Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Okay, for a dude coming in on this, which episodes from the first two seasons do I have to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Having Thea be the killer just seems like too hard a turn for that character. I know it's been five months since the last season ended, but you'd think we'd see some of her progression into villainy first before she starts pumping people full of arrows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Lord Bude posted:

Has anyone else noticed that ever since Arrow, it seems like every second show out there starts with a 'My name is...' voiceover from the main character? Flash is a spinnoff, so that's ok, but then Forever did it, and Scorpion, and it seems like a whole bunch of shows.

Burn notice was doing it for ages before.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Phuzzy posted:

Okay, for a dude coming in on this, which episodes from the first two seasons do I have to watch

...all of them?

Sorry for being glib, but while there are episodes that aren't as important to the overall story, every episode has bits of the main character's backstory and skipping those are going to leave you totally confused.

Nevhix
Nov 18, 2006

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Phuzzy posted:

Really all of them are very worthwhile and almost all of them contribute something to the ongoing stories and back stories.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

There were so many things in that episode that made me happy.

I'm coming for you irl >:|

Phuzzy posted:

This show owns from day one.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Phuzzy posted:

Alternatively if you don't have the time: http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/you-have-not-failed-this-city-catching-up-on-the-cws-fun-arrow

Season 2 is pretty much all mandatory.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Stayne Falls posted:

Just because it's a shocking sucker punch death doesn't mean it was poorly written. I think the only reason y'all are saying that is because there was 0 resolution afterward. We should probably reserve judgment till the next episode at least.

Getting shot three times while looking quizzical then falling into a dumpster sure was a good way to die!

Actually, no, it was a cheap moment to give everyone else character development.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It may be that she's got a new job or something, so they had to pull the trigger on it a lot faster and sooner than they would've liked.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

zoux posted:

It may be that she's got a new job or something, so they had to pull the trigger on it a lot faster and sooner than they would've liked.

It's Arrow. What she got was a death at the end of a normal TV show's equivalent of a 7-episode "Count Vertigo" arc.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Phylodox posted:

I'm not saying I want Ray and Felicity to get together, just providing an obviously superior portmanteau.

Besides, *Flash spoilers* the preview of upcoming Flash episodes showed Barry and Felicity making out, so that's a thing that is definitely going to happen.

From the upcoming episode titled, "Flashbang."

Nephthys posted:

How does the CEO of a company have enough power to literally rename a city? I don't care how multi-billion it is, isn't that something that only the mayor and the government can do?

I think you're supposed to assume this is a political campaign he wants to set in motion. I laughed, because I grew up outside Hartford, CT. And for a long time, their city development campaign was, "Hartford: New England's Rising Star!" And come on...no it isn't.

Thinking about it, you'd think after the first season, Starling City would be of way higher national interest. It's like post-Katrina New Orleans or post-economic-crisis Detroit, except because a domestic terrorist used an earthquake machine to mass-murder the poor.

David Simon would be filming an HBO series in Starling at this point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also Roy got real good real fast huh?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I really hope we can quickly get over Oliver deciding to be angsty for no reason and start treating his friends like people again.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
BTW (:iamafag:), I'm not quitting the show or anything over this. Arrow has built up way too much goodwill for that. I'm just disappointed. Especially since I spent the summer selling the show to friends and one of the main selling points was how well it treated its kickass ladies, letting them do their own thing and not taking the easy way out by killing them off even though practically everyone expected them to. I thought you were better than this, show. :colbert:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

zoux posted:

Also Roy got real good real fast huh?

He was already doing parkour stuff before he even met the Arrow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well Laurel is about to rise into a kickass lady and Felicity still exists.

I thought her "stop stringing me along you dickhead" speech was a pretty unusual direction for them to take as well as one that lends Felicity agency since she's not willing to pine by the phone for Oliver to get his poo poo together.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Kinda super glad Felicity was the one who would kill ollicity.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The arrows hit Sara just slow enough that I had time to think "Well that's a good way to have her miss a chunk of episodes this sea- Oh, okay"

Also the killer is in the drat next episode preview, stop acting like you're making a prediction.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The arrows hit Sara just slow enough that I had time to think "Well that's a good way to have her miss a chunk of episodes this sea- Oh, okay"

Also the killer is in the drat next episode preview, stop acting like you're making a prediction.

Yeah you can clearly see who it is here. (spoiler's obv)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

I kind of doubt they're going to wrap that mystery up in one episode, but this is Arrow. I'm pretty sure the villain next week is just a red herring.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool posted:

I kind of doubt they're going to wrap that mystery up in one episode, but this is Arrow. I'm pretty sure the villain next week is just a red herring.

