Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Baron Snow posted:

Was it Blue Table or someone else that was using actual sweat shop labor to do it's painting?

Blue Table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

murghouls bomb-rear end titties should be on every page

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Pyrolocutus posted:

Behold, the gamer way to emphasize womanhood: huge, mostly-bared breasts that look like plastic surgery done by the lowest bidder.

And absurd amounts of eye-searing pink.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Weeeeee

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Did you post that in the wrong thread or something?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

SRM posted:

Weeeeee

paging Moola

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
That poor skelington :(

Also if you haven't watched that blue table painting video its worth the hilarity, especially when the guy talks about how much it cost him

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SRM posted:

Weeeeee

I've been reading along with this thread but this image right here is the first thing to make me just crack the gently caress up.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"Whose skeleton is this, Brother Ossuary"

"It's Mine" :vomarine:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Rulebook Heavily posted:

"Whose skeleton is this, Brother Ossuary"

"It's Mine" :vomarine:

Gene seed extraction gone horribly wrong...or horribly right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Finders keepers
losers... vomit uncontrollably?
no that's not it
losers are purged by holy fire in the name of the Emperor?
hmm yes

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

JerryLee posted:

paging Moola

Haha lookit that cheeky little skelly hitching a free ride. What a lil skamp!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Vermintide posted:

I ended up sitting through that whole video in dumbfounded horror. My wallet weeps as I think to imagine the hundreds of dollars spent on that army, and the hundreds-- thousands?? more he tossed at Blue Table to have it painted to such a lazy, terrible standard. Level 4 = covering eyes with one hand, blindly waving the airbrush with the other? Man, if I was handed such nice, pricey models it would be physically impossible for me to not put every bit of TLC I could into 'em. Especially if I was being also handed tons of cash with them.

Super creepy how much work was put into the naked slavechick fillers/tokens compared to, well, the rest of the army. That poor Elemental of Fire.

How are these guys still doing business? How is it even legal for them to keep and sell and army if the customer is displeased and doesn't pay the last 35 percent? Just how?

Shawn Gately's comments on that video are hilarious, too. It's basically BTP trying to either spin things in their favor, pretending nothing is wrong, or blaming the client for poor communication as to why things turned out the way they did. :rolleyes:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Shawn Gately's comments on that video are hilarious, too. It's basically BTP trying to either spin things in their favor, pretending nothing is wrong, or blaming the client for poor communication as to why things turned out the way they did. :rolleyes:
Isn't that the first rule of retail? The customer is always wrong :v:
Wait, maybe I've got that around the wrong way. Stockholm syndrome does that to you :shrug:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
BTP is an absolute scam. If you go looking online you can find a guy who lost money when employed by them, after having traveled to work there from Texas I believe.

A friend of mine really loves BTP because it's what he wishes he could do, and convinced another friend of ours to get his Yu Jing sectorial force painted up to level 4, and it was a shockingly crap paint job, and took drat ages to do. He kept trying to explain it all away that getting nice miniatures cost money, but it wasn't any better than what our friend could do, even with his meagre painting skills.

Don't ever use these guys, they're a complete scam and Shaun is a blight on the industry.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^
Yeah, I heard horror stories of people going in for an interview and getting a bunch of models to paint to show their skills. Once the models are painted? Yup, goodbye thanks for trying... too bad it was just an interview so we can't pay you for the time.

The worse thing about that video is the consistency. Some models have the glow effect, some don't. In the same unit it looks bad. Some of the train pieces look much better than others.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

LordAba posted:

^^^
Yeah, I heard horror stories of people going in for an interview and getting a bunch of models to paint to show their skills. Once the models are painted? Yup, goodbye thanks for trying... too bad it was just an interview so we can't pay you for the time.

The worse thing about that video is the consistency. Some models have the glow effect, some don't. In the same unit it looks bad. Some of the train pieces look much better than others.

That's a serious red flag and really should be a suable issue. Insofar as my limited knowledge goes, in creative fields you submit a portfolio, or at most demonstrate working knowledge of the software/tools, but not actually produce a meaningful product. I take it these guys are in the US and someone needs to run their asses up the AG's flagpole and soon!

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

YF19pilot posted:

That's a serious red flag and really should be a suable issue. Insofar as my limited knowledge goes, in creative fields you submit a portfolio, or at most demonstrate working knowledge of the software/tools, but not actually produce a meaningful product. I take it these guys are in the US and someone needs to run their asses up the AG's flagpole and soon!

Hahahahaha. We allow companies to hire people to real work and be paid in "experience" (unpaid interns) This guy is just par for the course. Considering the stuff I've seen with painting services here, the most ethical option seems to be the third-world sweatshop variety. They pay more to the worker, and you don't end up supporting fash trash.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that BTP is the company that IIRC openly talked about not wanting to hire a disabled person because they'd have to deal with EEO stuff at that point. I'd love nothing more than Johnny Law to ruin their poo poo repeated.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 10, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

rkajdi posted:

Hahahahaha. We allow companies to hire people to real work and be paid in "experience" (unpaid interns) This guy is just par for the course. Considering the stuff I've seen with painting services here, the most ethical option seems to be the third-world sweatshop variety. They pay more to the worker, and you don't end up supporting fash trash.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that BTP is the company that IIRC openly talked about not wanting to hire a disabled person because they'd have to deal with EEO stuff at that point. I'd love nothing more than Johnny Law to ruin their poo poo repeated.

Not to give validity to unpaid internships, but they are at least an arrangement made in contract, versus tricking someone into rendering a product, service, or employ under the false pretense of "an interview". A particularly litigious AG would enjoy ruining them. But that also depends on what state they are in.

