Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
He's getting SEX, the Model III (not 3) logo is sideways, like an E without the vertical bar.

Im thinking it'll be a faux new roadster. AWD Model S with larger battery and a bit more sporty but who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Elon said today that a Tesla model next year will be capable of auto-driving 90% of it's miles.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/02/elon-musk-self-driving-tesla

quote:

Musk's let it be known that a Tesla car next year "will probably be 90 percent capable of autopilot," though he didn't dive into any specifics about which model(s) this comment was in reference to. "You know, so 90 percent of your miles could be on auto. For sure highway travel," the Tesla boss added.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

As expected, the D was for dual-motor. Less expectedly, it'll be offered as an option for all levels: there'll be a 60D and 85D in addition to P85D.

691 horsepower, 3.2sec 0-60

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Also, new autonomous systems are being offered. It, apparently, could go fully autonomous if Tesla had also invested in a couple more safety redundancies but they've got to save that for the eventual Model A.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That might be the sexiest thing I've ever seen.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
I went to the Tesla store on my last visit to Vancouver and I absolutely fell in love with the Model S. I could make it work financially in Canada, but the one thing holding me back is at least once a year at home I take a trip far north to visit inlaws, (about 1200km north of the furthest supercharging station) and it would burn me to have to rent a car to handle that trip if I dropped near six figures on a single car. It would be different if it was Leaf money, but the Leaf is too small for the family. The S would be totally suitable for every other use case I have though, and electricity is cheaper in BC than it is anywhere.

All the Canada talk is speculative, though, since I'm living in Europe for now. The Tesla salesman in Vancouver was remarkably educated on the presence of their company in Europe, and was able to point me at the locations they have in Germany. Also, within two years their supercharger network will make it possible to drive from Norway to Istanbul all electric. Unfortunately car prices in Europe mean that it's roughly the same in Euros as it would be in Canadian dollars, which means I can only afford it if I choose to live in a tent.

I did consider it briefly.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
As much as I love Tesla and their cars (I have never seen anyone take the electric vehicle as seriously as them, and goddamn I am so happy for them re-opening NUMMI and bringing back 4,000 jobs) this "Autopilot" stuff scares the everliving poo poo out of me, especially in the sue-happy USA. I mean, we had someone successfully sue an energy drink manufacturer because they stated there was no scientific evidence that proved that the advertised boost in energy were true (this was completely based on an advertising slogan of "It gives you wings") and I feel like the current social climate in the US is too damned immature to deal with this stuff yet. There is this horrible feeling inside of me right now that someone is going to put their Model S85D on a highway or back road, purposely fall asleep, and when another jackass on the road starts doing crap like merging without looking/driving into the wrong lane/botching a turn/etc. you're going to have the lawsuit of a century bleeding out Tesla for every penny they have, even though the car is not supposed to be truly driver-less.

Call it "Intelligent Driver Assist" or "Smart Cruise Control" but for the love of God don't call it loving "Autopilot". I'd hate to see one of the most innovative car manufacturers of the last century go under due to some sue-happy dumb-rear end that intentionally pushes the technology beyond its limit.

EgonSpengler posted:

I went to the Tesla store on my last visit to Vancouver and I absolutely fell in love with the Model S. I could make it work financially in Canada, but the one thing holding me back is at least once a year at home I take a trip far north to visit inlaws, (about 1200km north of the furthest supercharging station) and it would burn me to have to rent a car to handle that trip if I dropped near six figures on a single car. It would be different if it was Leaf money, but the Leaf is too small for the family. The S would be totally suitable for every other use case I have though, and electricity is cheaper in BC than it is anywhere.

I'm also currently in Germany and the norm between my social circle is to rent automobiles whenever you make a longer trip, principally to save wear and tear on your own car. :confused: Maybe I'm hanging out with a lot of people that don't have much faith in their cars, but when you consider the low cost of a car rental for a once-a-year trip it's honestly not such a big deal. I don't know your commute, but I'd be willing to guess your fuel savings would offset the cost of the rental regardless and you'd still come out ahead. Personally, I don't see renting as a problem, as you're on the bleeding edge of a new technology and there's a logical excuse as to why there aren't supercharging stations up there. If it was 2075, the world has converted to 95% electric and you paid six figures (probably 7 at that time) for a car that can't make the trip, sure. I can see the shame factor. However, it's still a new technology, and goddamnit, you're driving an electric car. How cool is that?