I think most likely the person in the preview is the trigger(wo)man, but that someone else ordered it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that preview guy supposed to Komodo? And have we seen any shots of him before, or could it just be a rando LoA member?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

Is that preview guy supposed to Komodo? And have we seen any shots of him before, or could it just be a rando LoA member?

Yes and yes there was a promo shot released.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nephthys posted:

How does the CEO of a company have enough power to literally rename a city? I don't care how multi-billion it is, isn't that something that only the mayor and the government can do?

It's not a name change, it's an urban renewal initiative branded "Star City". With the hope that if the brand takes off, people will start calling the city Star City instead of Starling City.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hell it worked for Centralling City :shrug:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ugh. Sara's death was so crappy. I don't think there's a single aspect of it that wasn't atrociously-executed. I knew it was gonna happen eventually, and I even saw it coming in the episode. But once it actually happened I just couldn't stop rolling my eyes.

And I'm sure it's gonna lead to some great stories in the future, just like many other fridgings do, and be incredibly moving for the remaining characters, particularly Laurel. And just like many other fridgings we'll all go "Ah, see, it led to good stories so it's totes good! All is forgiven!" And on and on the fridge cycle goes.

Other downside of the episode: the Hong Kong flashback was silly from beginning to end, and not in a good silly way, more like in a "this is really dumb" silly way.

Upsides: Arrow continues to salvage lame unsalvagable DC characters, 'cuz Ray Palmer was brilliant. Well...he was pretty much Ray in name only and Ted Kord completely in spirit, so that explains a lot of it.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

BrianWilly posted:

Ugh. Sara's death was so crappy. I don't think there's a single aspect of it that wasn't atrociously-executed. I knew it was gonna happen eventually, and I even saw it coming in the episode. But once it actually happened I just couldn't stop rolling my eyes.

And I'm sure it's gonna lead to some great stories in the future, just like many other fridgings do, and be incredibly moving for the remaining characters, particularly Laurel. And just like many other fridgings we'll all go "Ah, see, it led to good stories so it's totes good! All is forgiven!" And on and on the fridge cycle goes.

Other downside of the episode: the Hong Kong flashback was silly from beginning to end, and not in a good silly way, more like in a "this is really dumb" silly way.

Upsides: Arrow continues to salvage lame unsalvagable DC characters, 'cuz Ray Palmer was brilliant. Well...he was pretty much Ray in name only and Ted Kord completely in spirit, so that explains a lot of it.

The term fridging as I understand it means a female character killed solely for the drama of a male character (usually a girlfriend of the hero). Moira and Shado both qualify for this but we can't count Sara yet because we have no idea why she was killed. It was just a stinger for a mystery at the end of the episode.

If she was killed because of her affiliation with the league of assassins then that isn't fridging, its what happens when you join a group of people who kill other people. If it was just a move to dick over Oliver then it was a fridging.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I liked the premier and I'm excited for Laurel to be Black Canary. Kate Cassidy is an awesome actress and she deserves so much more than they've given her. I think she's going to be awesome.

bobkatt013 posted:

You should watch Sarah Connors Terminator and see what they do with one of the main characters in that.

That death was awesome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

KilGrey posted:

I liked the premier and I'm excited for Laurel to be Black Canary. Kate Cassidy is an awesome actress and she deserves so much more than they've given her. I think she's going to be awesome.

Yes she is.

KilGrey posted:

That death was awesome.

Yes it was.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I bet this means that we're going to see a lot of Sarah in the flashback scenes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

eriktown posted:

I bet this means that we're going to see a lot of Sarah in the flashback scenes.

She'll probably show up from time to time, but Ollie thought she died on the island until she showed up in the city last season, remember? So she'll need to show up in other flashbacks (Amell has said that they're branching out and some episodes will have flashbacks follow the other characters, like Felicity)

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

KilGrey posted:

I don't get the Laurel hate that seems to come from everyone who watches this show. I find her a bit frustrating at times but that's how I'm supposed to think of her. She had a substance abuse problem last season, went through a lot of tough poo poo and made a ton of selfish decisions but now she's recovering and I'm willing to give her a second chance.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

MrFlibble posted:

The term fridging as I understand it means a female character killed solely for the drama of a male character (usually a girlfriend of the hero). Moira and Shado both qualify for this but we can't count Sara yet because we have no idea why she was killed. It was just a stinger for a mystery at the end of the episode.

