Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember when I was in Vancouver, I was thinking "haha some 'sky'-train" when I was on the Canada Line in Vancouver city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

EricBauman posted:

ok ok, the lighter part in the middle of the city, that's where four of those lines go underground for two stops. Quit making my city look bad!

To be fair, it's cool that the lines go through a building or two before they go underground.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

What backwards countries build trains on the ground or even under it, then entrusts its safety to fallible bags of meat?? The future is about SKY TRAINS, run by perfect thinking machines.

We only have 3 lines and it still manages to confuse non-natives.

Skytrain control is pretty old and obsolete now too, as residents should know from the recent service interruptions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my dad posted:

Sorry to divert from underground spaghetti chat, but I just saw these posted elsewhere and figured they belong here too:

After a bit of googling, I also found this one:

Notice the year, and check out Ukraine.

I do not get Romania. Baltics have some of the tallest people in Europe yet are 'hobbits'. :confused:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

SaltyJesus posted:

Barcelona's public transportation owns and it's gonna own even harder once they connect the two tram networks through Avinguda Diagonal and finish lines 9 and 10.

Too bad they all speak annoying not-French.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Riso posted:

Behold Vienna's five subway lines.

And the turquoise-colored U5 is underway, raising it to six! (don't ask about sequential numbering)

Honestly, of all the major cities in the world I've been to, the Wiener Linien are at the top of my list for awesome oeffis.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Dotted lines seem to be "under construction" or planned:

computer parts fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 10, 2014

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

my dad posted:

Sorry to divert from underground spaghetti chat, but I just saw these posted elsewhere and figured they belong here too:

Based on my extensive knowledge of Internet stereotypes, I feel like Serbia should be at least twice as big on this map. Like so:

Comedy option:

e: Oh wait, just saw the "Western Serbia" and "Serbian Coast". Faith in stereotypes restored.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is in regards to the why is Europe a continent thing from a few pages back. I think the best way is just to refer to it as the "European subcontinent".

Also best way to tell how distorted a map is to look at the map's depiction of Great Britain and Nigeria. Laid over top of Nigeria north to south, that island can fit inside its borders. It's a pretty easy way to quickly spot distortion.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Am I too late for transit maps?

Detroit will soon have a light rail system. :unsmith:

Detroit also used to have a light rail system. :smith:

Action-Man
Aug 12, 2007

Adventure Time
come on grab your friends
The current DC metro:

DC used to have an extensive trolly system as well:

Of course that was all ripped out.

This is also great:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2014/07/25/so-we-have-silver-line-whats-next/

Shows the evolution of the metro through time.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Amsterdam:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
San Antonio's mass transit:

While we may not have light rail here (yet), San Antonio does have an impressively large system of VIA busses, which is fairly well funded (especially for Texas). I actually ride VIA twice a week myself.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fade5 posted:

San Antonio's mass transit:

While we may not have light rail here (yet), San Antonio does have an impressively large system of VIA busses, which is fairly well funded (especially for Texas). I actually ride VIA twice a week myself.

San Antonio is particularly sad because there are still San Antonio Streetcar Company streetcars in operation, but not in San Antonio.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DarkCrawler posted:

Never actually used it, but New York City Subway is my favorite subway. Though the station names are awful and unimaginative.

Uh, unimaginative? It's street names and neighborhood names, the same as most transit systems use. What, are they supposed to be completely unrelated to the location?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
The 2:10 from Sector Wow to the Sunshine Zone is now boarding on Platform Twee.

Jon Leibowitz
Feb 11, 2004

It turns into a subway downtown :shobon:

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
São Paulo metropolitan transport Network

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh, unimaginative? It's street names and neighborhood names, the same as most transit systems use. What, are they supposed to be completely unrelated to the location?

If you want to complain, blame New York's extensive systematic street naming system repeating itself in pretty much every borough (so that there are 5 stops named 86th St on 12 different lines, or how, on the R line, 45th St is in Brooklyn, 46th St is in Queens, and 49th St is in Manhattan... I don't think there's an identically named street stop on the same line in two different boroughs at least)

EDIT: The closest you get on that last is the D line which stops at 50th St (Brooklyn) and 47-50th Sts (Manhattan)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 10, 2014

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

computer parts posted:

Dotted lines seem to be "under construction" or planned:

I don't know why these maps shows Taiwan as part of China, but it has an HSR going down the west coast.

Nintendo Kid posted:

You can do better than street names though. Name them after local landmarks or areas, so people know that if they want to go to St Paul's they need to go to the station called St Paul's, or whatever. Or a sixteenth-century pub or something.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 10, 2014

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think I'd prefer street names.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

House Louse posted:

I don't know why these maps shows Taiwan as part of China, but it has an HSR going down the west coast.