If you buy the car in Germany please take me for a ride thanks in advance

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ripoff posted:

As much as I love Tesla and their cars (I have never seen anyone take the electric vehicle as seriously as them, and goddamn I am so happy for them re-opening NUMMI and bringing back 4,000 jobs) this "Autopilot" stuff scares the everliving poo poo out of me, especially in the sue-happy USA. I mean, we had someone successfully sue an energy drink manufacturer because they stated there was no scientific evidence that proved that the advertised boost in energy were true (this was completely based on an advertising slogan of "It gives you wings") and I feel like the current social climate in the US is too damned immature to deal with this stuff yet. There is this horrible feeling inside of me right now that someone is going to put their Model S85D on a highway or back road, purposely fall asleep, and when another jackass on the road starts doing crap like merging without looking/driving into the wrong lane/botching a turn/etc. you're going to have the lawsuit of a century bleeding out Tesla for every penny they have, even though the car is not supposed to be truly driver-less.

Call it "Intelligent Driver Assist" or "Smart Cruise Control" but for the love of God don't call it loving "Autopilot". I'd hate to see one of the most innovative car manufacturers of the last century go under due to some sue-happy dumb-rear end that intentionally pushes the technology beyond its limit.

Regardless, you are going to have to get over the feelings. We're 3-5 years out from widespread semi-autonomous vehicles. Humans are being phased out of the equation. Within a 20 years, the only time you'll be taking control is on side roads or weather so bad as to disable the sensors.

The way around the liability for the car manufacturers is to simply build into the systems ways to ensure the driver is interacting with the car (such as sensing hands are on the wheel.)

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

EgonSpengler posted:

All the Canada talk is speculative, though, since I'm living in Europe for now. The Tesla salesman in Vancouver was remarkably educated on the presence of their company in Europe, and was able to point me at the locations they have in Germany. Also, within two years their supercharger network will make it possible to drive from Norway to Istanbul all electric. Unfortunately car prices in Europe mean that it's roughly the same in Euros as it would be in Canadian dollars, which means I can only afford it if I choose to live in a tent.

I did consider it briefly.

With the money you save on gasoline, especially with cheap electricity, it should be able to pay for that rental car trip, no?

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Thwomp posted:

Also, new autonomous systems are being offered. It, apparently, could go fully autonomous if Tesla had also invested in a couple more safety redundancies but they've got to save that for the eventual Model A.

Two things:

1) the law is not yet pro automation. Tesla still has a lot to lose so fully automating things right now would not win them anything except more legal debate.

2) as an S85 owner, I got my car just before they started shipping all those sensors. I don't want them, to be honest: they're ugly and basically electronic nanny crap. I'll be unhappy when it's time to replace this thing and getting that junk is my only option. I bought my car to drive not be chauffeured around.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

windex posted:

Two things:

1) the law is not yet pro automation. Tesla still has a lot to lose so fully automating things right now would not win them anything except more legal debate.

2) as an S85 owner, I got my car just before they started shipping all those sensors. I don't want them, to be honest: they're ugly and basically electronic nanny crap. I'll be unhappy when it's time to replace this thing and getting that junk is my only option. I bought my car to drive not be chauffeured around.

Well, if we're looking into the future, here's a couple of notices to you.

1) The law will increasing become pro-automation as the technology matures. Especially as the public is exposed more to mild automation like accident-avoidance/early-braking systems. You'll see even more demand for pro-auotmation if...

2) The insurance companies see significant cost savings in automation. Reduced accidents, accident severity, and payouts will be huge motivators for the whole industry. There's not enough data yet to show cost savings but you bet the insurance companies are desperate for more information to bring the lower-cost future here in a hurry.

And when that day comes, you'll have your manual driving mode and your higher insurance rates for it too.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Auto driving cars will lower the rates for everyone, but I suspect your insurer will want a tattle box in your car eventually.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
So I have a minivan that carries 7 people, and I hate the poor gas mileage (16/23). It looks like the tesla is the closest replacement with the two seats in back for kids, but that's a pretty hefty price and I expect the model X to cost even more. My van is paid off in a year and I have an extended warranty that literally never expires, but I spend around $200 a month for gas. I'm stuck with this aren't I. :(

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

OldPueblo posted:

So I have a minivan that carries 7 people, and I hate the poor gas mileage (16/23). It looks like the tesla is the closest replacement with the two seats in back for kids, but that's a pretty hefty price and I expect the model X to cost even more. My van is paid off in a year and I have an extended warranty that literally never expires, but I spend around $200 a month for gas. I'm stuck with this aren't I. :(

You won't find a 7 passenger vehicle with gas mileage better enough to make changing vehicles worth it. If you start driving significantly more in the future, it might be worth looking if a used Mazda 5 would work for your needs, but its less spacious and probably less safe than your minivan.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

OldPueblo posted:

You're pretty much limited to hybrids at the moment. The big Prius, Lexus RX***h, probably some Toyota brand SUV, and maybe a couple of Hondas for the time being.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Linedance posted:

You're pretty much limited to hybrids at the moment. The big Prius, Lexus RX***h, probably some Toyota brand SUV, and maybe a couple of Hondas for the time being.

