Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I believe you can but he will take up two slots for wearing a fatsuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Sulecrist posted:

Can I join an independent character with Terminator Armor to a unit that's taken a Drop Pod as a dedicated transport, and have him drop in that way? I need to get a list together in short order and I don't have my codex handy.

Absolutely. Dropping Lysander in to tank for some power armor bros is a thing. Not quite the same, but space wolves did that all the time with wolf guard in termi armor tanking for grey hunters using the reroll 1s banner.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I miss space marine drop pods and land raiders having 12 spots.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Naramyth posted:

Absolutely. Dropping Lysander in to tank for some power armor bros is a thing. Not quite the same, but space wolves did that all the time with wolf guard in termi armor tanking for grey hunters using the reroll 1s banner.
Back when drop pods had room for 12, I'd drop Lysander and 10 Sternguard and they'd just eviscerate whatever unit I pointed them at. I ended games on the first turn with that unit. It was awesome.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Cool, I couldn't remember if there was a Terminator Armor rule that they couldn't go into anything smaller than Land Raiders, or if that was just fluff.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sulecrist posted:

Cool, I couldn't remember if there was a Terminator Armor rule that they couldn't go into anything smaller than Land Raiders, or if that was just fluff.
They just specifically can't go in Rhinos/Razorbacks, and Land Speeder Storms can't carry anything but scouts. Drop pods are fine.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

thegodofchuck posted:

So, I didn't buy Codex: Militarum Tempestus when it first came out, and just now got a copy. It has Datasheets, like a 7th edition codex, including two formation datasheets, and it talks about factions just like a 7th edition codex. Did they do a stealth edit when they reprinted it, or was that the way it originally came out?

It was this way from the beginning. MT was the first codex to come with formations in it, although after printing it they went several more before actually using that idea again. The "unique" factions (like MT, Knights, etc) all had to list their own alliance charts, even during 6E, because there wasn't a place for them on the old-style one.

panascope posted:

I miss space marine drop pods and land raiders having 12 spots.

You know, the good Land Raiders still have twelve (or more) spaces in them, just sayin'.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

SRM posted:

Back when drop pods had room for 12, I'd drop Lysander and 10 Sternguard and they'd just eviscerate whatever unit I pointed them at. I ended games on the first turn with that unit. It was awesome.

Does he still have bolter drill? If so this is still a totally viable option

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Lord Twisted posted:

Does he still have bolter drill? If so this is still a totally viable option

He does, but an important thing to remember is that the Sternguard don't get to use it if they shoot special issue ammunition.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
stumbled over this while perusing ebay: and that's quite the baller way to assemble a chimera. I think i'll try buying a new chimera, to see how this can be achieved.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It looks like a 40k leichttraktor.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd give it a slightly bigger turret but otherwise it looks pretty good.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Post 9-11 User posted:

Before there were Death Korps models, Steel Legion had an alternate color scheme called Death Korps Of Krieg. All the soldiers had skulls painted on their mask/goggles, looked pretty baller. I couldn't find any pictures from the article, but it was a bit like this:

Going back a bit but what is this model?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Going back a bit but what is this model?

That's a Death Korps of Krieg grenadier.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Cooked Auto posted:

I'd give it a slightly bigger turret but otherwise it looks pretty good.

I found the source of these conversions http://theback40k.blogspot.dk/2010/04/converting-set-back-chimeras-part-i.html

also if you put the forgeworld autocannon turret on it, i think it'd look perfect! i already have that on 3 of my chimeras, because gently caress that dinky turret they come with.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Frobbe posted:

I found the source of these conversions http://theback40k.blogspot.dk/2010/04/converting-set-back-chimeras-part-i.html

also if you put the forgeworld autocannon turret on it, i think it'd look perfect! i already have that on 3 of my chimeras, because gently caress that dinky turret they come with.

Yeah probably. Otherwise the Chimera turret looks a bit small if it's mounted so far back. Those could work rather well as a Salamander alternative as well.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So twenty solar auxilia models is...110 dollars. Ouch.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. They went from "Hey, a set of those guys would be pretty cool to use in a regular guard army" to "Hahaha, oh god no."

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Squifferific posted:

Yeah, I noticed that too. They went from "Hey, a set of those guys would be pretty cool to use in a regular guard army" to "Hahaha, oh god no."