Uh, because there is only one China, and Taiwan is a part of China. Duh.

And to bring this back to the politically-loaded theme: see also the superfluous Diaoyu Island callout

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If you want to complain, blame New York's extensive systematic street naming system repeating itself in pretty much every borough (so that there are 5 stops named 86th St on 12 different lines, or how, on the R line, 45th St is in Brooklyn, 46th St is in Queens, and 49th St is in Manhattan... I don't think there's an identically named street stop on the same line in two different boroughs at least)

EDIT: The closest you get on that last is the D line which stops at 50th St (Brooklyn) and 47-50th Sts (Manhattan)

The thing is there aren't repeated street names on the same line or service in the same borough. Even when the actual station locations might mean that you could plausibly have done so (I think that's the case on a few of them in Queens, and they deliberately picked other streets as the name).

House Louse posted:

You can do better than street names though. Name them after local landmarks or areas, so people know that if they want to go to St Paul's they need to go to the station called St Paul's, or whatever. Or a sixteenth-century pub or something.

But they are named after local landmarks when there's a local landmark to name after? Did you even look at the map? Or more so, have you ever been to New York?

For many of the places there are too drat many landmarks that could be used and for other there aren't any really to speak of. Do keep in mind that the lines will be typically be referred to as the street they're under for most of their route, meaning that for example 23rd St on the 8th Avenue line (served by the C and E during the day and the A and E at night) is of course centered on 23rd street and 8th avenue intersection.

Here's some landmark named NYC subway stations in no particular order:
World Trade Center
42nd Street - Grand Central
42nd Street - Bryant Park
42nd Street - Times Square
City Hall
Court Square
Middle Village - Metropolitan Avenue
Aqueduct Racetrack - North Conduit Avenue
Kew Gardens - Union Turnpike
Broadway Junction
South Ferry

Basically there's tons of them where there's landmarks that are actually relevant and non-ambiguous.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Name them after important battles of the revolution or political concepts.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Badger of Basra posted:

Name them after important battles of the revolution or political concepts.

We already have a Wall Street. Also several streets listed as station names are also names of Revolution battle sites, iirc.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

BART owns, and is easily the most decipherable map posted yet.

I think it's worth pointing out that that map is a system overview, it's missing a whole bunch of stops. For instance the vast majority of VTA stops:

If you added every stop it would get pretty hard to read pretty fast.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Uh, because there is only one China, and Taiwan is a part of China. Duh.

And to bring this back to the politically-loaded theme: see also the superfluous Diaoyu Island callout

I feel they missed a chance to put "planned" railway/HSR lines on the Senakakus, I mean Diaoyus. Speaking of China:

Nintendo Kid posted:

But they are named after local landmarks when there's a local landmark to name after? Did you even look at the map? Or more so, have you ever been to New York?

Ah, New York, the city where a road is a landmark if it has a name rather than a number, or letter. A place where nothing has ever been built or happened. I have been wise not to go there.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Bloodnose posted:

Also as I said that map is not showing just the subway system. It's a combined map of all the rail services in the Tokyo metro area. Including JR, Keio, Keikyu and so on.

Yeah, it shows all the lines an actual person would take to move around Tokyo. Just showing the subway would be silly and not really an accurate picture of public rail transportation in many places.

Tokyo is also not the only place in Japan where train lines are a huge mess due to private train companies. Here's Kyoto:

The only thing that has made any of this nonsense more bearable in the last few years has been the proliferation of train apps and commonly-accepted IC cards that make paying a lot easier.

It's still a real pain for tourists, though, because it's sometimes difficult to figure out if a given coupon/voucher will work for a given train/bus line.

The only city I know of in Japan that's not a real pain is Sapporo because their busses and trains are all on the same city-run system. So you just buy a public transportation pass, and then swipe it for any public transportation in the city. It really spoiled me while I was on study abroad.

The only gotcha to the IC card system is that tiny lines out in the boonies don't have IC card readers yet, and in my prefecture there's a real stupid thing where you can board a train with an IC card only to end up going to a place where they have no IC reader for you to use when leaving the station. Train station staff are not happy with you when that happens.

Carbon dioxide posted:

To be fair, it's cool that the lines go through a building or two before they go underground.

I raise you a road that goes through a building.

This is also in Tokyo.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 10, 2014

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't think the emphasis on Paris is very healthy, but it has to be said they've been very effective at creating a single, unified nation out of a disparate group of ethnicities and regions. Most minority languages have been all but eradicated and post-1789 French culture can be described as a relentless assimilation machine almost on par with American culture that is similarly only starting to break down in the last few decades due to the rise of postmodern identity politics and more diversified immigration. I think states like Spain wish they had taken notes during the nineteenth century instead of clinging to traditionalism.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
You say that like it's a good thing.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

I don't think the emphasis on Paris is very healthy, but it has to be said they've been very effective at creating a single, unified nation out of a disparate group of ethnicities and regions. Most minority languages have been all but eradicated and post-1789 French culture can be described as a relentless assimilation machine almost on par with American culture that is similarly only starting to break down in the last few decades due to the rise of postmodern identity politics and more diversified immigration. I think states like Spain wish they had taken notes during the nineteenth century instead of clinging to traditionalism.

