Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hellsau posted:

I wasn't sure what kind of finisher I wanted. Probably going to go down to 14 islands, add a cantrip and a Mind Sculpt as the finisher. Didn't want to put effort into it if it wasn't going to be playable tomorrow.

I'd say Capsize is best. It can help you while you're still somewhat early in the combo, after a few High Tides it can go infinite with Cloud of Faeries, and you can bounce all your opponent's permanents and then bounce their first land each time they play it. Just remember not to wind up with too few cards in your library after comboing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Hellsau posted:

So this is a legal pauper deck on MTGO right now. Good times.

What should happen: they hotfix before the dailies tomorrow.

What might happen: they let this crazy stuff go through.

What probably will happen: they cancel Pauper dailies until this bug gets fixed, and then never fix it because gently caress me for playing Pauper.

I don't get it. What's the bug?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

High Tide and Merchant Scroll were commons in Fallen Empires and Homelands respectively, but on MTGO they're uncommons and normally aren't legal in Pauper. Other cards affected by this bug include Sinkhole, Strip Mine, and Hymn to Tourach.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I'd say Capsize is best. It can help you while you're still somewhat early in the combo, after a few High Tides it can go infinite with Cloud of Faeries, and you can bounce all your opponent's permanents and then bounce their first land each time they play it. Just remember not to wind up with too few cards in your library after comboing.

I need a quick victory. Capsize just takes so much time to actually bounce everything, then I need to keep bouncing things while attacking them, and bouncing my Clouds if they get removal pointed at them. It just takes too much time. One option is Capsize + Crusher, since a Tide and a few free spells could just let me steal wins with a quick Crusher.

Mind Sculpt is not a Sorcery. I only want to run one actual finisher, and I want it searchable to Merchant Scroll. It's Vision Charm's time to shine!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

High Tide, Hymn to Tourach, Sinkhole, Strip Mine, Merchant Scroll, and other sweet sweet cards were printed as commons in paper, but not online. They've previously not been legal in MTGO Pauper for very good reasons. Hymn, High Tide, and Strip Mine would be banned if they weren't already illegal.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Alright that fuckin owns

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is it possible they changed the rules on Pauper, or maybe they plan on changing them but it got implemented too soon by mistake?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Is it possible they changed the rules on Pauper, or maybe they plan on changing them but it got implemented too soon by mistake?

You're talking about an eternal format where they banned Storm spells. There's no way this isn't a fuckup.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

LordSaturn posted:

You're talking about an eternal format where they banned Storm spells MTGO. There's no way this isn't a fuckup.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Yeah I was going to say, having them change it to sync up with the cardboard legality would be a pretty cool move on their part, only if that's what they were trying to do then they forgot the "ban stuff" step. :v:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
This is just a prelude to the new format of vintage pauper and modern pauper

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
It's kind of amusing how far and fast fetchlands have fallen in value on MODO. I think some of the temples held value better than this.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

JerryLee posted:

Yeah I was going to say, having them change it to sync up with the cardboard legality would be a pretty cool move on their part, only if that's what they were trying to do then they forgot the "ban stuff" step. :v:

The only advantage that has is to enable the Elemental Blasts to be playable in Pauper, which is dumb. Everything else is either useless or way overpowered. Also Sinkhole would be a $30 pauper card if not banned.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

tirinal posted:

It's kind of amusing how far and fast fetchlands have fallen in value on MODO. I think some of the temples held value better than this.
Not really- this is about where Zendikar fetches were as well. Temples were worth pretty small amounts when they were current except the JoU ones because no one drafted that format.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

What does the MODO terms of agreement say about exploiting bugs? Will I get in trouble if I use my 4 Hymn to Tourach, 4 Sinkhole, 4 Strip Mine deck in a Pauper daily?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Didn't they kill pauper dailies/any way to make pauper profitable? Or did they keep the dailies but nerf the prizes or something?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Terrible Horse posted:

Didn't they kill pauper dailies/any way to make pauper profitable? Or did they keep the dailies but nerf the prizes or something?

They nerfed prizes, but the events still fire.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Dumb question, are morphs valid targets for spells like sultai charm which stipulates the target has to be monocoloured or does being colourless not count?