If she was killed because of her affiliation with the league of assassins then that isn't fridging, its what happens when you join a group of people who kill other people. If it was just a move to dick over Oliver then it was a fridging.
I don't want to get too deeply into this because I'm sure I've already exceeded the upper limit of talking about this specific topic on this forum, but that's really only one part of fridging; it's really a mix of death, disempowerment, and gratuity. The original Women in Refrigerators website that Gail Simone started, for instance, didn't just list off girlfriend that got killed to make their boyfriends sad; it was a list of all female characters in comics that got somehow shuffled off the stage by way of death or disempowerment, as an examination of why there were so few active, powerful female superheroes that writers could write about, thereby examining the difference between how female characters were treated in those instances versus male characters in comparable situations.

We can see the trend playing out throughout Arrow itself. Of all the important main characters killed off through the series, we got Tommy and possibly Yao Fei on one end, and Shado, Moira, and now Sara on the other. Tommy and Yao Fei was were fridged, that's true, but Tommy in particular got fridged like a champ, performing self-sacrificing feats of heroism to save the woman he loves; the guy who was physically unimpressive, who never showed any particularly heroic attributes, goes out in a spectacular feat of masculinity, showing that even the weakest men are prone to great strength. Moira, Shado, and Sara got no grand virtuous finales; they got victimized and tied up and tossed off a building. Three of the deadliest women on the show, two of them stalwart heroes, are helpless to stop the bad guys from killing them, showing that even the strongest women (and Yao Fei, I suppose) are ultimately powerless when all is said and done.

It's a trend that pops up over and over again through media.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Amazing start to the Season.

But it was obviously Felicity that shot the Canary, so she would have no competition.

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
I haven't been following much since season two so Sara getting iced was a surprise for me. I actually thought when she first appeared in the episode "drat there are too many characters in the show at the moment", and then she died a few scenes later. Was quite the shock.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
No one remembers Sin? Clearly she's the killer - classic jealous rage; Sara never came around anymore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I don't want to get too deeply into this because I'm sure I've already exceeded the upper limit of talking about this specific topic on this forum, but that's really only one part of fridging; it's really a mix of death, disempowerment, and gratuity. The original Women in Refrigerators website that Gail Simone started, for instance, didn't just list off girlfriend that got killed to make their boyfriends sad; it was a list of all female characters in comics that got somehow shuffled off the stage by way of death or disempowerment, as an examination of why there were so few active, powerful female superheroes that writers could write about, thereby examining the difference between how female characters were treated in those instances versus male characters in comparable situations.

We can see the trend playing out throughout Arrow itself. Of all the important main characters killed off through the series, we got Tommy and possibly Yao Fei on one end, and Shado, Moira, and now Sara on the other. Tommy and Yao Fei was were fridged, that's true, but Tommy in particular got fridged like a champ, performing self-sacrificing feats of heroism to save the woman he loves; the guy who was physically unimpressive, who never showed any particularly heroic attributes, goes out in a spectacular feat of masculinity, showing that even the weakest men are prone to great strength. Moira, Shado, and Sara got no grand virtuous finales; they got victimized and tied up and tossed off a building. Three of the deadliest women on the show, two of them stalwart heroes, are helpless to stop the bad guys from killing them, showing that even the strongest women (and Yao Fei, I suppose) are ultimately powerless when all is said and done.

It's a trend that pops up over and over again through media.

Uh, Moira was a badass.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

^^Seriously. Moira went out far more heroically than Tommy, or Robert, or Yao Fe, etc.

MrFlibble posted:

Yeah, possibly. But I'd contend Shado is the only classically "fridged" character in your list. As I understand it, the term applies mostly to a woman who has no characterization outside of her male relationships; she serves *only* to motivate the (male) heroes because she has no inner life. It's not just that she died and other characters reacted to it, it's that she was designed to die and demonstrated no agency in the process.

Moira and Sara were both very well-defined characters, who demonstrated clear agency and had distinct arcs in their own right. They did die, and their deaths ultimately motivate other characters to do things, but I don't think anyone can say death was their primary purpose. (Particularly Moira...she went out like a boss, and it offered very real closure for her personal story: her conflict was always the friction between her cutthroat role in business and her drive to be a good mother, and she got to choose brave self-sacrifice as a final show of love for her children.)

Even if Sara was killed off just to motivate Ollie, it doesn't retroactively take away her nuances or render her character a non-agent. If anything, she was wine-coolered. And the person her death will motivate won't be Ollie...it'll be Laurel, so there's still a feminist case to be made for that wrinkle.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 9, 2014

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
This Sara death was the best one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - having a woman die in order to motivate a woman or a man doesn't really make her death more or less feminist.

I am mildly disappointed at the Arrow writers for not having Sara whisper up at laurel moments before her death "...it's *cough* just a flesh wound... *gasp splutter* *dies*"

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 9, 2014

• Locked thread