I guess the book will reveal if they're useful or not (whenever it is that comes out), but they're definitely very good-looking models, and the other stuff we've seen looks good too. That's shaping up to be a very expensive, slippery slope, however.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I guess the book will reveal if they're useful or not (whenever it is that comes out), but they're definitely very good-looking models, and the other stuff we've seen looks good too. That's shaping up to be a very expensive, slippery slope, however.

To be fair, this entire hobby is a series of expensive, slippery slopes.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

PantsOptional posted:

He does, but an important thing to remember is that the Sternguard don't get to use it if they shoot special issue ammunition.

Ah, sod that then.

I have to say the best thing about forging the narrative is using stuff you wouldn't otherwise use. In an upcoming game I'm planning on using 5 LC terminators and a chaplain, wouldn't ever bother in a 'normal' match up. 20 attacks on the charge rerolling hits and wounds whatupppppp

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
That Chimera with the far back turret would look pretty awesome if they took it a step further and converted it to a Chimedon. (Which is pretty easy, especially if you have a spare LR turret from building a Destroyer. Just cut off the Leman Russ turret attachment prongs, and glue the bottom of the Chimera turret to the bottom of the LR turret)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Lord Twisted posted:

I have to say the best thing about forging the narrative is using stuff you wouldn't otherwise use. In an upcoming game I'm planning on using 5 LC terminators and a chaplain, wouldn't ever bother in a 'normal' match up. 20 attacks on the charge rerolling hits and wounds whatupppppp

Stick an Inquisitor in the squad with that relic book that gives'em scout, stick'em in a land raider, and choo-choo up in your opponent's face like :whatup:

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Got Space Hulk a few weeks back, working on painting one of the models. Never done a Blood Angel before, and I learned that red is annoying. So, work in progress here.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Cythereal posted:

According to what FW has said, the 30k Thousand Sons have been very difficult to balance because in the Horus Heresy books they simply don't fight like any other legion and FW wants to be true to that portrayal.

Just confirmed that this is NOT the case. I have it on good authority that they [Thousand Sons] are unusual and will need clearly some swanky rules but other than some basic notes and a treatment background wise the truth is FW hasn't actually got there yet.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ghost Hand posted:

Just confirmed that this is NOT the case. I have it on good authority that they [Thousand Sons] are unusual and will need clearly some swanky rules but other than some basic notes and a treatment background wise the truth is FW hasn't actually got there yet.

Do you know when the book containing the Solar Auxilia will be coming out? That's the major 30k release I was looking forward to, and it's going to suck waiting for the rules after the models are released.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Ghost Hand posted:

Hey Ghost Hand, thought youd be interested to know that Game Kastle Fremont might be starting up an escalation league soon. I know you have a fairly large gaming group so let them know to bug the guys at Gk Fremont about it and it'd probably help drum up interest in the 40k community in that area.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sisko I'm throwing dice down again this weekend.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Lord Twisted posted:

Ah, sod that then.

While this is true, and one of my favorite parts of forging the narrative, it isn't the best. The best part of forging the narrative is relentless, horrible, in-character poo poo talking.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Eh... it's really not that unreasonable by GW/FW standards, is it? 20 tactical marines is 80 dollars MSRP. Whether these prices are reasonable in an absolute sense is another question they're not but if you're in on the non-communist, non-ebay channels of warhammer already, it's not that much of an upgrade cost, right?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

JerryLee posted:

Eh... it's really not that unreasonable by GW/FW standards, is it? 20 tactical marines is 80 dollars MSRP. Whether these prices are reasonable in an absolute sense is another question they're not but if you're in on the non-communist, non-ebay channels of warhammer already, it's not that much of an upgrade cost, right?

The issue isn't really the price point, but how many times you're going to have to spend that 110 dollars, you know? If these suckers top out at a 9 ppm, it'll add up fast. Of course there's going to be more that will fill in the range but spending 220 dollars to run 40 Guardsmen equivalents or whathaveyou is rough.

edit: I will, of course, end up pre-ordering them, but paying 5 dollars something for what will be like a BS3 model with a 5+ and maybe a rapid-fire las rifle is a kick to the gut.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
so I might be playing again soon

I have two FW vanquisher turrets intending to run them as IA:1 armored company command tank and commissar tank respectively with beast hunter shells (s8 ap2 3" blast instant death or s8 ap2 armorbane) and co-axial heavy stubber (roll first, if you hit, joined weapon is twin-linked), with an AF squad with autocannon in an autocannon chimera.

