Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Lagrange posted:

you are wrong.

He was a racist rear end in a top hat, but he was good at writing horror stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
he really was the driving force behind weird fiction though

there wasn't anything like that in american literature before, it was still mostly gothic horror with a few outliers

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
using words like "squamous" is the lamest thing i can conceive of, but im also totally queer for five dollar words like "squamous" so in conclusion lovecraft can be compared and contrasted i.m.o.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

he really was the driving force behind weird fiction though

there wasn't anything like that in american literature before, it was still mostly gothic horror with a few outliers

no, he wasn't. that was m.r. james, lord dunsany, and arthur machen who popularized it, lovecraft just popularized the term "weird fiction" and wrote some of the first materialist horror

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Effectronica posted:

no, he wasn't. that was m.r. james, lord dunsany, and arthur machen who popularized it, lovecraft just popularized the term "weird fiction" and wrote some of the first materialist horror

they aren't american

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Effectronica posted:

he also left all his work to the public. He was a racist rear end in a top hat, but anyone can use his ideas now.
Does anyone have that pic from the Planetary/Authority comic?
"Negro Eggs!"

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Lagrange posted:

you are wrong.

No he's a bad writer who had some neat ideas.

But lol at "Wow what do those long weird words even mean, why doesn't this 1920s dude write like a Twitter post?!?"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

James is the only american

nope, that's henry james, and he ain't a weird fiction author. ambrose bierce and walter de la mare are americans that are classified as weird fiction writers and were popular, but those three really defined a lot of horror alongside lovecraft and then matheson slightly later

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Effectronica posted:

nope, that's henry james, and he ain't a weird fiction author. ambrose bierce and walter de la mare are americans that are classified as weird fiction writers and were popular, but those three really defined a lot of horror alongside lovecraft and then matheson slightly later

post was edited earlier

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

post was edited earlier

lovecraft even complained about how his works could be split into dunsany pastiches and poe pastiches, dude, and machen produced one of the other big strains of horror, with james providing a constant source of inspiration. matheson and lovecraft were the first americans to really revolutionize horror fiction

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Effectronica posted:

matheson and lovecraft were the first americans to really revolutionize horror fiction

this is what i said from the very beginning...

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

that you hate eskimos? That's what H.P. said

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

oh, whoopsy-daisy

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
OP is good at making a post count thread.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Who? Sorry, I only read mangas and Dan Brown novels.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Both lovecraft and tolkien made extensive use of lacunae ie. never describe any detail so the reader can use his [sic] imagination to fill in the blanks, which means the reader that sees cool stuff in them probably has more creativity than they had, and that's one reason lovecraft and tolkien fanfiction is better than the real thing

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Troll Bridgington posted:

Who? Sorry, I only read mangas and Dan Brown novels.

Bullshit!

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
My favorite Lovecraft story is "Medusa's Coil", a colab work with another writer.

There's a lady whose hair is alive, and there's evil powers, and a curse, but the final jump scare, the horrifying, mind-destroying revelation in the final line of the story is "She was a negress."

Dude still put more thought into his aliens than any sci-fi you see on TV these days, so that's something.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

the best lovecraft stories are the ones that end like this and oh my god it's here it is indescribable i am finished!!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

butplug accident posted:

Both lovecraft and tolkien made extensive use of lacunae ie. never describe any detail so the reader can use his [sic] imagination to fill in the blanks, which means the reader that sees cool stuff in them probably has more creativity than they had, and that's one reason lovecraft and tolkien fanfiction is better than the real thing

this isn't the case, sadly. would htat it were so

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
That feel when you wake up and a new probation you didn't know you got just ended

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i never could tell wtf lovecraft was shooting for in his descriptions of the great race of yith or the old ones v:shobon:v

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

I'll loving cut you.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Effectronica posted:

this isn't the case, sadly. would htat it were so

The former's true at least

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
a barrel with tentacles and poo poo? a triangle-head-neck-trumpet thing? ok howie, whatever you please.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

the best lovecraft stories are the ones that end like this and oh my god it's here it is indescribable i am finished!!

You mean literally the single one?

I guess you could be talking about Dagon. It ends sort of like that, but you know what the fish-people look like.

Seriously the dude is a wealth of problems and complexes, but not describing his monsters isn't one of them.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Rats in the Walls posted:

As I have said, I moved in on July 16, 1923. My household consisted of seven servants and nine cats, of which latter species I am particularly fond. My eldest cat, “friend of the family-Man”, was seven years old and had come with me from my home in Bolton, Massachusetts; the others I had accumulated whilst living with Capt. Norrys’ family during the restoration of the priory. For five days our routine proceeded with the utmost placidity, my time being spent mostly in the codification of old family data. I had now obtained some very circumstantial accounts of the final tragedy and flight of Walter de la Poer, which I conceived to be the probable contents of the hereditary paper lost in the fire at Carfax. It appeared that my ancestor was accused with much reason of having killed all the other members of his household, except four servant confederates, in their sleep, about two weeks after a shocking discovery which changed his whole demeanour, but which, except by implication, he disclosed to no one save perhaps the servants who assisted him and afterward fled beyond reach.

Racist, but man was he an entertaining writer.

As much as I love the Cthulhu stuff, Herbert West is my favorite ghost story of his: http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/hwr.aspx

Lagrange
Apr 27, 2002

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

No he's a bad writer who had some neat ideas.

But lol at "Wow what do those long weird words even mean, why doesn't this 1920s dude write like a Twitter post?!?"

?

What are you talking about?

And what is this thing coming out of my pineal gland?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

butplug accident posted:

The former's true at least

i've got a "cthulhu mythos megapack" and "new cthulhu: the recent weird" on my kindle, believe me, it isn't, and i wish it weren't true every day of my life that i think about gayass genre fiction

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

yeah, because when he wasn't being a racist rear end in a top hat, he was good at horror.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

My favorite Lovecraft story is "Medusa's Coil", a colab work with another writer.

There's a lady whose hair is alive, and there's evil powers, and a curse, but the final jump scare, the horrifying, mind-destroying revelation in the final line of the story is "She was a negress."

Dude still put more thought into his aliens than any sci-fi you see on TV these days, so that's something.

the colab works are the loving worst

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
actually, even when he was being a racist rear end in a top hat, he was good at horror. HP was always good at horror.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
the best lovecraft stories are alien, prometheus, and the classic flash game "herbert west: de-animator"

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Quick rule of thumb if an author is enjoyed almost exclusively by nerds it's because he's trash. Everything that has a fandom is trash

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

butplug accident posted:

Everything that has a fandom is trash

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

butplug accident posted:

Quick rule of thumb if an author is enjoyed almost exclusively by nerds it's because he's trash. Everything that has a fandom is trash

that means there are no good writers

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
other good lovecraft stories: t.e.d. klein's "the events at poroth farm", "petey", and "black man with a horn"

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Effectronica posted:

other good lovecraft stories: t.e.d. klein's "the events at poroth farm", "petey", and "black man with a horn"

The best not Lovecraft book is The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Read:

-The Colo(u)r out of Space
-The Rats in the Walls
-The Mountains of Madness
-The Case of Charles Dexter Ward

those are the four best Lovecraft novellas IMO and they stand up as pretty entertaining reads, okay thanks goodbye :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Seriously Lovecraft described the heck out of his horrors:

"The match had been between Kid O’Brien—a lubberly and now quaking youth with a most un-Hibernian hooked nose—and Buck Robinson, “The Harlem Smoke”. The negro had been knocked out, and a moment’s examination shewed us that he would permanently remain so. He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms which I could not help calling fore legs, and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable Congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon."

• Locked thread