But we've already established they are poo poo stains, let's not derail the thread by arguing about the color.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

YF19pilot posted:

But we've already established they are poo poo stains, let's not derail the thread by arguing about the color.
I'd say they are the old half-dried Snakebite Leather from a screw-top pot, with a touch of Thraka Green full of pigment flakes.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

YF19pilot posted:

McDonalds does this all the time. Before you get hired in they have you do an On Job Evaluation which can be anywhere from 1 to 8 hours of work. When I worked there in high school it was quite common for the parents of 16 year old kids to come in and go "what do you mean my kid isn't getting money for those 16 hours?" And it would become a scene and they'd have to make phone calls and it took about an hour before the kid got paid.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

YF19pilot posted:

Not to give validity to unpaid internships, but they are at least an arrangement made in contract, versus tricking someone into rendering a product, service, or employ under the false pretense of "an interview". A particularly litigious AG would enjoy ruining them. But that also depends on what state they are in.

Blue Table is either in Utah or Arizona, so really is the Land that Law Forgot for job creators. There was zero defense of these guys, just that they were going to get away with it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
IIRC there was a story on Tabletop Gaming News (at least, I think it was that site) that involved BTP in some way, probably about their failed "Give us money so we can buy models to sell to you" Kickstarter. Someone commented negatively on it, Gately responded, and then I think it just snowballed from there. I think the guy who drove from Texas told his story, along with the husband and wife who said they were told to file their taxes as independent contractors (rather than as full-time employees, which they actually were), and when they didn't, all of a sudden there were all kinds of "problems" with their work and they were eventually let go. :iiam:

E: also I think the guy from Texas was the one who said that Gately made negative comments about hiring people with disabilities. I think he said it was during a Skype interview, when the guy happened to mention he got a small disability check from the VA. Gately kept forgetting to put the call on mute and would lean over and make comments to the manager sitting next to him, unaware that the guy on the other end of the call heard everything he was saying. :laugh:

E2: also forgot to say just how awesome this really is :c00lbert:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 10, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

You put this in the wrong thread.

edit: The tray is a baking sheet :allears:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Business Gorillas posted:

You put this in the wrong thread.

edit: The tray is a baking sheet :allears:

There's been several pics in here that sure as hell don't belong in here because they're loving rad as hell.

See:

SRM posted:

Weeeeee

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
An awesome idea ruined by not casting bases in dark chocolate so everything's edible :(

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Calico Noose posted:

Why does it seem like so many 40K players attempt to bake their armies? I've never gone to a Warmachine tournament and had anybody try to field croissants of Menoth against me.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ I'm pretty sure that's a Warriors of Chaos Fantasy army. :spergin:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

And I'm pretty sure that the emphasis was on "bake their armies".

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Does anyone have pics of the all Dryad WHFB Wood Elf army that was 90% different model railroad trees and hedges with googly eyes glued on?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
While we're talking about weird counts-as, someone link the Flames of War army modeled as target silhouettes and inflatable tank decoys.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 12, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just saw this on Dakka:

Why? The conversion looks like it could be cool, but anyone can paint better than that.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It would look fine if he used Matte Varnish. The problem with painting effects like heavy shiny inks and dipping is that the shinyness of the ink/dip basically removes the layering effect caused by using them via light reflection. You need to either go over them with matte varnish to get rid of the shine or mix in matte medium when you apply them (GW washes for instance contain matte medium which is why they cloud sometimes if improperly used). It also doesn't help that he has made the problem worse by using a very bright flash that in combination with the shiny wash lights up parts of the model that wouldn't even be visible in normal light (the mouth for instance).

Without all the light based fuckery it probably looks more like this in real life: http://ladytygress.deviantart.com/art/40K-Chaos-Nurgle-Typhus-42461486

The undercoating is better on that mini, but you get the idea.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 13, 2014

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Does anyone have pics of the all Dryad WHFB Wood Elf army that was 90% different model railroad trees and hedges with googly eyes glued on?
I think I need this in my life :allears:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

HiveCommander posted:

I think I need this in my life :allears:

It used to have a thread on Asrai but I cant seem to find it now.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It would look fine if he used Matte Varnish. The problem with painting effects like heavy shiny inks and dipping is that the shinyness of the ink/dip basically removes the layering effect caused by using them via light reflection. You need to either go over them with matte varnish to get rid of the shine or mix in matte medium when you apply them (GW washes for instance contain matte medium which is why they cloud sometimes if improperly used). It also doesn't help that he has made the problem worse by using a very bright flash that in combination with the shiny wash lights up parts of the model that wouldn't even be visible in normal light (the mouth for instance).

Without all the light based fuckery it probably looks more like this in real life: http://ladytygress.deviantart.com/art/40K-Chaos-Nurgle-Typhus-42461486

The undercoating is better on that mini, but you get the idea.

The issue is the basecoating is crappy and too thick, not gloss finish. The light didn't help much, but it's not the main issue.

For your enjoyment, here's another crappy pic from dakka. Crappy tiger striping? Check. Bizarre color choice? Check. Stupid girly decal? Check. It's paint by numbers for a bad IG tank.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
True professionals know that everything from your bits box can and should go onto your Rhinos. Bonus points for attaching them in nonsensical places such as vents:

Not shown in this picture: condition listed as primed (all those clearly primed metal bits, eh?), non-drilled barrels, weird unidentifiable bits tacked onto the back, gunner with arm broken off, asking price of $20.

My only thought was that maybe they were trying to make a counts-as Razorback?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Don't forget the backwards smokestack!