Pricey (190-210 depending on whether you toss on hb sponsons) but worth it as allies to space marines? All said it's 540 points, I think.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

LingcodKilla posted:

Sisko I'm throwing dice down again this weekend.

Sweet. If I'm not doing training for my new job this weekend Ill most definitely come.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
Why not run the second tank as a regular Russ squad in your troops slot? Saves you a chunk of points on those Guardsmans that aren't really doing a lot for you.

Also I would try and get some sponsons onto the Command Tank, but that's because I love sponsons.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The issue isn't really the price point, but how many times you're going to have to spend that 110 dollars, you know? If these suckers top out at a 9 ppm, it'll add up fast. Of course there's going to be more that will fill in the range but spending 220 dollars to run 40 Guardsmen equivalents or whathaveyou is rough.

edit: I will, of course, end up pre-ordering them, but paying 5 dollars something for what will be like a BS3 model with a 5+ and maybe a rapid-fire las rifle is a kick to the gut.

Fair enough, I don't play or collect Guard so my price barometer is a little mis-calibrated there.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AbusePuppy posted:

Why not run the second tank as a regular Russ squad in your troops slot? Saves you a chunk of points on those Guardsmans that aren't really doing a lot for you.

Also I would try and get some sponsons onto the Command Tank, but that's because I love sponsons.

because only command and commissar vanquishers can take beast hunter shells.

the other option was an eradicator in troops to deal with poo poo like pathfinders or whatnot

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Lord Twisted posted:

Ah, sod that then.

Yeah I'm loving narrative gaming. This weekend I'm doing part three of a three-part campaign arc, where the three battles represent fights going on simultaneously as my Space Marines and my friend's Tau both try to seize ground in a neutral hive at the same time. I'm not having any models show up in multiple game unless they're troops or flyers. The winner of this arc gets to pick mission and deployment in a really big (for us) setpiece game next month that will kick off a new campaign arc by pitting all of these three battles' survivors against each other to determine the fate of the hive. We might also stick a Kill Team game in right before that, give someone a chance to gently caress with objectives or something.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

because only command and commissar vanquishers can take beast hunter shells.

the other option was an eradicator in troops to deal with poo poo like pathfinders or whatnot

The Commissariat Vanquisher also has a neat effect that gives everybody around it Ld 10, which is never a bad thing. Not to mention all the other options they can take, like Artificer Hulls that give them +1 HP. My favored loadout is to give them Beast-Hunter Shells, Hull-Mounted Lascannons, Co-Axial and top-mounted Heavy Stubbers, Plasma Sponsons, Camo Netting, and Artificer Hulls if I can afford it. Very expensive, but overall the upgrades give it the ability to deal with anything on the table, and if you hide it behind a ruin or a defense line it becomes exceptionally survivable. Extra Leman Russes in the troop slot are always nice as well, but they do come with the downside of being a fair amount more expensive than regular Russes from C:AM, save for the Battle Tank and Demolisher. Either way, I say keep the Commissariat Vanquisher for sure.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Played a game tonight against Tyranids, first time fighting the new codex. It was a really fun game, and for the most part I was playing it really well. The Leman Russ Exterminator is such a beast; it never gets much attention diverted to it since it's just shooting heavy bolters and autocannons, but it's shooting a LOT of heavy bolters and autocannons. I did a pretty good job shooting the big bugs and letting the Thunderfire erase entire swathes of Gaunts; I had it wipe out two mobs of 10 in one round of shooting. I even got a pretty clutch Psychic Shriek off with my Librarian and fried my opponent's Exocrine. It all came down to a tie in the 6th turn, as my opponent managed to get just enough movement and damage to take one objective and clear my scouts off another. I kind of wish there was a victor since a tie after a hard fought three hours feels so anticlimactic, and if it went one more round I would've cleaned it up. I only have one picture from it:

You hold the line, brother Heavybolterman :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Do you know when the book containing the Solar Auxilia will be coming out? That's the major 30k release I was looking forward to, and it's going to suck waiting for the rules after the models are released.

Very soon - I THINK it might be available this weekend at the Warhammer event they are running. I'm not 100% positive about that though. Either way it is very soon.

• Locked thread