Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

agarjogger posted:

The girl I'm subletting a month from, just cashed my small-ish ($400) security deposit check. This seems like trouble, am I wrong? Her roommate, who negotiated the whole thing, said that check would not be cashed.

I just thought in situations where there's good feeling and good faith on both ends, the check is usually just returned at the end of the month when there is inevitably no damage to the lovely apartment or the person's belongings. Maybe it's different because they left the place well furnished, including a Wii?
Do you have the "we won't cash your security check" thing in writing?

I would definitely call and see what the gently caress is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Uh, why WOULDNT they cash your security check? Aren't they supposed to hold that money as a security deposit? What good would a potentially bad check do them in case of damage to the room?

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Uh, why WOULDNT they cash your security check? Aren't they supposed to hold that money as a security deposit? What good would a potentially bad check do them in case of damage to the room?

Makes sense to me. Not sure why she said she wouldn't then. Whatever, it's a really nice place and an awesome deal for me. Imma stfu.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Yeah as long as you have stuff in writing you should be ok. If you don't, go get some things in writing right now.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Isn't it supposed to be held in escrow?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

SeaWolf posted:

Sublet. Not a legit landlord.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Yeah as long as you have stuff in writing you should be ok. If you don't, go get some things in writing right now.

Hah, yeah. She was going to do completely verbal sublet agreement, no paper. Just out of laziness and whatever. And I'm like uh yeah that sounds great, but lets just print out a damned thing and take five minutes instead.
I'm good.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 8, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SeaWolf posted:

Depends on jurisdiction.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Question about money transfers to the US.

I'm moving to the US from Canada in the next couple years, and most likely my parents will help me with a down payment on a house.

I'm wondering if there's any complications if my mom deposits the money into the Canadian account, then I convert and wire it to my US account.

The amount is roughly 50k CAD. This is basically a loan though, I will repay it back eventually.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

lol internet. posted:

Question about money transfers to the US.

I'm moving to the US from Canada in the next couple years, and most likely my parents will help me with a down payment on a house.

I'm wondering if there's any complications if my mom deposits the money into the Canadian account, then I convert and wire it to my US account.

The amount is roughly 50k CAD. This is basically a loan though, I will repay it back eventually.

No idea on the transfer bit, but you should know that you can't use loaned money for a down payment.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
They call it the head shot. http://davidsimon.com/kwame-brown-another-federal-case-another-head-shot/

Don't get a house.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

What should I do about credit cards that I am unable to access my online accounts for, and have long since destroyed the physical cards? None of the online account reset features are working for me and I'm not sure if I should go through the trouble of calling in because I do not know what I should do with them anyway. I asked a similar question just the other day and know that it's fine to leave accounts open but do not know if that's a good idea considering I can't even access anything.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Teeter posted:

What should I do about credit cards that I am unable to access my online accounts for, and have long since destroyed the physical cards? None of the online account reset features are working for me and I'm not sure if I should go through the trouble of calling in because I do not know what I should do with them anyway. I asked a similar question just the other day and know that it's fine to leave accounts open but do not know if that's a good idea considering I can't even access anything.
No, its not a good idea to leave them open. Call them up and close the accounts. If someone gains access to your account you wouldn't even realize it until it's too late.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Agreed, it's one thing to leave an account open if you aren't using it (which I don't do, but some people make an argument for). It's another to leave an account floating around out there that you can't even access or monitor if needed. Make the effort to call them up and close them - or, if nothing else, get your access sorted out so that you can monitor them properly.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Thanks guys. I guess I was secretly hoping that accounts might close/expire automatically after enough years of total inactivity, or that maybe they already had which is why I've had no luck accessing them. I suppose it's time to start making some phone calls...

Teeter fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 9, 2014

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I have a great credit report even though I *GASP* closed my oldest credit card accounts when I got married. If I had been planning on purchasing a house or something I might not have done it at that time. I would rather keep the lines of credit I have open manageable and let the score sort itself out.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Teeter posted:

Thanks guys. I guess I was secretly hoping that accounts might close/expire automatically, or that maybe they already had which is why I've had no luck accessing them. I suppose it's time to start making some phone calls...

It's entirely possible those accounts are gone; I have had companies close accounts on their own volition after 2-3 years of complete inactivity. In those cases though, I got more than one physical notice warning me that it was going to happen and trying to get me to start using the card before they pulled the plug. In the case of BOA, I can actually still log in to the BOA site, it just shows that I have no accounts and there is nothing I can do.

But right now, you don't really know what the status is on the accounts. Maybe they closed them and you missed the memo. But maybe someone else has hijacked them and you can't log in because they have changed the account details (probably not). That's why you need to find out.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

canyoneer posted:

No idea on the transfer bit, but you should know that you can't use loaned money for a down payment.