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
It would be great if it was indeed a giant oversight on Wizards' part but instead of owning up to it they realize they have an easy out and announce that it was their intention to align online Pauper legality with paper, just to avoid embarrassment.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wurzag posted:

Dumb question, are morphs valid targets for spells like sultai charm which stipulates the target has to be monocoloured or does being colourless not count?

Colourless is not monocoloured.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Wurzag posted:

Colorless does not count. See: Ultimate Price cannot kill Mutavault.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

What does the MODO terms of agreement say about exploiting bugs? Will I get in trouble if I use my 4 Hymn to Tourach, 4 Sinkhole, 4 Strip Mine deck in a Pauper daily?

AFAIK, all the bug exploit decks like Spirespine and Order of Succession are reprehensible but not bannable, so I'd expect this is fine too.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

LordSaturn posted:

AFAIK, all the bug exploit decks like Spirespine and Order of Succession are reprehensible but not bannable, so I'd expect this is fine too.

"Reprehensible, but not bannable". Sounds good to me!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Did glittering wish just get banned?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I am glad I could bring all of this joy with news of this super loving goofy MODO bug.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

Did glittering wish just get banned?

I can't access magic.wizards.com to even tell you either way. All I know is the Gatherer still says it's Modern-legal. :shrug:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I can't access magic.wizards.com to even tell you either way. All I know is the Gatherer still says it's Modern-legal. :shrug:

Banlists are only updated when they release a new set.

Also if they ban Wish but not Ascendancy I will be furious and surprised, since you'd have thought they'd have learned their lesson with combo decks powered by three-mana enchantments.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I don't think they're going to ban Ascendancy before it can make some actual tournament appearances. As strong as it is, that'd be overly aggressive

Meanwhile, banning Glittering Wish would just be silly

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The real problem is I was checking out Maro's KTK card stories and the site broke before I could get to part 2. :argh:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm sure they're comfortable sitting on it longer.

I'd much rather see them ban Ascension and kill the deck rather than ban wish to try and make it "fair."

Glittering Wish is a fun and cool card and I would be sad to see it banned. That plus banning Wish might just kill the deck anyway so why not just ban Ascension in the first place?

EDIT: Ban Cerulian Wisps.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 10, 2014

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Nibble posted:

Pro tip: If you Nemesis Wave for 6 and hit End Hostilities, put it on the stack after all the creatures. (Kenji just put it on the stack first and his reaction is golden, he's so deflated)

What card is this referring to? I can't find one called Nemesis Wave, and Genesis Wave only hits permanents.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Cozz posted:

What card is this referring to? I can't find one called Nemesis Wave, and Genesis Wave only hits permanents.
Villainous Wealth.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cozz posted:

Villainous Wealth.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Cozz posted:

I think it's a nickname for Villainous Wealth.

Card nicknames are annoying. Except Taylor Swiftspear.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Thanks for the quick response, I didn't realize it was nicknamed Nemesis Wave. I also believe I looked at the card the other day and I'm surprised I didn't remember it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Wouldn't you resolve the Hostilities first, not last? You clear the board and get a bunch of creatures, right? Or is that what he meant due to the wording?

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

bhsman posted:

Wouldn't you resolve the Hostilities first, not last? You clear the board and get a bunch of creatures, right? Or is that what he meant due to the wording?

Kenji mistakenly put it on the stack first, so it would resolve last and wipe any of the creatures he got anyway.

Other than Ashcloud Phoenix anyway, which chat had to have a huge argument about because it doesn't specify 'under your control' or 'under its owner's control' on the card.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bhsman posted:

In order to resolve it first, you must put it on the stack last. Last in, first out is the rule.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

In order to resolve it first, you must put it on the stack last. Last in, first out is the rule.

That's what I said, but the wording confused me at first.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
On the subject of eternal format bannings, there's a lot of people already asking for Treasure Cruise to be banned, which is kind of weird / quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I don't think there's any way that Ascendency itself isn't the card that eats a ban if they go after the modern Ascendency deck. I could see them keeping it if there was a way to push it from a turn 3 to a turn 4 win, but the list of cards you'd have to ban to do that would be massive

• Locked thread