Isn't the big Prius only 5 passenger? I would have brought it up, but the 7 passenger one isn't sold in the US.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I'd imagine that the best you could do without going over $50k is probably a Highlander or Pathfinder hybrid, maybe consider throwing two of your kids in the trunk of some smaller hybrid/electric car.

Speaking of old hybrids, has any manufacturer of electric cars or hybrids tried putting a solar panel on the roof to try and get more out of the battery like these people? I don't know a whole lot about solar power but it seems like a neat idea.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Is there a single hybrid SUV where fuel savings recoup the extra cost in less than 100,000 miles?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

razorscooter posted:

I'd imagine that the best you could do without going over $50k is probably a Highlander or Pathfinder hybrid, maybe consider throwing two of your kids in the trunk of some smaller hybrid/electric car.

Speaking of old hybrids, has any manufacturer of electric cars or hybrids tried putting a solar panel on the roof to try and get more out of the battery like these people? I don't know a whole lot about solar power but it seems like a neat idea.

The Prius has a solar roof which can be used to keep a fan running when parked in sunlight during a hot day.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

freelop posted:

The Prius has a solar roof which can be used to keep a fan running when parked in sunlight during a hot day.

The Model S has a massive battery that can be used from your smartphone to turn on the heat or A/C anytime and - get this - you can power the ENTIRE CAR off your home pv array.

(This is why hybrids don't make sense. :))

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Solar panels on a car don't make sense.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

windex posted:

(This is why hybrids don't make sense. :))

So hybrids don't make sense because for 5 times the price, plus the cost of home electricity generation, (another 100k?) you can have a car that doesn't use the $100 in gas a month that a prius does? Also you can refuel a prius anywhere there is a gas station if you wanted too drive into bum f USA.

This is fiscally irresponsible and doesn't consider depreciation at all of either asset. Yes I know teslas are magical and will never require maintenance, but still. Also most households have a hard time choking down the cost of a tesla.

Anyway hybrids make more sense then $100k electric cars.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Twerk from Home posted:

You won't find a 7 passenger vehicle with gas mileage better enough to make changing vehicles worth it. If you start driving significantly more in the future, it might be worth looking if a used Mazda 5 would work for your needs, but its less spacious and probably less safe than your minivan.

Also the new Ford Transit Connect is EPA rated at 22/25/30.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

smackfu posted:

The one on my Leaf is supposedly a last resort to make sure neither battery goes dead.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I can't imagine a solar panel is going to make a dent in the high voltage battery, given the limited amount of real estate on a roof.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ijustam posted:

I can't imagine a solar panel is going to make a dent in the high voltage battery, given the limited amount of real estate on a roof.

It's not, but every little bit helps. That said, being from South Florida I'd love to have one to run a circ fan when the car is parked, to keep the interior temps under a thousand degrees Celsius.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

duz posted:

The one on my Leaf is supposedly a last resort to make sure neither battery goes dead.

The one on the Leaf just charges the 12V systems battery, it can't charge the main battery.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

smackfu posted:

:colbert:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I suddenly wish that would show up on gran turismo as one of their "weird cars" like the damiler patent car, or the Citroen 2CV.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

duz posted:

I will vouch that the Leaf will let the 12v battery die without kicking on the inverter if you don't 'start' the car for about a week. None of the system settings are saved to non-volatile memory :(

On a brighter note, at a year and a week into the Leaf, I crossed 17,000 miles today.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

So hybrids don't make sense because for 5 times the price, plus the cost of home electricity generation, (another 100k?) you can have a car that doesn't use the $100 in gas a month that a prius does? Also you can refuel a prius anywhere there is a gas station if you wanted too drive into bum f USA.

This is fiscally irresponsible and doesn't consider depreciation at all of either asset. Yes I know teslas are magical and will never require maintenance, but still. Also most households have a hard time choking down the cost of a tesla.

Anyway hybrids make more sense then $100k electric cars.

If you want to be angry about a perceived lack of EV charging locations, the price of EVs, etc.. Tesla/Tesla owners are not really the place to direct it. The guys building the hybrids, though, are. And the people building the Prius have decided complete duplication of everything from pumping systems to transportation logistics for a fuel not much more clean or efficient than gasoline is a good idea. Not exactly geniuses, except that if their stupid idea comes to fruition they'll have avoided a small investment in battery tech by getting John Q Public to waste billions on rolling out infrastructure for them.