I guess if you consider suppressing native cultures and languages in the interests of nationalism it's a good thing, but not really otherwise.

Coincidentally I'm always surprised at how lovely France's colonial record is. People usually think of Britain as the big bad but I think France was and is at least as awful, possibly worse. Certainly worse today, they seem to have never dropped the idea of the white man's burden and never stopped acting on it. Britain let the colonies go relatively peacefully, France still has some.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Phlegmish posted:

Spoken like a true Paradox fan.

icantfindaname posted:

I guess if you consider suppressing native cultures and languages in the interests of nationalism it's a good thing, but not really otherwise.

Coincidentally I'm always surprised at how lovely France's colonial record is. People usually think of Britain as the big bad but I think France was and is at least as awful, possibly worse. Certainly worse today, they seem to have never dropped the idea of the white man's burden and never stopped acting on it. Britain let the colonies go relatively peacefully, France still has some.

Those are not colonies, those are core French regions, indivisible from the mother country and the holy French clay. :france:

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

Britain let the colonies go relatively peacefully, France still has some.

What makes you say that? They both have colonial remnants:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Overseas_Territories
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overseas_departments_and_territories_of_France

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

doverhog posted:

You say that like it's a good thing.

I don't think he's saying it like it's a good thing, he's saying it like it is. France has been extremely effective in crushing smaller cultures, there's zero question about that. Without France's colonial efforts it would be hard to imagine Corsicans, Alsatians and Bretons being in the same country. I'm reminded of that Wikileaks cable:

quote:

Rocard, like former president Valery Giscard d’Estaing
(reftel), believes that French history provides the keys for
understanding French politics and France’s policies.
Rocard’s point of departure is France’s emergence as a
nation-state. The history of other European nation-states is
that of linguistic communities serving their trade needs.
France created itself by destroying five cultures — Breton,
Occitan, Alsatian, Corsican, and Flemish. "We are the only
European nation which is the military creation of a
non-homogeneous State. This makes France difficult to govern
to this day. This explains our difficulty in reforming, our
slowness," he said.

I'm sure that with the Catalans dead set on having their referendum Prime Minister Rajoy wishes that Spain had put in as much effort as France has.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

You've got to understand though that not all of this assimilation was a violent or brutal process - for people who spoke a minority language, getting an education and learning French provided them with a way forward out of poverty and illiteracy. The idea behind imposing French was that it would emancipate people and turn them into involved citizens, instead of keeping them confined to a local, backwards culture. Of course, this is a misguided and heavy-handed belief, but it wasn't all as terrible as some people think it was.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ErIog posted:

It's still a real pain for tourists, though, because it's sometimes difficult to figure out if a given coupon/voucher will work for a given train/bus line.

This is what sucks about Japanese metro systems. Multiple companies with different tickets and different stations and there's no indication which is which (at least in English). Osaka, for example, has a main central subway station called Namba. Except there are actually three or four different Nambas, all called Namba, all in different parts of the same central neighborhood and all using different tickets. I've been told it's easier when you live there since you have a single subway card and you learn the system but it is absolute bullshit as a tourist.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
You can't post all these subway maps without posting the best one. The subway maps of subway and lightrail systems around the world, inspired by the one and only original London Underground map.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

sweek0 posted:

You can't post all these subway maps without posting the best one. The subway maps of subway and lightrail systems around the world, inspired by the one and only original London Underground map.

This subway layout was very poorly designed. It's absurd that the only way to get to Australia is via Tehran, and that people on Kyushu and Shikoku have to go all the way through Taiwan, China and both Koreas to get to Honshu. :colbert:

It's pretty realistic that the only way to get from Seattle to Vancouver is to go all the way across North America and back again, though.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

the jizz taxi posted:

You've got to understand though that not all of this assimilation was a violent or brutal process - for people who spoke a minority language, getting an education and learning French provided them with a way forward out of poverty and illiteracy. The idea behind imposing French was that it would emancipate people and turn them into involved citizens, instead of keeping them confined to a local, backwards culture. Of course, this is a misguided and heavy-handed belief, but it wasn't all as terrible as some people think it was.

The white man's burden is a pretty gross concept, even when applied against other white people. If you don't find the idea of convincing people that their native language and culture is inherently backwards and inferior to be all that terrible I don't know what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

I'm just saying that I understand why some people did as they did, not that I approve.