the course of KotOR2 then most female characters have a chance of doing, and has been confirmed canon female multiple times, including prerelease.

As for support/villain, I'm thinking the same character for both.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

Rookersh posted:

Also what was originally asked was female main characters that aren't sexist. The Exile's personality in game may be dictated by players, but she sure as hell isn't presented as weak/negative female stereotypes until SWTOR, which was mainly Bioware killing her for LucasArts ( they basically confirmed as much on an AMA. ).

Wait, what?

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Lethemonster posted:

More suggestions are always good but I'm always worried that after asking anything about decent female characters in media, even just for suggestions, at some point a weird, violent argument sparks off.

LOL

Lethemonster posted:

I'm doing some spec pieces for game stories featuring female leads so looking for ones with active characterization in rather than just 'avatar is female'.

I know but she's also a silent (mostly) invisible protagonist so not much good. Whereas GlaDOS is evil and funny as hell without falling into the 'women-baddy must be sexy and seduce player' that most others do.

Edit: Thank you goons you have saved me from trawling through piles of lovely games with balloon-titty anime avatars masquerading as female lead games.

LOL

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Are you having a stroke?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

He's easily amused.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zombie Samurai posted:

Are you having a stroke?

Irony being, your post made me :lol:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

The Exile dies in an assault vs the Sith Emperor after getting betrayed (by Lucasarts who wanted the player character in SWTOR to defeat the Sith Emperor instead.)

She then becomes a Jedi ghost and kept Revan sane while the Emperor was torturing him for 300 years. And notifies the Republic of the space prison that Revan is in.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
gently caress, turned on Steam today and all prices are in CDN...now besides having to pay tax all the games are bumped up in price as well...first time seeing a price difference between US and CAN, even buying games at stores throughout the last 10 years prices were never more expensive here.

EDIT: Hmm, turns out only some games are re-priced while others remain the same. Still lovely.

Haeleus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 10, 2014

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Haeleus posted:

gently caress, turned on Steam today and all prices are in CDN...now besides having to pay tax all the games are bumped up in price as well...first time seeing a price difference between US and CAN, even buying games at stores throughout the last 10 years prices were never more expensive here.

EDIT: Hmm, turns out only some games are re-priced while others remain the same. Still lovely.

According to people earlier in this thread only a couple of games (albeit big titles) are more expensive. Some are even cheaper!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Haeleus posted:

Tax might be a regional thing if you're seeing it? On checkout at least I'm still seeing no tax being charged for me in British Columbia.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tezzeract posted:

Dragon Age 2's femHawke is a total badass and I'm pretty sure Isabella Varric calls her ugly at some point, so not sexualized (no boob armor either.)

You and I remember Dragon Age 2 very differently.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The Exile dies in a really stupid way all just to prop up Revan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

I know it's already been suggested, but I'll throw in another recommendation for Trails in the Sky, since the main character of that is probably one of my favourite main characters in any game.

Also, all this Alien chat is getting me pretty tempted. Might buy it come the winter sale, price permitting.

• Locked thread