Okay... since it's from a family member.. I'll just say they gave it to me as a gift? Still wondering if there are any complications with transferring it though.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 9, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

lol internet. posted:

Okay... since it's from a family member.. I'll just say they gave it to me as a gift? Still wondering if there are any complications with transferring it though.

This still requires a bunch of paper work. They actually only look back 3 months or so so if you have the money in the account for 6 plus months you shouldn't be asked any questions. No guarantees though.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Hi thread, just a couple quick questions. I recently left a job to move states and go back to school in spring, and I am thinking of cashing out my 401k to pay some looming bills. I didn't make much at my last job and was only able to contribute the minimum to get matching contributions from my employer, so my total is around $2200 while my vested sits just under $1800. Relatively insignificant in the scheme of things. My first question is, will my distribution only include the vested contributions? And is there a reliable resource where I can figure out just how much I'm going to lose in penalties by doing an early distribution?

Please also feel free to tell me this is a poor idea and I should look into rollovers because I am on the fence about cashing out!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

district 12 posted:

Please also feel free to tell me this is a poor idea and I should look into rollovers because I am on the fence about cashing out!

This is a spectacularly bad idea. You'll pay income tax plus 10% penalty for early withdrawal and then you'll have no retirement savings, and you will only get your vested contributions.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

So I ran across this thing: https://www.acorns.com/

Apparently an app that takes the change from various transactions you make and deposits into an investment fund. The concept seems like a novel way to save a few more bucks, but am I right in thinking those fees are too high to make it worth it?

$1 a month plus a yearly .5% on the first $5000 in the account and .25% for everything after that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

.Z. posted:

So I ran across this thing: https://www.acorns.com/

Apparently an app that takes the change from various transactions you make and deposits into an investment fund. The concept seems like a novel way to save a few more bucks, but am I right in thinking those fees are too high to make it worth it?

$1 a month plus a yearly .5% on the first $5000 in the account and .25% for everything after that.

Why not figure out your budget and just set up a weekly or monthly automatic deposit you can afford?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

eddiewalker posted:

Why not figure out your budget and just set up a weekly or monthly automatic deposit you can afford?

Cause I've already got that setup? I just thought the app could be a simple way to save a few more bucks without really putting much thought into it. Any further adjustments to my budget would be over a few bucks and not worth the effort vs setting something like the app up and not having to futz about. But again, those fees make me think it's probably not worth using it. I'd probably have better returns just splitting some funds out for depositing into a savings account lottery.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Or do a simple calculation of how much the spare change would be for a month (just, y'know, estimate "OKAY IT WAS ABOUT FIVE BUCKS") and increase your regular savings by that much.

Or don't do the calculation and just increase your savings per month by however much above budget you are normally.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'd say that falls firmly in the "expensive gimmick" category.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
$12 a year on what will almost certainly be no more than $200 worth of 'spare change' is a 6% expense ratio which is, what we would call in the forum, 'a loving rip-off'.

Bisty Q. fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 10, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Bank of America does that for free on their debit cards. They call it "keep the change" and it's stupid.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I like the idea because it has the potential to demystify investing for people that don't read BFC. A surprisingly high number of people refuse to invest in anything that's not a FDIC savings account and that's a shame.

That being said, those are not competitive fees and you or anyone else that's reading this should probably just use vanguard.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Bisty Q. posted:

$12 a year on what will almost certainly be no more than $200 worth of 'spare change' is a 6% expense ratio which is, what we would call in the forum, 'a loving rip-off'.

Not to mention the fact that each Acorns ETF has its own expense ratio tacked on as well. These range from .05-.20% which are good on their own, but on top of the other fees it's a little ugh.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
Hello Goons,

I recently sought out the advice over in the credit card thread to maximize my returns for everyday expenses and enjoyed reading up on the general advice of the thread. I quickly asked myself if maximizing credit cards to be the best for my situation was that easy, what else could I be doing better?

For the longest time my money has sat in the same PNC interest checking/statement savings account that I created when I was still in middle school…and I have a big feeling that it can probably be put to work elsewhere for a better opportunity/return. As it stands now, both of my accounts earn a staggering 0.01 interest. So as much as I don’t want to ask the thread “What should do?”... What should I do? (If this is better served as its own thread, let me know and I will take down this post from the thread).

Basic information:
I already contribute the max % to my 401(k), so I am looking out for my retirement (I am 27). 401(k) is doing well, I am sure I will revisit it later on to get the most out of that once I square away my banking accounts.

I have no outstanding debts or loans – The money I make goes towards living expenses and the rest goes into my checking account currently; nothing needs to be paid off.

I have zero knowledge of stock markets, investments, etc. While I have absolutely no doubt they are serious investment opportunities, I am not ready to do that this instant. I really just want to know if there is a better bank account I can place my money into to earn more than 0.01 interest. I will delve more into that realm once the basics are all set.