Now if you have money laying around, the Tesla and the solar array are absolutely a good idea. Even better, move to a state where most/all of the power generation is green (e.g. WA) and skip the solar array because charging your car off wind or hydro is pretty much just as good. If your state doesn't do that, chat with your local government until they do.

Tesla will get around to the average household sooner or later, but for now, they gotta do what they gotta do. They're doing it well.

None of this makes hybrids make sense, except maybe short term fiscally, but you know, dumping nuclear waste into rivers and streams would be a much cheaper disposal method and we don't do that for some reason...

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Advent Horizon posted:

I will vouch that the Leaf will let the 12v battery die without kicking on the inverter if you don't 'start' the car for about a week. None of the system settings are saved to non-volatile memory :(

On a brighter note, at a year and a week into the Leaf, I crossed 17,000 miles today.

Yeah, I didn't want to test it and find out if it actually prevented anything or not.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Well, I also don't have the solar panel and it was parked in my garage (unplugged, as the manual suggests). I live in a cell hole and Carwings was probably what did it in. We bought a 12v trickle charger to keep that from happening again when we go on vacations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

windex posted:

If you want to be angry about a perceived lack of EV charging locations, the price of EVs, etc.. Tesla/Tesla owners are not really the place to direct it. The guys building the hybrids, though, are. And the people building the Prius have decided complete duplication of everything from pumping systems to transportation logistics for a fuel not much more clean or efficient than gasoline is a good idea. Not exactly geniuses, except that if their stupid idea comes to fruition they'll have avoided a small investment in battery tech by getting John Q Public to waste billions on rolling out infrastructure for them.

Now if you have money laying around, the Tesla and the solar array are absolutely a good idea. Even better, move to a state where most/all of the power generation is green (e.g. WA) and skip the solar array because charging your car off wind or hydro is pretty much just as good. If your state doesn't do that, chat with your local government until they do.

Tesla will get around to the average household sooner or later, but for now, they gotta do what they gotta do. They're doing it well.

None of this makes hybrids make sense, except maybe short term fiscally, but you know, dumping nuclear waste into rivers and streams would be a much cheaper disposal method and we don't do that for some reason...

You seem to be the only one who's getting angry about anything. Teslas are great, but they are primarily vehicles for wealthy (sub)urbanites. You can pick up a decent low mileage 2nd gen Prius for around $12k where I live, and although you have to still have to rely on a gas engine, you get all the efficiency benefits of the traction motor for heavy traffic/urban driving. I'm seeing used Leafs around the $20k mark, which is doable, but going full electric means I can only charge at work, which is very limiting. As for moving, never mind states or countries, even just to the burbs so I can have a house and garage that I can charge at... the whole idea of basing your entire life and lifestyle around your preferred mode of personal powered transportation just seems ludicrous to me, sorry.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Speaking of the outback solar car challenge:

quote:

Australian engineering students have set a new world record for the fastest electric vehicle over a distance of 500 kilometres.

With a speed of 106.966 kilometres an hour, a solar car known as eVe is now officially the fastest electric vehicle over a distance of 500 kilometres in the world - and it was built entirely by undergraduate engineering students from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) in Australia.

The previous record was 73 kilometres an hour, and it stood for 26 years before Sunswift smashed it in July. The Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile, the world motorsport’s governing body, has now updated its official records.

500Km, same range as a Tesla P85+ Model S, doubt it'd be able to stay at speed for that distance though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It averaged over 60 mph, which ain't bad. Weather permitting, I guess.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drunkill posted:

Speaking of the outback solar car challenge:

500Km, same range as a Tesla P85+ Model S, doubt it'd be able to stay at speed for that distance though.

The range quoted for most electric cars is at a steady 65mph, or if they're really scummy 45mph. The energy gained from regeneration is nowhere near the energy required to get moving.

That's amazing for a solar car that almost looks likea car rather than a sheet of cardboard with wheels.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It would be interesting to know how much it weighs.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
http://sunswift.com/eve.html
Some car stats:
Seats 2, 800km range, 140 km/h top speed.

News article and videos on it:
http://abc.net.au/news/2014-10-15/record-breaking-students-drive-solar-innovation/5816508

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

OldPueblo posted:

While not exactly cheap, but still less than the Tesla, the RAV 4 EV is a thing. Buy one in like, December and you won't have to wait forever for the tax credits probably?

• Locked thread