I have (at least for the moment, baring a major event/act of god) no HUGE expenses upcoming (No new car/house/repairs on the horizon).

I can move about $35,000 right now from my PNC checking account, while still having a comfortable amount in my checking for a rainy day/emergency fund. After all daily expenses/bills/spending money/etc, I put away on average $1750 a month into my bank.

Thank you Goons.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
i have (-$5,750) and I hope a hurricane destroys your unpaid-off car so you can come back with real financial questions.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

agarjogger posted:

i have (-$5,750) and I hope a hurricane destroys your unpaid-off car so you can come back with real financial questions.

Hmm, my car is 11 years old. If a hurricane destroyed it, I might actually get more for it than what I would have been able to sell it for...

*puts a tape in my cassette player (Extra option, of course), blasts some sweet tunes*

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
argghhh :shakesfist:

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The Rev posted:

Hello Goons,

I recently sought out the advice over in the credit card thread to maximize my returns for everyday expenses and enjoyed reading up on the general advice of the thread. I quickly asked myself if maximizing credit cards to be the best for my situation was that easy, what else could I be doing better?

For the longest time my money has sat in the same PNC interest checking/statement savings account that I created when I was still in middle school…and I have a big feeling that it can probably be put to work elsewhere for a better opportunity/return. As it stands now, both of my accounts earn a staggering 0.01 interest. So as much as I don’t want to ask the thread “What should do?”... What should I do? (If this is better served as its own thread, let me know and I will take down this post from the thread).

Basic information:
I already contribute the max % to my 401(k), so I am looking out for my retirement (I am 27). 401(k) is doing well, I am sure I will revisit it later on to get the most out of that once I square away my banking accounts.

I have no outstanding debts or loans – The money I make goes towards living expenses and the rest goes into my checking account currently; nothing needs to be paid off.

I have zero knowledge of stock markets, investments, etc. While I have absolutely no doubt they are serious investment opportunities, I am not ready to do that this instant. I really just want to know if there is a better bank account I can place my money into to earn more than 0.01 interest. I will delve more into that realm once the basics are all set.

I have (at least for the moment, baring a major event/act of god) no HUGE expenses upcoming (No new car/house/repairs on the horizon).

I can move about $35,000 right now from my PNC checking account, while still having a comfortable amount in my checking for a rainy day/emergency fund. After all daily expenses/bills/spending money/etc, I put away on average $1750 a month into my bank.

Thank you Goons.

Do you have an IRA as well? If not, I would move $5,500 of that $35,000 into a shiny new IRA before the end of the calendar year, and then move an additional $5,500 into the IRA on January 1st.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Go to the Long term investing megathread (linked in the OP) and use that as a starting point on what to do with the extra cash you have aside from your emergency fund! Even putting it in a higher yield online savings account won't be enough to counteract inflation, but over the long haul, index fund investing of that money instead will provide much better returns.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
For a relatively high interest rate checking/savings account Ally is a good bet.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

The Rev posted:

Hello Goons,

Basic information:

Thank you Goons.

When you say you're already contributing your max percentage on your 401(k), do you mean you're hitting the cap for it, or do you mean that you're maxing out your employer matching?

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

pig slut lisa posted:

Do you have an IRA as well? If not, I would move $5,500 of that $35,000 into a shiny new IRA before the end of the calendar year, and then move an additional $5,500 into the IRA on January 1st.

I do not have an IRA, that is a good point. I take it that it is still a very valid option to deposit money into even if I may not max it out? I would like some of my excess cash to go towards a property (house) purchase in my future, just not immediate future. Compound interest is a wonderful thing...

Thanatosian posted:

When you say you're already contributing your max percentage on your 401(k), do you mean you're hitting the cap for it, or do you mean that you're maxing out your employer matching?

My employer is a bit sketchy in this regard, They allow us to contribute up to 15% of our pay per year into the 401(k) (Managed by PNC); they do not match any contributions. I did briefly look into my 401(k) to ensure no hidden fees or charges. So no matching, but I am putting away as much as they allow me to.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Go to the Long term investing megathread (linked in the OP) and use that as a starting point on what to do with the extra cash you have aside from your emergency fund! Even putting it in a higher yield online savings account won't be enough to counteract inflation, but over the long haul, index fund investing of that money instead will provide much better returns.

Thanks for the advice. I purchased the Four Pillars of Investing used on Amazon for a whooping 1 cent today. Will give that a thorough read-through and then ask my questions in the LTI thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

The Rev posted:

I do not have an IRA, that is a good point. I take it that it is still a very valid option to deposit money into even if I may not max it out? I would like some of my excess cash to go towards a property (house) purchase in my future, just not immediate future. Compound interest is a wonderful thing...

Yeah the $5,500 is just a maximum. You're free to donate less if you like.